Broken Age - New Double Fine Adventure Game Project on Kickstarter

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
re: Broken Age - New Double Fine Adventure Game Project on Kickstarter

Just saw this comment on Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...omment-5660240
Fyi, I hadn't been receiving e-mails from Humble when trying to resend keys (which I've been doing every couple hours) but after resending keys again just now an email arrived instantly with the key! Looks like Humble is no longer backed up. So for those still waiting on an e-mail try resending keys again and you may finally get your key.
Old 01-28-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Broken Age is releasing on Steam today:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/232790/

Only Act 1 is available now, with the concluding Act 2 coming as a free update later in the year.

Reviews:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/15/530...ken-age-review
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/...e-act-i-review
http://www.destructoid.com/review-br...1-269349.phtml
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/broken-age-act-1
Old 01-28-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by shizawn
One thing I don't like is the inventory system. I found myself clicking on an item to use it instead of dragging it. Clicking it brings up an explanation of the item, sometimes with some associated animation, which becomes annoying if when you keep accidentally clicking, particularly if there's a timed puzzle. Just something I have to get used to.
A recent game update added the ability to click-to-use in addition to the click-drag already in the game. Haven't tried it yet, but if it works, then that addresses the one issue I had with the interface.
Old 01-28-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A recent game update added the ability to click-to-use in addition to the click-drag already in the game. Haven't tried it yet, but if it works, then that addresses the one issue I had with the interface.
Yeah, an update added it. It apparently was enabled by default in my game. clicking on an item in inventory "picks it up" and you can drag it around the screen without holding the button down, then click again to have it interact with something. Examining an item in inventory now requires clicking once on the item in inventory, then clicking again before dragging it out of inventory (or onto another item).
Old 01-29-14, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Duran
I just started Shay's side. WTF? I've only played the first few minutes or so, but this is what has taken so long? I'll give it a go, but so far I am not impressed.

I realize I'm not far enough in for a final judgment, but in my experience the best games I've played often wowed me from the get-go. This looked like an indie developer's game that I got as a bonus on one of those bundles.
Completed Act 1 after around 4 hours. My overall impression is that it's an ok game, but nothing special. Most of the puzzles were not all that inspiring and the story, what we've seen, just hasn't grabbed me.
Finally finished Act 1. Finished Vella last week, and finally finished Shay's story tonight. I think i've been spoiled by Telltale's recent work, as I wasn't that impressed either. I think if it wasn't for Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us I would have been more excited for this sort of more straightforward point and click adventure. The quirky art style grew on me eventually, but the story of both characters and the world's they are in just wasn't very interesting to me, nor did I feel either environment was set up very well. Puzzles were a little too simple and straightforward, but still somewhat enjoyable.

I do have to say the overall production values and voice acting were great. And the end of the act most certainly got me interested in what happens next. Not great, but not terrible either for the $15 I paid to back it.
Old 01-29-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duran
I just started Shay's side. WTF? I've only played the first few minutes or so, but this is what has taken so long? I'll give it a go, but so far I am not impressed.

I realize I'm not far enough in for a final judgment, but in my experience the best games I've played often wowed me from the get-go. This looked like an indie developer's game that I got as a bonus on one of those bundles.
I've since played a lot more of it, finishing Shay's side and getting what I assume is fairly far in Vella's. Vella's story is far superior to Shay's, so that's good. It still lacks enough story context, and the puzzles are a joke. This is not what I would consider a classic adventure game.

The art and voices are well done, however, although I think money would have been better spent on puzzles and story vs. the voice talent. Some of the transitions, especially on Shay's side in the beginning, were simply terrible and frankly looked like bugs.

I expected better.
Old 02-13-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those who care, Double Fine has released the DRM-free version of Act 1. Backers can access it via their Humble account, while others can buy the DRM-free version here:
http://brokenagegame.com/buy/

The soundtrack is also available for purchase separately, in addition to the Steam and DRM-free bundle options:
http://doublefine.bandcamp.com/album...nal-soundtrack

They're still working on a way to offer the documentary for purchase for anyone who missed out on the Kickstarter or slacker backer options.
Old 02-13-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this coming to consoles?
Old 02-13-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Is this coming to consoles?
It's being exclusively released on the OUYA console.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/doubl...launch/0110537

It's likely a timed exclusive, so expect to see it on other consoles a while after the OUYA launch. The OUYA and iOS/Android versions haven't been released yet, I think they're waiting until they've finished the complete version before releasing on those platforms.

Last edited by Jay G.; 04-11-14 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-11-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those who missed backing the game, the documentary series is now available for purchase from their site:
http://brokenagegame.com/buy/

You can either get just the documentary, or get it bundled with the game or game + soundtrack.
Old 06-12-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Act 1 of the game was just released for iPad for $9.99:
https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id887649233

Note that this is just Act 1 of the game; Act 2 will be made available via an in-app purchase.

Meanwhile, a Season Pass of the full game has been made available on the Mac Store for $24.99:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/broken-age/id621712754
Old 07-11-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The latest video update came out a couple days ago. It was a bit on the depressing side as the team was trying their best to hide some disappointment that Broken Age wasn't a runaway success.

Looks like they're shooting for a December release for Act 2.
Old 11-30-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An update to the Double Fine forums indicates that they're working to get to Alpha by the end of the year, with a final release sometime early next year. The second act does appear to be longer than the first, with their estimates taking between 8-12 hours to complete.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/15863/
Old 11-30-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The latest video update came out a couple days ago. It was a bit on the depressing side as the team was trying their best to hide some disappointment that Broken Age wasn't a runaway success.
Missed this earlier... but I hope they're as disappointed I was while actually playing Broken Age.
Old 01-09-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The latest documentary episode puts the release of Act 2 in April 2015. It will be released on all platforms simultaneously, as well as receiving a retail release of the PC version (Windows/Mac/Linux). German VO for the game is also being recorded as part of the retail release deal.

The game is also coming out for PS4 & Vita, with Cross-Buy, Cross-Save, & trophies. This should be out in April as well.

They were aiming for a December release, but issues with scheduling one of the VO actors due to a family emergency meant pushing back a lot of the cut scenes. The retail release also adds 3 weeks to the release schedule, since the retail distributor need 3 weeks to turnaround and distribute, and retail and digital will release simultaneously.
Old 02-19-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Broken Age - New Double Fine Adventure Game Project on Kickstarter

Video announcement on Youtube:

http://youtu.be/mnY0TdkXZwI

And for the video-averse, a summary:
  • All dialog is written
  • All English voice is recorded
  • All German voice is recorded
  • All dialog and voice is implemented
  • PlayStation 4 and Vita are up and running
  • Gameplay programming is locked
  • External QA testing has begun
  • Nordic Games retail box art by Cory Schmitz is done, looks awesome, and is at the printers.
Old 03-07-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For anyone who didn't buy in on the game early enough to get the documentary videos, Double Fine has started posting them publically on their Youtube channel. They have the first 4 episodes up right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVwg...-WKk3D&index=2

You can also buy downloads of the entire documentary series, including future episodes, for $10 here:
https://doublefineadventure.vhx.tv/buy

I think there will be at least one more episode, covering the finishing and release of Part 2 of the game.
Old 03-10-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I really want to bash the charging of $10 for a documentary for this mediocre and disappointing game.
Old 03-10-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I really want to bash the charging of $10 for a documentary for this mediocre and disappointing game.
Aside from what you think of the game, the documentary is great. And you don't have to pay $10 to watch the documentary; as I mentioned, they're releasing the episodes for free on Youtube.

The episodes are being released every Tuesday and Thursday on Youtube. They're currently up to episode 4, and episode 5 should be posted today.
Old 03-10-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Doesn't change the fact that they're charging $10 for it. I like Double Fine overall, but you really seem to like defending everything they do.

Last edited by fumanstan; 03-10-15 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-10-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't change the fact that they're charging $10 for it.
A lot of musicians charge around $10 for downloads of their soundtrack albums for games. Also, keep in mind that the documentary was produced by an outside company, 2 Player Productions, which is presumably the company getting most, if not all, of the money from the documentary sales, and likely gets zero money from games sales.

Other 2 Player Production videos include the Minecraft documentary, which sells for $10:
http://www.gog.com/movie/minecraft_t...deluxe_edition

You can also buy the documentary in conjunction with the game for a discounted "combo" price:
http://www.brokenagegame.com/buy/

Really, it just sounds like you want to bash it because you don't like the game it covers. You haven't really given a reason why the price for the downloadable version of a documentary you can otherwise watch for free on Youtube is so unreasonable.
Old 03-10-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Double Fine overall, but you really seem to like defending everything they do.
*ahem*

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I will say that designing a game 4x bigger than expected is pretty bad.
Personally, I'll wait for the finished project before funding another Double Fine adventure game. I didn't back Massive Chalice, because that game genre doesn't interest me much. If Broken Age is a quality game, then I'd be interested in another one from them, but I hope they would address upfront some of the issues Broken Age faced and how they plan to address them in the new game.
Old 03-10-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Really, it just sounds like you want to bash it because you don't like the game it covers. You haven't really given a reason why the price for the downloadable version of a documentary you can otherwise watch for free on Youtube is so unreasonable.
There's little reason to charge for something you're otherwise giving away for free, short of just wanting/needing more money. Sorry, but to generate $3 million dollars to work on a game, delay it multiple times, split it in two parts, ask for more money, delay it again, etc... the management of this Kickstarter has been atrocious.

And i'm not bashing it because of the game (which was ok, just bland), i'm bashing the execution of the whole project and still trying to get more money out of it.

Sorry, but you can continue to defend it all you want as you have been for the last 2 years, but to me it's been practically a train wreck in execution.

Last edited by fumanstan; 03-10-15 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-10-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

*ahem*
I guess you conveniently ignored the rest of your posts from that time, defending the increase in scope, cost, and time. Or are you taking my "defending everything" comment completely literally?
Old 03-10-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's little reason to charge for something you're otherwise giving away for free, short of just wanting/needing more money...
What's wrong with wanting more money? Game developers don't charge for a game up until the moment it breaks even and then just say, "okay, it's free now." They typically charge for the game as long as they exist as a company, since any additional revenue can go towards future games.

People often charge for something they're otherwise giving away for free. Webcomics often release book versions they charge for, even though their entire archives are often online for free. TV shows charge for downloads/DVD/Blu-rays even though they may air for free on broadcast networks. Another 2 player production, Penny Arcade TV Season 1, is both available for free on Youtube and as a DVD set to buy.
http://store.penny-arcade.com/produc...s-season-1-dvd

I'm fine with people criticizing the game and the studio. I understand enjoyment of a game is entirely subjective. However, your criticism of the ability to buy the documentary is based on some pretty faulty logic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.