Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox One Pre-Release Thread: Upscaled to 1080p! (11/22/2013)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox One Pre-Release Thread: Upscaled to 1080p! (11/22/2013)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Xbox One: We said WHAT at E3??

Yeah! Anger at unsubstantiated rumor on suspect website projected one year from now and how it'll screw over early adopters!
Old 07-09-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Just like nearly every other console launch of the last few generations. Remember how the 360 launched with no hdmi or wifi?
Other examples of consoles adding to their core specs after launch?
Old 07-09-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K&AJones
You mean to say MS is going to change something on the Xbox One...I find that totally shocking!

FWIW...it's close to 130 days before release. MS would have to manufacture close to 15,000 units per day to get around 2 Million ready for release. Probably a little late in the game to make any physical change...inside or out right now.
Let's theoretically state the console comes out November 1st. Production on retail hardware wouldn't start until August. Hell, based upon Microsoft's contracts with the manufacturing plants, they could even start in September. While I don't think MS will go to 12GB (is there even room for a third 4GB stick?), it's a nice pipe dream and brings up the question if Microsoft and Sony gave themselves buffer room to quickly change any hardware based upon what the other announced.

Originally Posted by Noonan
Even better...everyone who drops $499 at launch will get a giant slap in the face 8-12 months from now when they drop it to $399 and upgrade the specs to match the PS4! I'll be looking to pick one up around this time next year.
Technology will:
  1. Always get better, faster, stronger.
  2. Always become cheaper.
  3. Always become smaller.
We have personally seen that numerous times with both the 360 and PS3 just this current-generation alone. Outside of consoles, I waited until just a week ago to buy my wife a new laptop just to make sure it had the Haswell chip in it. I maxed it out and hopefully the computer will last her the next 5-6 years like her Sony Vaio did.

Do I regret paying $349 for a Wii U? Yes, because it sits in the entertainment center collecting dust. If Nintendo is smart, they'll drop the price this holiday. Will I regret not buying it then? Probably, but I'm already pushing it in the Chmiel household by having both a XO and PS4 on pre-order.

Will I regret paying $499 for a Xbox One? Maybe. I know I'll be playing the shit out of Call of Duty: Ghosts on it, but I'll be pissed if MS upgrades the hardware on it down the line. I honestly don't know what they would add other than say 802.11ac or whatever, but it's still a possibility.
Old 07-09-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

What effect did doubling the 360's RAM have on the games? I assume developers still had to code for the lowest denominator, but did it actually make a difference? I didn't even know about that. The only reason I got a new 360 was HDMI and the looming thread of RROD.

A lot of times the consoles will decrease the features to cut down costs. PS3 lost some inputs (for media), backwards compatibility, and Wii lost backwards compatibility as well.
Old 07-09-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Go back and check the 360 wiki page and see the history especially when MS started manufacturing and the cluster#### that followed when it was released. There were 1000's who put in for a pre-order that didn't get one and they had issues for several months afterwards.

You can be assured that demand this time around is probably anywhere from 5-10 times what it was for the 360. just look at the sale figures of the 360 the first year and compare to recently. Selling 100,000 units a month is one thing but having nearly 2+ Million at release is another.
Old 07-09-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Other examples of consoles adding to their core specs after launch?
This is what I was getting at. Adding features like HDMI is one thing; upgrading the processing power shortly after launch has never happened. Still all just a rumor but it's not a good one for MS to have floating around. There's no way they could change the specs for launch at this point.
Old 07-09-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go back and check the 360 wiki page and see the history especially when MS started manufacturing and the cluster#### that followed when it was released. There were 1000's who put in for a pre-order that didn't get one and they had issues for several months afterwards.

You can be assured that demand this time around is probably anywhere from 5-10 times what it was for the 360. just look at the sale figures of the 360 the first year and compare to recently. Selling 100,000 units a month is one thing but having nearly 2+ Million at release is another.
To be fair, Microsoft and Sony are using traditional PC architecture this generation and not IBM's PowerPC architecture. Hardware can easily be changed on the fly prior to manufacturing than before when there was little-to-no flexibility.

AMD's desktop based processors can handle up to 16GB of RAM. Based upon this, Microsoft or Sony increasing the RAM last minute is doable.
Old 07-09-13, 02:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
What effect did doubling the 360's RAM have on the games? I assume developers still had to code for the lowest denominator, but did it actually make a difference? I didn't even know about that. The only reason I got a new 360 was HDMI and the looming thread of RROD.
I think the extra RAM was solely for the dashboard stuff they were implementing and developing as well as faster loading of games. Sure, the older models can handle the current dashboard, but my Elite is kind of choppy with that.

A lot of times the consoles will decrease the features to cut down costs. PS3 lost some inputs (for media), backwards compatibility, and Wii lost backwards compatibility as well.
Interesting point. The 360 added things to later models that just weren't as important in 2005 (HDMI, Wifi) but became highly demanded. They took away some legacy outputs in later models, and got rid of a USB port or two, but never took away any true functionality.
Old 07-09-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know where this talk of upgrading the hardware AFTER launch came from. The (rumored) RAM and GPU would be upgraded now, prior to launch. This wouldn't "screw over" anybody.
Old 07-09-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by discostu1337
I don't know where this talk of upgrading the hardware AFTER launch came from. The (rumored) RAM and GPU would be upgraded now, prior to launch. This wouldn't "screw over" anybody.
Yes, the rumored RAM and GPU upgrades would happen prior to manufacturing. However, some hardware additions and upgrades that the 360 saw include:
  • HDMI output.
  • Wireless networking built-in.
  • Larger hard drives.
  • Smaller motherboards (making the console physically smaller and even quieter).
I get that HDMI and WiFi weren't as mainstream in 2005, but Sony had both of them in the PS3 at launch in 2006.

However, the final specs of either console still haven't been announced or confirmed. I'm still waiting for confirmation if the XO or PS4 will have 802.11n at 5GHz.
Old 07-09-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I assume developers still had to code for the lowest denominator...
This is exactly why nobody in their right mind would ever do this on a console.

The closest thing I can think of to an exception is the expansion pack on the N64, but even the games designed to take advantage of the expansion pack were still programmed for the lowest common denominator.
Old 07-09-13, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Is there time at this point for either MS or Sony to change the final specs with a fall release date? I would assume they both have to be already in manufacturing mode to meet the street dates.
Old 07-09-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Changing of subjects, but still relative to this thread:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/9/4508...son-green-xbox

Originally Posted by Polygon
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer will unveil his comprehensive plan to restructure the company July 11, and the internal changes include bringing the Xbox division under current Windows software and hardware boss Julie Larson-Green, reports All Things D.

The report lends further credence to Bloomberg's report from last week, which indicated the same.

Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business, which encompasses the Xbox division (Xbox One, Xbox 360, Xbox Live, Kinect) and Zune Marketplace, is currently operating without a direct boss — its former president, Don Mattrick, announced last week that he was leaving Microsoft to take over as Zynga CEO effective July 8. In the meantime, the Xbox officials who reported to Mattrick are reporting directly to Ballmer.

Ballmer's restructuring, which he hinted at in a shareholder letter last fall, has been widely reported to be focused on reorganizing Microsoft around devices and services (software). All Things D reports that under the new arrangement, Larson-Green, who currently serves as the corporate vice president of Microsoft's Windows division, will oversee all devices — including the Xbox consoles and the Surface tablet — along with music and TV services.
Old 07-09-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dunno...putting all that under one umbrella...all devices and music & TV? Sure sounds like the Xbox is heading into becoming XMedia Box One.
Old 07-09-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm picturing lots of meetings using words like "synergy" and "paradigm".
Old 07-09-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well the other day it was Gamestop stop accepting pre-orders for the PS4 Standard and today it's...

Xbox One Pre-Orders Sold Out at Best Buy

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/...e5a29f32000016
Old 07-09-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I haven't been able to pre-order one at Best Buy for awhile...
Old 07-09-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dunno...putting all that under one umbrella...all devices and music & TV? Sure sounds like the Xbox is heading into becoming XMedia Box One.
My... aren't you a clever bitch
Old 07-09-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
I haven't been able to pre-order one at Best Buy for awhile...
What is "awhile?" As of 2 weeks ago you could preorder one.

Last edited by Deftones; 07-09-13 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-09-13, 08:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Sure sounds like the Xbox is heading into becoming XMedia Box One.
No shit.
Old 07-09-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones
What is "awhile?" As of 2 weeks ago you could preorder one.
I know I looked around 2-3 weeks ago.
Old 07-10-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most people I've read online think that the changes in Microsoft look good. The rearrangements of the company. Not all people think that who they putting in charge are the right persons.

Let's wait for a confirmation first, and then we all can play that we are analysts and know what we are talking about.
Old 07-10-13, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Going back to the not accepting pre-orders anymore from some outlets involving both systems. I wonder if word gets out that Best Buy and Gamestop are not longer taking them but still available at laces like Walmart and Target that we might see here in a few weeks they too will cease to taking pre-orders? Does it cause an alarm if we suddenly see with four months to go the possibility that pre-orders on both systems are no longer being accepted?
Old 07-10-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does it cause an alarm if we suddenly see with four months to go the possibility that pre-orders on both systems are no longer being accepted?
No. Both companies have estimates of how many they can make between now and their target release date, and they'd be smart to limit pre-order allocations to retailers just short of their estimate.
Old 07-10-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if this has been answered before. Would you be able voice chat between systems? Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Text messages would be fine I guess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.