Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you think was the greatest advancement in video games this generation?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What do you think was the greatest advancement in video games this generation?

Old 01-30-12, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 197 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: What do you think was the greatest advancement in video games this generation?

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
^ too little too late. It also came out no long before the 360, so it kinda goes under this gen.
The Gamecube came out 11/01. The Wavebird came out six months later. That's 3.5 years before the 360.

So no, it doesn't fall under this gen. The Wavebird was in a class of it's own.
Old 01-30-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What do you think was the greatest advancement in video games this generation?

When did the first xbox wireless controllers come out? Seems like I had a few of those, though they were pretty crappy 3rd party ones.
Old 01-30-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

MS didn't make one until the 360.
Old 01-30-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
They essentially revived that arcade leaderboard mentality which had been missing for at least a decade.
So it's another innovation that fits under the online capabilities umbrella?
Old 01-30-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Since it seems like everyone is going with Achievements, Iím going to go in a new direction and say online connectivity. The original PS2 required an additional add on and the first X Box wasnít nearly set up for anything other than simple online matchmaking. With the new systems we have online stores, bigger hard drives to purchase games online, lobby systems, extensive friend systems and so on.
I agree 100%. Without the assumption that the majority of their customers would have persistent internet connections, achievements wouldn't have been integrated like they have been. The implementation of DLC, arcade games, digital distribution of retail games and so many other things I love about the current generation is all made possible by internet connections.
Old 01-30-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I assume that slop meant that wireless controllers were standard. The NES had a 3rd party wireless controller.
Old 01-30-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 314 Likes on 241 Posts

The wavebird was a first party wireless controller, though.
Old 01-30-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd speculate that we'd still be tethered this gen if it weren't for the Wavebird.
Old 01-30-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 754 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
I agree 100%. Without the assumption that the majority of their customers would have persistent internet connections, achievements wouldn't have been integrated like they have been. The implementation of DLC, arcade games, digital distribution of retail games and so many other things I love about the current generation is all made possible by internet connections.
Internet connectivity, better graphics, wireless controllers and even motion controls were all evolutionary changes. All were present before this gen (heck, I had a Microsoft gyroscopic controller to play a motorcycle game on the PC last century). I picked Achievements since they were a completely new concept : In-game rewards for doing different things in-game during gameplay that add to an aggregate score associated with your gamertag. I didn't get the appeal at first (and many still don't), but it's undeniable that this concept and its execution was really the biggest innovation, I think it lead to the most permanent change in gaming this generation.
Old 01-30-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The wavebird was a first party wireless controller, though.
Sure, but it wasn't packed in. This is the first generation where wireless controllers were packed in w/ the majority of all 3 systems (I think that some of the core 360s came w/ wired).
Old 01-30-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I picked Achievements since they were a completely new concept : In-game rewards for doing different things in-game during gameplay that add to an aggregate score associated with your gamertag. I didn't get the appeal at first (and many still don't), but it's undeniable that this concept and its execution was really the biggest innovation, I think it lead to the most permanent change in gaming this generation.
Achievements are not a new concept. The Ratchet and Clank games started doing achievments on the PS2.
Old 01-30-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll go against the grain here and say DLC. Its really changed the market imho. Thanks to it we have to deal with endless game of the year editions, not having the entire game via physical media, etc.
Old 01-30-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Internet connectivity, better graphics, wireless controllers and even motion controls were all evolutionary changes. All were present before this gen (heck, I had a Microsoft gyroscopic controller to play a motorcycle game on the PC last century). I picked Achievements since they were a completely new concept : In-game rewards for doing different things in-game during gameplay that add to an aggregate score associated with your gamertag. I didn't get the appeal at first (and many still don't), but it's undeniable that this concept and its execution was really the biggest innovation, I think it lead to the most permanent change in gaming this generation.
You could argue that everything about this generation of consoles is evolutionary. In game rewards for achieving certain goals had been done before. It is more productive to think about the question as what things that are new in terms of wide spread implementation.
Old 01-30-12, 02:01 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Bloom
Old 01-30-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The amount of quality games criticism that's developed since the mid-2000s.
Old 01-30-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll go with the public acceptance of the online experience. Without the online communities growing on the consoles there would be no achievements, no online leaderboards, no acceptance of online DLC, no online stores, no growth of multiplayer. Yes the PC has had all this but the ease of the online experience with consoles this genration has made all these other things a possibility.
Old 01-30-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wireless controllers is a good one. I remember I had I think about 2 different kinds for Genesis and PS2 and they both sucked bad. It wasn't until Xbox came around and got it right.

Achievements are a big thing but I think it's only a portion of the whole online profile thing that really changed everything. Now I'm really hoping with the new Xbox system that I can keep my gamertag and my gamerscore. I don't want to lose all that information.
Old 01-30-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm a total achievement whore so I'll go with that. Some may consider them to be useless but can't you use achievement points to unlock DLC on the 360? That's pretty awesome.
Old 01-30-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
can't you use achievement points to unlock DLC on the 360?
No. They are 100% worthless.
Old 01-30-12, 02:42 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I'm a total achievement whore so I'll go with that. Some may consider them to be useless but can't you use achievement points to unlock DLC on the 360? That's pretty awesome.
your not that good of a whore....lol

I also think a great advancement is you will never see red used to show a problem with future systems...I hate red

Old 01-30-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

No. They are 100% worthless.
Oh, I don't have a 360, I'm not sure where I got that impression. I do go out of my way to get achievements on PC games and trophies on my PS3. I got the platinum trophy for RE5, which was a game that disappointed me. I never would have touched it after beating it if it wasn't for trophies.
Old 01-30-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to say digital distribution in general. Even though it may have originated prior with PC shareware and XBLA on the original Xbox, this was the generation when it became more organized (through Steam and console stores) and took off. The market had gotten to the point where it was generally expected that you have to provide a big budget, long game and sell it for $50 or more. DD allowed developers (and small developers) to make smaller games but still reach a wide audience, which fostered a comeback of 2D and more experimental fare, and it led to DLC as opposed to retail expansion packs. It also ushered in the episodic model, which I don't like but I have to acknowledge, and changed the way legacy titles are distributed.
Old 01-30-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Bloom
HDR
Old 01-30-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few things come to mind for me:

1) Achievements - No getting around this. We all like to brag and we all like to be rewarded for doing cool stuff. Getting 1000/1000 on COD4 is still one of my proudest gaming "achievements." This definitely helped reshape gaming.

2) Online connectivity - Buddy Lists, Current Playing, and now Beacons. I can't tell you how many times I've gone and just looked at what my friends have played lately.

3) DLC - Love it or hate it, it made "expansions" financially feasible.

4) With that, a loss of rarity - I remember having to search around to half a dozen stores to find rare games back in the day. Now almost every game is "on demand." Other than imports and such, almost nothing is hard to find anymore.

5) A shift away from strictly gaming - I use my 360 more as a Netflix player than as a gaming system. I use my PS3 more as a Blu-Ray player than as a gaming system. I use my Wii more as a dust collector than a gaming system.
Old 01-30-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 754 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by lordwow View Post
A few things come to mind for me:

5) A shift away from strictly gaming - I use my 360 more as a Netflix player than as a gaming system. I use my PS3 more as a Blu-Ray player than as a gaming system. I use my Wii more as a dust collector than a gaming system.
Good point. I hadn't thought of the media streaming applications provided by the current gen systems.

And FYI : If you unplug it, the Wii makes a stylish, futuristic paperweight.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.