Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you want to see for Next-Gen Consoles?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What do you want to see for Next-Gen Consoles?

Old 12-04-12, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: What do you want to see for Next-Gen Consoles?

It must not require me to use my hands, otherwise, it is a baby's toy.
Old 12-04-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Now that the Wii U is here, i've been thinking of what Sony and Microsoft will do for their Next Generation of consoles.

1.Backwards Compatibility- I think Sony will not make PS4 BC as they have learned their lesson from ps3. Microsoft on the other hand i think will put BC in the 720.

2.Networked console- This is something similar to what the Wii U does but on a much larger scale and better use. Basically you would be able to have the 720 or ps3 hooked to one TV and have the ability to play your system on any other television in the house. It would most likely be a hardware accessory that plugs into your other Televisions and working off a Wi-Fi signal, stream your game to other TV's.

3.Release day full game downloads- Nintendo has it, and Sony has been doing it for some time now but surprisingly Microsoft has not done this yet.

4.Better pricing and sales. This is what's preventing me from buying full games on consoles v.s. pc. Steam sales blow the competition away.

5. Same controller- No issue with the Sony doing this and I hope Microsoft keeps the same controller. The 360 controller is perfect.
#2 is asking too much with current standards, maybe the next gen. Using a high frequency signal would work though and be very similar to Wireless HDMI. I don't see this being pushed as console makers want you purchasing multiple consoles for multiple bedrooms. I use my Xbox 360 on Wireless HDMI all the time.

#3 Microsoft has a stance against it, and while I like Digital Distribution for PCs I don't see myself ever purchasing a console game for $60 online.

#5 Yup, best game controller out there. Even with the wonky D-pad. Hate the PS3 pad.

1080p @ 60 fps with good draw distances is probably too much to ask, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some half-assed 4K support like 1080p on the current consoles (ie - upscale to 4096 × 2160), perhaps added later via firmware.

As much as I agree with no gimmicks, I'm loving the Wii U gamepad (Having a console drive a handheld with interchangeable display (TV/Gamepad) is pretty sweet) so if they can come up with something really cool, sure. I'm more keen on losing or completely refining motion controls.
Old 12-04-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

How can anyone call the 360 controller perfect with that D-pad? It is great aside from that, though. Say what you will about the PS3 controller but at least they got the D-pad right like the SNES did.
Old 12-04-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts

Networking - Better networking is a must. Whether a separate mini box or simply just being able to link multiple consoles to see save files/gamertags or play XBLA titles across the network... something needs to improve.

Full Game Downloads - I want it for certain games that I KNOW I'll get my money's worth having it on the hard drive. I'd love to purchase a deluxe copy of a game that includes both a disc and code to download the game. I want games like Halo, Borderlands, and Rock Band at my fingertips. Which leads me to...

More robust OS - MS has pushed the 360 to the limit. It's often faster to go dig up a disc than wait for my game library to load. It's pathetic.

Controllers - this may sound silly but one thing I really dig about the Wii and now WiiU controllers is the speaker. It's a nice little touch and, IMO, adds more than some goofy rumble. 360 Pad is the gold standard. Just improve battery life and add a speaker. Sony needs to go back to the drawing board on the DS.

Backwards Compatibility - Great feature the first year or so, but I think both MS & Sony will stick to remakes & Collections from here on out. It's too easy to double dip and get people to rebuy the same shit just so it works on the new console. I think this feature will get lost next time out.
Old 12-04-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah I still say the PS3 controller is the best in this day and age. SNES had it perfect for 16-bit, then Sony started on the right track transitioning to 3-D with the Dualshock.
Old 12-04-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually want the next XBOX to be very similar to the current one but with the obvious graphic improvements. I too enjoy the controller very much and dread any changes to the next version.

I want Kinect to be something I use more than just when running NetFlix. I got my son the Sesame Street game for Christmas and while it seems very basic and enjoyable I really would like more in depth games to take advantage of the system. As much as I wanted Star Wars Kinect I just got the impression the tech just wasn't up to making the game enjoyable.

I'd also like to see a new level of XBOX Live subscription that includes unlimited access to a library of Arcade games. I'd also like that new tier to really eliminate ads, which I really don't bitch about, but as much as I love the service that certainly isn't a deal breaker.

As lame as it sounds I just want a system that runs quietly. I swear every single time I got my 360 back from a RROD issue the damn thing got louder and louder. It still isn't as bad as my PS3 when I play a normal DVD in it. I had to move my PS3 to the next room and at times I consider doing it to my 360 as well.

With the RROD behind them and so many years too learn from their mistakes, and the things they did properly too, I hope MS can deliver system as enjoyable as the 360. Even with all its issues I still find it to be the best console experience I ever had by a looooooong shot. As far as Sony goes I could care less. I love their exclusive games but the system never really impressed me. I don't think I can be bothered to get a PS4 just for God Of War and Uncharted games.
Old 12-04-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

For the next Xbox I'd like:

Blu-ray support for larger game data. I understand people's point in downloads, but infrastructure isn't there nationwide for 10-20GB files. I'm sure they could at least offer it though.

Along with that, really looking forward to HD audio capabilities.

Better voice chat support. Hopefully with purchase of Skype MS can leverage call quality.
Old 12-04-12, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just don't want to have to buy 2 of each because they only last about 3 years before dying. And backwards compatibility would be nice as well.
Old 12-04-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Superman07
Blu-ray support for larger game data. I understand people's point in downloads, but infrastructure isn't there nationwide for 10-20GB files. I'm sure they could at least offer it though.
They offer them now, just 6 months late and at full $60 price when retail price has long since dropped to less than half.
Old 12-04-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

I would like the PS4 to go the route of the Wii U and have the Vita be a usable controller/screen for games. I recently sold off my Vita but I would probably pick one back up if I could use it like the Gamepad.
Old 12-04-12, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
It must not require me to use my hands, otherwise, it is a baby's toy.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KMy1zO8m8sM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-04-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

^ I thought of hat exact scene when I read the statement.
Old 12-04-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not insisting on backwards compatibility, but if it is there, I hope they are committed to keeping it there for a long time instead of pulling it after a year or so like Sony did with the PS3. I suppose 5 years like Nintendo did with the Wii's Gamecube support would be good enough.
Old 12-04-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah I still say the PS3 controller is the best in this day and age. SNES had it perfect for 16-bit, then Sony started on the right track transitioning to 3-D with the Dualshock.
While I agree the PS3 controller has a better D-pad, the number of games that rely on analog sticks outnumber D-pad games these days, and the PS3 controllers are terrible in that regard.
Old 12-04-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I care about for Next-Gen is Backwards compatibility, meaning in my case, all 360 games (or at least 90%), XBLA content and DLC/Add-On Content. Or else the system is dead to me, and I will continue to play Xbox 360/Live until the lights go out (or my lights go out). Oh, I also like the comment from Matthew to take motion gaming and shove it up their ass. With that, I whole-heartedly agree.
Old 12-04-12, 01:32 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1: Overpriced accessories. Put only a small amount of storage in it, and then charge about 3 times as much for a hard drive...or maybe not include wifi and charge 79 bucks for dongle...

2: Online game codes. Lets act like the problems facing game developers is not that they keep trying to keep up with games like call of duty...that they spend 30 million on a game, and when it "only" moves 2 million copies they don't make money...lets blame the used game market..

3: Charge for online play, and then put advertising on your system left and right...

4: Build them with the lowest quality parts possible so they break down after about a year...

5: put so many extra things on the system that has nothing to do with games, that the new systems take up to 30 seconds before they even boot up and are ready to go. Lets see if we can get that up to 1 minute. Also menus should be slow and sluggish.

6: Hide indie developed games, and push through overpriced arcade games that will end up being half the price on steam....

7: release a stupid hands free add on...then push kids games toward this device, even if the kids would rather play with a controller, or younger ones keep running around messing up the hands free device...

8: remove features that some enjoy like party movie watching for no reason, and then just say no one used it, even though thousands of people come out saying they did...

9: encourage all developers through the price you charge for releasing a game on your system to push out games at 60 bucks new, even if the game itself really only makes sense at say 19.99....and even though a few publishers may figure out that it is still worth paying the full 7 or 8 bucks when they charge the lower price, a majority will release their garbage at 59.99...

These are the things I want next gen...
Old 12-04-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Realistic looking hair.
Old 12-08-12, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More advertisements on the user interface! Nintendo really fucked that one up.
Old 12-08-12, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sam Jackson in every game.
Old 12-08-12, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full frontal nudity