Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

X-Com: Enemy Unknown (PC, 360, PS3)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: X-Com: Enemy Unknown (PC, 360, PS3)

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
How long is the game Breakfast? I haven't played too much in the last couple weeks. I think I left off with the big mother ship landing over S. America. Do the missions continue to be largely story driven to a standard conclusion?

This game is great in almost every way. But that is my biggest complaint is how story driven it seems. I liked how the original was more open ended. You could build multiple bases wherever you wanted. This game is more structured and obviously tailored to an overarching story.
Yeah, I would agree with that.

My first game was maybe 25 hours or so. I think you're pretty close to the end of the game--you just have to build a Gollop Chamber and you can initiate the final mission.
Old 11-07-12, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Figured this thread needed a small bump and add my review that I finished on last Friday to the mix for anybody else who needs that small push.

http://upcomingdiscs.com/2012/11/02/...nown-xbox-360/
Old 11-12-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never heard of XCOM until this was getting close to release. I have played Civilization (I-IV) in the past (and even Civilization: Revolution on PS3), but all the gameplay videos I've seen of XCOM didn't really look anything like Civ so I wasn't really sure what to expect with this. It was getting good reviews so I figured what the hell and picked it up with Target's B2G1F deal...

So glad I did. What a truly great game. It deserves every bit of praise that it's getting. And I agree with a previous post that you totally lose track of time while playing... it definitely has that "just one more turn" addiction that the Civ games had. Pop it in and suddenly 6 or 7 hours have gone by. Loving every second of it so far.
Old 12-14-12, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Just started playing this. Lots of fun.
Old 12-26-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got this for Christmas, I've already sunk in about 5 or 6 hours into it. A ton of fun. Really addicting, and really miserable when one of your long time squad members bites it.
Old 12-27-12, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah lol. I had to reload a few times. I know, I know, takes away the drama.
Old 12-27-12, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Just think of it as resurrection juice. . I perpetually save in that game all the time, especially since certain maps really just put the screws to you. So, I've noticed that if I save before the mission begins, sometimes I can get a much better map. It's the kind of game though where I just want to shut myself for a weekend so I can finish it up. Truly fascinating experience.
Old 12-27-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Gamefly had the download on sale for $22.50, so I finally got it. Hopefully will play soon.
Old 12-27-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Yeah I did this my first play through as well. Ended up with a team of 8 super soldiers. I think it's fine the first play through when you're still getting the hang of things, but the game is a lot more fun and engaging if you just let them die. You end up getting gifted high level charcters later in the game anyway, so it doesn't mess you up too bad in the long run. And micromanaging your bench can be a lot of fun when you're forced to make hard choices.

I've played through this game 2.5 times and then I got kind of tired of it. I do wish it was more open ended like the original, I think it would have added a lot more longevity. The mechanics feel too tight and obvious once you play for a short period of time. The battles themselves are really well done though. Although I wish there were more map variety.
Old 12-27-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are there more games like this?
Old 12-27-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The ground portion is sort of similar to like a Final Fantasy Tactics type game.
Old 12-27-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

So I think I've been doing it all wrong... I thought psi potential was fixed, so I've been testing recruits as soon as they came in. I guess I'm supposed to build them up a bit first because a higher will means a higher chance of having psi powers? Crap.

If you have a 3DS, the Ghost Recon game that came out at launch was made by one of the original X-com developers and plays very similar to this.
Old 12-28-12, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lordwow
The ground portion is sort of similar to like a Final Fantasy Tactics type game.
Its more like FFT is an X-Com type game since the original X-Com predates FFT by several years.
Old 12-28-12, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm so tempted to buy this from Green Man Gaming for $17.50, but I have so many other games to play first!
Old 12-29-12, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Been putting a ridiculous amount of time into this game over the last few weeks after grabbing it on Black Friday for $25. Tonight was a terribly glitchy night, but outside of that, still having a blast.
Old 01-06-13, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like how my soldiers will smash the window open in their way before shooting... and then shoot through the wall
Old 01-07-13, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by lordwow
I like how my soldiers will smash the window open in their way before shooting... and then shoot through the wall
To further elaborate on that point, I like how the soldiers will always smash windows open, even when an open doorway is a square or two away. It's so much like, HERE I AM TO KILL YOU ALIEN. *alien makes indescribable sound and blows him away*. Sweet, sweet death. That's pretty much how it goes.
Old 01-07-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Kotaku just picked this as their Game of the Year.
Old 07-21-13, 06:44 PM
Banned

I just finished my first Xcom game. I am a lifelong Civ fan but never played Xcom before. Yes I am weird.

I really liked this new Xcom game, but I don't think it has the replay value that Civ does, mostly because Xcom is more story-based with less open gameplay than Civ. I do still see myself replaying Xcom several times though, just not as often as I replay a Civ game.

My first Xcom game, I lost 56 soldiers.

I didn't reload when a soldier dies like many gamers probably do. I just dealt with the loss and moved on. There were several times I lost my entire six man squad. I lost a few majors and colonels too.

I did manage to keep all 16 countries on the Council. I took someone's earlier advice and got the satellites up as quickly as possible. I had full satellite coverage all over the world by the end of the third month.

Laboratories seemed to be useless. All they do is increase research speed, and I had the research tree completely done many months before I finished the game. So for the last approximate 3/4 of the game, the science department was doing literally nothing at all. Next game I will just ignore laboratories and just build workshops everywhere. Workshops give you more engineers and make things cheaper to buy, which is infinitely more useful than laboratories.