Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 01:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by Rob V
Yep, same for me. Can't even get past the stupid training sim!
how do i get to training sim?
Old 06-29-15, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SPOILERS REGARDING ARKHAM KNIGHT'S IDENTITY:

Spoiler:
I was just thinking about this some more, and the more I think about it the more it seems like sloppy story writing.

Joker sends Batman a video of him killing Jason. Yet Batman never bothers to confirm that Jason actually is dead. Batman never finds a body. He just takes Joker at his word that Jason is dead? Doesn't Batman know how easy it is to fake a video?

That seems very unlike Batman. Batman should definitely want to confirm it, and not just take Joker at his word. No body = no death... That's pretty basic.

In the comics, Jason truly did die and Batman recovered his body. That comic page of Batman holding Jason's lifeless body is an iconic image in comic lore.

Yet I don't think that actually happened in the Arkhamverse. It seems like Batman never recovered a body and just took Joker at his word.

Personally, I am kind of disappointed in the Arkham Knight story. The above just seems really out of character for Batman, and the whole Jason being pissed and wanting revenge thing is taken straight out of the comics. It's not original or unique at all, and Rocksteady lied about it being an original story.

Arkham City had a much better twist with the Clayface reveal. This game's twist just falls flat because it was so predictable that everyone saw it coming as soon as the game was announced and then Rocksteady blatantly lied about it to keep everyone guessing.

Also speaking of Rocksteady not writing an original story:

True ending spoilers for 100% completion:
Spoiler:
The true ending of the game is just a combination of the Knightfall comic story and the Dark Knight Rises movie.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 06-29-15 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just tossing this out there, but it helps if you upgrade the Batmobile first before upgrading some of your gadgets and Batman himself.
Old 06-29-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Most of the tank battles have been pretty easy for me. Just sit in battle mode and use the side swipe to easily move out of the way of the lines, and fire the vulcan gun to shoot the locked on missiles. And aim for the turrets at the top of each of the opposing vehicles to one shot them.
I didn't even know there was a side swipe move... It works awesome and I no longer feel like the world's shittiest gamer. Thanks for the advice!!
Old 06-29-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
how do i get to training sim?
Right after you take in Poison Ivy
Old 06-29-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't even know there was a side swipe move... It works awesome and I no longer feel like the world's shittiest gamer. Thanks for the advice!!
Awesome, yeah with out that I can't imagine maneuvering around to avoid the missiles.
Old 06-29-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't feel bad. My cousin played Resident Evil 4, getting well into the game, before he realized he could run. I have no idea how he got as far as he did, save for having a lot of time on his hands and no money to buy other games (this was when he was in high school).
Old 06-29-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

fuck the driving fuck the driving fuck the driving. that basically made a thoroughly enjoyable game barely good. i hated it so much.
Old 06-29-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
fuck the driving fuck the driving fuck the driving. that basically made a thoroughly enjoyable game barely good. i hated it so much.
Agreed, and I wonder why none of the reviews really mentioned much about how much there was of it and how it wasn't so much fun.
Old 06-29-15, 05:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seriously, change the controls on the Batmobile as soon as you can (which isn't long after you first use the Batmobile). It makes it so that L2 is reverse/brake, and you can just tap R1 to permanently go into tank mode (until you tap R1 again). Makes the game so much better to play.
Old 06-29-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Seriously, change the controls on the Batmobile as soon as you can (which isn't long after you first use the Batmobile). It makes it so that L2 is reverse/brake, and you can just tap R1 to permanently go into tank mode (until you tap R1 again). Makes the game so much better to play.
I did that* long before people kept bringing it up as some magic cure. Doesn't matter, even with that, the driving is still shit - especially the vehicular platforming, which includes the Batmobile as well as the tank.

*(something that also infuriates me, that option to toggle with R1 instead of holding it down L2, keeps reverting to hold each time I pop the game in - for whatever reason, that option doesn't save, and I have to change it each time I play the game)
Old 06-29-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

the biggest reason the driving is shit is because the backend of the batmobile slides all around. once you lose traction on the back end, it's fucking hard to get the thing righted. so when you are chasing or being chased, one slip up and you are toast.
Old 06-29-15, 08:08 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by slop101
I did that* long before people kept bringing it up as some magic cure. Doesn't matter, even with that, the driving is still shit - especially the vehicular platforming, which includes the Batmobile as well as the tank.

*(something that also infuriates me, that option to toggle with R1 instead of holding it down L2, keeps reverting to hold each time I pop the game in - for whatever reason, that option doesn't save, and I have to change it each time I play the game)
I was talking more to the people who could barely control the Batmobile at all. I figured you'd have gotten the settings switched by now.
Old 06-29-15, 10:06 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel like I am alone with this game. I love it. The driving is tolerable, but I have never been a racing fan..but the tank combat is fun as hell...

The game itself has been a blast. Combat, gadgets all of that is amazing. Story is getting on my nerves though...

I mean, Batman is suppose to be one of the most intelligent people in the DC world. The worlds greatest detective. Yet, he is constantly outsmarted in every situation. What really pisses me off is you have a game about (this is a minor spoiler that you will know about almost immediately, and should know if you watched any trailers for it)
Spoiler:
a toxin that is inhaled and causes you to go insane
and yet with all of his smarts, and his teams smarts at no point he thinks it is a good idea to make a
Spoiler:
breathing mask
...mid game you even walk right up to the main villain and
Spoiler:
tada!!!!! you are hit in the face and overwhelmed by the spray

Batman you need to hack that comupter? Here is a great amazing gadget that is ahead of its time that lets you do it..

Batman, you need to disable those weapons? Here is a device that will make even a gun not work after you hit it from 50 yards with this gadget.

Need to take out tanks? Here is an amazing EMP explosion that destroys military grade weapons with one push..

Batman
Spoiler:
someone want to spray you with mace? You are on your fucking own dude..WAY outside our expertise..

I just continue to get upset with these games and even the movies/comics showing Batman to be an idiot...These games though take it to a new level...
Old 06-29-15, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I finished this yesterday. And by finished, I don't mean I completed it, I just decided it's time to be done. And it was the Batmobile, specifically the tank combat, that just pushed me over my threshold.

I made it to the part where
Spoiler:
the drones are attacking GCPD and you have to go out and fight them with Oracle's help
. By this time, you've already spent SO LONG in that car, and my patience with the tank combat was fucking wafer thin. After multiple attempts to complete this section, I'd had enough. Off to youtube I went to watch how the rest of the game played out, and I don't regret it at all.

I did complete the majority of the side story objectives - Penguin, Two Face, etc. Only left a couple incomplete, so I definitely got my money's worth. Should be able to sell this week and make back what I paid for the game.

It would've been cool if the AK turned out to be someone else I'm not disappointed with the identity, I guess, but as just a casual fan of any and all Batman mythology, it was a big fat 'meh' for me. At a certain point in the game it becomes pretty obvious who it is.

Not really a spoiler, but just in case:

Spoiler:
I was beyond tickled to not only see the Joker in the game, but having him voiced by Mark Hamill again was rad. The Arkham interpretations of this character have always been my favorite.
Old 06-29-15, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I just continue to get upset with these games and even the movies/comics showing Batman to be an idiot...These games though take it to a new level...
Agreed, but those cliches/tropes happen so often, that by now they're kinda funny.

They also pull one in this game that I hate the most; when the protagonist has the antagonist defeated, down on the ground, and then takes a call on the phone (or in Batman's case, his wrist-screen), and then turns his fucking back to the guy on the ground, naturally letting the guy on the ground get away. Who fucking does that? Seriously. Say you were lucky enough to incapacitate a home-invader - would you turn your back to him while on the phone with the police? Of course not, but it happens all the time in movies/TV. I can only laugh at them now.
Old 06-30-15, 12:07 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I'm 50% through the main quest now. I'm really enjoying it but whoever voices Batman is terrible. Everyone else is fine. I love
Spoiler:
John Noble

as Scarecrow.
Old 06-30-15, 01:34 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I feel like I am alone with this game. I love it. The driving is tolerable, but I have never been a racing fan..but the tank combat is fun as hell...

The game itself has been a blast. Combat, gadgets all of that is amazing. Story is getting on my nerves though...

I mean, Batman is suppose to be one of the most intelligent people in the DC world. The worlds greatest detective. Yet, he is constantly outsmarted in every situation. What really pisses me off is you have a game about (this is a minor spoiler that you will know about almost immediately, and should know if you watched any trailers for it)
Spoiler:
a toxin that is inhaled and causes you to go insane
and yet with all of his smarts, and his teams smarts at no point he thinks it is a good idea to make a
Spoiler:
breathing mask
...mid game you even walk right up to the main villain and
Spoiler:
tada!!!!! you are hit in the face and overwhelmed by the spray

Batman you need to hack that comupter? Here is a great amazing gadget that is ahead of its time that lets you do it..

Batman, you need to disable those weapons? Here is a device that will make even a gun not work after you hit it from 50 yards with this gadget.

Need to take out tanks? Here is an amazing EMP explosion that destroys military grade weapons with one push..

Batman
Spoiler:
someone want to spray you with mace? You are on your fucking own dude..WAY outside our expertise..

I'm also still loving the game, even the Batmobile.

As for the toxin, they go to great lengths throughout the game to point out that it absorbs through the skin, so a gas mask wouldn't help.
Old 06-30-15, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had my PS4 crash/freeze 3 damn times now, and once was during the last lap of a Riddler race.
Old 06-30-15, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm 50% through the main quest now. I'm really enjoying it but whoever voices Batman is terrible. Everyone else is fine. I love
Spoiler:
John Noble

as Scarecrow.
You're funny. It's Kevin Conroy who since taking the role in the original Animated Series is considered the quintessential Batman.
Old 06-30-15, 06:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Really? I just don't like his voice, I guess.
Old 06-30-15, 06:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lopper
I finished this yesterday. And by finished, I don't mean I completed it, I just decided it's time to be done. And it was the Batmobile, specifically the tank combat, that just pushed me over my threshold.

I made it to the part where
Spoiler:
the drones are attacking GCPD and you have to go out and fight them with Oracle's help
Seriously? Dude, you are like 90% through the main quest. If you made it that far, keep going. There's no more than an hour left to the ending. I believe the part you are at is the very last drone battle as well.

Seriously, giving up now is like watching 2 hours and 50 minutes of a 3 hour movie and then quitting right before the ending.
Old 06-30-15, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Really? I just don't like his voice, I guess.
Holy shit. You're a rare one.

Conroy is so fucking awesome as Bats. Even without TAS to back him, he's still fucking great as both Wayne and Bats. There is a lot of detail to how he does it. He's able to balance who Wayne and Bats are very well. Granted.. he's done it for over 20 years now.
Old 06-30-15, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk God

I love Kevin Conroy to death, but I sort of agree with Dan here. His performance is sort of wooden this go around. Like he is just reading the lines. I don't notice it always, but several times I've thought to myself that he just didn't seem too into the part.
Old 06-30-15, 08:48 AM
Banned

I felt like Tara Strong was just phoning in the Harley Quinn voice too. Something about it just felt off. I thought she did a great job in Arkham City, so much so that I thought she was indistinguishable from Arleen Sorkin at times.

I am really really hoping that Margot Robbie does the voice justice. I love the way Sorkin did the voice; to me she will always be the definitive Harley Quinn.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.