Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

A few hours in and I don't have any major issues with the Batmobile stuff, but I have to say it's fairly uninteresting when it comes to battles. For a game that made hand to hand combat more interesting, I'm kind of disappointed that the tank sequences are so plain and boring. The puzzle solving and having to use the remote Batmobile is more interesting.
Old 06-25-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Played for another hour or so last night and the Batmobile is growing on me. I'm still now blown away by the game, but admittedly had set the bar pretty high based on Asylum and City. It's definitely fun though. And I'm surprised I haven't happened across any Riddler trophies yet. Seems like those were popping up fairly obviously and early on in past games.

I tried that, but it wouldn't work at all until I got to the mission that told how to do it. I did the exact same thing then and it worked fine. I'm guessing the game actually requires you to get to that point to unlock the challenge vs just doing the dive.
There was a Riddler trophy in plain site at the police station.
Old 06-25-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
There was a Riddler trophy in plain site at the police station.
Weird, I went through every room when there and didn't see one. I'll have to go back for another look.
Old 06-25-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Crazy that they would actually pull it, but stupid that they released it in this state. Should have just been like GTA and delayed it.
Apparently Steam keeps their cut if the game is refunded, so WB was actually losing money.
Old 06-25-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
Apparently Steam keeps their cut if the game is refunded, so WB was actually losing money.
WB isn't losing money at all, it's digital there is no actual physical product for which money is lost. Steam makes out, even though they refund the set price to the player, it's in Steam credit so they get to keep their profits even if the player doesn't spend the credits. WB made $42 per game, Steam made about $18 per game. Steam gets to keep that $18, WB returns the $42 (though realistically I don't know how quickly steam pays out), the purchaser gets $60 in store credit.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-25-15 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-25-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Weird, I went through every room when there and didn't see one. I'll have to go back for another look.
It was by a desk (I know that helps, right?) and encased in glass like one of those that holds fire extinguishers.
Old 06-25-15, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

It was by a desk (I know that helps, right?) and encased in glass like one of those that holds fire extinguishers.
It's in the evidence room (it's the only one I've gotten so far)
Old 06-25-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I missed that GCPD one too then
Old 06-25-15, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's the only one I have so far.
Old 06-25-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Played for another hour or so last night and the Batmobile is growing on me. I'm still now blown away by the game, but admittedly had set the bar pretty high based on Asylum and City. It's definitely fun though. And I'm surprised I haven't happened across any Riddler trophies yet. Seems like those were popping up fairly obviously and early on in past games.
I'm so glad they've pulled back on those things. As a person that doesn't go for the Riddler stuff (I just watch the youtube vids of his content), I found the Riddler stuff in City to be massive screen pollution. Looking out over the city, you would see neon green everywhere. So glad that isn't the case in this game. I've only happened across maybe 10 to 15 Riddler things (puzzle rooms and trophies) so far. That stuff is really off of the beaten path now.

Man, as a person who enjoys the tank stuff well enough, Rocksteady really went overboard with these missions later in the game. It's not the amount of missions you have to do, so much as it's the amount of enemies you have to fight in said missions.
Old 06-25-15, 10:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like how the frequency of the Riddler stuff for the most part. I've found several trophies, some without even trying.

I'm a few hours in now and I'm loving it. I've tried to do as many side missions as possible, first for the upgrade points and second because I know the main story isn't super long.
Old 06-26-15, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I treated myself to this after a really shitty day. It looks great on PS4 and is just as much fun as the previous games. I just hope that the upgraded Batmobile becomes a bit easier to drive. I started the game after dealing with a death in the family. I was mentally and physically drained so maybe I just found it hard to drive because I was exhausted.
Old 06-26-15, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I'm so glad they've pulled back on those things. As a person that doesn't go for the Riddler stuff (I just watch the youtube vids of his content), I found the Riddler stuff in City to be massive screen pollution. Looking out over the city, you would see neon green everywhere. So glad that isn't the case in this game. I've only happened across maybe 10 to 15 Riddler things (puzzle rooms and trophies) so far. That stuff is really off of the beaten path now.

Man, as a person who enjoys the tank stuff well enough, Rocksteady really went overboard with these missions later in the game. It's not the amount of missions you have to do, so much as it's the amount of enemies you have to fight in said missions.
Hahaha. The Riddler stuff was great in City. Maybe a bit too many of them but they were good. Origins didn't even try to be clever w/ them. Such a weak game.
Old 06-26-15, 12:43 AM
Banned

City went way overboard with the Riddler trophies. Asylum had just the right amount. Asylum had 100 trophies and City had a bit over 400. City however was certainly not 4 times as big as Asylum. City was deceptive in its size because while the exterior environment was very large, the interior environments were very small. Asylum was the reverse with a small exterior and large interior environments. City was a little bigger, but not really by that much.

Does anyone else think Jim Gordon looks a lot younger in Knight than in Asylum and City? In Asylum and City he looked like he was in his 60s. In Knight he looks 50.

Pictures of Gordon in Asylum and Knight for comparison:

Spoiler tag for size.
Spoiler:

Old 06-26-15, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Holy shit balls, the Riddler race challenge stuff is fucking bullshit. I don't think I've ever wanted to throw my controller so much in my life.

I'm not liking this game at all.
Old 06-26-15, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Hahaha. The Riddler stuff was great in City. Maybe a bit too many of them but they were good. Origins didn't even try to be clever w/ them. Such a weak game.
Just to be clear, while I didn't do the Riddler stuff because I'm not a fan of that type of collect-a-thon stuff (even when done well), I didn't mind that they existed. Only that they made the game ugly. At least in City it made sense for them to be all over the place since it was essentially a giant Prison.

And I know Origins gets a lot of hate, but I actually really liked that game. I actually like it better than City. For what I come to these games for, Origins definitely gave me what I wanted.
Old 06-26-15, 09:22 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

I'm a couple hours in. Got to the spoiler mentioned in earlier posts. I LOVE that bit, and how it's being handled.
But... I'm not loving the game itself. Is there something about the combat that I'm just missing? Seems like all I have to do is button-mash X, Triangle, and/or Square, and I rarely get hit. Batman flies back and forth between enemies (which... come on... looks really silly...), but I don't feel like there's any/much "skill" involved. Is that how it's supposed to be? Obviously "boss" fights will be different, and the only one I've gotten to thus far was using the tank to try to shoot down the drone.
Old 06-26-15, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I played quite a bit yesterday but I'm only 17% complete. I've been doing some story stuff but was mostly trying to do the side quests so I don't finish the game right away. I haven't found many Riddler trophies or solved many riddles, but have been doing his story where you
Spoiler:
solve the puzzles to save Catwoman and am finding that pretty enjoyable thus far. I'm to a point where I can't do any more now though because I need to lower the bridges to unlock the other islands.

Spoiler:
I like how The Joker is being incorporated as well. Kind of fucked up in some respects with some of the stuff he says, but I think the character was handled properly. The death must be permanent in this universe unless there's some twist coming I haven't gotten to yet.

I have to say I don't really understand the complaints with the Batmobile. Its pretty easy to maneuver for me and isn't a lot more difficult than vehicles from other games. I especially think they did a good job incorporating it in a game series where vehicles weren't previously prevalent and are more of an add on. The only complaint about it I do have is it seems some of the missions over rely on it.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-26-15 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-26-15, 10:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm a couple hours in. Got to the spoiler mentioned in earlier posts. I LOVE that bit, and how it's being handled.
But... I'm not loving the game itself. Is there something about the combat that I'm just missing? Seems like all I have to do is button-mash X, Triangle, and/or Square, and I rarely get hit. Batman flies back and forth between enemies (which... come on... looks really silly...), but I don't feel like there's any/much "skill" involved. Is that how it's supposed to be? Obviously "boss" fights will be different, and the only one I've gotten to thus far was using the tank to try to shoot down the drone.
Have you never played an Arkham game before? They all have the same combat.

Personally, I love the combat in these games. I also like how Shadow of Mordor used the exact same combat. The only thing that would have made Witcher 3 better is if it also would have used this combat.

If you think it doesn't require any skill, then try playing some combat challenges and getting all three medals. That most definitely requires skill. To get the highest score you have to pretty much keep a perfect freeflow going to get a very high combo. Getting a 100x combo requires skill. You call the combat "button-mashing" which makes me think you aren't exactly doing the freeflow combos right. You definitely can't button-mash the game and get the high scores. Also playing on a hard difficulty removes the indicator when an enemy is about to attack, so countering becomes much more difficult since you have to pay more attention.
Old 06-26-15, 10:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

I have played them, but I kind of forgot how the combat felt. It's been YEARS.

I'm not saying I hate it, and I wasn't expecting it to be on the other side of the spectrum (Bloodborne), but... somewhere in the middle. It just feels chaotic but with no balance. I took out 20 guys in one spot by pressing two buttons for the most part. Maybe I SHOULD switch it to hard.
Old 06-26-15, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Holy shit balls, the Riddler race challenge stuff is fucking bullshit. I don't think I've ever wanted to throw my controller so much in my life.

I'm not liking this game at all.
I heard a lot of complaints from another board on how players are pretty pissed on not going to get 100% on getting all the Riddler challenge. I suck on driving game and not going to bother trying to do this bullshit challenge.
Old 06-26-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I only play this for a couple of hours but I alway ending stopping and just play Destiny which I can't stop playing. Maybe I play it more in the weekend but I'm not really impressed. Driving the batmobile is pure crap. I drive like a old lady beacause I alway keep hitting the wall and going the wrong way.
Old 06-26-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have been playing for a couple of hours. So far I'm having a lot of fun again. Really liked the intro of the game and thought that it was an interesting way to start. Game looks absolutely gorgeous on PS4. The Batmobile isn't bother me at all and I don't get the complaints that it's hard to handle. L2 not being the brake also took some getting used to for me. Don't get the complaint that this is "just the same old Batman game." The first two are classics so that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-26-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I'm having a tough time figuring out where to go, what to do for a lot of the missions - there's no map marker saying where things are, and it doesn't seem like Batman has a "sense" to figure things out. Seems like just the main missions are map-marked.
Old 06-26-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Of all the in-car activities, the Riddler races are actually my favorite. Any of the timed or combat challenges out in the city -- no thank you.

My main issues with the Batmobile at this point don't involve how it handles, but it's the fact that I'm spending so much time in it. So far, the balance between tank/chase/scanning and on foot activities has been way off. And that may just be due to the way I'm playing, being so focused on side missions and collectibles. I need to focus on story stuff and see if that takes me into more stealth and hand to hand stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.