Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by lopper
My main issues with the Batmobile at this point don't involve how it handles, but it's the fact that I'm spending so much time in it. So far, the balance between tank/chase/scanning and on foot activities has been way off. And that may just be due to the way I'm playing, being so focused on side missions and collectibles. I need to focus on story stuff and see if that takes me into more stealth and hand to hand stuff.
Sticking to just the main story for the most part, and I feel I'm spending a good amount of time in the Batmobile. It's not egregious, but it is more than I would have expected. Maybe 20 to 30% of the time? I pulled that number out of my ass.

I was listening to a podcast talking about Knight, and one of the panelists said that when its all said and done Asylum will probably go down as the best game in the series. I find myself agreeing with that sentiment. Asylum had none of the fluff of the other games. It was also the first so it was the freshest and a total surprise. The funny thing is I remember so many people saying back then "I want to drive the Batmobile!" "I want to go to Gotham!" "I want to go to the Batcave!" which are things we got in later games, but the lack of those things made Asylum such a tight experience. Except for that final boss battle.
Old 06-26-15, 11:34 AM
Banned

I agree that Asylum was the best in the series. Or at least it was my favorite.

Asylum had that "Metroidvania" kind of gameplay which the other games don't do as well because they're much more open-world. The less open-world of Asylum did give it a tighter focus that led to a better game overall.
Old 06-26-15, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Asylum has been on sale all over the place lately, and can currently be had for ~$5 on PC. I'm considering picking it up just because AK isn't scratching that Arkham itch.
Old 06-26-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right. Asylum also had the most consistent narrative structure. Arkham Asylum being closed down and overan makes narrative sense. City, Origins, and Knight all have to jump through hopes (to varying degrees of success) to have the game worlds make sense.

I know Batman = Awesome is usually the way that character is portrayed, but I love how Rocksteady makes Bats a total dickbag asshole in these games. There is nothing likeable about this Batman at all.

I'm in a tank battle right now that is giving me flashbacks to the awful Deathstroke fight from Origins. If I could just skip this I would, because I hate hitting my head against a wall trying to take out something that I just can't figure out. The worst thing is usually when this happens I'm doing something wrong, but this time I'm doing what I'm supposed to do, it's just hard as shit (at least for me).
Old 06-26-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Sticking to just the main story for the most part, and I feel I'm spending a good amount of time in the Batmobile. It's not egregious, but it is more than I would have expected. Maybe 20 to 30% of the time? I pulled that number out of my ass..
Yeah, I agree that the usage of the Batmobile is a bit much. Granted some of that comes down to how much you opt to use it over just using the grapnel gun or whatever, but it does feel like there are a lot of times where its pretty much necessary to use the Batmobile.
Old 06-26-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm having a tough time figuring out where to go, what to do for a lot of the missions - there's no map marker saying where things are, and it doesn't seem like Batman has a "sense" to figure things out. Seems like just the main missions are map-marked.
In the mission select screen, highlight what you want to do next and set a waypoint.
Old 06-26-15, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm having a tough time figuring out where to go, what to do for a lot of the missions - there's no map marker saying where things are, and it doesn't seem like Batman has a "sense" to figure things out. Seems like just the main missions are map-marked.
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
In the mission select screen, highlight what you want to do next and set a waypoint.
Right, but like slop says it seems like some of the side missions don't have markers. For instance the firefighter rescues or the different murders - they seem to rely on you just hunting around for them and/or listening for the surveillance chatter.
Old 06-26-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right. Asylum also had the most consistent narrative structure. Arkham Asylum being closed down and overan makes narrative sense. City, Origins, and Knight all have to jump through hopes (to varying degrees of success) to have the game worlds make sense.
Yeah, that's one thing that I always wished would have been handled differently in the sequels. In Arkham Asylum it made sense that it would be shut down and there was no reason for civilians to be wandering around. I sort of dislike the fact that in the sequels there's always an excuse as to why Gotham is abandoned. Granted it might be sort of a pain in the ass if there were more people around, but at the same time I think it would make things more interesting if the city was more lively.
Old 06-26-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Dead of the night and high crime rate with Super Villains??

Last edited by Music; 06-26-15 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Music
Dead of the night and high crime rate?
Yeah I know that but even so. The games always have some reason the city is abandoned. Even in a big city with high crime rates late at night you would think some people would be out and about. Not a ton of people but I think it would be better than a city that's devoid of any people aside from criminals or Batman and his associates/GCPD.
Old 06-26-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

There were people in the diner at the beginning... then the shit hit the fan..
Old 06-26-15, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Right, but like slop says it seems like some of the side missions don't have markers. For instance the firefighter rescues or the different murders - they seem to rely on you just hunting around for them and/or listening for the surveillance chatter.
City was like that too with the political prisoners and Hush murders that were never marked on the map.

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah I know that but even so. The games always have some reason the city is abandoned. Even in a big city with high crime rates late at night you would think some people would be out and about. Not a ton of people but I think it would be better than a city that's devoid of any people aside from criminals or Batman and his associates/GCPD.
Well Arkham City is a bit different because it wasn't just abandoned; that whole section of the city was turned into a prison similar to the Escape from New York movie. So it made logical sense why there were no citizens there.

Origins however was dumb. It was Christmas Eve and a bad snowstorm, but still there are going to be some dumbass citizens who are going to try to brave the weather. Bad weather doesn't stop the dumbasses.
Old 06-26-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Kind of neat up in Wayne Tower and listening to Bruce Wayne's answering machine.
Spoiler:
You hear messages from Vicki Vale, Lex Luthor, and Kate Kane
Old 06-26-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
But I still don't know where to put a waypoint. I can scroll around the map for a general idea, but at least that should be marked for each active mission, especially since, unlike me, Batman's supposed to know his way around his city.
Old 06-26-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

fuck the last riddler driving challenge. fuck it long, fuck it hard and fuck it often. grrrrrrrrr
Old 06-26-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But I still don't know where to put a waypoint. I can scroll around the map for a general idea, but at least that should be marked for each active mission, especially since, unlike me, Batman's supposed to know his way around his city.
I wanted to do another Azreal mission, but I couldn't find where to go next. I just assumed things would be added to the map, but no go.
Old 06-26-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

That's kind of the point. When you're patrolling the city you'll hear chatter from criminals that'll lead you to the location of some of the side quests. It's not supposed to be click on the waypoint and go on all of them.
Old 06-26-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

I wanted to do another Azreal mission, but I couldn't find where to go next. I just assumed things would be added to the map, but no go.
no. there are certain things that are only triggered when you are in a certain area and/or progressed past a certain part of the main quest.
Old 06-26-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

also, fuck the armored and dangerous missions. these guys are driving armored APCs that are faster and maneuver better than the batmobile. i've lost them numerous times.
Old 06-26-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Questyen
That's kind of the point. When you're patrolling the city you'll hear chatter from criminals that'll lead you to the location of some of the side quests. It's not supposed to be click on the waypoint and go on all of them.
Even if it is the point, it can still be a little annoying when you can't find that next thing you want to do. But only mildly so.
Old 06-26-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Even if it is the point, it can still be a little annoying when you can't find that next thing you want to do. But only mildly so.
i had this similar complaint early on, but keep doing the main mission. everything continues to open up the more you do the main mission.
Old 06-26-15, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And to be fair things probably work better if you tackle things as they arise. I've heard chirps on the radio about a body on the rooftop, or a fire...but I wasn't on that at the time. I was doing something else.
Old 06-26-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk God

And to be fair things probably work better if you tackle things as they arise. I've heard chirps on the radio about a body on the rooftop, or a fire...but I wasn't on that at the time. I was doing something else.
yeah, if you do end up getting intel on something, you can stop and go chase those. some are easy. like if you hear opera music getting loud, that means there's a body nearby for a sidequest.
Old 06-26-15, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know Batman = Awesome is usually the way that character is portrayed, but I love how Rocksteady makes Bats a total dickbag asshole in these games. There is nothing likeable about this Batman at all.

I'm in a tank battle right now that is giving me flashbacks to the awful Deathstroke fight from Origins. If I could just skip this I would, because I hate hitting my head against a wall trying to take out something that I just can't figure out. The worst thing is usually when this happens I'm doing something wrong, but this time I'm doing what I'm supposed to do, it's just hard as shit (at least for me).
The Deathstroke fight? That was awesome.
Old 06-26-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
The Deathstroke fight? That was awesome.
There was a timing issue I just didn't grasp with that. I posted on this forum asking how people did it, and I watched youtube videos explaining how to beat him, and it still took me a dozen tries to do it (if not more). And then there are people that said the fight was easy as pie. I can only speak from my experience, but I hated that fight with all of my being.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.