Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Some more wiiu games on sale at amazon:
Sniper Elite is 20 bucks. Never really noticed that the game even came out, but seems tailor made for the WiiU pad.

The new Sonic is 30 bucks (the 3DS version is 20).
Old 01-24-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Kotaku sez everything's alright:

Good news, everyone! GameStop Italy and our U.S.-based source have both said that this was all a glitch in the system and that Watch Dogs is—or will soon be—available for pre-order for Wii U again in Italy and the U.S. Apologies for making everyone nervous about this and for not getting that all sorted prior to publishing the first time.
Old 01-28-14, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Speaking of expensive Nintendo games... why don't Wii U games drop in price like games on other consoles do? I don't even mean 1st party games, but 3rd party games like Rayman (which is still full price) and many others. Sure, there's a random sale sometimes, but prices go back up a week later. The U games just don't seem to get the same price drops that the same games on the 360 and PS3 do. Could it be due to there being less copies of these games out there?
Old 01-28-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Still amazes me when I see ZombieU for $60 at Target, BB & WM.
Old 01-28-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
If Watch_Dogs doesn't come out, I won't bother picking up another version.
Do you even own another console?
Old 01-28-14, 06:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Speaking of expensive Nintendo games... why don't Wii U games drop in price like games on other consoles do? I don't even mean 1st party games, but 3rd party games like Rayman (which is still full price) and many others. Sure, there's a random sale sometimes, but prices go back up a week later. The U games just don't seem to get the same price drops that the same games on the 360 and PS3 do. Could it be due to there being less copies of these games out there?
Nintendo has asked to keep as many obstacles up as possible for people on the fence.
Old 01-29-14, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Iwata and other board members are taking paycuts for 5 months to offset the losses. Iwata's salary will be cut in half, while others will see a 20%-30% decrease.
Instead of that just drop the price on the console again already. Guessing though the soonest that will happen is E3 if it does.
Old 01-29-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's like slamming your fingers in the door to lessen the pain of your headache.
Old 01-29-14, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have they even talked E3 plans yet? I wonder if they will skip the conference again this year.
Old 01-29-14, 09:22 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Instead of that just drop the price on the console again already. Guessing though the soonest that will happen is E3 if it does.
I could see a better bundle being far more likely over an official price cut.

So far, all Xbox One and PS4 have our ports. Nothing really 'that' exciting that is going to suddenly have them take off. Nintendo has a little bit of time before they have to make a drastic move. But it's not like Nintendo was in first place during the N64 or GameCube eras,.
Old 01-29-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomorrow's investor meeting should be interesting. The said they were going to implement a new business structure. They also denied the mobile rumors. I'm guessing we will see a new division tasked with exploring new ventures. Unfortunately, this will probably pull from WiiU development.
Old 01-29-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I could see a better bundle being far more likely over an official price cut.

So far, all Xbox One and PS4 have our ports. Nothing really 'that' exciting that is going to suddenly have them take off. Nintendo has a little bit of time before they have to make a drastic move. But it's not like Nintendo was in first place during the N64 or GameCube eras,.

Not sure about that, Titanfall and Infamous in March for each of the respective consoles should keep them selling well. Nintendo's opportune time was all of last year, and if another bundle is all they try and do, it won't get them that far.
Old 01-29-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Gizmo
So far, all Xbox One and PS4 have our ports. Nothing really 'that' exciting that is going to suddenly have them take off.
They've already taken off. Sony and Microsoft were more successful on day one than Nintendo was after a year. The numbers would be even bigger if Sony could keep up with demand. Dead Rising 3 and Killzone: Shadow Fall have shipped a million copies each. Took Nintendo around a year to get its first million-shipper, and its competition did it in a fraction of the time. Titanfall (even if it's not an exclusive) and Infamous: Second Son are going to be huge, and they're just a couple months away.

Oh well. At least you're no longer claiming that if Nintendo couldn't succeed with the Wii U, the Xbox One and PS4 would have to be doomed for failure.

I love Nintendo, the Wii U is my favorite of the three newer consoles, and I'm very eagerly anticipating some of the games on the horizon, but I have zero confidence in their business/marketing acumen. I don't believe the Wii U will ever really rebound, but I think we'll get some really good games along the way, and hopefully Nintendo will use this time to get their shit together for the next console. They make the same mistakes over and over and over and over and over, though, so I kind of expect them to bungle the next console launch too, disappointingly.

There's a difference between not being #1 and being an abject failure, and the Wii U is inarguably on the wrong side of that.

Originally Posted by XavierMike
Tomorrow's investor meeting should be interesting.
Even better, because of the time difference, we'll hear about the results of the meeting tonight in the U.S.
Old 01-29-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I've never seen a port look as good as NFS: Rivals, Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed IV look on the PS4 and Xbox One.

But with that said, the Wii U should be $199. The hardware is not worth $300 by any stretch of the imagination, especially with the PS4 at $399.

If they could find a way to emphasize same couch multiplayer again, I think it'd have a shot, but they'd have to do it with more than just Mario Party and Kart.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-29-14 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-29-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

There's not a direct quote (yet?), but according to Bloomberg:

Further price cuts are unlikely to spark fresh demand for the console, Iwata said today.
That goes back to what I was saying earlier. Price isn't what's keeping people from buying the Wii U. Audiences aren't being given a reason to want one. You'd get a spike with a price drop, but it'd drop back down afterwards.
Old 01-29-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It's a valid point, and right now it has a massive image problem.
Old 01-29-14, 01:36 PM

As someone who never really owned a Wii (but owns a Wii U that is getting played by the wife almost daily in the last 6 months)...

Any good Wii game recommendations? I grabbed Metroid Prime 3 on whim at Gamestop and am really loving it so far. Thinking of grabbing Super Mario Galaxy 2 and maybe Resident Evil 4. I'm going to hold off on Smash and Kart since their successors are months away.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-29-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It got mixed reviews, but I really like MadWorld. It seemed like as close to a Suda 51 game we were going to get on the Wii.
Old 01-29-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by StephenX
As someone who never really owned a Wii (but owns a Wii U that is getting played by the wife almost daily in the last 6 months)...

Any good Wii game recommendations? I grabbed Metroid Prime 3 on whim at Gamestop and am really loving it so far. Thinking of grabbing Super Mario Galaxy 2 and maybe Resident Evil 4. I'm going to hold off on Smash and Kart since their successors are months away.

Any suggestions?
Do you like light gun games? If you do and you don't own a ps3, the wii has a decent collection of light gun games. If you own a PS3, buy the ps3 versions.

Ghost Squad
Gunblade NY
House of the Dead 2 & 3
House of the Dead Overkill
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Old 01-29-14, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Krayzie
Do you like light gun games? If you do and you don't own a ps3, the wii has a decent collection of light gun games. If you own a PS3, buy the ps3 versions.

Ghost Squad
Gunblade NY
House of the Dead 2 & 3
House of the Dead Overkill
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Thanks, I'll check these out.... I did own a PS3 but sold it in anticipation of the PS4. I've looked online and a lot of people recommend Galaxy 2 (probably getting) and Skyward Sword.... I looked at SS videos and it looks just bland and not fun at all, like it's trying to be like Windwaker but not as fun.
Old 01-29-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The Wonderful 101 is down to $23.99 on Amazon (and Prime and all that!): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I08CSW/
Old 01-29-14, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
The Wonderful 101 is down to $23.99 on Amazon (and Prime and all that!): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I08CSW/
I've been debating between this and AC:BF. Decisions.
Old 01-29-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

BestBuy as well. $19.19 with GCU

Does anyone else have issues with BestBuy's cart and trying to check out... sometimes it just takes forever to load and then page not found... pathetic
Old 01-29-14, 04:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's what I was waiting for. Ordered!
Old 01-29-14, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

If Nintendo could turn back the clock...

I think it would've been better if Nintendo ditched the Tablet controller and had the 3DS as the actual controller. 3DS controller still optional. Release with three SKU's

1.System and 3DS: $350
2.System only: $200
3.System and Pro Controller: $250

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.