Reload this Page >

Xbox 360 on the fritz?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox 360 on the fritz?

Old 01-06-13, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox 360 on the fritz?

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a brand new Xbox 360 slim (250 GB) for the first time in September 2012. I finally caved because it seemed like there were so many exclusives that I wanted to play. (Alan Wake, Shadow Complex, Trials HD, Fez, etc.) I've already owned a PS3 and a Wii and have for several years now with little to no issues. I know that the 360's are notorious for having all sorts of issues with the RROD and everything, but I'm having a problem of a different sort. I've posted a screen shot below that I found online which looks similar to my experience. I tried to upload pictures that I took myself, but I can't figure it out.

I've tried googling the specific problem, but figured that I would ask for advice here as well. I read that clearing out the cache can sometimes resolve performance issues, but that doesn't appear to affect this particular problem.

The odd thing is that some days it will work fine for several hours (I played Alan Wake last weekend for at least three or four hours with no issues whatsoever) and other times the system "freezes up" within a couple of minutes after booting up. Then I have to reset it and start again.

I guess my questions are:

1) Should I just bite the bullet and send it in to Microsoft to be "fixed" under the warranty and hope that solves the problem?

2) Should I wait until it completely craps out and won't even turn on and I get the RROD? My concern is that if Micorsoft can't reproduce my particular issue, they'll just send it back to me without even opening it up and I'll be back at square one.

3) For those that have sent their 360's in to get fixed - Do they send you back the same specific console with your hard drive? At this point, I have several things that I've downloaded and paid for and I'd rather not have to redownload everything onto a new machine.

Thanks for the advice and I must say that I am disappointed that a console that has been on the market for more than SEVEN years would still suffer from these kind of problems within a couple of months of average use! (maybe 5-10 hours per week) The RROD problem was one of the main factors that I had held off buying one for as long as I did.

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2480...ambled-screen/
Old 01-06-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Re: Xbox 360 on the fritz?

Send it in to be fix. The thing may never RROD within the warranty period, so then you'll be screwed. So the entire machine locks up? As in you can't input anything from the controller?

I'd first try switching cables. That could be a culprit. If that doesn't change anything, make sure the system is in a well ventilated area and the vents aren't covered with anything. I once had mine overhead because I had a netflix sleeve fall on top where the vent is and the system couldn't breathe.

If that doesn't fix it, send it back and get another. Not sure how they are doing the returns now, but I assume you get a different system and won't get your original one back. I think you keep your hard drive, IIRC, but they have a website to address those concerns. I suggest you go to their support site to get all the details.
Old 01-06-13, 02:11 PM

Thanks Deftones. Yes, the entire machine locks up when this happens. The screen gets all "scrambled" and I have to reset the Xbox in order for it to reboot. The controller won't repond either.

It's weird because sometimes it will happen when I'm just browsing through the menus or whatever. I might not even be playing a game. It happened last night when I was using HBO Go (another reason that I finally shelled out for one) and that is what prompted me to post today. I will try a different HDMI cable and see if that makes a difference (although I don't think that's it.)

I would honestly estimate that I got less than 50 hours of use out of it before this thing started happening. I suppose I'm fortunate that this is not my only video game system and I can live without it for a few weeks. I can picture some sad children and irate parents that purchased one for the holidays this year running into similar problems.

I have been a gamer since the Atari 2600/NES days and have owned pretty much every home console at one time or another. I always take care of my stuff and am actually a little OCD about it. I have never had a system crap out on me like this. Just glad that Microsoft has their warranty program in place!
Old 01-06-13, 03:22 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

record what it does and send it in....if they act like nothing is wrong send them video...

also, does the new xbox's even have rrod? I have had one of the new slims break on me 2 weeks after the warranty was up...so send it in now..
Old 01-06-13, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Yeah, IIRC, they took the red light out completely making it impossible for the slim to get the RROD.
Old 01-06-13, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, send it back.

Is your Xbox in an open space?
Old 01-06-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Send it back. You can call them at (800) 4MY-XBOX and they'll start the process for you. They usually send you back the same console the first time, but for me they sent me a different unit the second time I sent it in with the same problem (without informing me of the switch, I might add). No need to worry about the content of your HDD, as you're supposed to remove it prior to shipping it anyway.
Old 01-06-13, 09:21 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree that you should send it in. Take photos/videos of the behavior if you're worried about reproducibility.

Also, I haven't heard the term "on the fritz" in ages, so for using that!
Old 01-06-13, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I will likely call them this week and begin the process. That's a good idea about recording a video of what it does. I can just do that on my phone to have as "proof."

Yes, it is in an open and ventilated space. I have it set up horizontally and the vents are exposed on the top of the console.

Good to know about taking out the hard drive first. That makes sense. I'll let you know how the exchange process goes.
Old 01-06-13, 10:29 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltrain
Thanks for the responses guys. I will likely call them this week and begin the process. That's a good idea about recording a video of what it does. I can just do that on my phone to have as "proof."

Yes, it is in an open and ventilated space. I have it set up horizontally and the vents are exposed on the top of the console.

Good to know about taking out the hard drive first. That makes sense. I'll let you know how the exchange process goes.
I hate to say it but I have had 7 xbox's sent back for repair...I have to give it to Microsoft though...the repair process is painless and quick..too bad they built such a piece of shit system (that otherwise is my favorite entertainment equipment in my home)