Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

God of War: Ascencion

Old 03-12-13, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts
Re: God of War: Ascencion

Well, my plan to consider waiting on this got foiled by Amazon when I apparently forgot to cancel my CE pre-order from last July!

Anyway, I'll give my impressions later. The statue, however is AWESOME!. Well, the rock base is total flimsy crap, but Kratos is amazing. So detailed and well-made. His "skirt" is some sort of flexible plastic that sort of looks and moves like leather. His metallic paint accents look great on his swords and wrist chains. It's a fine addition to my CE collection. The Steelbook is boring though, just a gold Omega on one side, not embossed, Completely black on the reverse. Yawn.
Glad to get the new bonus PSASBR characters (Zeus and Issac Clarke) DLC included with the game as I'd probably buy them anyway.
Old 03-13-13, 04:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this game earlier today and had a chance to play it tonight. While I am enjoying it, I feel that it is not as spectacular as God of War 3, so far. And the graphics seem to be a step down from GOW3, which surprised me. Usually graphics improve with each game.

I'm fresh off of just beating Tomb Raider, which was unbelievably amazing, and I'm also in the middle of playing Nino Kuni, which is one of the greatest games I've ever played, so I'm not sure if those things are having an affect on my feeling underwhelmed by GOW: Ascension.

I'm sure I will enjoy GOW: Ascension more as I get further.
Old 03-13-13, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I played the demo of it. Wasn't really wowed by it. Felt like it lacked some "oomph" in it's gameplay. Also the slight changes in the control and gameplay weren't good for me. They just felt weak.
Old 03-14-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/...cension-review

GOOD
Ascension has its moments but even the addition of multiplayer doesn't conceal it's Kratos' weakest outing yet.

+Satisfying combat
+Epic finale
+Immaculate presentation
– Forgettable story
– Multiplayer a wasted opportunity
Old 03-25-13, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I finally got around to buying this and played until couple hours past where the demo stops. You know, it's pretty good! It actually plays and feels a lot better than I remember the demo playing, don't know if they tweaked something or if I'm just imagining things, but I definitely enjoyed myself more.

Ultimately though, it is more God of War, no more, no less. Wouldn't call it the weakest one (yet), while not as good as 3 or 2 (graphics aside), it's better than 1 and the PSP titles.
Old 03-25-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm about 4 hours in and loving it. The graphics look amazing, and the early bosses have just as much epic scale as the other games. I don't know why people are saying it is a weak GOW. Kratos even has some new moves.

I'm really looking forward to playing through the entire series in chronological order.
Old 03-25-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had been enjoying it. Unfortunately they decided to throw in a part that just reeks of laziness. The Trails of Archemedies sounds cool, and I'd even be open for another tough puzzle, but it is basically just a series of fights without a chance of replenshing health. It's like they threw in one of the old challenges from past games' extras but made it a roadblock in the story. They say they've patched it to make it easier, which means it must have been insane since I can't get past it post-patch.
Old 04-09-13, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finished this yesterday. They must have patched the Trials level because I was able to beat it on my first try (and I'm not an incredible GOW player or anything). Overall it was a fun game, but just felt kind of off for me. I wasn't a huge fan of some of the changes in combat, and the story was garbage.

I think it would've been better if it had been a prequel from before Kratos had made his oath to Ares, and then gone through his metamorphosis to become the Ghost of Sparta. Wouldn't have had many surprises since we already knew the story, but it's not like Ascension had any revelations to write home about.

I guess if I had to put them in order of my favorites, it would be: GOW2, Ghost of Sparta, GOW3, GOW, Chains of Olympus, Ascension.
Old 06-11-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

God of War: Ascension Collector's Edition is going to be an Amazon lightning deal in another hour and a half. I picked it up when it first came out and thought it was totally worth it.
Old 06-11-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$59.99 with an hour left
Old 03-25-14, 03:20 PM

In honor of the one-year anniversary, all God of War Ascension DLC (excluding XP bonus boosters) is free for one week.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...ERS1%3AADD-ONS
Old 03-25-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. I'll probably never use it, but free is free. I check out the multiplayer mode a couple times but it didn't do much for me.

I really need to go back and finish the single player game though. I got sidetracked by something else (GOW Judgement?) and never went back. I did enjoy what I played though. Just more of the same.
Old 03-25-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,062 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
In honor of the one-year anniversary, all God of War Ascension DLC (excluding XP bonus boosters) is free for one week.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...ERS1%3AADD-ONS
Is everything MP or is there some single player?
Old 03-25-14, 10:18 PM

In the game? It has both MP and SP components. Not unlike the last 2 Uncharted games. But the free DLC is only for MP.
Old 03-26-14, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,062 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
But the free DLC is only for MP.
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks!