Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NHL 13: The Official Thread of Online GM, Improved AI and new skating mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NHL 13: The Official Thread of Online GM, Improved AI and new skating mechanics

I downloaded the demo last night and installed this morning. Will try to give it a go tonight before MW2.
Old 08-23-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: NHL 13: The Official Thread of Online GM, Improved AI and new skating mechanics

Originally Posted by cruzness
Downloaded the demo overnight and played around with it a bit this morning before I went to work. I think I kinda like it.

Jumped into the freeskate to kinda check out the controls for a few minutes. Very responsive and fluid. scored 4 times on 40+ shots (one was a really nice wraparound coming from behind the net).

Next I jumped into the demo game. I only won one faceoff and they outshot me 2:1 but I did score twice, kept them from scoring and got used to the passing and checking.

Then I checked out the videos including the tutorial you mentioned. Had a couple of good things I hadn't figured out
The game is way different than the last one I played (09?) And since you are saying that the game has been revamped I won't feel too far behind the curve. I'm leaning towards picking it up. May try to play some more of the demo to convince me.
Yep. There's going to be a little bit of a re-learning curve for everybody. If you scored twice in the demo, you'll do just fine.

I spend most of my NHL gaming time with Ultimate Team. It's a love it or hate it kind of thing, it seems... but I love collecting/building my team. The taste you get in the demo barely scratches the surface.

Additionally there's all the EASHL stuff (also not in demo) and the Be A Pro mode... and the online GM mode...
Old 08-23-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just pre ordered...I CALL GOALIE!!!!
Old 08-23-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I played the demo, too, and I have to agree it felt very fluid. Scored twice, and then the OT winner in the recreate NHL history or whatever.
Old 08-23-12, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't played an NHL game in a while (maybe 8 years, give or take), but I'm downloading the demo now. Madden has kind of lost my interest in the last year or so, and I need a good sports video game to waste too much time with.
Old 08-23-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would also recommend NCAA '13 if you're tired with Madden and hockey doesn't float your boat.
Old 08-23-12, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by shumway
I would also recommend NCAA '13 if you're tired with Madden and hockey doesn't float your boat.
I played the NCAA 13 demo and enjoyed it quite a bit. I've been thinking about picking that up, too. I'm not really a fan of college football, but after not playing hardly any video game football the last year I'm really itching to play some.
Old 08-23-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

NCAA 12 was fun. I think I'd play the new version when it goes down in price.
Old 08-23-12, 11:24 PM

Wow, these games have become a lot more complicated over the last few years.
Old 08-26-12, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just wondering how you guys that have NHL 12 are liking this demo and will you get 13? I am still playing NHL 10 and I like the demo so I am thinking it might be a good time to "upgrade".
Old 08-26-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I was just wondering how you guys that have NHL 12 are liking this demo and will you get 13? I am still playing NHL 10 and I like the demo so I am thinking it might be a good time to "upgrade".
I buy every year so maybe I'm not the best opinion. But IMO if you were waiting for significant changes to the gameplay, this skating engine is the biggest leap in the fundamental mechanics of the game since NHL10. Plus all of the game modes that have been added since 10 give you a massive amount of new content.

NHL is still the most consistently impressive EA franchise. If you enjoyed NHL10, you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-26-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I buy every year so maybe I'm not the best opinion. But IMO if you were waiting for significant changes to the gameplay, this skating engine is the biggest leap in the fundamental mechanics of the game since NHL10. Plus all of the game modes that have been added since 10 give you a massive amount of new content.

NHL is still the most consistently impressive EA franchise. If you enjoyed NHL10, you won't be disappointed.
I used to buy them every year dating back to the original NHL Hockey for Genesis but I pick and choose a bit these days. From the demo I am really enjoying the differences from NHL 10 so I think I will be pre-ordering this one.
Old 08-30-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally tried the demo last night. It took me a little bit to feel like I was getting the hang of it. I enjoyed the free skate bit. I still don't get how to switch players manually either. I kept rotating lines accidentally. Overall, it seemed like a good time.
Old 08-31-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fuck you, stupid demo. It should not be this hard to score for someone that has played this game for so long.
Old 09-07-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just put in my pre-order at Amazon to make sure I get the credit.
Old 09-07-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Just put in my pre-order at Amazon to make sure I get the credit.
Same
Old 09-07-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PRE-ORDER! NOW!

I figured out how to score, btw. And there seems to be one tried and true method. Slip into the slot and launch a wrister, high and hard over the blocker. HOWEVER... now if you aim hard to a corner (even with a skilled sniper) you're going to ring 'em off the post and crossbar. You have to finesse the shot more than in past years. Kind of annoying for people who are accustomed to aiming hard to corners... but more fair, I suppose. Makes the wrist-shot power-up in Be A Pro and EASHL more important.
Old 09-07-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, we're looking at: flip, nic, cruz, r2, myself, and sauce with a copy? What are we going to play together?
Old 09-07-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, we're looking at: flip, nic, cruz, r2, myself, and sauce with a copy? What are we going to play together?
I call goalie!

I can't wait to match up against someone with all 6 of us and lose like 30-4.
Old 09-07-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pre-ordered to get the Amazon credit for PS3.
Old 09-07-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I call goalie!

I can't wait to match up against someone with all 6 of us and lose like 30-4.
And if I was goalie we would lose 45-4.
Old 09-07-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NOBODY PLAYS GOALIE! Let's just get that out of the way now.
Old 09-08-12, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

BTW flip - I think we may have convinced sauce into picking this up too. nic r2 and yawmush were pushing it like it was the new drug
Old 09-09-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice. Now we need to figure out what to do with all you m'f'ers.
Old 09-09-12, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

I heard you play an awesome offensive defenseman

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.