Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PS4 Pre-Release Thread: No MP3 for You! (11/15/2013)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS4 Pre-Release Thread: No MP3 for You! (11/15/2013)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: PS4 to be announced February 20th?

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
And what happens when your console breaks? Will the game be tied to a specific console or user name? If it is the username then we will have to be logged in for verification and if it is the console then kiss your games goodbye once it breaks. How come PC game developers have never bitched and moaned about used games but these console game developers are turning into these whiny bags about it? Also, I would rather not need to have my daughter logged in to my account while playing one of our games on one system while I'm trying to game on another.
PC developers don't complain because they've already practically eliminated the used game market thanks to single use activation keys tied to account based systems. It's been working fine for years.
Old 02-11-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

On Hands Video and interview with the Valve's "Xi3 Piston"....

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/57175680" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

The specifications

Piston packs a lot of muscle in a tiny space. It fits in a box no larger than the size of your hand. The device uses the Advanced Micro Devices “Trinity” combo platform which combines a microprocessor and graphics functions in the same chip.

The machine has a 3.2-gigahertz quad-core microprocessor and 384 programmable graphics cores. It comes with 8 gigabytes of DDR main memory. It can support three monitors natively and two mini display ports. It has four USB 3.0 ports, four eSATA ports, and four USB 2.0 ports. And it has 64 gigabytes to 1 terabyte of storage, depending on price. It has three programmable audio ports. The storage can transfer data at a speed of 12 gigabits a second at the high end.

The device can run 4K resolution video and graphics. Piston consumes only 40 watts, compared to 1,000 watts for some of the high-end game PCs.

“You can use this for gaming,” Politis. “To fit it inside this form factor took a little bit of magic.” The device has 13 patents granted and the company has applied for 1,000 more.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/11/xi...EwOuW32ZW0P.99
Old 02-11-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
You know, it just occurred to me that we had at least one big name title block used sales this generation. DC Universe Online had a one-time activation code (along with a monthly subscription, initially). I bought it knowing about the monthly subscription, thinking I'd give the MMORPG thing a whirl and sell it if it wasn't worth paying a monthly fee. I was pretty pissed when I opened it and found the game was pretty much useless once played. For some reason, maybe due to backlash, Best Buy actually took it as a trade-in for $30 or so and I took advantage of that soon after buying it.

Anyway, not sure how reliable VGChartz is, but they show DCU sold 320K units in the US. For comparison, Catherine sold 360k units in the US combined for 360 and PS3. Granted, there were multiple other non-consolish things going on with DCU and it did go free-to-play eventually, but it's one big AAA title that went anti-used and didn't do too well. Any other big games from this gen that went fully anti-used?
Yeah, i think the failure of that game was other factors instead of the activation code thing... I mean I've never played the game, but even at the current price of free how many people are playing? Plus that at least had a precedent... wasn't PSO for the Dreamcast the same way?

Also, is the game completely useless used, or like most of these online passes is there a way to buy a pass separately?
Old 02-11-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, i think the failure of that game was other factors instead of the activation code thing... I mean I've never played the game, but even at the current price of free how many people are playing? Plus that at least had a precedent... wasn't PSO for the Dreamcast the same way?

Also, is the game completely useless used, or like most of these online passes is there a way to buy a pass separately?
Oh, I've no doubt there were a variety of contributing factors. I just happened to recall how pissed off I was after figuring out the $60 disc I'd just bought was worthless. And no, there was no way to buy a pass to use with a used disc. Also, it looks like over a million people downloaded and started playing when it went free to play. Anyway, it's not completely analogous to what's being rumored for the next gen, but it's probably the closest from the current gen.
Old 02-11-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Correct. Steam selling Borderlands or CoD is in direct competition with 360 & PS3.
Uh, no. To use recent sales figures as an example:

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
360: 11.4M+ units sold. (60%)
PS3: 9.4M+ units sold. (36%)
PC: 850K+ units sold. (4%)

Borderlands 2
360: 2.2M+ units sold. (55%)
PS3: 1.3M+ units sold. (32%)
PC: 500K+ units sold. (13%)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
360: 14.8M+ units sold. (51%)
PS3: 12.6M+ units sold. (43%)
PC: 1.6M+ units sold. (6%)

Borderlands
360: 3.1M+ units sold. (62%)
PS3: 1.8M+ units sold. (37%)
PC: 100K+ units sold. (1%)

Competing? How are they competing with the 360 and PS3 when the PC equivalents don't even come close in units and sales numbers?

I'd argue PC gaming has more of a niche audience than anything else. A majority of people don't purchase a computer for gaming, therefore they have hardware that is simply inadequate for gaming. This is why Valve have been pushing for "hardware standards" as they've started making movement in the hardware sector.

To note, most of the best selling PC games:
  • Never saw a release on the console.
  • If they did see a release on a console, it would always be a port released at a later date and time.
Also to note, I love how those sales figures show that theory that people who bought used copies of Borderlands purchased Borderlands 2 is bullshit.

I purchased Borderlands on Steam during a summer sale and it was fucking terrible compared to when I played it on my friend's PS3. Even Gearbox admitted their PC port was garbage. I ended up purchasing Borderlands 2 for the 360 a few weeks after it's release for $34.99 new.
Old 02-11-13, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Isn't that the point? Since most games are on all three platforms, the consoles are PC's main competitor and cannibalize PC sales.
Old 02-12-13, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Isn't that the point? Since most games are on all three platforms, the consoles are PC's main competitor and cannibalize PC sales.
No, because the console audience is an entirely different animal than the PC audience. That's why I think it's more of a niche audience than anything else and developers continue to make PC ports to get those dollars.

There are gamers that will only play PC games. I have quite a few friends that don't own a console, but play the ever loving shit out of MMOs and PC exclusive titles (i.e. Diablo III, Dota 2, StarCraft II, World of Warcraft, etc). There's also a few games, while being on all platforms, that have significantly larger communities on PC (i.e. Valve's Counter-strike and Team Fortress 2).

Games that are created for the PC first are usually superior to the console made port (any Valve game comes to mind). On the flip side, games that are created for the consoles first are always superior to the PC made port. For example, the last few Call of Duty games have always been made with the 360 in mind first. I actually bought both Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops on the 360 and PC as I had friends playing it on both platforms. While Steam had a better community, the actual game play itself was far inferior. Black Ops was a disaster as the game was broken right on release date. It also doesn't help that as these games are made for consoles in mind, developers tend to forget the PC can output graphics at a significantly better rate. Because of this, PC games like the CoD franchise don't look as awesome as they should. There's no fan base that's going to create a mod to make a CoD game look amazing on a PC like they did for GTA IV and Skyrim.

The PC gamer, as it stands now, is a dying breed. It's no wonder Rockstar said no to doing a PC port for GTA V. Valve's Steam Box might be the PC gamer's last hope.
Old 02-12-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I look a the "used games block" as being important, there is another one where the PC has the advantage....upgradable. One reason where the Valve's "Piston" has caught my eye. It's a shame that both technical powerhouses, Sony & MS cannot figure how to do something with the Nex Gen consoles in some such way. Especially where the GPU and VRAM will be important.

If Valve can design and make a cube that small, with that much power, that many inputs/outputs and have it where all one has to do to upgrade is pop out the card and pop in a new one why not Sony and MS? The "Piston" will be able to keep up with changes and upgrades...like the Unreal, Dice and Crysis engines which are straining the PS3 and 360 now. Which makes you wonder what's ahead 3, 5 or 7 years from.
Old 02-12-13, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The PC gamer, as it stands now, is a dying breed. It's no wonder Rockstar said no to doing a PC port for GTA V. Valve's Steam Box might be the PC gamer's last hope.
PC Gaming is actually resurging now after years of being on its death bed (saved by Steam). For a long time it was World of Warcraft and that was basically it.

I picked up Borderlands (PC) a while after its initial release and it was fine compared to the 360/PS3 versions, must have patched it up (played it with a 360 controller via wireless hdmi to the projector, that setup works well.)

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
360: 11.4M+ units sold. (60%)
PS3: 9.4M+ units sold. (36%)
PC: 850K+ units sold. (4%)

Borderlands 2
360: 2.2M+ units sold. (55%)
PS3: 1.3M+ units sold. (32%)
PC: 500K+ units sold. (13%)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
360: 14.8M+ units sold. (51%)
PS3: 12.6M+ units sold. (43%)
PC: 1.6M+ units sold. (6%)

Borderlands
360: 3.1M+ units sold. (62%)
PS3: 1.8M+ units sold. (37%)
PC: 100K+ units sold. (1%)
Not sure what you're getting at, those are Retail sales, no online distribution (Origin, Steam) stats are included and most would agree PC gaming has largely moved on to digital distribution. Honestly I'm always surprised when I see PC software in the store these days.

Diablo 3, for instance, reportedly sold 3 million copies at retail and 7 million through digital distribution for a total in excess of 10 million through November of last year. (Blizzard isn't privately held anymore so they report these things, Valve is still privately held and does not release sales stats.)

Unfortunately until Digital Distributors start releasing NPD-style sales stats, we really have no clue how well PC gaming is doing. Steam, GOG, Direct2Drive, Impulse, Greenmangaming, GamersGate, etc; should band together and contribute sales numbers but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

To note, Black Ops 2 did bomb on PC when compared to its console counterparts, no real way around that.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-12-13 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-12-13, 09:18 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

IIRC, The GameCube version had a one-time key for online play. Of course, very few people owned a GameCube, the game AND the Broadband adapter...
Old 02-12-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Wait, what? Where did you read this? They haven't announced one way or the other whether it will be ported. I expect it will be, albeit I'm not expecting too much. GTA IV's port wasn't great.

I don't think PC Gamers are a dying breed, the platform is on the upswing from the mid 2000s. Certainly not as big as consoles, but since this console cycle has gone on so long, most PCs or Macs purchased in the last few years are perfectly capable of playing most games, if not on highest settings. And the tech has gotten really good, I'm impressed how good some games look on low settings.

I doubt PCs will ever be as big as consoles in the future, and more likely the two will merge at some point as consoles become more like PCs and visa versa.
Old 02-12-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
While I look a the "used games block" as being important, there is another one where the PC has the advantage....upgradable. One reason where the Valve's "Piston" has caught my eye. It's a shame that both technical powerhouses, Sony & MS cannot figure how to do something with the Nex Gen consoles in some such way. Especially where the GPU and VRAM will be important.

If Valve can design and make a cube that small, with that much power, that many inputs/outputs and have it where all one has to do to upgrade is pop out the card and pop in a new one why not Sony and MS? The "Piston" will be able to keep up with changes and upgrades...like the Unreal, Dice and Crysis engines which are straining the PS3 and 360 now. Which makes you wonder what's ahead 3, 5 or 7 years from.
Whereas that would be nice, there is no way that this happens. Unless we end up with graphic tweaks menus and the like it would be tough for the developers. Then you end up with a situation where you can't play game X unless you upgrade or you have to know to change sliders X Y Z and the stupid gaming public won't be able to figure it out.
Old 02-12-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Wait, what? Where did you read this? They haven't announced one way or the other whether it will be ported. I expect it will be, albeit I'm not expecting too much. GTA IV's port wasn't great.

I don't think PC Gamers are a dying breed, the platform is on the upswing from the mid 2000s. Certainly not as big as consoles, but since this console cycle has gone on so long, most PCs or Macs purchased in the last few years are perfectly capable of playing most games, if not on highest settings. And the tech has gotten really good, I'm impressed how good some games look on low settings.

I doubt PCs will ever be as big as consoles in the future, and more likely the two will merge at some point as consoles become more like PCs and visa versa.
There were rumors circulating that the PC Version of GTA V would come along and would not be a "port" in the traditional sense (ground up new engine). I don't buy it, while PC gaming is on the upswing, you can't release a huge game for consoles and then on PC many months later and expect it to do well. It's the same logic that delayed Rayman Legends (who wants to pay full retail for whats now considered an old game?).
Old 02-12-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
There's a very simple reason, develop to one hardware specification. If there are too many variations on the hardware, it makes it difficult to properly test the software. That's why PCs end up having all these driver updates and patches in order to get a game working properly.
Old 02-12-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's also the issue of letting people open up the hardware to replace something like that. Warranties are voided on them if it has been opened.
Old 02-12-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Fandango
There's also the issue of letting people open up the hardware to replace something like that. Warranties are voided on them if it has been opened.
If there are removable components I could see them doing it, similar to how the PS3 allows you to swap out hard drives. But like others have said, you fragment the market, and it'll just be like the fifty other different add ons that failed to gain traction because the user base just isn't there. It's not like the Genesis, the N64, and others didn't try in some form or another. To me, the appeal of the console is that you don't have to worry about upgrades and whether the software will run on your one year old machine.
Old 02-12-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I sort of knew it was a long shot on "upgradable" consoles. It just seems that the software side especially the design engines seem to advance faster than the hardware. But if we can get 5+ years out of a console with the advancement of software then that's fine. I do think both the PS3 and 360 might have over-streached their use by one or two years. Or at least based on what I've read from Unreal, Crytek and Dice where they had to hold back on some the latest games compared to the pc versions.

So once again we can go back and focus on backward compatibility, used games, storage solutions and hardware. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-12-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 02-12-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's freakn' awesome.....Love the "360...Kinect Rockets"...I stand corrected

Last edited by K&AJones; 02-12-13 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

360 Rockets or Kinects?
Old 02-12-13, 05:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They are Kinects.
Old 02-12-13, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought it was a little odd that they were announcing this 3 days before Sony had their conference. It would be a sweet launch title.

Bungie's Destiny confirmed, will be unveiled February 17

http://www.gamespot.com/news/bungies...ary-17-6403773
Old 02-12-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I thought it was a little odd that they were announcing this 3 days before Sony had their conference. It would be a sweet launch title.

Bungie's Destiny confirmed, will be unveiled February 17

http://www.gamespot.com/news/bungies...ary-17-6403773
A 2014 release for the PS3 is odd in light of the PS4 announcement... Unless they're just playing it off.
Old 02-12-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GTA...red-49483.html

Based upon his efforts with GTA 4, Rockstar needs to hire Ice Laglace for the V port. Rockstar's GTA IV port sucks, but the iCEnhancer blows the console versions right out of the water.
Old 02-13-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Next gens not backward compatible? EA seems to think so: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/...rds-compatible

he next generation of consoles are unlikely to support backwards compatibility, according to EA's chief financial officer.

Speaking at a Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference Q&A session (via Gamasutra), Blake Jorgensen explained that the current generation of consoles still had some mileage left in them as a result.

An important thing to remember is that next-gen consoles will most likely not be backwards compatible.

"An important thing to remember is that next-gen consoles will most likely not be backwards compatible," he stated. "If you [play] multiplayer on a game, you'll most likely not be able to play with someone on a different generation."

Jorgensen went on to explain that sports games would play a large role in keeping current gen consoles relevant, as if the new boxes don't launch until December, that'll be midway through the season so you're likely to keep playing on your PS3 or Xbox 360 until next year.

"Fiscal year 2014 will still be a fairly large gen-three if there's a console business that comes in at the tail end of the year, mainly because a lot of our titles are built around sports calendars... And if a next-gen console doesn't come out until next Christmas, most people won't wait. They'll want to be involved in getting those titles early, because their friends are all playing those titles," he posited. "If they all hold on and continue to play on third-generation, you'll probably not see that box purchase until after the soccer season's over."

Sony and Microsoft still haven't confirmed anything about the next-generation of consoles, but thankfully it looks like we won't have to wait much longer. It's looking likely that the next PlayStation will be revealed a week today while Microsoft will surely spill the beans shortly after, probably around E3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.