DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Games that used previous saves for added content? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/599793-games-used-previous-saves-added-content.html)

mndtrp 03-12-12 10:26 PM

Games that used previous saves for added content?

I was just thinking about one of the Ratchet and Clank games that allowed me to use a previous save to get different weapons at the start. Dragon Age: Origins Awakenings could import the character from the Origins proper game, so I guess that could apply in a way. Being an add-on/expansion kind of makes it less interesting, though.

Any others of note? It seems like this would be something a little extra that could keep people playing sequels, especially if they are a bit burnt out on a franchise.

Chris_D 03-12-12 10:45 PM

Re: Games that used previous saves for added content?

Mass Effect is a big one. You can run into characters from the previous games and they will react differently depending on how you interacted with them before.

dugan 03-12-12 10:48 PM

One character Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes taunts you according to which saves from other games you have on your memory card.

Chris_D 03-12-12 10:50 PM

That reminds me, also Konami. In Silent Hill 3 when you look in a toilet you will get a different reaction depending on whether or not you have a Silent Hill 2 save on your card.

Fandango 03-12-12 11:07 PM

Infamous 2 gives you a different starting bonus depending on whether you chose good or evil karma in the first game.

ultimaton 03-12-12 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 11149801)
I was just thinking about one of the Ratchet and Clank games that allowed me to use a previous save to get different weapons at the start. Dragon Age: Origins Awakenings could import the character from the Origins proper game, so I guess that could apply in a way. Being an add-on/expansion kind of makes it less interesting, though.

Dragon Age II made use of saves from Origins and Awakenings.

MoviePage 03-12-12 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 11149819)
Mass Effect is a big one. You can run into characters from the previous games and they will react differently depending on how you interacted with them before.

There's more to it than that, though. Decisions in the earlier games have a big impact on how the story plays out in the later ones. It's a life or death situation in some cases.

glassdragon 03-12-12 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by dugan (Post 11149821)
One character Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes taunts you according to which saves from other games you have on your memory card.

Ahh yes, good ol psycho mantis

That actually started in the first MGS though

Chris_D 03-12-12 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage (Post 11149876)
There's more to it than that, though. Decisions in the earlier games have a big impact on how the story plays out in the later ones. It's a life or death situation in some cases.

I haven't played 3 yet but what about 2? I don't remember anything particularly mind blowing.

Drexl 03-13-12 02:59 AM

The Madden games allow you to import a draft class from the NCAA game.

TheKing 03-13-12 04:55 AM

LittleBigPlanet 2 gives you the option to import everything from the first game, including your created levels. Also, if you do that, you can get to the online portions of LBP 2 from the start, as opposed to having to finish the first chapter of the game.

Super Street Fighter IV gave you a bonus if you had a save from Street Fighter IV. Lost Planet 2 gives you something for save files to other capcom games.

WWE Legends Of WrestleMania allowed to to "import" the roster of SmackDown Vs. Raw 2009 if you had that game.

Noonan 03-13-12 08:04 AM

Suikoden 2 let you have extra content if you have a Suikoden save with all 108 characters.

Chris_D 03-13-12 08:22 AM

Also you could import your Suikoden 2 save into Suikoden 3 and the game would include historic references to Suikoden 2 events.

mewmartigan 03-13-12 09:15 AM

Mass Effect also looks for other games....I know in my Mass Effect 3, I can buy "Dragon Age" armor and "Dead Space" armor because I have save files from each game on my PS3.

I believe Dead Space 2 had something for you (weapon or armor?) if you have a DS1 save file. Same goes for Arkham City if you have an Arkham Asylum file.

mndtrp 03-13-12 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_D (Post 11149819)

Good to know. I haven't played any of these yet, and was thinking of picking up the 3rd. I'll start at the beginning instead.

dugan 04-28-12 08:58 PM

Wing Commander 2.

bluetoast 04-28-12 09:01 PM

Shenmue 2 did this for the Dreamcast version. You had little trinkets, moves that you can master, money, all sorts of stuff. Needless to say I was very pissed when it turned out that it wasn't coming out in the U.S. The XBOX version gave you everything anyway (although I think a few trinkets were lost), but it's not the same as playing the first game and earning them from scratch.

vballboy51 05-03-12 10:59 AM

most EA sports games let you import your older characters into the game for some new perks. in TW13 you get a bunch of bonus XP for a TW12 save.

Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter nights both did it, i think.

Banjo and Kazooie N&B has stuff specifically geared around needing Banjo & Tatooie on XBLA.

ooh - found this website - contains a TON of examples. some sounds neat

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OldSaveBonus

fujishig 05-03-12 01:08 PM

There are lots I didn't know about... including the Super Robot Wars DS ones.

How does that Valkyria Chronicles II import work? Isn't the first one on PS3 and the second one on PSP? How do you import a save from one to the other?

Also, I can't think of many EA sports games that transfer stuff over... Madden doesn't do it from previous Maddens that I know of, though it will let you import a draft class from that year's NCAA.

Michael Corvin 05-03-12 01:43 PM

Dead Rising 2 imports your levels from your Dead Rising: Case 0 save.