DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Bungie - Destiny

Keeps disconnecting for me
Old 06-16-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my initial impressions as I stated were not that good but I spent more time with it over the weekend and found it a bit more enjoyable

quick thoughts

don't care for any of the enemies .... boring, bland, .... giant purple eyeball, come on am I playing an old Final Fantasy game again .... well at least there weren't any full blown zombies that every game has to have

needs to be more interactive environments ... I hope not all the world(s) are without electricity and functioning mechanical equipment

weather effects that mean something .... how about a game where if I am walking through snow the depths vary by area and I am slowed down by walking through greater depths ... or snowstorms that actually change visibility .... more weightlessness in some environments, ability to jump higher, different physics, etc

ships need more customization or the ability to do something during the loading screens

I didn't play MP but what I watched of it looked pretty fun .... I'm sure I'll get smoked based on watching some of the other hardcore players and since the only FPS I really played MP on was the Killzone series

not sure if I'm sold on this yet and I get that what we have seen is a very small part of the final product but how similar will what we haven't seen be

allow me to kill the damn birds in the sky and maybe I'm sold

regardless, this Alpha was 100x better than the Battlefield Hardline Beta
Old 06-16-14, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks Decker!
Old 06-16-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mixed feelings on exclusive content. I'm not crazy about the practice in principle, but I'm also happy to get sweet loots.

Cognitive dissonance.
Old 06-16-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This game sounds a lot like Defiance. I really tried to like that game but the boss "event" fights were boring as hell. And that game also made you travel vast distances for each mission. I just didn't care for the MMO aspects. I may skip this game.
Old 06-16-14, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I played Defiance and Halo (all), Mass Effect and both Borderlands...which all seem to have a trace in Destiny or at least the Alpha. I can honestly say Defiance and Destiny are close in some areas but not in some others.

Destiny will be far more polished, far more open, far more customization, far more locations, far more level of enemies, far more weapons and far better visuals. Defiance had the right idea...Bungie has taken it and made it far, far better and larger in every way.

...and to the 'Exclusive Content'...we got ours with the Alpha and more than happy able to have played it.
Old 06-18-14, 10:19 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone want to predict first week sales on all platforms of this?

I am going to say 8 million.
Old 06-18-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
my initial impressions as I stated were not that good but I spent more time with it over the weekend and found it a bit more enjoyable

quick thoughts

don't care for any of the enemies .... boring, bland, .... giant purple eyeball, come on am I playing an old Final Fantasy game again .... well at least there weren't any full blown zombies that every game has to have

needs to be more interactive environments ... I hope not all the world(s) are without electricity and functioning mechanical equipment

weather effects that mean something .... how about a game where if I am walking through snow the depths vary by area and I am slowed down by walking through greater depths ... or snowstorms that actually change visibility .... more weightlessness in some environments, ability to jump higher, different physics, etc

ships need more customization or the ability to do something during the loading screens

I didn't play MP but what I watched of it looked pretty fun .... I'm sure I'll get smoked based on watching some of the other hardcore players and since the only FPS I really played MP on was the Killzone series

not sure if I'm sold on this yet and I get that what we have seen is a very small part of the final product but how similar will what we haven't seen be

allow me to kill the damn birds in the sky and maybe I'm sold

regardless, this Alpha was 100x better than the Battlefield Hardline Beta
The enemy design's are similar to those in Halo and I get the bland comment. The rest of the stuff I wouldn't expect from a game like this but it's understandable that some people would be put off by it. When you say MP do you mean Co-op and Deathmatch style stuff or just Deathmatch style? Since I think Destiny has a heavy emphasis on Co-op.
Old 06-18-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a reminder...Bugie has said the Alpha represented only 10% of the game itself. As far as the enemies...we only saw a portion. I engaged some in areas I'm sure we wert not suppose to be in and they didn't look like the ones encounted mainly in the Alpha. And what three of us threw at them for nearly 10 minutes didn't even damage them more than 10%.

It sort of saddens me some...not pointing out specific people here or anywhere else...have seem to pass some overall judgement of the game based on either reviews or playing the Alpha. This is only 10% of the game, one location on one planet. I remember playing with one chap who was upset they didn't include more places in the Alpha....good gosh we've becomed spoiled.
Old 06-18-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by foxdvd

First week, worldwide, on all platforms? Eight million (twice as big as Watch Dogs) sounds about right, but I'll say seven million nine hundred and ninety nine.

50% will be on PS4...slightly higher than Watch Dogs proportionally. Watch Dogs was 46% PS4 IIRC.

The Beta will be a huge factor. If it's better than the Alpha, which I loved...stand by for hype overload.
Old 06-18-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Just a reminder...Bugie has said the Alpha represented only 10% of the game itself. As far as the enemies...we only saw a portion. I engaged some in areas I'm sure we wert not suppose to be in and they didn't look like the ones encounted mainly in the Alpha. And what three of us threw at them for nearly 10 minutes didn't even damage them more than 10%.

It sort of saddens me some...not pointing out specific people here or anywhere else...have seem to pass some overall judgement of the game based on either reviews or playing the Alpha. This is only 10% of the game, one location on one planet. I remember playing with one chap who was upset they didn't include more places in the Alpha....good gosh we've becomed spoiled.
You always put your best foot forward. They knew what they were doing when they released the demo and overall, pretty successful. There will always be detractors. That said, it was a good demo.
Old 06-18-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since it looks like the Alpha ended, is there any reason to keep it installed on the system?
Old 06-18-14, 01:24 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

The Alpha was 10% of the game?!?!? Wowzers. Can't wait for the finished game.
Old 06-21-14, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bungie has released a sort of "Post Game Carnage Report of the Alpha....

.....Amount of 6.5 million Player Games

.....testers racked up 149.5 million primary weapon kills

.....21.7 million secondary weapon kills

.....21.6 million Super Ability kills

.....just over 4 million heavy weapon kills

Given that the alpha test lasted just over five days, that translates to an average of 39.36 million deaths per day - quite a bit of bloodshed for a game that has yet to enter beta testing

Source...Joystiq.com
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/20/re...from-the-moon/
Old 06-21-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's no way a new IP is going to sell 8 million in a week, especially now where there's a user base divided over four platforms. Watch Dogs has only sold 4M+ copies worldwide, with about 70-75% of that coming from the first week. I would expect similar numbers for Destiny with most of the sales coming from PS4 and Xbox One.

I expect it to be a hit, but 8M in one week? That's Destiny 2 numbers.
Old 06-21-14, 05:22 PM
gamer for life

Watch Dogs broke 4 million the first week..

http://bgr.com/2014/06/03/watch-dogs-first-week-sales/

second...

Destiny american preorders 13 weeks out 770,000..

Watch Dogs 13 weeks out 566,000

13 weeks out Watch Dogs added 6360 new preorders in America.

13 weeks out Destiny added 33,000 preorders, and that is before the Alpha hype kicked in....

Destiny continues to pull away from Watch Dogs preorders each week, and next month you have a massive beta hitting. There is no doubt in my mind it exceeds the 4 million Watch Dogs does at this point, by a lot. If it holds up the same ratio as the current preorder numbers it will easily hit 6 million. The fact that is is pulling even further ahead of Watch Dogs makes me think more.

I am sticking firmly with my 8 million prediction.
Old 06-21-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll take the under, but barely.
Old 06-21-14, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Man, I'd love for Destiny to be my first digital purchase so I don't have to deal with a disc but with Gamers Club discount ($48) + $10 pre-order bonus at Best Buy, it's hard to justify going digital.

That's something these companies need to rectify. Why aren't they selling digital game cards in stores?
Old 06-21-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's something these companies need to rectify. Why aren't they selling digital game cards in stores?
Isn't that the point of digital sales, to cut out the middle man.
Old 06-21-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Sure but wouldn't it make sense to ease people into the transition? There's no reason to go digital when the disc copy comes with a day one deal and/or extras.
Old 06-21-14, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watch Dogs broke 4 million the first week..

http://bgr.com/2014/06/03/watch-dogs-first-week-sales/

second...

Destiny american preorders 13 weeks out 770,000..

Watch Dogs 13 weeks out 566,000

13 weeks out Watch Dogs added 6360 new preorders in America.

13 weeks out Destiny added 33,000 preorders, and that is before the Alpha hype kicked in....

Destiny continues to pull away from Watch Dogs preorders each week, and next month you have a massive beta hitting. There is no doubt in my mind it exceeds the 4 million Watch Dogs does at this point, by a lot. If it holds up the same ratio as the current preorder numbers it will easily hit 6 million. The fact that is is pulling even further ahead of Watch Dogs makes me think more.

I am sticking firmly with my 8 million prediction.
Halo 3 and Halo: Reach both moved 4M+ units in their first week. While not related to Bungie, Halo 4 did similar numbers. All on one platform. Already an established IP based upon the fact nearly half the people who owned the original Xbox owned both Halo and Halo 2. Keywords: established IP.

Yes, Destiny is on four platforms compared to Halo's single. However, with multiple platforms comes fragmentation. Fragmentation comes weaker sales. Call of Duty: Ghosts proved that by moving 7M+ units over five platforms on week one (the Xbox One release was postponed until the Xbox One launch) compared to Black Ops II that moved 13M+ units across four on its first week or Modern Warfare 3 that moved 14M+ units across three.

To use another example: Grand Theft Auto V moved 18M+ units on two platforms within its first week. However, there has not been a game as anticipated as Grand Theft Auto V. Period.

Yes. The beta will be successful. Yes, Activision will be pushing a lot of money into advertising of the game because a lot is riding on it. However, let's look at the facts:
  1. The game is a new IP. While most gamers are aware of the game, Joe Sixpack who bought a PS4 or Xbox One for his family to get the latest and greatest in technology is not. While its from the creators of Halo and the publisher of Call of Duty (and that will be the note Activision has already banked on), your average consumer has no fucking clue on what it is.
  2. Your users are currently fragmented. Only a handful have already moved to the next-gen. Those users in the past-gen are probably being careful about spending their cash to purchase more games on their current platforms. If the consoles are truly on ten-year cycles, the 360 is done within a year. If anything, Watch Dogs' weak sales on the PS3 and 360 are proof of that.
  3. Madden 15, FIFA 15, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, NBA 2K15, NBA Live 15, Battlefield: Hardline, Evolve, Assassin's Creed: Unity, Grand Theft Auto V, and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare are just some of the AAA multi-platform games that all come out within weeks prior or after Destiny's release. If anything, BF:H, Evolve, and COD: AW are its strongest competition as they're all appealing to the same demographic. Most consumers don't have a disposable income to be throwing out cash on a weekly basis during the months of September, October, and November (that's why you pay for your games upfront now with pre-orders, but that's for another thread).
I can tell you that everyone I know in person that owns a PS4 or Xbox One bought Watch Dogs on release week. I can tell you for a fact that all of us have Destiny pre-ordered as well.

I think Destiny is going to be a hit and will do amazing numbers over the holiday season as word will have fully spread about the game, but not all during its first week.
Old 06-21-14, 11:42 PM
gamer for life

When Halo 3 launched there were 8 million xbox 360 users in America..(not sure world wide, but prob less than 15 million)

Not fair to compare sales on 15 million units with one with sales on over 100 million units...

Halo Reach was not part of the main series, and followed lowered sales of Halo ODST. AND it was on one system.

You are comparing Ghost sales to past Call of Duty games? Call of Duty is losing steam. It has nothing to do with system fragmentation..

The bottom line is it is difficult to compare game sales from past systems and years. You have to go off recent trends. Watch Dogs sold over 4 million games on its first week. Destiny preorders are higher, and continue to actually pull away. There is a massive drought of games from now until Destiny launches. (I don't think any of the big games you quoted come out before Destiny outside Madden..which will not hurt Destiny sales)

Last edited by foxdvd; 06-22-14 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-22-14, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A few more of the "Carnage Stats" from the Alpha...

•2,819,211 Orbs of Light Gathered
•6,850,773 Control Points Captured in the Crucible
•1,195 Deathless Medals awarded in the Crucible
•4,356 Splatters with the Sparrow
•667,966 Public Events Joined
•60,491,944 Fallen Dregs Dispatched with Extreme Prejudice
•Too many to count: Guardians served in Dance Parties

Also a nice "Thank You" letter from Bungie...

If you had a chance to play our First Look Alpha, thank you for paving the way for what we hope is so many more players. There are a lot of gamers who didn’t get the chance to fight in this round. That’s going to change very soon. If you did play, you’ve helped ensure that everyone who jumps into our Beta in July will have a better experience for it.

A lot of our friends asked us if this was a real Alpha. It was. We’ve gathered a mountain of data and feedback. We’re learning and reacting and Destiny is going to be better because of it. You’ll see the fruits of that labor as early as next month, assuming we’re lucky enough to have you in our Public Beta.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...ayed-and-more/
Old 06-22-14, 12:06 AM
gamer for life

ultimately there is no way to prove the point until 13 weeks is up. We will see as the weeks go by how Destiny is doing...

The week before it came out, Watch Dogs had right at 1 million preorders in America. No world wide numbers, but it really does seem to work out about half all sales are in America, so probably around 2 million preorders world wide. A well reviewed games usually doubles preorders after the first week numbers come out, which fits the 4 million week one sales of Watch Dogs.

To hit 8 million we will need to see 2 million preorders in America before the game comes out.
Old 06-22-14, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
[*]Madden 15, FIFA 15, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, NBA 2K15, NBA Live 15, Battlefield: Hardline, Evolve, Assassin's Creed: Unity, Grand Theft Auto V, and Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare are just some of the AAA multi-platform games that all come out within weeks prior or after Destiny's release. If anything, BF:H, Evolve, and COD: AW are its strongest competition as they're all appealing to the same demographic. Most consumers don't have a disposable income to be throwing out cash on a weekly basis during the months of September, October, and November (that's why you pay for your games upfront now with pre-orders, but that's for another thread). [/LIST]
NHL15 = Destiny dagger

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.