Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Far Cry 3 (December 4)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Far Cry 3 (December 4)

Fucking alligator scared the shit out of me...

I'm pretty much terrified to ever swim in the ocean, scary ass sharks. I've yet to get attacked by one, but I've had several close calls.
Old 12-06-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Fucking alligator scared the shit out of me...

I'm pretty much terrified to ever swim in the ocean, scary ass sharks. I've yet to get attacked by one, but I've had several close calls.
The croc in the river almost got me too while harvesting. However, I slayed his ass and then swam to the bottom to skin his carcass. I'm still hesitant to get back in the water though.
Old 12-07-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't interested in this game, but I have read great reviews everywhere online. For some people is even a solid candidate for GOTY.

Thinking of playing the PC version... basically because I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade my videocard
Old 12-07-12, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really enjoying this one. Had quite a few cool moments so far. Ran over a shark with a jet ski
Old 12-08-12, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I saw a couple of bugs earlier. One was bad, one was funny.

First the funny one... I was playing Poker, and went to raise someone, and instead of taking chips from my pile, I took from the ones already in the pot and put them in my pile

The bad one was invisible enemies shooting me. It was me and three natives shooting one guy that was nowhere to be found but he ended up killing us all.

Lame.
Old 12-08-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I saw a couple of bugs earlier. One was bad, one was funny.

First the funny one... I was playing Poker, and went to raise someone, and instead of taking chips from my pile, I took from the ones already in the pot and put them in my pile

The bad one was invisible enemies shooting me. It was me and three natives shooting one guy that was nowhere to be found but he ended up killing us all.

Lame.
As long as that is not a perpetual bug and just a once in a blue moon event then I would just laugh it off. You might have had an encounter with that Predator Easter Egg.
Old 12-08-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The problem is I've seen it at least three times.
Old 12-08-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem is I've seen it at least three times.
Then Arnold really dropped the ball. Sorry to hear that you are having problems. What system are you playing on?
Old 12-08-12, 09:46 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you have not bought this yet, I say hold off until it drops in price. I am only 6 hours in, but it is just average at best. I am having fun, but it lacks a bit of polish you would expect.
Old 12-08-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Then Arnold really dropped the ball. Sorry to hear that you are having problems. What system are you playing on?
Xbox. It's not really that big a deal. The fun outweighs the bugs and there's just a few. Like another funny bug was some guy getting set on ablaze then dying in place while still flailing his arms as if he were still on fire

Originally Posted by foxdvd
if you have not bought this yet, I say hold off until it drops in price. I am only 6 hours in, but it is just average at best. I am having fun, but it lacks a bit of polish you would expect.
It's far from average. It's a great game and worthy of all the praise it's getting.
Old 12-09-12, 08:28 AM
gamer for life

It's far from average. It's a great game and worthy of all the praise it's getting.
it is just not doing it for me.

I am 10 hours in. It is hard for me to describe it, but combat does not feel tight. The frame rate never seems to even get to 30, and there is not a blur effect like in Crysis 2 to hide this. I am not even sure if it is getting to 25 fps. This gives me a bit of a headache while playing.

(I just looked at digital foundry and they confirmed what my eyes where telling me...much of the game is at 20 FPS and lower, but even when things are smooth with little going on it is around 25)

I love open world games, and that is why I am having fun, but 11 towers in and it really is getting repetitive. There is zero variety in taking over small pockets and finding radio towers. Also 3 of the main story missions have had me :minor spoiler:
Spoiler:
hallucinating...sort of cool the first time...yawn the next 2
and I have said it before, but I hate it when I have my control taken away from me during a game like this...
Spoiler:
hit in the head with a gun and tied up...wow I did not see that coming

The game is getting a lot of praise...and I am not hating it...so I will stick with it.
Old 12-09-12, 01:12 PM
gamer for life

make sure you grab the uplay bonus mission...it is not much of a mission, but it takes only 5 minutes to finish, and I got about 3000 bucks for finishing it..plus 2000 xp..
Old 12-09-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's the bonus mission?
Old 12-09-12, 03:55 PM
gamer for life

What's the bonus mission?
after you go into uplay and unlock it, it shows up on the FAR right of the map...it is a brown race wheel looking symbol...it is called "test unit"..it is just exploring an underground bunker with lots of loot and money...
Old 12-09-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pdk0-UNkL9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not bad. It had me laughing when I saw him throw C-4 and blew up a chicken.
Old 12-09-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I love open world games, and that is why I am having fun, but 11 towers in and it really is getting repetitive. There is zero variety in taking over small pockets and finding radio towers. Also 3 of the main story missions have had me :minor spoiler:
Spoiler:
hallucinating...sort of cool the first time...yawn the next 2
and I have said it before, but I hate it when I have my control taken away from me during a game like this...
Spoiler:
hit in the head with a gun and tied up...wow I did not see that coming

The game is getting a lot of praise...and I am not hating it...so I will stick with it.
I had no framerate issues. I was getting at least 60fps, but I'm playing on PC.

It was awesome the first couple of hours, but after that, not so much. And I only got 10 missions into the story before giving up. I try to avoid single player games that have that kind of play style. I love open world games, too bad the story line wasn't more open.
Old 12-09-12, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by K&AJones
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pdk0-UNkL9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not bad. It had me laughing when I saw him throw C-4 and blew up a chicken.
That made my brain hurt. It sounded like he was trying to impersonate Paul Rudd.
Old 12-09-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by covenant
I had no framerate issues. I was getting at least 60fps, but I'm playing on PC.

It was awesome the first couple of hours, but after that, not so much. And I only got 10 missions into the story before giving up. I try to avoid single player games that have that kind of play style. I love open world games, too bad the story line wasn't more open.
It's okay. We forgive you. Now go back to playing Halo 4.

Old 12-09-12, 08:49 PM
gamer for life

I owe this game an apology. I am loving it now. Once you unlock chain kills...and knife throws after take downs and grenade kicks...the game kicks it to another level. There is a mission that takes you way out in the water to a boat, and it was during this mission I felt that pull all great games have.
Old 12-09-12, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It's okay. We forgive you. Now go back to playing Planetside 2.

fixed
Old 12-10-12, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owe this game an apology. I am loving it now. Once you unlock chain kills...and knife throws after take downs and grenade kicks...the game kicks it to another level. There is a mission that takes you way out in the water to a boat, and it was during this mission I felt that pull all great games have.
Glad I read everything before commenting.

Glad to hear it turned around for you. I've been having a blast with it. It really does give you some crazy ass moments of fun. Story gets a little ridiculous....but no big deal. The islands are amazing looking and I can't believe how dense it is with they way they pack in ruins and caves and so forth. Exploration has been a blast for me. I'm also glad they give you the option to populate the maps with all of the various collectibles in the game. There's a ton, and it can be fun tracking them down, but the way this locale is setup I think it'd be near impossible to do on one's own.
Old 12-10-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked this up finally as well. Only got to play for 5 - 7 hours over the weekend, but I think it is pretty good so far. It seems to have corrected a lot of the issues I had with Far Cry 2, and seems a lot more streamlined gameplay wise while also offering the player more things to do. The crafting for instance, is totally arbitrary (a bigger wallet, really?), but oddly works brilliantly as a game mechanic. Normally something like that would take me out of the game, but I really enjoy hunting and finding plants to make it to that next level.

The graphics are sick. I'm playing on PC, and the Ultra settings are a little too intense for even my machine, but with everything on very high or high, and 2x MSAA, I'm getting a solid 45-60 FPS. It could be a little better, but I imagine new Nvidia drivers will fix this quick. But damn, the lighting in this game is stunning. The first sunset I saw was jaw dropping. And the plant and animal density is equally impressive.

Combat is pretty good, a bit arcadey, but I expected that. Sounds like it will only get better as I unlock more skills and weapons.

Overall this seems like a pretty fun game. Haven't jumped into the story much, but just going around killing folks has been engaging.
Old 12-10-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
just going around killing folks has been engaging.
Remind me to never piss you off.
Old 12-10-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is pretty much my experience in the game thus far:

Old 12-10-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.