Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What are your predictions for the upcoming generation of console gaming?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-16-13, 06:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

As the seventh generation of console gaming (Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii) comes to a close, how do you think the upcoming eighth generation (Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One) in video game history will play out? Aside from which console system you think will end up with the most amount of systems sold and which system will end up with the least amount of systems sold, what else do you think will happen in the upcoming console gaming generation? In other words, which companies, possibly both hardware and software, might exit the business during this generation, and which companies do you think might really thrive during this upcoming generation of console gaming? Thanks to anyone that replies.

Last edited by Sub-Zero; 08-16-13 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-16-13, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: What are your predictions for the upcoming generation of console gaming?

All joking aside, I think both MS and Sony with thrive but I believe this could be the last console as we know it. I predict by the end, everything will be a d/l title.
Old 08-16-13, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Are you writing reports or something?
Old 08-16-13, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I predict that I will have significantly less money than I do now. And I don't have much as I type.
Old 08-16-13, 06:35 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
All joking aside, I think both MS and Sony with thrive but I believe this could be the last console as we know it. I predict by the end, everything will be a d/l title.
I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be correct, though I would prefer if physical media stayed around for at least a couple more console generations.

Originally Posted by Music
Are you writing reports or something?
No, I just like to read other people's opinions and often find interesting opinions here.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I predict that I will have significantly less money than I do now. And I don't have much as I type.
Agreed.
Old 08-16-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't see everything going to a d/l only title until after a lot of time is spent with physical and d/l at a discount being around for awhile and being successful.
Old 08-16-13, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DJnKm6ftPu0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-16-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well if we are counting the Wii U in the same fold, I predict disappointment and low console and software sales
Old 08-16-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Well if we are counting the Wii U in the same fold, I predict disappointment and low console and software sales
Actually, I would not be surprised if anything outside of the PS4 does have very low console sales. I still wouldn't be surprised if PS4 succumbed to the same fate eventually too. But I could be wrong. We shall see, I probably still won't buy my next console until we are a couple of years into this generation anyway.
Old 08-16-13, 11:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Both the One and PS4 will both have poor sales but a large amount of fan boys won't care. Unlike the Wii U which is the whipping boy. How fast the Sony fans ignore the terrible Vita sales.

Far to many consumers are content with Tablet and Phone gaming. Spending $400+ on consoles won't cut it.
Old 08-16-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I predict Apple will enter the market with a console running iOS. Basically an upgraded Apple TV that plays games. And it will be backward compatible or course.
Old 08-17-13, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Both the One and PS4 will both have poor sales but a large amount of fan boys won't care. Unlike the Wii U which is the whipping boy. How fast the Sony fans ignore the terrible Vita sales.

Far to many consumers are content with Tablet and Phone gaming. Spending $400+ on consoles won't cut it.
The Vita's failure has nothing to do with console gaming. Clearly, the iOS and Android markets have killed the Vita, but that isn't the same market as console gaming.

As for the WiiU, nobody expected it to do well. It's too underpowered to compete with the next gen consoles, and the only thing it had as a selling point was the controller. That worked with the Wii, but the public wasn't gonna be fooled again.

I could see Nintendo dropping out of the console market, while keeping their handhelds alive as they're still very popular with kids. But they may be content selling underpowered systems for their exclusive games.
Old 08-17-13, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

More games being released early with lots of bugs. With both PS4 and XB1 having a video recording feature, it'll be easier for developers to see what kind of glitches they're dealing with. In essence every gamer will become a playtester.
Old 08-17-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If most consumers are OK with tablet games, we're in trouble. I don't even think of my iPad as a gaming device. PvZ2 is the first thing I've downloaded in almost 6 months. The Vita is a nice device that lacks games and it costs too much.

Maybe I'm being naïve, but I think the One & PS4 will do just fine. If anything, the One might have some problems after the initial launch due to pricing, but I see them doing a Kinect-less bundle next year.
Old 08-17-13, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
I could see Nintendo dropping out of the console market
People have been saying this ever since the N64.

Unlike Microsoft and Sony, both of which use hardware as a loss leader to sell software, Nintendo makes a profit on their hardware sales. As long as their hardware remains profitable, they aren't going anywhere.
Old 08-17-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

I say....

....the "Eye Candy" that we're impressed with now will literally stun and amaze us in 4-5 years from now

....we'll see more open wide world game play like The Division, Destiny, The Crew that will change MP and even SP as we know it.

...even better and enhance motion & voice game play and intergration into the consoles for various media and social areas.

...stiffer and more competition from other venues like Steam and Digital thru other companies getting into gaming....Valve's Steam Box, Amazon, Apple, Ouya, etc...
Old 08-17-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I say....

....the "Eye Candy" that we're impressed with now will literally stun and amaze us in 4-5 years from now
I don't understand this.... this seems like the opposite would be true.

....we'll see more open wide world game play like The Division, Destiny, The Crew that will change MP and even SP as we know it.
If they are successful, which I don't see how they wouldn't be, then most definitely.

...even better and enhance motion & voice game play and intergration into the consoles for various media and social areas.
This is the present

...stiffer and more competition from other venues like Steam and Digital thru other companies getting into gaming....Valve's Steam Box, Amazon, Apple, Ouya, etc...
That's the present...
Old 08-17-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

I disagree, I think the PS4 will end up on top, the One will be middling, especially now that streaming is becoming as dominate as it is. The PS4 will probably end up with slightly higher sales than the PS3, the Xbox One somewhere between the original and 360, and the Wii U around the same as the Gamecube.

The Vita is a dud that has received absolutely no support. It may pick up when the PS4 is released but right now it'll have to settle to playing second fiddle to the 3DS (the current best selling "game console" by a wide margin) and taking solace in knowing it too is outselling the Wii U on a weekly basis.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-17-13 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-17-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
If most consumers are OK with tablet games, we're in trouble. I don't even think of my iPad as a gaming device. PvZ2 is the first thing I've downloaded in almost 6 months. The Vita is a nice device that lacks games and it costs too much.
I'm not sure it's that they're satisfied with tablet games, but rather that they have other things to do with their on-the-go time.

Think about what it was like when the Game Boy was released. There was not much you could do for mobile entertainment besides listen to music, or read a book. Nintendo made that time fun.

Now, most people already have a device that, while it may not be as good at gaming, it does a lot more things. They can be entertained just fine without playing any game, and they can even be "addicted" to some of the non-gaming stuff. I can understand the thinking of, why should I carry around another costly device, just to play good games when I could do other things and save the games for when I get home? And if I really want a game, there are some decent ones available.
Old 08-17-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The Wii U will continue to have terrible sales, and a few better games won't turn it completely around. Not that it won't be a mild success and make Nintendo some money, but it won't really recover from the slow start.

The PS4 will lead this generation in sales, followed by the Xbox One. The One will start slow but will be able to recover in the next 2 years to still be successful and at least make things interesting and competitive.

The other competitors, Ouya, Amazon, etc will fail. Steam Box will be niche and won't draw much interest either.
Old 08-18-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
I don't understand this.... this seems like the opposite would be true.

If they are successful, which I don't see how they wouldn't be, then most definitely.

This is the present

That's the present...

I was referencing not just what we'll see presently but what might be in the future. As good as the "Eye Candy" is now or how great Kinect or new EYE seems to be, 4-6 years from now they'll be so-so or just average. Stuff we're seeing today was a pipe dream 4-5 years ago and sci-fi tech 7-8 years ago. Just like when the PS3 & 360 consoles and games came out, what we saw years later made that look old.

Heck...Kinect didn't come out till Nov 2010 and who would've thought getting a 360 on release date would see something like that. Same with PC gaming...who would've thought one could squeeze everything you might need into a little 5" cube. For that matter in 6-8 years we might not even use hand controllers but eye glasses, motion base gloves or thought base headwear. For the upcoming Generation of console...sky might be the limit