Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Quantic Dream's BEYOND: TWO SOULS (starring Ellen Page)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Quantic Dream's BEYOND: TWO SOULS (starring Ellen Page)

Old 10-15-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Quantic Dream's BEYOND: TWO SOULS (starring Ellen Page)

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Everyone here, the ones posting, are big fans of Heavy Rain, with flaws and all. So they went at the game trying to get more of the same, but perfected, and it seems they got that.

So yeah, if you like HR, you may really like this game too.
This is a very important caveat. And, to be perfectly honest, if BEYOND: Two Souls were simply a movie, I'd see it as beautifully acted but with a script that doesn't measure up to the performances with which it's blessed. If not for Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, the most effective moments would fall flat. And there are other moments that only work because you're an active participant.
Old 10-18-13, 11:02 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still making my way through the game. Just got to the first part of the Navajo section.

In playing through, when they go to the earlier parts of her life when she is young, and you see the "parents" is it juts me or does the "father" make you want to just punch him in the throat.
Spoiler:
At one point, when they showed the parents dropping her off at the center, Aiden chokes the father. I let off, after a bit, but I wasn't sure if the game would let you carry it through and actually choke him to death.
Old 10-18-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand View Post
In playing through, when they go to the earlier parts of her life when she is young, and you see the "parents" is it juts me or does the "father" make you want to just punch him in the throat.
Spoiler:
At one point, when they showed the parents dropping her off at the center, Aiden chokes the father. I let off, after a bit, but I wasn't sure if the game would let you carry it through and actually choke him to death.
There are two trophy options for that part:

Spoiler:
You leave "dad" alone or let him live, and you get a sympathy trophy or you kill him for the other trophy.
Old 10-18-13, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand View Post
I'm still making my way through the game. Just got to the first part of the Navajo section.

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
There are two trophy options for that part:

Spoiler:
You leave "dad" alone or let him live, and you get a sympathy trophy or you kill him for the other trophy.
You can't.
Spoiler:
I let him be in my first playthrough. I choked him out the second time around. Jodie makes Aiden stop before you can kill fake dad.
Old 10-18-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
You can't.
Spoiler:
I let him be in my first playthrough. I choked him out the second time around. Jodie makes Aiden stop before you can kill fake dad.
Ahhh. Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-19-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
Ahhh. Thanks for the correction.
If you wanna kill off some characters, in my current playthrough, it seems there's a third scenario in the party
Spoiler:
where Aiden kills the kids. I went about knocking out almost all of the kids (one of the girls refused to go down) and just as I knocked down a candle to start a fire, the game went to a cutscene where Jodie is leaving the house and Kirsten's mom shows up. She asks where her daughter is but Jodie doesn't answer. The mom runs inside and whatever she sees inside freaks her out and she starts yelling her daughter's name. At that moment Nathan shows up, sees that some shit went down and gets Jodie the hell out of there without confirming if the kids are dead or alive.

Is it wrong that I wish there was a scenario where you set the fire and the kids don't make it out?
Old 10-25-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't have the game yet, but am wondering how the sales have been. Does anyone know?
Old 10-25-13, 08:34 AM
gamer for life

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post
Don't have the game yet, but am wondering how the sales have been. Does anyone know?
vgchartz says 300,000 global sales through OCT 12. This is week one sales only really, so the real test is to see how much if falls second week.
Old 11-24-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this through Gamefly the other day and I've been working my way through with two play sessions so far between my time with my PS4 and the new Mario and Zelda games. I was up until freakin' 6am last night playing this, good lord. I got to chapter 10, decided to play a few more and they were pretty quick chapters, then I got to Navajo and my wife said just one more, so I said sure. I had no clue I'd be playing that one chapter for over an hour!!! My wife loves to watch me play this, she loved watching me play Heavy Rain as well.

The bar scene, oh my, insane. I went all out in that one, just didn't hold anything back at all. My wife thought even I went crazy, lol. She likes when I play "nice", usually. Or at least when I don't go full on crazy.

This game is amazing. Sure, it's very much an interactive movie, but I love it to death. There are things in this game I never expected to see. I'm blown away by it for sure. I knew next to nothing about this game before I started. I only finally went back to Heavy Rain last week or so and beat that one before I started this one.

I want the creators of this game should make a full blown horror themed game on the PS4 now. My favorite parts of this one may be when Jodie was a little girl and all of the crazy stuff was happening to her.

Last edited by Brent L; 11-24-13 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-24-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-24-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 632 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
I got this through Gamefly the other day and I've been working my way through with two play sessions so far between my time with my PS4 and the new Mario and Zelda games. I was up until freakin' 6am last night playing this, good lord. I got to chapter 10, decided to play a few more and they were pretty quick chapters, then I got to Navajo and my wife said just one more, so I said sure. I had no clue I'd be playing that one chapter for over an hour!!! My wife loves to watch me play this, she loved watching me play Heavy Rain as well.

The bar scene, oh my, insane. I went all out in that one, just didn't hold anything back at all. My wife thought even I went crazy, lol. She likes when I play "nice", usually. Or at least when I don't go full on crazy.

This game is amazing. Sure, it's very much an interactive movie, but I love it to death. There are things in this game I never expected to see. I'm blown away by it for sure. I knew next to nothing about this game before I started. I only finally went back to Heavy Rain last week or so and beat that one before I started this one.

I want the creators of this game should make a full blown horror themed game on the PS4 now. My favorite parts of this one may be when Jodie was a little girl and all of the crazy stuff was happening to her.
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy almost was horror, until it went silly SyFy Original.
Old 11-24-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I need to play Farenheit, despite all the horror stories I've read of its "Simon gameplay".

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-26-13 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-24-13, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just started this game last night. Incredible.. and games like this are why I love games! Next chapter is the Navajo chapter!
Old 12-06-13, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by adrenaline78 View Post
I just started this game last night. Incredible.. and games like this are why I love games! Next chapter is the Navajo chapter!
Enjoy, that is the longest chapter in the game by far.

I finished this last night and got what my wife and I consider the "good" ending. We were also, surprisingly, very touched by the big reveal at the end of the game. Maybe we're suckers, I dunno, but it legit put a chill through both of us and made us misty eyed.
Old 12-08-13, 10:16 PM

Just finished this too, great game and my wife was actually interested in watching it too. I was a big fan of heavy rain too, but this was much more polished.
Old 12-26-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just finished this game--thought it was great. I loved Heavy Rain but thought this was much better.

Regarding the broken narrative structure...I didn't mind it. I felt it would have been perfectly fine to structure it chronologically, but I didn't think it took away from the game either.

I honestly don't quite understand why this game gets beaten down in the reviews. Do all games have to be the same in their ambition, or in the control they afford the gamer? People suggest that an interactive movie/game is a bad thing, but I felt far more connected to Jodie because of it. Doing things like making a Curry dinner or walking around at a house party or deciding to take money from an ATM machine immerse me far more than a typical game, because it makes me factor in the character's mental and emotional state as I make decisions that I feel would be true to the character.

In any other game, if my character is getting his ass kicked, it would be a thrilling action sequence that I'm excited to beat. In Beyond, I'm worried, because I feel those punches much more, and I'm concerned how the story might spin differently if the fight has a negative outcome.

I wonder if part of the negative reviews comes from the fact that you don't die, and maybe people think there's ultimately no consequences for your actions? I don't know how others feel, but I played Tomb Raider before getting into this, and I died quite a lot. Playing Beyond, the lack of dying not only made me feel more connected to the story, but it heightened the tension that death could be a reality--if not for Jodie, then at least another character.

I'm usually not into the sci-fi or supernatural element, because it always seem to boil down to exploding things whirling around the screen, and this was no different. But I didn't mind it in this one whatsoever.

Spoiler:

I ended up choosing life. Curious to know if anyone chose Beyond, and if so, why?

Also...is the DLC worth paying for? Anyone try it out?
Old 12-26-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 632 Likes on 512 Posts

I haven't been able to get into this one quite yet, I plan on going throughout but early on (around the time of the "teenage party") I was just shaking my head at how ridiculous the whole game was. It just doesn't seem as interesting as Heavy Rain or Indigio Prophecy.
Old 12-27-13, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post
I honestly don't quite understand why this game gets beaten down in the reviews. Do all games have to be the same in their ambition, or in the control they afford the gamer? People suggest that an interactive movie/game is a bad thing, but I felt far more connected to Jodie because of it.
The only reviews that I saw were positive, though they did mention the controversy about whether or not these were really games.

I'm not a big fan of the interactive movie concept. I don't want to control the character. I want to BE the character. As close as I can get. The interactive movie puts another layer between me and the character.

Fortunately, Quantic Dream leaves a lot of space between releases. If they started pumping out a lot more of these games, I'd get very tired of them. I like them as an occasional diversion.

The controls feel terribly clunky sometimes. Fortunately, they did tone down the bits from Heavy Rain where it seemed like I ended up having to hold down every damn button on the controller.

Spoiler:

I ended up choosing life. Curious to know if anyone chose Beyond, and if so, why?

Spoiler:

Trophies. Always choose trophies. Saved everybody who could be and chose life. Went back and saved none and went with them.

Also...is the DLC worth paying for? Anyone try it out?
Did they release any new DLC? If it's the Advanced Experiments, it came free when I got it from Gamestop. It's OK. There's no story. Just a series of puzzles to solve using Aiden and Jodie to open doors. I wouldn't pay for it.
Old 04-22-14, 08:01 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks like there is a director cut coming out for the ps4.
Old 04-23-14, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 147 Posts

Bring it
Old 04-23-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Will it be a real director's cut or like the one for HR which was just the one bit of DLC and some additional making of videos packed in? Because the regular PS3 release of B2S already had all that.
Old 05-02-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finished this today, loved it!

Spoiler:
Did anyone else think that Cage must love Metroid Prime 2? Those dark entities made me think of the creatures from the dark world.

Spoiler:
I thought the same thing about the end of the Navajo level being a glitch when Paul and wheelchair grandma show up. But I think that was just meant to be them in their spirit form (since Jodie can see those too).
Old 09-01-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,042 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok View Post
Looks like there is a director cut coming out for the ps4.
Not officially confirmed, but PS4 trophies were spotted recently per Joystiq, and that famous harbinger of all upcoming releases, a listing for the game briefly appeared on a German website
Old 09-02-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

It's always been planned for PS4. During pre-release press coverage it was revealed they built the game using the PS4 engine and ported it over to the PS3. With that info i'd consider the PS4 to be the true version.
Old 01-03-15, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Finished just now. I put in 7 hours today I couldn't stop playing. I really hate that I can't see how long I spent playing this the game time logged shows up nowhere to be found