The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Old 04-22-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The Wii U: From "cool" Sony to evil Nintendo

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I still think it's too expensive. I'll even admit, there are a couple games I wouldn't mind playing on Wii U (the new DK game, Mario 3D World, maybe even Mario Kart), but no way would I pay anything over $150 - $200 to do so. Especially since it's getting crushed in sales performance and the last gen tech, Nintendo has to be working on getting another console out in the next couple years.
Too expensive, for sure. I just don't think they need to work on getting another console out in the next couple years. They just need more and better games out. I still love once in a blue moon dragging out my Gamecube. Some of my fave games of all time are from that system still. Next gen graphics are great for sure, but in the case of the WiiU, for me at least the price but more importantly the lack of stellar games is what is killing the system. Stop with the HD versions of old games and bring on the new stuff. I have Wind Waker on Gamecube and still can pay it on there. Hopefully this year's E3 we'll finally get word on a new Zelda, and heck a Metroid would be nice as well.
Old 04-22-14, 09:09 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

[QUOTE=Schloob1;12084713 Stop with the HD versions of old games and bring on the new stuff. I have Wind Waker on Gamecube and still can pay it on there. Hopefully this year's E3 we'll finally get word on a new Zelda, and heck a Metroid would be nice as well.[/QUOTE]

And yet the other consoles have been coming out with HD Remakes etc. for years and no one seems to have any issues with that. I could be wrong, but Nintendo has just had Wind Waker for the Wii U. So a 1.5 year old console and 1 release?
Old 04-22-14, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
And yet the other consoles have been coming out with HD Remakes etc. for years and no one seems to have any issues with that. I could be wrong, but Nintendo has just had Wind Waker for the Wii U. So a 1.5 year old console and 1 release?
Other consoles also have a shit-ton of software options in addition to the remakes.
Old 04-22-14, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Word came out that Nintendo is going to publish a Fatal Frame game for the Wii U. I believe that's the first announcement of a Nintendo-published physical Wii U release since Hyrule Warriors five months ago (!).

Nintendo hasn't gone nuts with HD remakes on the Wii U, at least not yet. I wouldn't mind if they'd release a few more. I wouldn't mind if they'd release, something, period.
Old 04-22-14, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rob V
Other consoles also have a shit-ton of software options in addition to the remakes.
Compare the current gen systems. Nintendo has had Zelda while XB1 and PS4 had Tomb Raider and PS4 is going to have Last of US. Nintendo has a year lead lead on them and less remakes. So...
Old 04-22-14, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Word came out that Nintendo is going to publish a Fatal Frame game for the Wii U. I believe that's the first announcement of a Nintendo-published physical Wii U release since Hyrule Warriors five months ago (!).

Nintendo hasn't gone nuts with HD remakes on the Wii U, at least not yet. I wouldn't mind if they'd release a few more. I wouldn't mind if they'd release, something, period.
The last two Fatal frames never made it to the US for Wii. Hopefully this one does.
Old 04-22-14, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compare the current gen systems. Nintendo has had Zelda while XB1 and PS4 had Tomb Raider and PS4 is going to have Last of US. Nintendo has a year lead lead on them and less remakes. So...
His point is the other systems have more software, so you have choices in games. Last holiday WW HD was one of Nintendo's flagship titles, so you had little choice if you were looking for games to buy.
Old 04-22-14, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by XavierMike
His point is the other systems have more software, so you have choices in games. Last holiday WW HD was one of Nintendo's flagship titles, so you had little choice if you were looking for games to buy.
XB1 and PS4 had more software 1-2 months after launch compared to the Wii U? Or are you seriously comparing the Wii U to 360/PS3 which had 7-8 years of releases?
Old 04-22-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

The remasters for the other consoles are hardly "system sellers", and they're never positioned as that. the Zelda WW remaster, however, was totally positioned as a triple-A system seller, regardless of the fact that it was a 10 year old game.
Old 04-22-14, 11:15 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slop101
The remasters for the other consoles are hardly "system sellers", and they're never positioned as that. the Zelda WW remaster, however, was totally positioned as a triple-A system seller, regardless of the fact that it was a 10 year old game.
Well that's certainly a great excuse to use. I had no idea Last of Us, which was bundled with the PS3 and as far as I can tell a huge seller is not being positioned as the same for the PS4.
Old 04-22-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Gizmo: how would you characterize the release slate for the Wii U?

As much as I love Nintendo and as much as I love my Wii U, it honestly doesn't even feel like Nintendo's trying. The shame of it all is that it seems like Nintendo's lost their ability to surprise (at least on a console/retail level), and that used to be their greatest asset. Still really looking forward to Mario Kart 8 next month, though!
Old 04-22-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that's certainly a great excuse to use. I had no idea Last of Us, which was bundled with the PS3 and as far as I can tell a huge seller is not being positioned as the same for the PS4.
As far as I know there isn't going to be a PS4 bundle with Last of Us, but there was a Wind Waker Wii U bundle. Since the Last of Us isn't even a year old yet, I don't think they are advertising it as a system seller. There are probably a bunch of people that traded in their PS3s in anticipation of the PS4 release that never played it since it launched so late in the cycle. Those are the people they are targeting.
Old 04-22-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Still really looking forward to Mario Kart 8 next month, though!
You're a part of the problem. :P
Old 04-22-14, 12:17 PM
Suspended

Gizmo: how would you characterize the release slate for the Wii U?

As much as I love Nintendo and as much as I love my Wii U, it honestly doesn't even feel like Nintendo's trying. The shame of it all is that it seems like Nintendo's lost their ability to surprise (at least on a console/retail level), and that used to be their greatest asset. Still really looking forward to Mario Kart 8 next month, though!
Fucking terrible.

The releases this year sound great, but last year wasn't so hot. But it's Nintendo so it's nothing new. The 3Ds and even the DS were pretty bad. I think we tend to forgot how terrible past launched have been and the internet now over-emphasizes things. My xbox One hasnt been touched in months. That was also a terrible launch game-wise.

Looking forward to MK. Never was a huge Smash fan.

Last edited by Gizmo; 04-22-14 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-22-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

The DS didn't really catch on until the DS Lite was released (alongside Brain Age), from there it was unstoppable. Nintendo needs to figure out what they want to do and release a Wii U Lite, without the emphasis on the ridiculous controller (which I like, it's just poorly planned out with regards to everything else). It was specifically designed with Nintendo's graphical sensibility in mind, it will never be a good 3rd party console, but then neither was the Wii.

imho, with a couple correct killer Apps and a slight redesign Nintendo could salvage it, but they aren't doing it yet.
Old 04-22-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly my point. The WiiU was (is) really hanging its hat on WW HD, but the HD ports on PS4 seem to be used to round out there list rather than carry it.
Old 04-22-14, 05:02 PM
Suspended

So Nintendo put everything on WW and not Pikmim, Donkey Kong, Mario etc? Or Mario kart and smash which are coming out this year. But sure, let's just say Nintendo is putting everything on a 10 year old remake.

Wow. I don't even know how to respond to that.
Old 04-22-14, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Since they priced it at full retail, yeah, they were propping it up as a full on AAA release. None of the other remakes on other consoles tend to do that. They're bargain priced.
Old 04-22-14, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So Nintendo put everything on WW and not Pikmim, Donkey Kong, Mario etc? Or Mario kart and smash which are coming out this year. But sure, let's just say Nintendo is putting everything on a 10 year old remake.

For the big holiday season when both of your competitors were coming with brand new systems, yep that is exactly what they did. They needed to come out with a NEW Zelda. And maybe even more, as Pikmin as much as I LOVE the first 2 has never been considered a huge title for them along the lines of Zelda, Metroid, and Mario for example. DK, MK8 and Smash between these 3 I would say at least 2 of them if not for a new Zelda for example needed to come out during the release of PS4 and XB1 and not an HD remake as your system seller during the holidays.
Old 04-22-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, when you put it like that, it sounds crazy, but no less true. Crazy is just how Nintendo's always run things. Sometimes it works for them, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 04-22-14, 05:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Since they priced it at full retail, yeah, they were propping it up as a full on AAA release. None of the other remakes on other consoles tend to do that. They're bargain priced.
So Tomb raider was bargain priced? $59.99 at launch

Last of us PS4 is $59.99 on amazon

Any other excuses?
Old 04-22-14, 05:39 PM
Suspended

Yeah, when you put it like that, it sounds crazy, but no less true. Crazy is just how Nintendo's always run things. Sometimes it works for them, sometimes it doesn't.
Well WW was not a "everything on it" move. As explained, they had several big titles they released as well. I didn't even mention Game and Wario either.
Old 04-22-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Michael Pachter, who covers/analyzes the videogame industry for traders, who obviously knows a lot about the ins and out of the industry has some very strong opinions (based on solid facts) on Nintendo, which sound more than reasonable to me

Industry analyst Michael Pachter has blasted Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata and controlling shareholder Hiroshi Yamauchi for their "poor" running of the company, labelling Iwata as a "pretty poor CEO" who has "done a very poor job" running Nintendo.

Pachter vented his opinion of the exec and his company during the latest episode of Pach-Attack, where he was asked whether he thought Nintendo may have to leave the hardware business.

"Having to? No, never," Pachter said. "Wanting to? Not while their biggest shareholder is Mr. Yamauchi who I believe is around 70, 71 years old, and not while Mr. Iwata is CEO. I think those two guys are deeply rooted in tradition in the past, in what made Nintendo great. And I think that the Nintendo formula for success for the last 35 years has been manufacture a console, sell it at a profit, and support console sales with proprietary software. And then when your console sells well, collect royalties from third-parties for the privilege of putting their software on the console."

However, Pachter believes "that model is broken for Nintendo.

"I think Nintendo is no longer able to compete the way they did in the past and sell their consoles at a big profit,"
he continues.

"I think that the Wii, when it first launched they were probably making about $100 of profit per unit. I think the DS when it first launched was probably generating about $50 of profit per unit. The 3DS I think is barely making a profit. The Wii U I think is barely making a profit - I'm talking 5 or 10 bucks per unit."

Pachter suggests that Nintendo's hardware profits are "so low that it really doesn't make sense for them to be in the hardware business.

"But I don't think they realise that yet," he adds. "And that's a business decision, so this is a criticism of Mr. Iwata, not of Reggie [Fils-Aime, President & COO, Nintendo of America]. Reggie and the marketing team, they're great, they do what they can. You have to... play with the cards that you are dealt. They're dealt the Wii U, they're going to do the best they can to market it and the best they can to get you excited about the software. So I love the US marketing guys, I think they're phenomenal and I have no problem with any of those guys."

But Pachter doesn't feel the same way about Iwata.

"I think Mr. Iwata's a pretty poor CEO," he continues. "I think he's done a very poor job running the company. I have a neutral rating on Nintendo, but I have to say only because their cash level supports their current share price. It's a bad company that doesn't make money."

Nintendo's future in the hardware business has been questioned following the poor reception to the company's latest console Wii U.

Sales of the console are reported to have been "slower than expected", with sales falling below PlayStation Vita in recent weeks.

"Your question, will they have to exit the console-making business?," continued Pachter. "The good news is, Nintendo has something around 8 or 9 billion dollars - billion - of cash on their balance sheet. When they lose money, they lose something like a billion dollars. And frankly, I think next year their losses will be smaller. I think if they lose money it'll be $100m, $200m. They can run for 50 more years and keep losing money and they're not going to go out of business. So they aren't forced to do anything."

Pachter also says that he's "surprised that Nintendo investors have watched the stock go from 63,000 Yen down to 8,000 Yen and have stuck with the management team.

"The stock has dropped to cash value so there's no value in investing in it. The only way anybody is going to make money going forward is if Nintendo suddenly starts making money, and they're not going to make money on hardware, not at these prices."

He continued: "If Nintendo's business is trying to make a profit, once they conclude they aren't going to make any money on hardware, of course they should exit the hardware business. And if they were to put their software on multiplatform they would probably sell twice as much software. So I think Nintendo, if they were to follow the SEGA route, would be immensely more profitable, but it's not in their DNA...

"When Yamauchi no longer is a shareholder [and] Iwata is no longer there, maybe, but I'd say they're gonna keep fumbling around and keep trying to make money in hardware. Don't think it's going to work. I'm not particularly optimistic about an investment in Nintendo stock and I am a stock market guy so I've been pretty good about stock market investments.

"If you don't like that answer, Nintendo fans, deal with it."
<iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:gametrailers.com:20ca00b3-418d-47ca-a75c-a72bc82af22f" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Pach-Attack!

Old 04-22-14, 08:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At this point I would be happy with one gaming console like the PS4 and a few PC games I pick up here and there. If Nintendo got out of hardware, I wouldn't mind.

Not saying I want a monopoly in the gaming industry, but the three system thing we've had going for a while is wearing thin.
Old 04-22-14, 08:07 PM
Suspended

Who cares? With the way mobile games are, this is probably the last console generation (IMO) anyway. 3DS makes Nintendo plenty of cash, which is something the Vita can't do for Sony (selling 10k units a month apparently). iPhone/Android is sadly the future. Just got my controller for my FireTV and look forward to playing Minecraft and Walking Dead. I'm sure Apple has something around the corner as well. How can Nintendo, Sony or MS compete with that?

I guess we just don't talk about the financial status of Sony which been laying off people, selling to Vaio business etc. I don't really pay much attention to Patcher as he has been saying the same stuff for years.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.