Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guild Wars 2

Old 06-09-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Guild Wars 2 - PC - 8/28/12

Was surprised a thread for this game hadn't already been started. I'm doing the beta event this weekend and played for about 6 hours yesterday doing World vs. World. If any of you played Dark Age of Camelot and loved doing RvR then you'll have a blast with WvW. That's the most fun I've had doing open world pvp in a long time. Here are a couple of screen shots I took:

Anyways, ArenaNet hasn't released any info on release date but one thing is for sure is that there will be NO monthly fee to play!

Last edited by Setzer; 08-16-12 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Title revision
Old 06-09-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Guild Wars 2

Played it for about an hour so far. Really nice blend of GW1, typical MMO's, and some new stuff.
Old 06-09-12, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn
Played it for about an hour so far. Really nice blend of GW1, typical MMO's, and some new stuff.
Don't know if you've had time to try the WvW or not but you can access it from pretty much anywhere in the game world and it bumps you up to lvl 80 when you port out there.
Old 06-09-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope, not yet. I'll give it a try today hopefully. I was a big fan of DAoC.
Old 07-18-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Surprised there's not more talk about this. Looks great and no monthly fee. I took the plunge and used the 20% code from Green Man and preordered.
Old 07-18-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The reason why there isn't more talk about GW2 on this forum is that without a monthly fee, they have nothing to whine and complain about.
Old 07-18-12, 01:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

If there's a free demo / open beta that doesn't require a pre-order to try, I'll give this a spin.
Old 07-18-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe by the end of the year, I might dive into it. I played Guild Wars and the expansion Eye of the North quite a bit. But after getting to level 20 and screwing around with the expansion, I got bored quickly. Even a second character did not help. It just did not cater to the single player experience at all. But here is hoping that the second is a lot different in that regard.
Old 07-18-12, 02:15 PM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i may give this game a shot if my laptop can handle it. I read that it is supposed to be like D3 and run on most systems. i am a console gamer, but I have really enjoyed Diablo 3 the past couple of months and would love to give another PC game a try. So this is like World of Warcraft without the 15 bucks a month?
Old 08-15-12, 05:00 AM
Uber Member

Release date is 8-28-12. Three day head start if you pre-purchase (Midnight Pacific on 8/25) and 1 day head start if you pre-order.

If you have a GW1 account and logged into it sometime this year before 7/31/12 then you have 24 hours on the official release date to make a character with that name, after that all old names are wide open.

GW2 is trying to do a few things differently than traditional MMOs by (sort of) getting rid of the holy trinity (damage, tank, healer), adding their own dynamic events engine that will actually change the game state and continuing their minimal grind philosophy from the first game.

There are eight professions
(Thief, Warrior, Elementalist, Guardian, Necromancer, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer) and five races (Human, Norn (big humans, sort of Norse-ish), Asura (snooty, magical engineer dwarves with floppy ears), Sylvari (plants with a human imprint), and the Charr (semi-erect cat people that were the enemy in the original game).

Max level is 80, but after the first few levels the exp. you need to level up becomes the same. I think they were aiming at about an hour or two of regular game play per level. Each area is aimed a certain character level range, but if you return to areas lower than your current level your character level will be scaled down so that it is appropriate for the level. You'll still have an advantage over lower level players, but it won't be like a hot knife through butter either. And you will get rewards appropriate for your characters actual level. This means that you can play all the content all the time once you get to level 80 which shouldn't take too much time. It also means that if your friend joins up a week or two or months after you, you can keep playing whatever character you want without powering through everything (and making things too easy for your friend) and still get decent rewards.

All quests and collectible items are designed to prevent other players from griefing you.
If you see some copper ore and someone else gets to it before you do, it doesn't matter because it will still be there for you to mine. And max weapons and armor drop with decent regularity or you can buy them from vendors or from the auction house from other players, so eventually rarity of weapons/armor is about the skins and not that they are more powerful. Which mean when you're playing PVP, it's about skill and not who has the best weapons/armor.

GW2 uses weapons to determine half of your skill bar, so depending on your profession you can use certain weapons and off hands, and each weapon type will have 3 (one handed) 5 (two handed) skills (off hand items have 2). Sixth skill slot is for a dedicated heal, 7-9 are for utility skills (each race has racial attribute skills too) and the 10th spot is for an elite skill. You unlock weapon skills by simply using the weapons. 6-10 skills are unlocked based on levels and skill points (which you get as you level up and do certain quests). You also have traits which strengthen or modify your other skills. Each profession has skills that provide additional options (like Engineers get backpacks and kits that change their bar). So there are quite a few options for customization without getting into the crazy amounts of skill combos that bogged down PVP balance in GW1.

If you played GW1 and have bought the Eye of the North expansion, then you can fill up the Hall of Monuments in there to get some GW2 game benefits. You can also reserve your character names if you want. Some differences for GW1 players will be no secondary professions, no red dots on the compass, compass and minimap merged, no click to move, no auto move into skill range on use. Positioning is very important in GW2 and you can use your skills while moving. There is a dodge mechanic that you can use to avoid damage and you can now jump and swim and fight underwater. There is still instant map travel, but now it is out in the rest of the game map and not just city to city. But map travel outside of cities costs a little bit of money now.

There is regular PVE (with "heart" quests (these are like traditional quests but they activate when you are in the area they take place in, you don't have to talk to an NPC until you have finished and they have multiple ways to complete them) dynamic events (these will be ongoing events that pop up in your quest list when you get close enough to them, so you might see a group of centaurs attacking a city, you can join in and help fight or move on; if you join in, then the city stays free and the next event might be to go find out where they came from, if you don't then the next time you walk by the town will be under the control of the centaurs and you'll get an event to help take it back) and dungeons (five people max) and a personal story as well as an over arching game story about the dragons in Tyria coming back to life and you defeating them.

PVP comes in two main flavors
, structured PVP (sPVP) where you team up with 5 others to fight another team of 5, and World vs. World vs. World where you have 3 servers fighting against each other on very large maps with a wide variety of things to do (attack supply lines, take over and defend keeps, dungeons, build up seige weapons to take over keeps) over a 2 week period. You can also hot join PVP battles at will and just bash away at people. All PVP game types auto level you up to 80, but in sPVP you also have access to all armor and weapon abilities, whereas in WvW you have what you bring in.

Because the environment is large non-instanced (unlike GW1) there are now world servers (about 21 for the US and 26 for Europe. You can guest to any server you want at will but you have to choose a home server and that server will get any benefit from when you play WvWvW regardless of what server you are on when playing. WvW seems like a very popular format so far. If you played GW1 it seems to be a mix of the less serious forms of PVP from there (Jade Quarry, Alliance Battles, Fort Aspenwood) just on a much larger scale.

GW1 had an amazingly well done wiki (both fan run and an official one (fan controlled content but hosted by ArenaNet) and it looks like GW2 will have the same. There are also official forums this time and I believe there will be forums for each server for people who like to plan events and what not.

There's tons more to the game. I've played two betas so far and am really looking forward to playing this. My main concerns with the game now are how well the dynamic event engine works as it will be responsible for telling the game's overarching story as well as being a neverending chaining style quest event generator that hasn't been successfully done on this scale, and that combat is still abit too hectic and it is hard to tell what is killing you when you do die.

If you have or plan to pre-purchase, they have been having pretty regular "stress tests" lately (3 last week, another one today) for about 4 hours. They had demo accounts for GW1 so I'm sure they'll have something similar for GW2, but I haven't really kept track of that.

Links:
Main site]
ArenaNet's MMO Manifesto
Official Wiki
Dynamic event Boss fight in lowish level area
Recent Screenshot Contest
Guild Server tracking list
Aside from Reddit I believe the two biggest GW2 related forums are www.guildwars2guru.com and http://guildwars.incgamers.com/

Last edited by Blade; 08-15-12 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-15-12, 11:55 PM
Uber Member

About 9 days to go for the head start and 12 for release.

This guy is putting together daily count down videos:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/La2nBKLJVok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mods, should I create another thread or can the title be modified to show this is a PC based game and what the release date (8/28/12) is?
Old 08-16-12, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking forward to it for sure...
Old 08-16-12, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Blade

Mods, should I create another thread or can the title be modified to show this is a PC based game and what the release date (8/28/12) is?
Can't I just edit it the title to include that information?
Old 08-18-12, 12:31 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by Setzer
Can't I just edit it the title to include that information?
Yes, you most certainly could.

This video shows the in game elite skill and mini pet that you get if you buy the digital deluxe edition or CE.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MWjWr_1laQg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-19-12, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The game seems interesting. Since it is free to play after you buy the game I might try it out.

Is the game only a PvP game?

Is there enough to do if you normally do not PvP?

I am a PvE player only usually. I am a bit concerned that if it has no raiding that I might get bored.
Old 08-19-12, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by gcribbs
The game seems interesting. Since it is free to play after you buy the game I might try it out.

I am a PvE player only usually. I am a bit concerned that if it has no raiding that I might get bored.
1. No

2. Definitely! The game has 80 levels and there's enough PvE content to get to 80 without even touching PvP. Also the game has a pretty good crafting system which you can also gain xp and levels from.

As far as raids go....there really isn't any. There are boss fights that will require a large group of people to take down and you could probably organize it with your guild but its nothing like raiding in WoW. There are 8-10 dungeons in the game which can be run with up to 5 players.

Another thing about GW2 is that its not a gear dependent game. In WoW you grinded for set pieces and loot of a certain item level and then when the next content patch came around the item level was increased and there were new pieces of gear and entire new set pieces to farm. In GW2 you'll have level 80 gear you can get either by crafting, doing world vs world, or dungeons but statistically it will all be pretty much identical. You'll primarily be collecting new pieces of gear for cosmetic reasons, not for better stats.
Old 08-21-12, 06:33 AM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by gcribbs

The game is more PVE focused than the first one was, but there's plenty for both types of players to do. And the WvW stuff will be fairly PVE friendly too.

As you get into the higher level areas, the areas will be largely dynamic event driven with fairly long and involved event chains involving many players. Given their variability and length it sounds like there will be lots to keep PVE centered people (like me) very occupied. I'm also really looking forward to the dungeons. While they're for party's of five, I think them being one of the few instanced areas of the game will mean they'll be very interestingly designed.

Just under 4 days for the head start weekend and 7 for the official launch!

Elementalist skill over view video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3NW-ZtZkwwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-21-12, 07:12 AM
Uber Member

Forgot to add: If you've already pre-purchased, there's a Stress Test today from Noon to 4pm Pacific time.

From Facebook:
We will be conducting a stress test tomorrow Tuesday, August 21 from 12:00 Noon PACIFIC Time to 4:00 PM PACIFIC Time.

We will be actively working on the game during the event, so you might experience connectivity problems or discover features that are not working as designed.

Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch.

By participating in this stress test, you’re helping us make Guild Wars 2 a better game. Thanks for your cooperation—we’ll see you in-game!

--

Please note:
* The stress test is open to anyone who has pre-purchased Guild Wars 2.
* Characters will not be wiped from the previous Stress Test.
* The Stress Test will include Spanish text localization. ~RB2
Old 08-21-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Well, using that reusable $15 off $59.99+ game pre-order New Egg coupon, I pre-ordered this game for $44.99. Not sure about this type of game and have never played an MMO, but if there's no monthly fee and they're not trying to microtransaction me every time I play, it might be worth checking out, I suppose. I need to read some more impressions before the item ships next weekend.

But on a basic level, if I've never played this type of game before, is this a good one to start with?
Old 08-21-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Well, using that reusable $15 off $59.99+ game pre-order New Egg coupon, I pre-ordered this game for $44.99. Not sure about this type of game and have never played an MMO, but if there's no monthly fee and they're not trying to microtransaction me every time I play, it might be worth checking out, I suppose. I need to read some more impressions before the item ships next weekend.

But on a basic level, if I've never played this type of game before, is this a good one to start with?
What coupon is that? Can anybody get one?
Old 08-21-12, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You had to be emailed that, but there is a $12 one (EMCNBHJ256) that I think anyone can use.
Old 08-24-12, 09:11 AM
Uber Member

If you pre-purchased you can start playing in about 14 to 17 hours from now. Pre-orders get a one day head start (which would be midnight pacific time on the 27th), and the official launch is on the 28th.

Originally Posted by Decker
If you've played RPGs before, it's not that different I think, you're just playing with other people and some content is designed with the idea that you will be playing with them.

This is a good MMO to start with because you don't have to worry about grind (content you have to repeat a lot in order to proceed in the game) and it's been designed with the idea of not letting game mechanics get in the way of having fun (max armor/weapons/skills will be readily available, so rare items tend to be so because of looks, rather than giving you extra power vs. those who don't have the item).

If you want to learn about the story behind the original game, this guy has created an amazing series (5 parts done so far) that tells the story of the first game. Pretty cool stuff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PL00553A085339802C&hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My main character will be Scy Kil. Feel free to PM me in game.

Can't wait til after work today when I can start spamming the log in button. lol
Old 08-24-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Thanks for the info, Blade. I think that convinces me to keep my pre-order (though thanks to New Egg, I certainly won't be playing this on the 27th).

This MMO Manifesto video on the official website, aimed at newbies like myself, did a lot to convince me. It looks pretty impressive.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bKtGxVj3msM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Could you explain one thing to me though? : People in this Forum once explained to me why an MMO charges a monthly fee while other online games such as MW3 don't. I recall the expense of running servers all the time and keeping track of the locations of all these players in a persistent world. So how is this game different from a traditional MMO to the point of them not charging that monthly fee?

Last edited by Decker; 08-24-12 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-24-12, 11:35 AM

While Guild Wars 2 is different in many ways from WoW, it's still an MMO. ArenaNet has chosen the route of having a virtual store in their game where players can use real money to purchase virtual items such as pets, cosmetic outfits and short term item buffs instead of charging a monthly fee. Will this affect the quality of their game? Probably not. The first Guild Wars has been going for 7 yrs now and it didn't have a monthly subscription. I imagine ArenaNet will work on releasing yearly paid expansions to add more content to their game and along with the Virtual store it will be more than enough to cover their operating expenses.

I understand why companies charge a monthly fee for MMO's and I've never had a problem paying it as long as the game is good, content is added, servers are stable, etc..
Old 08-26-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Took the plunge last night with the pre-sale. It's definitely a AAA title, everything is slick and polished. The art design reminds me of Amaleur. And I was pleased to see the world is truly open instead of a series of big rooms.

I played for about an hour and my first impression is combat is chaotic as hell! Especially during group encounters (or whatever they're called). People are dodging and running around like crazy. Combat seems to be really movement based. I rolled a thief character and I thought it would be similar to wow: go stealth and manually position myself to back stab folks. Nope. I have one skill that teleports me to the enemy from a distance and then teleports me back away after I deal damage. Another one instantly whips me around to the rear of an enemy and does a back stab. Cool stuff, and I'm only level 2.

And I'm very pleased to see the virtual store is unobtrusive. Most games like this nag you to death about buying stuff.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.