Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Old 06-28-15, 06:12 PM
  #551  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I was right about AK. And I dug it.
It was very obvious who Arkham Knight really was right from the beginning if you know the comic lore. I didn't mind who it was, but what aggravated me was how Rocksteady blatantly lied about it.

Arkham Knight identity spoilers:

Spoiler:
When Rocksteady first showed off the new game to the public, many fans guessed Arkham Knight was going to be Jason Todd right away. Then in an attempt to throw people off, Rocksteady said that Arkham Knight is an entirely new character that they created just for this game. Well, it turns out that Rocksteady lied through their ass. Jason Todd isn't a new character at all, and Arkham Knight is just a reskin of Red Hood. I don't mind that Rocksteady wanted to throw people off and keep them guessing, but to blatantly lie about it is just wrong.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 06-28-15 at 11:28 PM.
kgrogers1979 is offline  
Old 06-28-15, 09:02 PM
  #552  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

I find if you do mostly the main mission, it's a lot of Batmobile stuff in a row. But if you intersperse it with side missions, it's a nice balance.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 06-28-15, 11:13 PM
  #553  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,284
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
It was very obvious who Arkham Knight really was right from the beginning if you know the comic lore. I didn't mind who it was, but what aggravated me was how Rocksteady blatantly lied about it.

Spoiler:
When Rocksteady first showed off the new game to the public, many fans guessed Arkham Knight was going to be Jason Todd right away. Then in an attempt to throw people off, Rocksteady said that Arkham Knight is an entirely new character that they created just for this game. Well, it turns out that Rocksteady lied through their ass. Jason Todd isn't a new character at all, and Arkham Knight is just a reskin of Red Hood. I don't mind that Rocksteady wanted to through people off and keep them guessing, but to blatantly lie about it is just wrong.
Spoiler:
Shit. I shouldn't have clicked that spoiler but the identity of Arkham Knight seemed obvious to me for a while. I was thrown off by Rocksteady saying it was a new character, but I couldn't figure out who else would know as much about Batman and would be out for revenge.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 06-28-15, 11:15 PM
  #554  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,654
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

I really enjoy this game when I'm not in a vehicle, and I know where to go and what to do. Otherwise, it's kinda lame. Unfortunately, those parts I enjoy seem to amount to about a third of the game. So 1/3 of the game is great 2/3 of it is lame.
slop101 is online now  
Old 06-28-15, 11:27 PM
  #555  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Spoiler:
Shit. I shouldn't have clicked that spoiler but the identity of Arkham Knight seemed obvious to me for a while. I was thrown off by Rocksteady saying it was a new character, but I couldn't figure out who else would know as much about Batman and would be out for revenge.
Sorry, I thought my post was clear that the spoiler was regarding Arkham Knight's identity, but maybe not. I will edit it to make it more clear.
kgrogers1979 is offline  
Old 06-28-15, 11:36 PM
  #556  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,284
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
Sorry, I thought my post was clear that the spoiler was regarding Arkham Knight's identity, but maybe not. I will edit it to make it more clear.
No it's my fault. I wasn't paying attention and just clicked the tag by accident. Like I said though that's who I figured it was.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 01:15 AM
  #557  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

62% complete so far, I'm really enjoying it. I've finished a lot of the side missions, which i'm going to try and complete except for the Riddler stuff which I never cared enough to spend a lot of time on. I do think there's too many Batmobile sequences which aren't particularly fun, but like Supermallet mentioned it's easy to break it up and do other things. I think story wise this is my favorite by far at this point.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 08:25 AM
  #558  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,642
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Was thinking while playing at some point last night that I thought there was too much time in the Batmobile, but then I found myself chasing those damn APC's for 40 minutes without complaint, so what do I know.

Really enjoying the game thus far, though.
The Dude is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 09:01 AM
  #559  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,731
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post

Arkham Knight identity spoilers:

Spoiler:
When Rocksteady first showed off the new game to the public, many fans guessed Arkham Knight was going to be Jason Todd right away. Then in an attempt to throw people off, Rocksteady said that Arkham Knight is an entirely new character that they created just for this game. Well, it turns out that Rocksteady lied through their ass. Jason Todd isn't a new character at all, and Arkham Knight is just a reskin of Red Hood. I don't mind that Rocksteady wanted to throw people off and keep them guessing, but to blatantly lie about it is just wrong.

Spoiler:
This is why I was convinced it wasn't Jason Todd. If Rocksteady never said this was a new character, I would have just assumed the Arkham Knight was Todd, and kept it moving. So while I'm playing the game, and having everything point in the direction of Todd, I kept telling myself that it was someone else. I felt pretty silly. I honestly don't think the game needed that element of AK's identity being a mystery. Especially since it wasn't one. If in the press leading up to the game they said Arkham Knight was their take on the Red Hood storyline, I don't think I would have been any less excited for the game. It is what it is, but I agree that they played dirty pool here.


As to playing the other characters, I agree that I wish that was flushed out a bit more. I wasn't too impressed playing as Nightwing or Robin, but I loved playing as Catwoman and
Spoiler:
Azreal
. Hell, for my money Catwoman is the most fun to control (in large scale battles anyway) in this series. I loved playing as her in City.
boredsilly is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 09:06 AM
  #560  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,731
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Spoiler:
Yeah. I really like the way that The Joker was incorporated into this game. He has some pretty twisted things to say.
Spoiler:
I adore the way Joker was always the devil on your shoulder. I saw one reviewer say he was annoying, which I couldn't disagree more with.
boredsilly is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 09:27 AM
  #561  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,396
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

FUCK the Batmobile and trying to shoot tanks before they shoot me. This game is getting no more of my time.
Rob V is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 09:35 AM
  #562  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,284
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
FUCK the Batmobile and trying to shoot tanks before they shoot me. This game is getting no more of my time.
I had trouble figuring out how to avoid them at first during the training session but eventually got the hang of it.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 09:54 AM
  #563  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Most of the tank battles have been pretty easy for me. Just sit in battle mode and use the side swipe to easily move out of the way of the lines, and fire the vulcan gun to shoot the locked on missiles. And aim for the turrets at the top of each of the opposing vehicles to one shot them.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 10:06 AM
  #564  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,284
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

The riddles in this game seem tricky to me. I've only figured out one of them so far but I haven't really been seeking them out too much. Mostly just when one appears on screen when I enter a room.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 10:13 AM
  #565  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,654
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
FUCK the Batmobile and trying to shoot tanks before they shoot me. This game is getting no more of my time.
Not to mention the platforming using the Batmobile/tank. Who's fucking idea was that?

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Most of the tank battles have been pretty easy for me.
My issue with them isn't that they're difficult, it's that they're tedious and dull. I can't believe people gave this shit a pass.
slop101 is online now  
Old 06-29-15, 10:35 AM
  #566  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Yeah, the drone fights with the Batmobile are cool at first, but there are just way too many of them and they get tedious and dull by the end of the game.

That reminds me of how they overdid the Riddler trophies in Arkham City and it got tedious and dull collecting them all...

Spoilers regarding a sidequest near the end of the game:

Spoiler:
Arkham City had a cool sidequest involving Hush that ended on a cliffhanger. I felt like it was setting up an even bigger and cooler sidequest for the next game. Well, I was partially right. The Hush sidequest in Arkham Knight is really disappointing. It takes like 2 minutes to complete start to finish. What started with a bang in Arkham City ended with a whimper in Arkham Knight.
kgrogers1979 is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 11:24 AM
  #567  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
My issue with them isn't that they're difficult, it's that they're tedious and dull. I can't believe people gave this shit a pass.
Right, which I agreed with earlier. I'm just surprised Rob V is having issues with the difficulty.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 12:24 PM
  #568  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,433
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

i can't even get past the first tanks attack. is there a trick to battling these guys?

is the dodge thruster, the only useful move for these fights?
OldBoy is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 12:33 PM
  #569  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
i can't even get past the first tanks attack. is there a trick to battling these guys?

is the dodge thruster, the only useful move for these fights?
Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge. If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a tank!
kgrogers1979 is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 12:37 PM
  #570  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,433
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
Dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge. If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a tank!
ok thanks. i wouldn't say i dodged traffic in the very first chase mission, more like i ran everything over in my path and some how caught up to the vehicle. if that is the first of many, i may have to shelve this...
OldBoy is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 12:37 PM
  #571  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

I don't recall the first attack, but all I do for the battles is stay in battle mode holding the left trigger (i never bothered changing the controls, but got used to it), use the little side swipe moves with the A button to dodge when the lines are pointed at you before they turn red, and fire while aiming at the turrets of the tanks attacking you.

Driving takes some getting used to, but there's plenty of city to drive around and practice on. I felt it was pretty easy compared to driving in other open world games honestly.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 12:44 PM
  #572  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
ok thanks. i wouldn't say i dodged traffic in the very first chase mission, more like i ran everything over in my path and some how caught up to the vehicle. if that is the first of many, i may have to shelve this...
I don't think you got the reference. I was quoting the movie Dodgeball.

Are you talking about the drone tank battles or the sidequest where you chase the APCs? Your first post sounded like the former, but now this post sounds like the latter.


Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I don't recall the first attack, but all I do for the battles is stay in battle mode holding the left trigger (i never bothered changing the controls, but got used to it), use the little side swipe moves with the A button to dodge when the lines are pointed at you before they turn red, and fire while aiming at the turrets of the tanks attacking you.

Driving takes some getting used to, but there's plenty of city to drive around and practice on. I felt it was pretty easy compared to driving in other open world games honestly.
Yeah, I typically hate driving in games too, but I felt it was significantly easier in this game than in most games. The battle mode does help because it gives you more precise control.
kgrogers1979 is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 12:46 PM
  #573  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,433
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
I don't think you got the reference. I was quoting the movie Dodgeball.

Are you talking about the drone tank battles or the sidequest where you chase the APCs? Your first post sounded like the former, but now this post sounds like the latter.
drone tank battle. literally the mission after you first get the Batmobile i believe. i think they are called drones...
OldBoy is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 01:27 PM
  #574  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,396
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Right, which I agreed with earlier. I'm just surprised Rob V is having issues with the difficulty.
I'm bad at gaming lol.
Rob V is offline  
Old 06-29-15, 01:29 PM
  #575  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,396
Re: Batman: Arkham Knight - 6/23/15 on Xbox One, PS4, and PC

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
drone tank battle. literally the mission after you first get the Batmobile i believe. i think they are called drones...
Yep, same for me. Can't even get past the stupid training sim!
Rob V is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.