Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PS4 Pre-Release Thread: No MP3 for You! (11/15/2013)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS4 Pre-Release Thread: No MP3 for You! (11/15/2013)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: PS4 to be announced February 20th?

Originally Posted by big e
Would anyone care to elaborate on what the problem is with the PlayStation controller? I've been using PlayStation controllers since the late '90s and I've never had a problem with them, but I always hear people bitching about the PS3 controller.
Some people think:

1. The controller is too small, in general.
2. The positions of the left analog stick and D-pad should be reversed.
3. The analog sticks should be concave, not convex.
4. The triggers should be concave, not convex.

There may be other issues, but I think those are the ones people mention the most. The only one I have a problem with is #4, and that can be fixed with trigger extensions.
Old 02-01-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
The only one I have a problem with is #4, and that can be fixed with trigger extensions.
Which I have on mine. I simply don't and never will understand the hate for the controller.
Old 02-01-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Only one I have an issue with is #3. That is actually the reason I switched to playing Fifa on the 360 instead of the PS3. Having to hold the stick in one direction for a long time, my thumb would gradually slide off the stick since they are convex.
Other than that I love the Dual Shock controller. So if they do redesign it, they better keep that perfect D-Pad.
Old 02-01-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

My issue with the controller is that the Xbox360 controller absolutely nailed the overall ergonomics, IMO. So to hold any other controller other than that just feels awkward. It's no coincidence that most new consoles or handhelds / PC controllers closely mimic the 360.
Old 02-01-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/
Old 02-01-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Forget that, I love the PS3 controller.
Old 02-01-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
The ergonomics of the controller have stayed the same for nearly 2 decades. It is simply not as comfortable as the xbox controller.
My hands say otherwise. The 360 controller is bulky and weighty in my opinion.
Old 02-01-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The ergonomics of the controller have stayed the same for nearly 2 decades. It is simply not as comfortable as the xbox controller.
Agreed.
Old 02-01-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Some people think:

1. The controller is too small, in general.
2. The positions of the left analog stick and D-pad should be reversed.
3. The analog sticks should be concave, not convex.
4. The triggers should be concave, not convex.

There may be other issues, but I think those are the ones people mention the most. The only one I have a problem with is #4, and that can be fixed with trigger extensions.
+1 on all of the above. Sure you can get triggers ($5+) and FPSFreak convex sticks ($15) but you shouldn't have to put together some frankenstein controller to make it usable. Since this generation effectively raised the cost of a controller by $20+ it's silly that a gamer should have to shell out nearly $20 more in attachments.

Amen to that. It wasn't a perfect design in 1998 so to still be using it [potentially] in 2018 is a joke.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
My hands say otherwise. The 360 controller is bulky and weighty in my opinion.
This is one of two negatives of the 360 design; the digital pad (which the transforming pad helped) and the weight. Unfortunately all that weight is from using AA batteries. Dragging out a cord to charge the DS, or even play is a PITA. The PS3 would have benefitted from a dock. Otherwise it's AA batteries, FTW.

Despite my preference for the 360 controller, I do prefer the weight of the DS or even the Sixaxis but batteries and trump weight for me every time.

If the NextBox could have the same layout but with the weight of the DS, it would be perfection.
Old 02-01-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Chalk me up to another that hates the PS3 controller. They are terrible. I won't buy the PS4, either. I made the mistake of buying the PS3. I've only played 5 games on it. 3 Uncharteds and 2 Infamous games. While I liked those games, there was nothing that I couldn't live without. The PS3 has been my defacto blu-ray player (like many others) and has had infinitely more use doing that than playing games. There has not been a game that I had to have to play, whereas the Xbox had numerous games that I had to play. Maybe if the PS4 is cheap and there is some killer game, I'll pick it up down the line. But right now, I don't ever foresee buying one.

Last edited by Deftones; 02-01-13 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

I can play with my Xbox controller all night. I can play with my PS controller for a couple of hours max before my hands start cramping. Fuck the PS controller. I despise the damn thing and it is one of the main reasons I only play first party games on the PS3. If it's a third party game, I will pay more for the game just to have it on the Xbox so I can enjoy playing the game.
Old 02-01-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

... sounds expensive and not what I was hoping for. It won't prevent me from buying a PS4 necessarily, but it doesn't help either.
Old 02-01-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

I've never had an issue with the DS but I can understand why fans of action/fps games would much prefer the xbox controller. I prefer the DS due to its weight and the fact that it has a rechargeable battery by default. The size of either controller is fine with me.
Old 02-01-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Automatically recording the last 15 minutes of gameplay is a pretty awesome new feature (if it truly doesn't hamper performance as they claim).
Old 02-01-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

A tiny touchscreen in the controller shouldn't raise the price that much
Old 02-01-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm another who prefers the design of the 360 controller. For my hands, it's the most comfortable controller I've played with. That said, I don't hate the feel of the Sony controller, but I do hate the performance. I have 2 DS3s and a 6-Axis and all three of them won't hold a charge for shit. I can have them showing fully charged and after an hour or less, I have to either stop playing or run a 12 ft USB cable to the console.
Old 02-01-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
A tiny touchscreen in the controller shouldn't raise the price that much
Not even touchscreen; touchpad, like on the back of the Vita.
Old 02-01-13, 12:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh so not a big deal at all
Old 02-01-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I don't like the PS3 controller either, but my father-in-law says it's the best and the Xbox controller is the one that needs to go.

Of course he's a Sony fanboy.
Old 02-01-13, 12:44 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I played thousands of hours with my ps2...and hundreds with my ps3...I never hated the controller, but the first time I held the 360 it just felt right.....Now when a ps3 game comes out that I want to play it feels so awkward in my hand.
Old 02-01-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redrum
Oh so not a big deal at all
Capacitive touch would be incrementally more expensive than the carry-over style buttons they have now... but whatever. If they can use the Vita technology and save costs, that would be ideal.

Even though I couldn't give MS (and possibly Sony) my money fast enough to get the newest console, I can't help but think it's just not time yet. I love my Xbox and I really can't imagine the experience getting any better (aside from load times and some online lag issues). The problem isn't the console power, so I'm really interested to see what the PS4 offers in terms of content that isn't just "playing the newest games with 60fps, 3D, 7.1 sound". I just think a new wave of consoles is not necessary... yet.
Old 02-01-13, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I'm another who prefers the design of the 360 controller. For my hands, it's the most comfortable controller I've played with. That said, I don't hate the feel of the Sony controller, but I do hate the performance. I have 2 DS3s and a 6-Axis and all three of them won't hold a charge for shit. I can have them showing fully charged and after an hour or less, I have to either stop playing or run a 12 ft USB cable to the console.
Yeah, they need to quit using those damn battery packs built into the controller. I just want to be able to throw some batteries in my controller and be good to go.
Old 02-01-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

One thing I'm wonder about is now that bluetooth 4.0 is slowly becoming the new standard, will they still go that route with the controller? it's supposed to use a ton less power than previous bluetooth standards, which would likely help batteries last quite a bit longer.
Old 02-01-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Deftones
One thing I'm wonder about is now that bluetooth 4.0 is slowly becoming the new standard, will they still go that route with the controller? it's supposed to use a ton less power than previous bluetooth standards, which would likely help batteries last quite a bit longer.
That would be nice. I don't understand why people think a non-replaceable re-chargable battery is preferable to the battery packs. I keep a bunch of rechargable AA's around and I can easily replace the batteries in the xbox controler. Once your DS3's loose their ability to hold a charge, you either have to drop $50+ for a new controler or have a wired controller.
Old 02-01-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I'm buying a console, controller ergonomics is NOT a factor whatsoever. It is what it is. I started with an Intellivision so I've used a lot of different controllers in my lifetime... I've never once cared about how comfortable it was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.