Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Been playing Captain Toad this weekend... and it's pretty cool. My younger kids (10yo boy and 8yo girl) are loving it too.
really is a great game. i find it easier to play while watching the gamepad, because even on my 60" it's kind of difficult when the screen is so zoomed out. and you can't realistically play zoomed in. I REALLY enjoyed the first boss "fight", even if it was a little simple.

side note: i hate all the prompts telling you to "use right stick to rotate camera". NO SHIT IVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR HOURS.
Old 12-11-14, 12:21 AM

I came across a Wii U refurb. Between that and the GCU discount for the Bayonetta disc that I have coming, I figure I made the bundle that I was wanting them to put out.

It seems that they don't include the cradle or the stands with refurbs. They're not mentioned on the contents list on the flap of the refurb box, so I'm guessing it's not an error.

Along with the Nintendoland disc, it seems to have Super Mario 3D World and Nintendoland installed to the internal memory. It doesn't say anything about them being demos, but I haven't looked at them enough to say for sure.
Old 12-11-14, 02:34 PM

Really loving Capt Toad, but I hope more than anything they add the ability to shut off the damn motion camera.
Old 12-11-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Mega Man Zero just came out on the Virtual Console, and if you don't already have the MM Zero Collection on the DS, and if you have any goddamn self-respect, you will fucking download the shit out of that! I mean, a Mega Man game done in a Metroid-Vania style - if that doesn't give you a videogame boner, you just don't like videogames.
Old 12-11-14, 08:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Captain Toad has been a blast. I keep expecting it to end, but so far, it keeps opening up bonus rounds. Right now I'm stuck on a Mummy Maze level that has me earning 5,000 coins as the goal. I only managed to get under 2,300. Gonna take a fresh stab at it tomorrow.

Anyone know my Toadette speaks English and Toad doesn't? Or maybe Toad is just grizzled and only makes noises.
Old 12-13-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Well, we are now member of the Wii U family. I bought my daughter a Wii U as her big gift for Christmas and I now need a few suggestions. She got the Mario 3D World and Nintendoland bundle and I grabbed a copy of Toad as well. I will be taking advantage of the buy 1 get 40% off the other Wii U game starting at Best Buy on Sunday. I would like to get her two more games. Ones that I am thinking about are Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Brothers and possibly one of the other Mario games. Any suggestions?
Old 12-13-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can't go wrong with Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. I still like New Super Mario U and Rayman Legends for traditional platforming.
Old 12-13-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVDChris
You can't go wrong with Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. I still like New Super Mario U and Rayman Legends for traditional platforming.
I thought about Super Mario U and we already have Rayman for PS4 and it has gotten very little play.
Old 12-13-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should I get Shovel Knight for the 3DS or Wii U?
Old 12-14-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Target has the Wii U bundle with Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land for 249.99 starting today. Going back to Best Buy anyway this morning to get in on the Buy 1 get 40% off another Wii U game so I might as well get my 20 plus bucks back.
Old 12-14-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Nazgul
Should I get Shovel Knight for the 3DS or Wii U?
If given the option I prefer playing everything on a console over a portable. I only played Shovel Knight on Wii U and it's in my top ten of the year. I'll buy it again when it comes out on PS4.
Old 12-14-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The answer may be "no", but I'm gonna ask anyways...

Is there a way to have the Wii U menu up on the TV like it is on the tablet, AND STILL be able to control and pick menu items from the TV screen with the tablet controller?

(I just really hate having to look down at the tablet when I have a big TV in front of me)
Old 12-14-14, 11:43 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Target has the Wii U bundle with Mario 3D World and Nintendo Land for 249.99 starting today.
I happened to be in Woodfield mall on Friday, and there was a Nintendo display where I was given a 10% Target coupon for Nintendo products. This looks like a great opportunity to stack the deals.
Old 12-14-14, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm considering buying a Wii U from Target during their sale. Do you folks mostly use the giant gamepad for most games? Or will I need to buy one of those pro controllers or a wii remote?
Old 12-14-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Depends on the game. I'd say the Pro Controller is a must though, if only for the battery life. The gamepad only lasts for about 4 hours, so unless you like being tethered for long sessions, it's much nicer to just grab the Pro when the gamepad dies.
Old 12-14-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Depends on the game. I'd say the Pro Controller is a must though, if only for the battery life. The gamepad only lasts for about 4 hours, so unless you like being tethered for long sessions, it's much nicer to just grab the Pro when the gamepad dies.
And it also drains while the console's off as well, and completely drains after a few days.
Old 12-15-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

My Wife and I got our Daughter a Wii U for Christmas. I can't wait until I can get this thing hooked up and start playing it. lol. I swore I would never buy one but the lineup of games that have been released is just too good to pass up.
Old 12-15-14, 04:56 PM

I didn't get one yesterday, but there is a strong possibility that I'll cave this week, if Target stock remains. Also have the chance to get in on that (buy one, get one 40% off) deal on games at Best Buy.
Old 12-16-14, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nasesco417
I didn't get one yesterday, but there is a strong possibility that I'll cave this week, if Target stock remains. Also have the chance to get in on that (buy one, get one 40% off) deal on games at Best Buy.
I caved yesterday at Target with the 10% off coupon. I just couldn't pass it up for $225 with two games. Now to decide what other games to get... My son has quite a few on 3ds already, so I'm not sure about duplicating (Super Smash, New Super Mario).
Old 12-16-14, 07:59 PM

Officially caved! I was also able to use the 10% off coupon. The girl was nice enough to input the coupon number off of a scan I got from the web. I wasn't expecting that but gave it a shot. Also got an additional 5% off by applying for a red card credit card. All in all, I'm happy. I was also able to snag a bundle with games packed in. Seemed like the other bundles were pre-installed digital games.
Old 12-18-14, 10:25 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Any deals on the pro controllers coming up? I have an extra 10% off coupon for Target, so I guess it'll be $45 there. I seem to remember Best Buy selling them for $30 at some point this past summer.
Old 12-22-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Any deals on the pro controllers coming up? I have an extra 10% off coupon for Target, so I guess it'll be $45 there. I seem to remember Best Buy selling them for $30 at some point this past summer.
I was wondering this as well. It seems to rarely go on sale.
Old 12-22-14, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
My Wife and I got our Daughter a Wii U for Christmas. I can't wait until I can get this thing hooked up and start playing it. lol. I swore I would never buy one but the lineup of games that have been released is just too good to pass up.
Same here. Our daughter has been begging for one since playing with my nieces/nephews system earlier this year. I picked up the Super Mario/Super Luigi set for her a couple of months ago. I think I got everything covered with the exception of the pro controller. I missed out on the Target BF deal and have been looking for another deal but no luck yet. That may be something that I pick up after Xmas as she will probably want to use the gamepad anyway as it will be used more by me and my wife.
Old 12-22-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I was wondering this as well. It seems to rarely go on sale.
They were $28 at K-Mart last week, but it looks like that deal's over.

Some Targets were carrying them in-store for $39 on Black Friday (so $37.05 if you use their credit card), but that's gone too.

GameDealDaily still has pro controllers for $37.49, which isn't nearly as compelling but will still save you a few bucks. Like the Target deal, this was just for the white controllers, though.
Old 12-23-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Club Nintendo has a pretty cool lookin' NES Remix 2 tee as a reward for 700 coins. Nice to see some new physical rewards pop up. (A couple of 3DS game card cases were added as well.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.