DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Bungie - Destiny (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/608770-bungie-destiny.html)

Music 06-22-14 07:14 AM

Re: Bungie - Destiny

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 12146126)
There's no way a new IP is going to sell 8 million in a week, especially now where there's a user base divided over four platforms.

Shut-up! -ptth-

cruzness 06-22-14 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 12146483)
When Halo 3 launched there were 8 million xbox 360 users in America..(not sure world wide, but prob less than 15 million)

Not fair to compare sales on 15 million units with one with sales on over 100 million units...

Halo Reach was not part of the main series, and followed lowered sales of Halo ODST. AND it was on one system.

You are comparing Ghost sales to past Call of Duty games? :lol: Call of Duty is losing steam. It has nothing to do with system fragmentation..

The bottom line is it is difficult to compare game sales from past systems and years. You have to go off recent trends. Watch Dogs sold over 4 million games on its first week. Destiny preorders are higher, and continue to actually pull away. There is a massive drought of games from now until Destiny launches. (I don't think any of the big games you quoted come out before Destiny outside Madden..which will not hurt Destiny sales)

This could be a big reason why it could do massive sales. Madden drops in 3rd week of August and NHL 15 comes out in the same day(9/9). All those other games don't come out until late October to mid November. So Destiny has a big window to itself and lots of time to build its hype train right when new seasons of tv shows hit and football starts.

mattysemo247 06-22-14 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 12146409)
Sure but wouldn't it make sense to ease people into the transition? There's no reason to go digital when the disc copy comes with a day one deal and/or extras.

I don't think those are the people they are trying to target. People looking to buy digital on day one are doing it out of convenience (don't have to leave the house or swap discs), not by trying to save money (promos, a disc you can trade in at a latter time).

I do agree though, if they are trying to get more people to go digital, they should make it more enticing.

chess 06-22-14 09:59 AM

Eh...it'll sell 2-3 shit tons, and rightly so.

Here's a pretty slick video that's worth a look.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/s...lay-experience

Get hyped, bitches!

Superman07 06-22-14 10:17 AM

None of my friends have played this, but we were wondering, are you limited to groups of 3?

Chess - that video wa great; thanks.

K&AJones 06-22-14 12:54 PM

In the "co-op" portion yes it's in groups of (3)...but you can actually have say two groups of (2) working in tandem if you coordinate it correctly. In other words you can be in the same area, just not in the same group. Does that answer your question.

Superman07 06-22-14 02:34 PM

Sort of. My 3 friends and I frequently play through co-OP games together. I'm still trying to figure out if this 3 party system will prevent that, or if it's just a technicality.

I suppose we could do 2 x 2 or all solo and do a party chat...?

Matthew Chmiel 06-22-14 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 12146483)
You are comparing Ghost sales to past Call of Duty games? :lol: Call of Duty is losing steam. It has nothing to do with system fragmentation..

That's why Call of Duty: Ghosts has moved nearly 25M copies and is still the most played game on Xbox Live? That's why it was the number one in the charts for four months straight?

Yeah, that's why I can't take you seriously.

K&AJones 06-22-14 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 12146771)
Sort of. My 3 friends and I frequently play through co-OP games together. I'm still trying to figure out if this 3 party system will prevent that, or if it's just a technicality.

I assume you all can do a group party chat and if more than three then arrange two groups and then coordinate destination and goals. There is nothing to prevent that or at lest I'm not aware of. There were plenty times we were in the same area as another group working side-by-side. The big question is will you be synchronized which I cannot say. Be a good question for Bungie though as the common 4plyr coop has been around forever and it'll be odd-man out.

On a side note Bungie has released a T-shirt that now has become their most sold and popular commemorating the Destiny Alpha. Profits sold from this will be donated to a Bungie Charity...

http://bungiestore.com/collections/a...-alpha-t-shirt

slop101 06-22-14 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 12146784)
That's why Call of Duty: Ghosts has moved nearly 25M copies and is still the most played game on Xbox Live? That's why it was the number one in the charts for four months straight?

I think his point wasn't that it's not successful anymore, just that it's sales are finally coming down.

They peaked with MW3, and ever since, each CoD has had slightly lower sales #s.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psc8ad9166.png

http://g.foolcdn.com/editorial/image...ales_large.png

chess 06-22-14 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 12146796)
On a side note Bungie has released a T-shirt that now has become their most sold and popular commemorating the Destiny Alpha. Profits sold from this will be donated to a Bungie Charity...

http://bungiestore.com/collections/a...-alpha-t-shirt

Fucking awesome.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/041...g?v=1403287708

It was so bad, it became a meme on NeoGAF, and they're owning it. Well played Bungie, well played.

chess 06-22-14 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 12146771)

It would work in free-roam. The trick would be getting the two fire-teams hooked up in the same instance of the "world". I assume you could set up a fire-team of 3, and one could leave the team and then be joined by the fourth. Party chat would take care of everything else.

Strikes (boss raids basically) are limited to the one three-man fire team.

foxdvd 06-22-14 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 12146784)

Makes me feel a lot better that someone on the internet does not take my amazing breakdown of how I think Destiny is going to do seriously. Let my go one step further for you.... If ANYONE takes what I said seriously they need help. I am a 40 year old game nerd who has no background in game theory. Why you feel the need to jump up on my original post about what I think this game is going to do with a sarcastic laughing face is beyond me. I honestly feel this game is going to set records. Even Bungie/Activision are saying they have no doubt the game will be the biggest new ip launch in history (topping Watch Dogs) I think there is a perfect storm coming for this game, and even if I am wrong it is still going to do probably 6 million the first week.

I played all of the Call of Duty games, and the hype going into Ghost was not NEAR the level felt among players as the last few call of duty games. In fact, there has been a bit of FPS fatigue on all games for a while now, and the timing of new systems was needed badly.

Ultimately all the games you had in bold mean nothing since those games were either established ip's or released at a different time in gaming. The ONLY game we can compare for this generation is Watch Dogs. It is the only serious gross generation new ip released, and it set the record. I guess I am bat shit crazy for thinking Destiny is going to do even better.

But at least I can go to bed tonight and tell each of my children that THE Matthew Chmiel ..the most respected and quoted man in dvdtalk history does not take me seriously. I can scratch that off my bucket list.

and just out of curiosity, what do you think this game will do the first week?

K&AJones 06-22-14 05:31 PM

Yea...i saw the shirt and almost certain Ill get it but that 12x18 lithograph signed and limited to "150 pcs"...almost to good to pass up.

Music 06-22-14 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 12146924)
But at least I can go to bed tonight and tell each of my children that THE Matthew Chmiel ..the most respected and quoted man in dvdtalk history does not take me seriously.

How long did it to take you to type that out while laughing hysterically?

fumanstan 06-22-14 09:07 PM

:lol:

Michael Corvin 06-22-14 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 12146589)
I don't think those are the people they are trying to target. People looking to buy digital on day one are doing it out of convenience (don't have to leave the house or swap discs), not by trying to save money (promos, a disc you can trade in at a latter time).

I do agree though, if they are trying to get more people to go digital, they should make it more enticing.

Depending on how you look at it, you're paying an extra $22 for 'convenience.' :lol: Guess I'm not their target demo.

I assumed they'd have to introduce download cards at some point to appease retailers once these consoles are all digital.

Rob V 06-23-14 05:31 AM

Does Destiny have an end game? In other words, it's not like World of Warcraft where you go out and spend 8 hours or 8 years just building up your character with no true ending, is it?

K&AJones 06-23-14 07:14 AM

I'm not certain Bungie can even answer that question or at least now. I believe it's been mentioned their long term vison of Destiny is around 10 years. Halo has stayed alive since 2001 and that's wih one main character and universe compared to what Destiny has in store far smaller.

chess 06-23-14 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 12146924)
But at least I can go to bed tonight and tell each of my children that THE Matthew Chmiel ..the most respected and quoted man in dvdtalk history does not take me seriously. I can scratch that off my bucket list.

:lol: Hope you slept OK!

I think Destiny hits a scary cross section of gamers. For starters, it's going to pull in anybody who liked Borderlands or Halo, and that's quite a few people. Add in anybody who likes loot games, sci-fi, MMOs and coop or competitive multiplayer FPS. Add in the timing of Destiny's release with a month to itself, tons of games getting pushed to 2015, and people hungry for content on their new consoles. Add in the masterful use of the Alpha (literally won E3) and probably the Beta for positive word of mouth. Add in the monstrous marketing push it will get between the Beta and launch.

Looks like a perfect storm to me.

chess 06-23-14 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 12147411)
Does Destiny have an end game? In other words, it's not like World of Warcraft where you go out and spend 8 hours or 8 years just building up your character with no true ending, is it?

They talk a bit about the story here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/s...lay-experience

Not sure how that translates to "end game" though.

Michael Corvin 06-23-14 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by chess (Post 12147558)
:lol: Hope you slept OK!

I think Destiny hits a scary cross section of gamers. For starters, it's going to pull in anybody who liked Borderlands or Halo, and that's quite a few people. Add in anybody who likes loot games, sci-fi, MMOs and coop or competitive multiplayer FPS. Add in the timing of Destiny's release with a month to itself, tons of games getting pushed to 2015, and people hungry for content on their new consoles. Add in the masterful use of the Alpha (literally won E3) and probably the Beta for positive word of mouth. Add in the monstrous marketing push it will get between the Beta and launch.

That's a good point about pulling in Borderlands players. Gearbox might have shot themselves in the foot sticking with last gen for the pre-sequel.

mattysemo247 06-23-14 07:29 PM

I find it very odd that they haven't announced a limited or collectors edition yet. It's Bungie and Activision, I can't see how this kind of game could be released without one.

mattysemo247 06-23-14 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by chess (Post 12147558)

I thought that's why the new Borderlands game is taking place on the moon ;)

Michael Corvin 06-23-14 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 12148184)
I find it very odd that they haven't announced a limited or collectors edition yet. It's Bungie and Activision, I can't see how this kind of game could be released without one.

Free Guitar Hero guitar with any pre-order. I'm sure there's still a warehouse full of them somewhere.