Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wii - Should I dump it? (WARNING: Rant inside)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Wii - Should I dump it? (WARNING: Rant inside)

Old 08-06-12, 09:30 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: The Wii - Should I dump it? (WARNING: Rant inside)

One piece of info...

If you plan on getting a Wii U, you can transfer all your Wii VC games over. My Wii is just sitting there until that happens as I'd rather just wait to play the remaining Wii games on the Wii U (hopefully with support from the newer controller)
Old 08-06-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

Spoiler:

You know what they say about opinions...

Spoiler:
...and assholes.

SMG was more creative and fun than any of those games.

Of those games, Uncharted 2, Bioshock and Arkham Asylum are the closest runners up, and I would add Fallout 3 rather than Skyrim.

Just Cause 2...really?
Old 08-06-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

As much as I enjoyed SMG, I have to disagree with it being the best single player experience of this generation, I've enjoyed other games much much more. With that said, SMG was very good and is the best Wii game out there (which surprised me as I found Mario 64 to be a total and complete bore and Mario Sunshine to be something of a joke.)

This generation of Zeldas and Metroids has been hugely disappointing to me.
Old 08-06-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Of those games, Uncharted 2, Bioshock and Arkham Asylum are the closest runners up
I'd give Bioshock (the setting has never been seen before, the story was fantastic, and the twist? Awesome for a video game) a slight edge to Mario, but regardless it's some damn fine company to be in.

NSMBWii gets a ton of love, but Galaxy was the best Mario game in a decade. The former has too many waggle moves that should just be button presses. Galaxy had just the right mix of motion/pointer controls.
Old 08-06-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'd give Bioshock (the setting has never been seen before, the story was fantastic, and the twist? Awesome for a video game) a slight edge to Mario, but regardless it's some damn fine company to be in.
I can respect that, and I enjoyed the hell out of Bioshock (other than the end). I regret that my personality didn't allow me to experiment more with plasmid combos. I generally just find something that works and stick with it, so it really just played like a shooter in a great environment for me.

I was just amazed at the cleverness and variety of the game design in SMG. Every other level would throw a clever game design at you that you had never seen before, and they had so many ideas they didn't run any of them into the ground.
Old 08-06-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Dump that POS.

You can get all the light gun bliss you need with Move on the PS3.
I would keep the Wii as the PS3 doesn't have Ghost Squad, House of the Dead 2 or the Gunblade NY & L.A. Machineguns arcade collection.
Old 08-06-12, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
One piece of info...

If you plan on getting a Wii U, you can transfer all your Wii VC games over. My Wii is just sitting there until that happens as I'd rather just wait to play the remaining Wii games on the Wii U (hopefully with support from the newer controller)

What is the best guess so far? Somehow connect the two systems? Or tokens for whatever games are registered on your Nintendo Club (so system isn't needed)?
Old 08-06-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Even my 9 and 4 year olds don't give a shit about the Wii. I'll never buy another Nintendo product.
Old 08-06-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

This thread is getting more attention than the official Wii thread has in months
Old 08-06-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Sometimes I love the Wii and sometimes I want to throw it off a bridge. We have Lego Star Wars, and it should be a great game, but the only control option is using the Wiimote and nunchuck and I would much rather use the classic controller ( I actually do Mario Kart better with the controller than I do the wheel) and that makes LSW such a frustrating experience.

New Super Mario Bro's and Paper Mario are great, and I think they have just the right amount of motion control, but there are far too many games that make you waggle when you should just be pressing a button. How hard would it have been to put in regular controller support on these games?

I do also like it for the Virtual Console. I spent the better part of Saturday morning playing Y's Book 1, a game I've wanted to play for the better part of 20 years.
Old 08-06-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One piece of info...

That's my plan as well.
Old 08-06-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

One piece of info...

Good to know, thanks!
Old 08-06-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Alot of you guys seem to share my stance. Donkey Kong CR was killed for me the same as it was for the above reasons and SMG1+2 were annoying. Balancing on a ball....really? This system would be great if I had the OPTION of using motion control or not, but nope. I even hate the new Mario Kart. I play the gamecube one more than this heap.

I was thinking of using this piece of crap for the classic games and just d/ling a bunch of games I love. I still have my SuperN, Gamecube, N64 and play those MORE than the Wii. I may just get rid of these games and system, than just get them all on VC as theyre more fun.

I have more fun with games like Uncharted, Bioshock, Assassins Creed than something like Mario. I was playing it and kept telling myself "Im getting too old for this shit" Thats never a good sign when gaming
Old 08-06-12, 06:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I still have some Wii games but almost all the use the Wii gets from me is for Gamecube games and Virtual Console games.