Re: CNN.com Story : "Why console gaming is dying"

60% of the time, it works every time
Old 11-13-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewa...ster-than-wii/

Originally Posted by Forbes
Nintendo had a smash hit on its hands when it released the Wii game console back in 2006. Now it’s getting ready to release a long-awaited followup, and analysts say the new hardware will sell even faster.

A research report published Monday by IHS Screen Digest predicts that the new Nintendo Wii U console will sell 3.5 million units worldwide between its November 18th release and the end of December 2012. That’s 12% more than the 3.1 million Wii consoles Nintendo moved during a similar sales period in 2006.

“Pent-up demand from Nintendo evangelists, many of which were introduced to the console market through the success of the Wii, is predicted to drive this explosive start,” according to the report.

IHS says Wii U’s will fly off the shelves so quickly that there will be supply shortages over the holiday shopping season, and many consumers will have to wait until after the new year until they can find the console in stores.

Nintendo investors shouldn’t get too excited, though: IHS forecasts that after the stellar start, Wii U sales will slow, and the new console will only reach around 70% of the Wii’s sales volume in the first four years after release. The Wii moved 75.9 million units during that period, while IHS forecasts Wii U sales around 53.2 million units.

“This time around, Wii U’s pure innovation, coupled with a limited volume of high-quality Nintendo software, will not be enough to drive the ongoing sales momentum we witnessed with the Wii console, especially at a higher price point,” said Piers Harding-Rolls, senior principal analyst and head of games at IHS, in a statement. “Long-term success depends on ongoing consumer engagement delivered through the constant release of high-quality content from both first and third parties, a competitive non-games entertainment proposition and a sound digital and online strategy to go along with such innovation. Nintendo is still some way short of delivering a comprehensive engagement-led value proposition at the launch of the Wii U.”

The Wii U will be released in two configurations: A $299.99 basic set; which contains the console (with 8 GB of memory), cables, and the touch-screen Wii U gamepad, all in white; or a $349.99 deluxe set, all in black, which also comes with a stand for the console, a charging cradle for the game pad, and a copy of the new game NintendoLand.

The family-friendly, motion-sensitive Wii is far and away the leader of the current console generation, with nearly 100 million units sold worldwide –about thirty million more than either of its competitors, Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Sony’s PlayStation 3.

Microsoft and Sony are expected to announce their new video game consoles sometime in 2013. When those devices hit the market, they are likely to take a huge bite out of Wii U sales as well.
Old 11-14-12, 07:48 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right now I have basically switched almost exclusively to PC gaming. i haven't played any xbox since May...although i think i played Kinect Adventures with my niece once. My family does use the xbox daily for Netflix and Hulu, but I don't play games. I did put Halo 4 on my christmas list so I will get back to some console gaming next month.

The biggest reason I have switched over to PC gaming is playtime. My family usually has my xbox tied up most of the time so it doesn't leave me alot of gaming time on it so I just play games on my laptop while they watch their stuff. Also, game prices are sooooo much better on the PC. You can get some really amazing deals off of steam sales, gamestop downloads, green man gaming, amazon downloads etc... That is a big plus for PC gaming

Eventually I am sure I will run into hardware issues being that I don't have a powerhouse of a laptop, but I think it will still be a while before I won't be able to play the newer games.
Old 11-14-12, 07:57 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj

The biggest reason I have switched over to PC gaming is playtime. My family usually has my xbox tied up most of the time so it doesn't leave me alot of gaming time on it so .

Buy another xbox! I have 4 in my home (each kid has one) one in my weekend home and one at my parents...
Old 11-14-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Buy another xbox! I have 4 in my home (each kid has one) one in my weekend home and one at my parents...
fanboy

Old 11-14-12, 08:16 AM
wlj

LOL, my wife would give me a big "WTF" look if I suggested that. especially since we just got a $6,000 concrete driveway

Last edited by wlj; 11-14-12 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-14-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Forbes
A research report published Monday by IHS Screen Digest predicts that the new Nintendo Wii U console will sell 3.5 million units worldwide between its November 18th release and the end of December 2012. That’s 12% more than the 3.1 million Wii consoles Nintendo moved during a similar sales period in 2006.

“Pent-up demand from Nintendo evangelists, many of which were introduced to the console market through the success of the Wii, is predicted to drive this explosive start,” according to the report.

IHS says Wii U’s will fly off the shelves so quickly that there will be supply shortages over the holiday shopping season, and many consumers will have to wait until after the new year until they can find the console in stores.
I wonder what they're basing this research on. I honestly don't think it'll sell that well. It won't bomb, but I doubt there'll be shortages mostly because there are SO MANY Wiis that are already in homes collecting dust.
Old 11-14-12, 11:08 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by slop101
I wonder what they're basing this research on. I honestly don't think it'll sell that well. It won't bomb, but I doubt there'll be shortages mostly because there are SO MANY Wiis that are already in homes collecting dust.

Really? Wii U has that new game Batman Arkham City at launch.

Old 11-14-12, 11:18 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am just going to say it, so 2 years from now someone can drag it up and throw it in my face...but the Wii U is not going to sale even a 1/5th of what the wii will do in its lifetime.

No huge innovation like the Wii.
Only has 1 year before it is considered underpowered. (something important since it does not have the above mentioned innovation)
100 million Wii units in homes around the world, and the ones that were impulse buys (a lot of them) never get turned on(outside netflix) Those people will remember that.
Old 11-14-12, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Totally agree with Fox - I mean, even the "must have" games like Super Mario are just retreads of old Wii games and don't look much better than the average 360/PS3 game.

This is anecdotal, but I normally get all consoles within a month of their release, but with the U, I'll probably wait a good 6 to 9 months until it's first price drop and/or a decent amount of good 1st party games.
Old 11-14-12, 12:48 PM
wlj

I am just going to say it, so 2 years from now someone can drag it up and throw it in my face...but the Wii U is not going to sale even a 1/5th of what the wii will do in its lifetime.

kinda like a few weeks ago someone bumped the Halo Combat Evolved thread back when it came out and I said it wasn't going to be that big of a deal
Old 11-14-12, 01:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I only skimmed the article, and honestly want it to be wrong, but there must be something to it if the numbers show that rather steep decline, right?

I'll admit that for me and friends/kids that I know, time on consoles has steadily declined since the internet and mobile gaming has taken off.
Old 11-14-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
but there must be something to it if the numbers show that rather steep decline, right?
Yes. Here's a better written article on the same:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/18134...retail_now.php

Aging hardware is a big part of it, but:

In previous generations, I believe there have been contractions in the lull before and during the launch of a sequence of new platforms. However, I don't believe that the industry has grown during a generation and then returned to its starting size at the end of that generation - until now.
At least part of the moral of the story is that the future isn't in retail, and that's a point that's definitely hammered home in the Gamasutra article. The industry is reporting lousy numbers, but one way to make them at least somewhat less lousy (no one knows how much!) is to report digital sales. There's no way digital numbers are compensating for the gigantic drop in overall sales, of course.
Old 11-14-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No huge innovation like the Wii.
Only has 1 year before it is considered underpowered. (something important since it does not have the above mentioned innovation)
100 million Wii units in homes around the world, and the ones that were impulse buys (a lot of them) never get turned on(outside netflix) Those people will remember that.
I played Wii Sports for maybe an hour when the thing came out and haven't touched it since. I don't think MS or Sony is sweating the Wii U at all.
Old 11-14-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Totally agree with Fox - I mean, even the "must have" games like Super Mario are just retreads of old Wii games and don't look much better than the average 360/PS3 game.
Hasn't this been true of Nintendo's last few console launches?

I still think there will be shortages if only because of the Xmas rush and scalpers.

I'm surprised the article doesn't talk more about the huge cost of making console games these days, which is why studios get brought to their knees if a high profile, expensive game doesn't do well, and also why there's been so much consolidation under the bigger players. It's also harder to take risks with new IPs unless you're very established as a publisher. Sure they could have rebranded the other Assassin's Creed games as something else, but the name only added to the audience.

That's why, while I love the Vita, I'm not sure how it's going to do... the increased capabilities mean that it's got to cost more to make games that really stretch the system, and are developers really going to recoup that with game sales on a portable?
Old 11-14-12, 03:57 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In previous generations, I believe there have been contractions in the lull before and during the launch of a sequence of new platforms. However, I don't believe that the industry has grown during a generation and then returned to its starting size at the end of that generation - until now.
Of course, a lot of that growth was based on gimmicks and fads, much moreso than any previous generation I can think of. Motion controls and plastic guitars pulled in new casual gamers outside the normal audience for awhile and inflated the numbers, but that 'bandwagon' audience was harder to sustain as the trends died down.
Old 11-14-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I played Wii Sports for maybe an hour when the thing came out and haven't touched it since. I don't think MS or Sony is sweating the Wii U at all.
Soon after the WiiU announcement we see the PS3 supporting Vita in a similar fashion, and MS has spent the past year developing surface to do similar things with the Xbox.

They may not be "sweating" Nintendo but you're crazy if you don't think they have their eye on them very closely. Both aped motion controls and both have now aped the second screen concept.