Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Legend of Grimrock (PC)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Legend of Grimrock (PC)

Yeah, I remember the fire bonus as well. The game seems biased towards fire magic because of that and also because one puzzle requires you to use firebolt to solve it.

The vitality book was on the third floor with all the spiders. In a room between the save crystal and the puzzle room with the portals moving counter-clockwise, there was a room between them that had two floor pits. A wall button would raise the trap floor and then you could stand on it and hit another wall button that would open a secret door where the vitality book is.

Armor is actually a five piece set, not four. There should be a helmet, chest piece, legs piece, boots, and gloves. I have all five pieces of the Valor armor, but am missing the gloves for both Chitin and Lurker.

If I recall correctly, you can find all five plate pieces on the 13th floor. In another one of those rooms where you have three golden key doors and only one golden key, you can choose a full set of plate armor as a reward. Its not really worth it since the Valor armor is superior, but I guess its there if you have two heavy armor fighters. My other fighter is using the Chitin light armor because I never bothered leveling him up to where he can wear heavy without the penalties being applied.
Old 04-18-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to go back to the third level and see if I got the vitality book. I can't remember if I got it or not.

According to the Steam achievements, the chitin and lurker armor are only 4 pieces, so I guess there aren't gloves for those. It lists 6 pieces for Valor, and 5 for plate. I'm assuming they are counting the shield as part of the Valor armor, which I have.
Old 04-18-12, 05:04 PM
Banned

Yeah, I forgot about the Valor shield.

I have the GoG version, so I don't have Steam achievements to check.

It really blows there are no Chitin or Lurker gloves. I wonder why the developers did that.

The game also needs more bows/crossbows. You don't even find a bow until the third level. A crossbow is found in the secret slime room on the fourth level, and I ended up using that crossbow for the rest of the game. I found a better bow around level 9 or 10, but the crossbow was still slightly better.
Old 04-19-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally finished it. Great game. I had a lot of fun from beginning to end. That was probably the best $12 I've spent in a long time. Great value for the amount of hours I got out of it.

I ended up finding 64 of 71 secrets, but I found all the treasures, notes, skulls, and armor.
Old 04-21-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is kind of cool. There is a way to play through Grimrock, with a one character party.

It involves spoilers, so only read this if you've finished the game.

Spoiler:
You need to have taken Toorum's bones to the Crystal. You'll get the "Friends with Toorum" achievement, if you're playing in Steam. Start a new game. Type in Toorum for the character name, and press enter.

You'll start as Toorum. He's a ranger class, and looks to be a mix of fighter and mage. He starts with 8 armor, 5 axes, 5 earth magic.
Old 04-30-12, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ghym
This is kind of cool. There is a way to play through Grimrock, with a one character party.

It involves spoilers, so only read this if you've finished the game.

Spoiler:
You need to have taken Toorum's bones to the Crystal. You'll get the "Friends with Toorum" achievement, if you're playing in Steam. Start a new game. Type in Toorum for the character name, and press enter.

You'll start as Toorum. He's a ranger class, and looks to be a mix of fighter and mage. He starts with 8 armor, 5 axes, 5 earth magic.

Spoiler:
He also has a unique Thunderstrike trait which gives him double speed.

Toorum is a freaking beast, and actually soloing the game with him isn't hard at all. The beginning of the game is hard when you are low level and don't have good equipment, but the end of the game was incredibly easy. Those Goromog wizard guys with Cthulu like faces were no problem.

Thunderstrike gives Toorum 100% speed. 50 points maxed out in the sword skill tree gives another 100% speed. A potion of speed is yet another 100% speed. They all stack together for effectively 300% speed, and there is literally no cool down between attacks.

In this video, Toorum kills two ogres in less than a minute.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u7csleQaHzM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-13-12, 02:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

On sale at GOG.com for $7.49 right now.
Old 12-13-12, 03:13 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i wish i would have gotten this on steam for $3.50 a couple of weeks ago
Old 12-13-12, 03:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
i wish i would have gotten this on steam for $3.50 a couple of weeks ago
Darn, I missed that too. I'm not even sure if I have a Steam account actually. Need to get on their sale mailing list apparently.
Old 12-13-12, 03:57 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Darn, I missed that too. I'm not even sure if I have a Steam account actually. Need to get on their sale mailing list apparently.

it was their cyber monday sale if i remember correctly