Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Elder Scrolls Online

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online

Did they mention a price on the client? I'm kind of interested on PS4, but geez ...

$30, maybe ... but I wouldn't pay $60 for an MMO that failed so miserably on the PC.

"Our game sucked so bad we couldn't find anyone to pay $15 a month for it. But HEY! you can still pay full price for the client! We promise it will be filled with microtransactions that will force to to fork over more money to get anywhere!"
Old 01-22-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

If you're a fan of the Elder Scrolls games, it is actually worth the $60. The storyline for each faction will provide you with 100+ hours of gameplay and they're really well done. The voice acting is also top notch. I had fun with the game! It had its kinks early on but they've fixed all that and as a single player game it's pretty solid.

It wasn't that the game sucked, it's just not great in terms of it being an MMO. Unless you're big into PvP there's really no point in continuing to pay a monthly sub once you're finished completing the storylines. It was the exact same way I felt about Star Wars: The Old Republic. Also, for MMO's, it's critical you make a good first impression. Those first 30 days after launch are pretty crucial to the success or failure of the game. They had major issues that prevented people from completing storyline quests, some pretty bad economy-breaking exploits, and also some issues with their mega server technology. Things that they should have ironed out in beta. Not like you're not gonna be completely bug free with any game you release but the bugs that were there shouldn't have been there and I think it probably left a bad taste in players mouths.

Last edited by Setzer; 01-22-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-22-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has there been any MMO that went from payed client + monthly fee to just payed client?
I can only think of those that went directly to completely F2P

It's an interesting step, but it makes me think that if we just wait long enough, the client will be free as well.
Old 01-22-15, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer
If you're a fan of the Elder Scrolls games, it is actually worth the $60. The storyline for each faction will provide you with 100+ hours of gameplay and they're really well done. The voice acting is also top notch. I had fun with the game! It had its kinks early on but they've fixed all that and as a single player game it's pretty solid.

It wasn't that the game sucked, it's just not great in terms of it being an MMO. Unless you're big into PvP there's really no point in continuing to pay a monthly sub once you're finished completing the storylines. It was the exact same way I felt about Star Wars: The Old Republic. Also, for MMO's, it's critical you make a good first impression. Those first 30 days after launch are pretty crucial to the success or failure of the game. They had major issues that prevented people from completing storyline quests, some pretty bad economy-breaking exploits, and also some issues with their mega server technology. Things that they should have ironed out in beta. Not like you're not gonna be completely bug free with any game you release but the bugs that were there shouldn't have been there and I think it probably left a bad taste in players mouths.
How does it play in First Person? It looks Skyrim like
Old 01-22-15, 10:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhg83
How does it play in First Person? It looks Skyrim like
It plays great in first person mode! I'm really surprised how well they were able to pull this off. They weren't going to do it initially and then later added it in so I was expecting it to be pretty lame but they did a great job adding it in and it plays just like Skyrim.
Old 01-23-15, 07:36 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Has there been any MMO that went from payed client + monthly fee to just payed client?
I can only think of those that went directly to completely F2P

It's an interesting step, but it makes me think that if we just wait long enough, the client will be free as well.

it will be eventually, but they would be dumb not to try it as buy 2 play for a little while and get some extra revenue.
Old 01-23-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

FIW...someone has stitched all four of the CGI trailers together for a 20 minute show...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SrKicizGdDM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-14-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since some games are being bumped (The Division), the new AC will be single player only, Batman sp and still nothing much on Planetside 2, a few of us were asking bout The Elder Scrolls Online. Being bit by the Bloodborne hack & slash combat we started to look at this too.

Is the whole game built around PvP or is there solo & co-op parts and objectives? From what little I know you've got to reach a certain level before even doing PvP and even then might get your butt kicked. I saw some game footage and it seemed to have two players doing some objective and killing AI's. I also thought I saw some sort of four player "Dungeon Survival"?
Old 06-09-15, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this on X1 if anyone wants to party up anytime.

GT: MAD Polo
Old 06-09-15, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts

I haven't been keeping up with the console versions....are they still all separate server banks; not allowing any type of cross play with people on other platforms?
Old 06-09-15, 08:52 AM

Yeah, all versions are separate as far as I know.
Old 06-09-15, 10:47 PM
Banned

Anyone buy this today and taking FOREVER to download? I got to the main screens and chose North America server. Some junk about lots of people logging on the mega server and it's been 2 hours and I'm only at 25%....says game updating
Old 06-10-15, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really wanted to get this but haven't seen much interest on the board here. Besides, I got Dying Light not long ago and a friend plans on getting it to not to mention we're playing Diablo. Just seems everyone is wrapped up with Destiny....again....which will last how long....again....

I checked a lot of the PS4 Beta videos of in game footage and liked what I saw. Seems a bit of Skyrim, with Dragon's Age and a touch of Diablo in the mix. Still might land this later on....
Old 06-10-15, 07:12 AM

Yeah, they are having severe "Day One" server issues. I tried for about two hours last night to log in and no go. Also the DLC that came with most pre-orders, the Explorers pack, isn't working either. A lot of users that are getting in, are reporting getting booted fairly quickly. Like most MMO launches or hell even most online only game launches, they are having huge issues right now.

I'm a little angry, but I pretty much expected it. Although I expected to at least be able to login and create my character, but hell you can't even do that at this point.

I look forward to playing it once everything is ironed out.
Old 06-10-15, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I almost impulse bought this yesterday. It certainly looks good in the trailers and stuff but I just can't get over an MMORPG with no text chat.
Old 06-10-15, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No chat log? How do you interact with other players???
Old 06-10-15, 08:37 AM

Yeah, no chat box, just voice options.
Old 06-10-15, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...no wonder this game bombed at its PC launch. I'm one of the biggest TES fans out there but I'll be staying clear of this one, sadly.
Old 06-10-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
No chat log? How do you interact with other players???
From what I have read it's just vicinity voice chat.
I like a little privacy when I am A/S/L'ing all the female avatars!

Last edited by Maxflier; 06-10-15 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I was on the fence about getting this, but a little thing called Witcher 3 happened, and that's been thoroughly scratching my swords/fantasy itch, so much so, that there is no need for me to ever play this now.
Old 06-10-15, 10:11 AM
Banned

I need a headset as the kid broke the one that came with the xone. I'm just beginning and out of the prison and it seems like old school skyrim and oblivion. So far not sure of the bad reviews but I guess time will tell on that
Old 06-10-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardiackid75
I need a headset as the kid broke the one that came with the xone. I'm just beginning and out of the prison and it seems like old school skyrim and oblivion. So far not sure of the bad reviews but I guess time will tell on that
The reviews were based on it being a pay-to-play MMO. In that regard, it was terrible.

I play FF14 regularly; when ESO hit a lot of players I knew left FF to play it. The vast majority were back to FF after their first free month of ESO. Their subscriber base was atrocious.
Old 06-10-15, 04:33 PM
Banned

Ok so now I am in a que to play the game? Are you kidding. I sure wish I could get a refund. This is ridiculous
Old 06-10-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardiackid75
Ok so now I am in a que to play the game? Are you kidding. I sure wish I could get a refund. This is ridiculous
It's pretty common for popular MMOs at launch. Give it some time and the queues will die down. Hey at least you aren't paying a monthly fee while you can't log in!
Old 06-10-15, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I might give this a try in a few months, but on the PC rather than console. Once the first decent sale comes around, I'll look in to it. I remember trying to play that DC MMO on the PS3 a few years back, and that pretty much turned me off of the idea of a traditional MMO style game on consoles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.