Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

[Kickstarter] OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
[Kickstarter] OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/widget/video.html" frameborder="0"> </iframe><iframe frameborder="0" height="380" src="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/widget/card.html" width="220"></iframe>
It's already got over $2 million in backing of its $950,000 goal.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-11-12 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-11-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: [Kickstarter] OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

2.8 million now. $99 of that is mine.
Old 07-11-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Let’s make the games less expensive to make, and less expensive to buy. With all our technological advancements, shouldn't costs be going down? Gaming could be cheaper!
Helluva mission statement and goal.
Old 07-11-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

This is already being discussed in the Ultimate Kickstarter Video Games Thread.
Old 07-11-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So everyone is getting excited for this, in layman terms, what entertainment/functionality applications will this bring to the average household?

Thanks
Old 07-11-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From everything I'm hearing the 99 bucks will be the retail price on this anyways, you just get it early by doing the kickstarter, and it's not coming until march of next year, so 9 months from now. I would rather wait until it's release and pay the same price then so that I can see some reviews first.

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
So everyone is getting excited for this, in layman terms, what entertainment/functionality applications will this bring to the average household?

Thanks
It all depends. In theory it can run anything that your android phone can run. Which means any streaming service (netflix, flixster for Uv digital copies, Slacker for music streaming along with Spotify). However they are going to have a proprietary store on there, so you won't be able to get the app unless the maker of the app makes it and submits it specifically for this device. I think that closed off store is going to be the biggest hurdle for it as I'm not sure yet how many of the already published developers on Google Play will want to go to the trouble to port it.
Old 07-11-12, 11:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

As I stated in the other thread, I am instantly reminded of "The Phantom" video game console.
Old 07-11-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are they going to make a profit?

I'm a fan of Kickstarter, but stuff like this, where they probably weren't able to secure funding in a more traditional way, gives me pause for the long-term viability of this thing.
Old 07-11-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

I'm a fan of Kickstarter, but stuff like this, where they probably weren't able to secure funding in a more traditional way, gives me pause for the long-term viability of this thing.
They are going to profit through their proprietary store. They take 30% off the top of all purchases from the developers made on their store.
Old 07-11-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What would make their store special? If there is a demand for this sort of thing, it seems like Roku/Google/Amazon or someone else would just copy it and tie it into an existing network.
Old 07-11-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by glassdragon
They are going to profit through their proprietary store. They take 30% off the top of all purchases from the developers made on their store.
That's a pretty dicey proposition.
Old 07-11-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
$99 is their retail price, so the profit per-device is already built in. People are essentially preordering far in advance.

They will also make 30% on app sales from their store, but they're not selling the console at a loss.
Old 07-11-12, 12:23 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got in at the 95 price...I figured what the hell
Old 07-11-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just crossed $3 million.
Old 07-11-12, 12:30 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Just crossed $3 million.
I sure hope that money is not spent on trips and lavish meals...and we end up with nothing...
Old 07-11-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If 99 is going to be the retail, then there is really no point in risking the 99$ right now
Old 07-11-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a great idea in theory.

I'm not donating money nor purchasing an Ouya in the future when released. I want console gaming to move forward and compete with what a PC can do, I don't want it to move backwards with the hardware of an Android tablet.

As others have mentioned, what won't stop Amazon, Apple, Google, Roku and Vizio (amongst others) from taking this concept and incorporating this into existing devices? Hell, the other companies could possibly make it better as they have more resources available to them.

If I really wanted to play games like Minecraft, Canabalt, and Triple Town on my 1080p set, I already can with my existing devices (ahem, AppleTV, iPhone 4S and iPad 2, ahem). Why would I need another set top box to do that? I'd rather take that $99 and save it for the next PlayStation or Xbox.
Old 07-11-12, 01:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Bear in mind as well that any existing games would likely have to have code changes to work with a controller, as they are all designed with touchscreens in mind.
Old 07-11-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Bear in mind as well that any existing games would likely have to have code changes to work with a controller, as they are all designed with touchscreens in mind.
They mention in the video that the controller also doubles as a touchpad.
Old 07-11-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but that would be an awful way to play almost any current touchscreen game.
Old 07-11-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

I'm not donating money nor purchasing an Ouya in the future when released. I want console gaming to move forward and compete with what a PC can do, I don't want it to move backwards with the hardware of an Android tablet.

As others have mentioned, what won't stop Amazon, Apple, Google, Roku and Vizio (amongst others) from taking this concept and incorporating this into existing devices? Hell, the other companies could possibly make it better as they have more resources available to them.

If I really wanted to play games like Minecraft, Canabalt, and Triple Town on my 1080p set, I already can with my existing devices (ahem, AppleTV, iPhone 4S and iPad 2, ahem). Why would I need another set top box to do that? I'd rather take that $99 and save it for the next PlayStation or Xbox.
100% agree.

I don't understand the mindset of risking $99 for something the average consumer could get for $99 (or less) if it does indeed ever exist.
Old 07-11-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know what, I completely agree. I thought about this last night and I thought about contributing or waiting to buy one...but why? I love consoles and want them to push forward, not backward with tablet technology. If I want a tablet, I'll go buy a tablet and trust me...I will not be using it for gaming. So, a big no for me. I wish them well, but have no real interest in it.
Old 07-11-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I mean, it's not like the retail price will be like 200 bucks and you are getting it half price by paying for it 9 months in advance, then it might be a good idea to donate. But just getting it a little early for the exact same price as retail doesn't compel me to spend 100 now for something that won't be out until next year.
Old 07-11-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want to buy an overpriced cable/dongle to attach my touchscreen device to my TV, nor try to seek out some kind of controller that only 10% of the games I want to play will support. Plus those two items would be close to $99 anyway.

I have games I wish I could play with my iPad, but touchscreen gaming blows.

And I like the idea of having a hackbox that I can play around with and not feel guilty. I think if there's any kind of community behind this thing (and with the support it's gotten so far, there will be), there's the potential for some really neat stuff.
Old 07-11-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
100% agree.

I don't understand the mindset of risking $99 for something the average consumer could get for $99 (or less) if it does indeed ever exist.
If no one invests the $99 to begin with, no one else can buy one for $99 later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.