Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Old 02-29-12, 11:34 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,429
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Baldur's Gate III (PC)

http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/30841/

"The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny, chaos will be sown by their passage." So declares the wise Alaundo, in a mysterious new teaser website for Baldur's Gate. Throne of Bhaal's malevolent skull takes center stage here, with the faded images of original player characters populating the background. A simple peek inside the site's source code reveals some enigmatic references to previous Baldur's Gate games.
http://baldursgate.com/


Very Interested in this
Old 02-29-12, 03:00 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,861
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

I've heard it's going to be a first person shooter...
Old 02-29-12, 03:51 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 2,493
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

But with squad mechanics and gay romance options.
Old 02-29-12, 07:31 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 9,127
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

I loved the first game. Never played the second though. I would be interested in a new update to this strong IP.
Old 02-29-12, 08:13 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 40,616
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
I loved the first game. Never played the second though. I would be interested in a new update to this strong IP.
The second game is about a million times better than the first. You should definitely check it out.
Old 02-29-12, 10:14 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Setzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 3,753
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Yes, the second one is definitely better than the first. Both are classics but BG2 is easily one of my favorite RPG's of all time.
Old 02-29-12, 10:24 PM
  #7  
gamer for life
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Muskogee, OK
Posts: 7,860
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

the second game IS the best pure rpg of all time...
Old 02-29-12, 10:28 PM
  #8  
gamer for life
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Muskogee, OK
Posts: 7,860
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

and time stop is still the best spell in game history...
Old 03-01-12, 09:06 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

I'd love a new Baldur's Gate game!

I just bought Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 with both expansions, Planescape Torment, and the Temple of Elemental Evil off GOG.com for $19.99. Not a bad deal.
Old 03-01-12, 02:17 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 30,302
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Back in the days of awesome RPG gaming....
Old 03-01-12, 08:57 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: IL
Posts: 2,806
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Heck I even played the less than stellar Xbox ports. I guess I'm old school but I'll always prefer an isometric perspective for RPGs.
Old 03-02-12, 06:24 AM
  #12  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
I loved the first game. Never played the second though. I would be interested in a new update to this strong IP.


You can get the whole BG saga on GOG for like $10. You should definitely check it out, because as others have said it is the best RPG ever made. Its really sad how Bioware has fallen because Dragon Age and Mass Effect are nowhere near as good.

BG3 was actually in development by Black Isle before they went out of business. It was codenamed The Black Hound, similar to their Fallout 3 work in progress codenamed Van Buren. Of course the Fallout 3 we actually got by Bethesda was nothing like Van Buren at all, so I don't really have any faith that if BG3 ever is made that it will be like the old games at all. Isometric games like that are dead and gone. BG3 will most likely be a first person game like Fallout 3 ended up being. Also consider that it definitely won't use the old 2nd edition rule set. It would use the new 4th edition rules that just came out. So yeah, it really won't be much like old school BG at all.
Old 03-02-12, 06:26 AM
  #13  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
Heck I even played the less than stellar Xbox ports. I guess I'm old school but I'll always prefer an isometric perspective for RPGs.
They weren't ports. A port is when a game is transferred across systems with minimal changes. The console BG games were completely different games.
Old 03-02-12, 07:08 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

I don't think I ever played any of the Baldur's Gate games. I recall trying a demo for one of the console games but it wasn't my cup of tea. However, I've also read the console games were all crap.
Old 03-02-12, 07:20 AM
  #15  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I don't think I ever played any of the Baldur's Gate games. I recall trying a demo for one of the console games but it wasn't my cup of tea. However, I've also read the console games were all crap.
They are crap indeed. BG on the consoles was a hack and slash button masher like God of War or Ninja Gaiden. BG on the PC was a very strategic RPG using the D&D rules. Have you played Dragon Age? BG on the PC is Dragon Age done ten times better. In fact, Dragon Age was hyped as being the spiritual successor to BG, although in the end it was just marketing hype because it really wasn't. Dragon Age on the PC was close though since you could change to an isometric view, and the difficulty was a little more strategic than console versions.
Old 03-02-12, 09:56 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,012
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

I'd love a new BG game. I played the original long ago. Never played the second one. I recently bought BG 1+2, and Icewind Dale 1+2 off GOG.com when they had a buy one, get one free sale. It also came with Temple of Elemental Evil for free. 5 games for $20. A good deal, IMO. I've now got plenty of old school RPGs to play through.
Old 03-02-12, 10:03 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,341
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
Its really sad how Bioware has fallen because Dragon Age and Mass Effect are nowhere near as good.
This almost makes it sound like Bioware is making crap games now or something. Personally, I like the Mass Effect series better.
Old 03-02-12, 10:07 AM
  #18  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Originally Posted by Ghym View Post
It also came with Temple of Elemental Evil for free.
ToEE is a very bland game. Its sad because it does have the most faithful representation of tabletop D&D gaming ever converted to a computer game, and that part is absolutely amazing, but the rest of the game is junk. The storyline is more basic than Diablo. The quests are all fetch quests. The amazing combat engine is the only good thing about it.

If you do play ToEE, be sure to get the Circle of Eight mod. That mod adds a lot of content and provides a better experience. Its still not a great game, but its a lot better than vanilla ToEE.

If someone ever made a game with the depth of Baldur's Gate combined with the combat engine of ToEE, it would be the best game ever made.
Old 03-02-12, 10:13 AM
  #19  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
This almost makes it sound like Bioware is making crap games now or something. Personally, I like the Mass Effect series better.
Mass Effect better than Baldur's Gate? That's blasphemy!

It really depends on what you want in your games. Mass Effect, like most games today, are definitely more cinematic and almost like a Hollywood movie. However, they typically lack the gameplay depth of older games. Dragon Age and Mass Effect are nowhere near as deep as Baldur's Gate. Fallout 3 is nowhere near as deep as Fallout 1 and 2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution isn't as deep as the original Deus Ex. And so on. Personally I prefer gameplay over cinematic graphics, so I am not too much into modern gaming. Other people prefer cinematics over gameplay. Nothing wrong with it, just different preferences.
Old 03-02-12, 10:22 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
They are crap indeed. BG on the consoles was a hack and slash button masher like God of War or Ninja Gaiden. BG on the PC was a very strategic RPG using the D&D rules. Have you played Dragon Age? BG on the PC is Dragon Age done ten times better. In fact, Dragon Age was hyped as being the spiritual successor to BG, although in the end it was just marketing hype because it really wasn't. Dragon Age on the PC was close though since you could change to an isometric view, and the difficulty was a little more strategic than console versions.
Yeah, I have DA. Sadly, never got to finish it. I forgot to backup my save when I had to re-install Windows 7 a while back. Since I was pretty deep in the game, I haven't had much desire to start from the beginning all over again.

I rarely used the isometric camera, however. It helped in certain areas but felt mostly pointless since enemies would just magically appear out of nowhere (DAII was far worse in that regard).
Old 03-02-12, 10:33 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,341
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
Mass Effect better than Baldur's Gate? That's blasphemy!

It really depends on what you want in your games. Mass Effect, like most games today, are definitely more cinematic and almost like a Hollywood movie. However, they typically lack the gameplay depth of older games. Dragon Age and Mass Effect are nowhere near as deep as Baldur's Gate. Fallout 3 is nowhere near as deep as Fallout 1 and 2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution isn't as deep as the original Deus Ex. And so on. Personally I prefer gameplay over cinematic graphics, so I am not too much into modern gaming. Other people prefer cinematics over gameplay. Nothing wrong with it, just different preferences.
I prefer gameplay over cinematic graphics too, but I think "gameplay" is somewhat ambiguous and ill-defined so i'm not sure if that's the comparison I would make as the distinction between new and old games. For what its worth, I like Fallout 1/2 and the original Deus Ex better then their modern counter parts too, but still have Mass Effect as my favorite RPG.
Old 03-02-12, 10:46 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

I love Mass Effect but only like Dragon Age. I wonder where I fit in all this.
Old 03-02-12, 10:48 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,341
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

I only like Dragon Age too.
Old 03-02-12, 11:08 AM
  #24  
gamer for life
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Muskogee, OK
Posts: 7,860
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
Mass Effect better than Baldur's Gate? That's blasphemy!

It really depends on what you want in your games. Mass Effect, like most games today, are definitely more cinematic and almost like a Hollywood movie. However, they typically lack the gameplay depth of older games. Dragon Age and Mass Effect are nowhere near as deep as Baldur's Gate.
I love Baldur's Gate. I think I have near 300 hours into the second game, but I just disagree with the idea that the gameplay is deeper than Mass Effect. I guess it depends on what you are looking for or define "deep" as. Baldur's Gate does not hold your hand, I will give you that. One is truly open world and the other is structured. Combat is a major reason to play these games. With Baldur's Gate 2, even on the highest difficulty, I got to the point that I never thought about it. I could go through the motions in my sleep. Mass Effect on the other hand on the highest difficulty requires you to be on your toes. While it is still not a hard game, there is a strategy required that keeps you on edge during the game that is missing in Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate has the joy of exploration and discovery that makes the game special. Mass Effect has, as you say, a Hollywood like presentation. Both games are a lot of fun during combat. I just happen to find Mass Effect deeper in that regard, and ultimately that is the reason I play games.

I am with you on Dragon Age though...
Old 03-02-12, 11:40 AM
  #25  
gamer for life
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Muskogee, OK
Posts: 7,860
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Baldur's Gate III (PC)

and I have to add...reading my post again I made it sound like Baldurs gate was easy...or that combat had no depth..

This is not the case, there is plenty of difficulty until you figure it out and level up, and you will get your ass handed to you if you pick fights you are not ready for or go where you should not be. You need a lot of strategy for Baldur's gate, it just seemed to me that I got to the point that combat was mindless. I almost did not think about buffs, potions and strategy (I just used them).... Mass Effect 2 is an easy game, but the nature of the combat never allowed me to just sort of block out what I was doing if I was playing on Insanity.

Also I have a total of 130 hours on Mass 2, and WAY over 300 on BG2...so that might have something to do with it...

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.