Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Could there really be no next-gen system from either Sony or Microsoft?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Could there really be no next-gen system from either Sony or Microsoft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Could there really be no next-gen system from either Sony or Microsoft?

A big reason why those old games were more expensive was the cartridge format, especially for the RPGs that needed lots of space but sold in lower numbers. Developers flocked to the PlayStation because the CDs were much cheaper to produce.

But these days, so much goes into the cost, like much bigger development budgets.
Old 02-04-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah. Then Sony and Microsoft are failures. Gotcha.
Old 02-04-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
A big reason why those old games were more expensive was the cartridge format, especially for the RPGs that needed lots of space but sold in lower numbers. Developers flocked to the PlayStation because the CDs were much cheaper to produce.

But these days, so much goes into the cost, like much bigger development budgets.
That's Jevon's paradox for you!
Old 02-04-12, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Lack of third party support? Go into any Walmart and there's a pile of shitty third party Wii games a mile high.
I said

On the other hand, Nintendo hasn't had good support from third parties in a long time.
You missed the keyword: good

Originally Posted by Superboy
Ah. Then Sony and Microsoft are failures. Gotcha.
Where are you getting this from?

Sony and MS are different situations. Its high volume vs low volume. Wal-mart has a low per unit profit margin on the items it sells, so it has to sell a high volume to make a decent profit. A luxury store like a jewelry store for example has a much higher per unit profit margin, so it can make the same profit selling a much lower volume. Sony and MS are high volume, and Nintendo is lower volume. Nintendo's per unit profit margin on each console sold is much higher than Sony and MS, so Nintendo doesn't need to sell nearly as many units. They are still all making a profit though.
Old 02-04-12, 03:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I never see the good in anything.
Old 02-04-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Nintendo's per unit profit margin on each console sold is much higher than Sony and MS, so Nintendo doesn't need to sell nearly as many units. They are still all making a profit though.
The Wii has sold more units than either PS3 or 360:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ales_standings

Nintendo also always makes a profit on their console sales, while Sony and MS sell their consoles at a loss at launch, hoping for game sales and licensing to make up for the loss.
Old 02-04-12, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The Wii has sold more units than either PS3 or 360:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ales_standings

Nintendo also always makes a profit on their console sales, while Sony and MS sell their consoles at a loss at launch, hoping for game sales and licensing to make up for the loss.
True about the Wii. I was talking more about past Nintendo consoles like the N64 or Gamecube, which some people view as failures. While they did not sell as well as their competitors, they were still profitable and therefore still a success.

Yes, Sony and MS use their consoles as loss leaders to get people to buy software, which is more profitable. Sega was the same way, and it didn't work out for them. If a console sells poorly like it did with Sega consoles, software will sell poorly as well. High console sales directly translates to high software sales. So Sega was not profitable, and that's why they failed.
Old 02-04-12, 04:47 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Miss the point much?

Prior to the 360 the SRP of the vast majority of games were $49.99. Were there games that ran more? Of course, there's an exception for everything. Hell I paid $90 or whatever ridiculous amount SFII was on the SNES. Outside of the rare cartridge pricing, games have basically been $50 since the NES and up until the 360 launched.

If you were on the net in 2005 when the $10 hike went into effect, it was bitched about relentlessly. It was a big deal when it happened so much so that it became a big deal when the Wii launched and kept the $50 SRP.

Same goes for special editions. Sure there were some here and there on mostly niche titles, but none that were such a resounding success that Halo 2 was. They proved that people were willing to pay a $20 premium for mostly useless junk.
Inflation for one thing. Different type of media used. The amount of people working on each game etc.
Old 02-04-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do people still think Digital Distribution only is a viable option for the next gen?
Old 02-04-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

People never bother adjusting for inflation...
So lets scale it back some, instead of multiple generations where inflation can clearly distort the numbers, how about a single minute...

At 11:59pm on November 21, 2005 games cost $49.99 and at 12:00am on November 22, 2005 they now cost $59.99. Is that not a price increase?

That's some crazy ass inflation for :60 seconds of time.
Old 02-04-12, 10:34 PM
Banned

So lets scale it back some, instead of multiple generations where inflation can clearly distort the numbers, how about a single minute...

At 11:59pm on November 21, 2005 games cost $49.99 and at 12:00am on November 22, 2005 they now cost $59.99. Is that not a price increase?

That's some crazy ass inflation for :60 seconds of time.

Games were simply catching up to inflation. Every year they remained at $50, they were actually decreasing in real dollar value. The price hike to $60 was just them catching up to inflation.

In 1985, $50 had the same buying power as $99 today. Those were some expensive games... Although I can't remember far enough back to remember if NES games were actually $50. As a kid I didn't pay attention to trivial things like price tags.

In 1992, the year of the SNES, $50 has the same buying power as $76 today. SNES games were more expensive than today's games.

In 1996, the PS1/N64 era, $50 has the same buying power as $68 today. Still more expensive than today's games.

In 2001, PS2/XBox era, $50 has the same buying power as $61 today. Its at this point that the price of today's games begin to match older games.

In 2005, $50 has the same buying power as $55 today. That's the cheapest games have ever been.

Nominal values (i.e. the price tag that you actually see) are misleading. Only for a few years from about 2002-2005 has the real value of video games ever been below $60.
Old 02-04-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm guessing this won't be too popular, but would cloud-base gaming work in the future on consoles if we had enough bandwidth?

You can try out a few games here on your Mac or PC: http://www.gaikai.com/games
Old 02-05-12, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought SNES games were around $60-$70 range. I remember them being really expensive.
Old 02-05-12, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I thought SNES games were around $60-$70 range. I remember them being really expensive.
It depended on the game. Some were $50, and others were higher.

I think the reason why people discount inflation for games is because they're putting them in the same category as other tech products. Many tech products get cheaper or stay stable over time, while becoming more and more advanced.
Old 02-05-12, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unless they are dropping a ton on R&D for a new format, I think some form of BD is a forgone conclusion.
It's actually not as difficult as you think. There have been several systems that have used proprietary formats. I can't really say more, except that Blu-ray isn't their only solution.
Old 02-05-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Inflation for one thing. Different type of media used. The amount of people working on each game etc.

That itself is hardly mentioned. If anyone has a old PC game from 10+ years ago look at the list of credits showing the amount of people who worked on the game. Compare that today and it's like watching the credits at the end of some mega sci-fi movie. I've got the original Unreal Tournament pc game and it's a hoot to see how short the list of people who did the game.
Old 02-05-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

People never bother adjusting for inflation...

A dollar in 1990 certainly is not the same as a dollar today. The Time Value of Money 101.

Adjusted for inflation a $50 game in 1990 would be $82 today. That's more expensive than games today...

The Atari 2600 launched in 1977 at $199. That would be $707 today, more expensive than even what the PS3 launched at.

People that say video games have increased in price don't really know what they are talking about.

Valid point.

However, when the average non-gaming parent is looking at a $60 price tag on a game or a $199+ tag(s) on a console in 2012 when the economy is "tough"....all he/she sees is $60 for a GAME $199+ for a console. They'll still buy them but still...

I go all the way back to Atari 2600 and even still, when I paid $59 plus tax for my first XBOX 360 game is was a huge eye opening, but still understandable, experience. One that led me straight to the used game market.
Old 02-05-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

You guys are comparing inflationary prices from the Atari, Super NES, and other times...have you overlooked the QUALITY of the games when they jumped to $60? C'mon, Halo was amazing for it's time, and I personally didn't feel $60 was too much to pay for that game...and Oblivion, and, and, and...
Old 02-05-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Microsoft raised the standard game price because they wanted higher licensing revenue. Let's not forget that.
Old 02-05-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
You guys are comparing inflationary prices from the Atari, Super NES, and other times...have you overlooked the QUALITY of the games when they jumped to $60? C'mon, Halo was amazing for it's time, and I personally didn't feel $60 was too much to pay for that game...and Oblivion, and, and, and...
I think the quality of games now are just as good as back then.
Old 02-05-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The whole price thing is kind of moot. IF you have any kind of patience you can wait for 1 week after it's released and 90% of games will be on sale or selling for 50.
Old 02-05-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by glassdragon
The whole price thing is kind of moot. IF you have any kind of patience you can wait for 1 week after it's released and 90% of games will be on sale or selling for 50.
This. Hell, if you're patient, wait a month or two and the game will be at $39.

Or you pre-order off Amazon and collect promotional credits for future titles. I walked away with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 on release date for $11 due to my pre-orders of Gears of War 3 and Battlefield 3.

Microsoft and Sony both said that the 360 and PS3 were "ten-year consoles." If neither the 720 or PS4 are announced this year (which I will be surprised with), I will expect a 2013 announcement with a release by the end of the year or 2014. Seriously. Other than an announcement, what else have we seen come out of the Wii U?
Old 02-05-12, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000

Oh good grief. You seriously believe nothing from the 80s and 90s had the same or better quality than games today? Seriously? Are you 15 and never even played games back then, because it sure sounds like it. Especially the Halo comment. Halo was revolutionary for consoles, but it was nothing that hadn't already been done and done better on PCs.
Old 02-05-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Microsoft raised the standard game price because they wanted higher licensing revenue. Let's not forget that.
That's all I've been trying to get at and it gets ignored for inflation defense talk and "random [cartridge] games have been priced higher" analogies. All I can gather is some folks weren't following gaming on the net in '05, because it was a big deal at the time.

Oh well.
Old 02-05-12, 08:24 PM
Banned

It was only a big deal to people that don't understand inflation. Seriously. Games had remained a constant $50 for nearly two decades. So of course the price tag was bound to go up sooner or later merely because of inflation. $50 two decades ago is not even close to being the same thing as $50 now. People that don't understand that have evidently never taken a business or economics course in their life.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.