Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sony and Microsoft Both Passed on the Wii Remote Tech

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sony and Microsoft Both Passed on the Wii Remote Tech

Last edited by LosingMyMind; 03-22-14 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Sony and Microsoft Both Passed on the Wii Remote Tech

Smart. I wish they would have passed on the Kinect "technology" too.
Old 11-15-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Smart. I wish they would have passed on the Kinect "technology" too.
Old 11-15-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Not sure why they would pass on the Kinect, it's pretty cool tech. Is it a waste? Sure, outside of Dance Central there's very little use for the device, but it isn't the Wii and you aren't required to use it.

But yeah, the Wii will be remembered for Tennis and Bowling and little else. It was a power pad in controller form.
Old 11-15-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Kinect Adventures is the Best Selling 360 game of all time.
Yeah, because it comes attached with the Kinect.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/xbox-3...es-statistics/

There's only one other Kinect specific title in that list: Kinect Sports. As a Kinect launch title, I'm assuming it sold all 4M units right when people purchased their Kinects.

Either way, if you purchased a Kinect or a Move, please kindly go fuck yourself as allowing Microsoft and Sony to believe people want motion controls for their consoles.
Old 11-15-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't wait to get home and play some Wreckateer tonight!
Old 11-15-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

There's only one other Kinect specific title in that list: Kinect Sports. As a Kinect launch title, I'm assuming it sold all 4M units right when people purchased their Kinects.

Either way, if you purchased a Kinect or a Move, please kindly go fuck yourself as allowing Microsoft and Sony to believe people want motion controls for their consoles.
The Move is for good light gun games. Thank you very much.
Old 11-15-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 914 Likes on 674 Posts

I still bust out Move every so often for a game of frisbee golf or bocce.
Old 11-15-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Makes sense. The two big guns were sitting pretty and were resistant to change, thinking their way was best, and the one company that was on the decline was desperate enough to take the risk. This is similar to Nintendo passing up CD-Rom technology and a partnership with Sony while they were on top, and then the series of idiotic decisions that led to Sony losing ground to Microsoft in this past generation.

Maybe that's oversimplifying things a bit, and Nintendo has, to be fair, a track record of trying new things, to various levels of success: the N64 controller, the Gamecube controller, the Virtual Boy, the DS, the 3DS, etc. I still remember really doubting the usefulness of the Dual Screens.
Old 11-15-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Maybe that's oversimplifying things a bit, and Nintendo has, to be fair, a track record of trying new things, to various levels of success: the N64 controller, the Gamecube controller, the Virtual Boy, the DS, the 3DS, etc. I still remember really doubting the usefulness of the Dual Screens.
I always thought Nintendo would always have the portable market on lockdown as they're the only console manufacturer that gets it, but they're facing a lot of competition now from smartphones and tablets.

However, the Nintendo 64, Gamecube and Virtual Boy all have their various stages of failure. The Nintendo 64 controller might've set the stage for Microsoft and their Xbox controller, but the Gamecube controller flat out sucked (amongst other reasons why that console flopped) and the Virtual Boy was a piece of shit. The Wii succeeded due to two big factors:
  1. It was priced at $249. The competition, at that time, was significantly higher.
  2. It was advertised and geared to the every day consumer, not at gamers.
Yes, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, and Wii Sports Resort are some of the best selling games of all time... but they all came with either the console or accessories to help with the console (like an extra Wiimote, a balance board and a steering wheel). Look at other Wii releases and they didn't move as many units as their competition did. The Microsoft community is more willing to spend money than Nintendo or Sony's.

If it wasn't for my wife brining a Wii into the house, I wouldn't have a Wii still. I sold my Wii as I never used it as the catalog, other than first parties titles, flat out sucked. I ended up using the money I sold my Wii for and purchased a PS3 instead.
Old 11-15-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

I'll take no offense because I bought both. I already fucked myself out of $200 or so and won't do it again. I'm done with games that require moving shit other than my fingers.
Old 11-15-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is just a seething hatred for motion control. I don't think it replaces more traditional experiences and I don't think the development has reached the same level of refinement and quality games that we have seen on the more traditional consoles and controls, but I think it would be a mistake to completely dismiss it. I think there is plenty of room for both, and I've certainly had some enjoyable experiences with motion control over this generation. I think with further refinement we could see more interesting experiences in the future. I would hate to see the standard controller become an unevolving and stagnant standard, it would certainly limit the range and scope of our experiences going forward.
Old 11-15-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 914 Likes on 674 Posts

I agree. Seeing pics of new controllers was one of the best things about new console releases. Remember the original boomerang controller for the PS3? I hope they don't become static.

I think there is plenty of room for motion controls but i also feel that Nintendo hurt the movement by forcing it into games which didn't need it. People got sick of it quickly.
Old 11-15-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Look at the Vita: for every game that kinda gets it right (Gravity Rush) you have games that have to shoe horn the new control systems in (like Uncharted, which you think they would have learned after they shoehorned SixAxis into the original console versions). And then, as someone brought up before, you have something like that steaming pile of you-know-what called Steel Batallion for the Kinect. Honestly, the technology just isn't there... when it gets there, if it gets there, it'll be a sight to see, though.

Some of my favorite Wii games use the Classic Controller, and some of my favorite DS games basically use the second screen as a map or as inventory. In fact, I hate games that make you switch between using a stylus and using the controls.