The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Old 02-12-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I had the connection for the island and loved it, although the load times were horrendous. And I believe the other item, which I also owned, was the E-reader. Let's also not forget that the first Animal Crossing, if you bought it new, would let you unlock playable NES games you could keep in your house. That's right, those games they charge money for now were a free part of the original game.
? If you didn't buy it new, how would they know? I don't remember that game being tied to the console.

But yeah, those NES games were a great addition.

The other fond memory I have of the GBA connector was that Pacman game. Other than that, I don't remember using it much.
Old 02-12-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

The original Animal Crossing came with its own memory card. I think it was a gift given to your first character, and the information was on the memory card.

I just read the Wiki. "North American releases are packaged with a memory card that automatically gives the player two games upon creating a game file. Others are acquired in various ways."
Old 02-13-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, ok. But i think you could get all the games eventually without that.
Old 02-13-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm having trouble with my usb hard drive. Do I need to plug it in now or wait until my system is out of memory? It keeps coming up usb hard drive has been disconnected when it is still plugged into the system. I'm at the point of not knowing what to do.
Old 02-15-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I'm having trouble with my usb hard drive. Do I need to plug it in now or wait until my system is out of memory? It keeps coming up usb hard drive has been disconnected when it is still plugged into the system. I'm at the point of not knowing what to do.
Does you hard drive have its own power supply, or are you powering it solely through the Wii U's USB port?
Old 02-16-15, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Use a Y cable, that way it plugs into 2 USB ports and has enough power.

I was just looking at release dates on Gamestop, and I saw 6 scheduled releases for Wii U this year.

Old 02-16-15, 07:38 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I was just looking at release dates on Gamestop, and I saw 6 scheduled releases for Wii U this year.

Nintendo has more than that scheduled, but I agree it's limited right now. Perhaps they'll have more up their sleeve for E3.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Mario vs Donkey Kong
Yoshi's Wooly World
Mario Party 10
Splatoon
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Mario Maker
Star Fox
Legend of Zelda

Here is a link with most of the games previewed:
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/technolo...tml/?a=viewall
Old 02-16-15, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Nintendo has more than that scheduled, but I agree it's limited right now. Perhaps they'll have more up their sleeve for E3.

Mario vs Donkey Kong
Yoshi's Wooly World
Mario Party 10
Splatoon
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Mario Maker
Star Fox
Legend of Zelda
Ah nice, forgot about Starfox. Don't they skip E3 now and just do an online event?
Old 02-16-15, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Ah nice, forgot about Starfox. Don't they skip E3 now and just do an online event?
They've been attending E3 and have even done roundtables and the like. They just haven't put on the big stage shows that Sony, Microsoft, and a couple of the big publishers have.

Also, that list will also include The Devil's Third, the eShop-only Art Academy, Project Giant Robot, and Project Guard. Nintendo being Nintendo, there'll probably be a couple of wild cards we don't even know about right now.
Old 02-16-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD

Mario vs Donkey Kong
Yoshi's Wooly World
Mario Party 10
Splatoon
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Mario Maker
Star Fox
Legend of Zelda

Here is a link with most of the games previewed:
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/technolo...tml/?a=viewall
Is Mario vs. DK going to be an eShop exclusive? I had been looking online and couldn't see anywhere that it's getting a physical release.

So, I have a question. I haven't played a MP game since Mario Party 2 for the N64. I had a lot of fun, but I was 14 and I had a group of friends to play with.

I game entirely by myself. Is there a reason I should pick up Mario Party 10? It seems like it's only fun if you play with others.
Old 02-16-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Is Mario vs. DK going to be an eShop exclusive?
It's getting a physical release in Japan but is eShop-only everywhere else. Maybe we'll get a physical release down the road, like we did with Wii Sports Club and NES Remix.
Old 02-16-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It's getting a physical release in Japan but is eShop-only everywhere else. Maybe we'll get a physical release down the road, like we did with Wii Sports Club and NES Remix.
That would certainly explain Wii Sports Club's high price-tag for new copies. I didn't realize it was an eShop original. I want it but I guess I'll just stick with the digital copy. It's going for nearly $60 a pop on eBay.
Old 02-17-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like GameStop is accepting pre-orders for a May 1st reissue of the GameCube controller adapter. It's sold out online but you should be able to do it in-store.
Old 02-18-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Reviews are up for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. Generally positive to enthusiastic, with Gamespot as the one outlier so far.
Old 02-18-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been playing a good chunk of NSMBU on the game pad while the kids watch TV. I have to admit, those games look (and control) pretty damn good using that thing.
Old 02-18-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm worried about the stylus controls for Kirby, having to mostly look at the tablet to draw his path correctly, and not being able to do it looking at the TV.
Old 02-18-15, 06:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Giant Bomb also ripped it a new one, saying it felt soulless, that the controls meant you basically could never look at your TV while playing, and that they stripped out a lot of the elements that made Canvas Curse so great.

But I'll be damned if I don't want it for those graphics alone.
Old 02-18-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Giant Bomb also ripped it a new one, saying it felt soulless, that the controls meant you basically could never look at your TV while playing,
Goddammit! That's exactly what I was afraid of.
and that they stripped out a lot of the elements that made Canvas Curse so great.
Fuck, pour some salt in my wound, why don't you?
Old 02-18-15, 07:18 PM
Banned by request

I don't know who at Nintendo thinks the Wii U should simply mimic the DS. The DS works because the two screens are close in size and right next to each other. Touchpad gaming on the Wii U should be much more reserved and strategically used. Do not make it the main input for a game, especially a platformer.
Old 02-19-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems like, with only being able to look at the touchpad instead of your TV, they should've just released Kirby on the 3DS instead of the U.
Old 02-19-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I was going to buy this and Yoshi but can't stand looking at the dumb game pad. Definitely should have been a 3DS title.
Old 02-19-15, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I don't know who at Nintendo thinks the Wii U should simply mimic the DS.
On one hand, I get it. I mean, the DS is neck and neck with the PS2 as the top-selling piece of video game hardware of all time. Why wouldn't you try to recapture that kind of lightning in a bottle? It's just that the 3DS and Wii U are both semi-failed attempts at cashing in on previous successes instead of braving new ground. (They both have tremendous software libraries, and I love 'em both deeply, but there's no denying that they've failed to have anything resembling the impact their predecessors did.) The gamepad is a solution in search of a problem. When it's used well, it's unbelieveably great, but there are so few instances of that actually happening.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. I kind of hate the idea of looking at the gamepad when I have a big, fancy, pretty TV a few feet away from me. Still, I'm salivating for a new game, the price is pretty reasonable, it looks super-cute and gorgeous, and I think the potential for local multiplayer fun is there. Reviews have been sort of polarized. You either like it or you don't, with only a couple of "eh, it's okay" reviews in the mix. Never having played Canvas Curse, I don't know which side of that fence I'll fall on, but if I don't like it, maybe my wife will.

I never would've guessed that the Wii U would basically be my go-to console this generation.
Old 02-19-15, 11:47 AM
Banned by request

I might have gone for it anyway, except that in this game Kirby can't transform by eating enemies. To me, that's an essential element of what makes Kirby so fun.
Old 02-19-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

It sounds like it doesn't move nearly as quickly as Canvas Curse either (which did maintain the transformation aspect).
Old 02-19-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never heard the 3DS described as a "semi-failed attempt at cashing in on previous successes." Is it that much less successful than the DS?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.