Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which video game controllers are your favorite?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-12, 12:20 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Considering the many different video game controllers that have been made for console systems, and how radically different some of them are, over time most people have developed a preference for certain controllers.

Right now my favorites are the Xbox 360 and Wii Remote controllers. As for past systems, some of my favorites include the Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 and PlayStation DualShock controllers.

What are some of your favorite controllers?
Old 01-30-12, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which video game controllers are your favorite?

Perfection.

Old 01-30-12, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
Perfection.

* assuming you have small hands, never play FPS games and like to play driving games with all-or-nothing gas and brake controls.
Old 01-30-12, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The 360 controller is the best i've ever used. Just fantastic all around.

I've also liked Microsoft hardware, the original Sidewinder gamepad for PC was wonderful.
Old 01-30-12, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

XBOX 360 Controller.

Sony's controller was a huge reason why I never got totally stoked about the PS3.
Old 01-30-12, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Xbox 360 controller. I find it very difficult to use the PS3 controller anymore now that I'm used to the better one.
Old 01-30-12, 04:14 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The 360 controller is the best i've ever used. Just fantastic all around.
+1

Totally agree. Love the 360 controller.

I hate the PS3 controller. My hands are aching after about 30 minutes. The only time I'll game on a PS3 is when it's an exclusive title and I absolutely have to play it.
Old 01-30-12, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Ooh, my favorite debate rears it's head again.

The Best:

#1 Xbox 360: ergonomic in shape and placement of analogs. Excellent triggers, decent weight, introduced the "guide button" and more. It's going to be hard to supplant this one.

Runner-up: Wavebird/Gamecube - I found this to be even more comfortable than the 360 pad, but gets dings for non-standard things like the second analog, 3 bean buttons and only a single bumper button. Despite the batteries, it was amazingly lightweight and just disappeared into your hands.

The absolute worst:

#1 Dreamcast: for as much nostalgic love this system gets, it doesn't get enough shit for the absolute horrid controller design. I'd take the Power-Glove over this carpal tunnel inducing piece of vomit. The cord coming out the bottom was just icing on the cake.

Runner-up: Playstation Dual Shock: Horribly uncomfortable, terrible analog placement and even worse triggers. There's a reason why companies innovate the controller each generation... to improve on it's faults. The Dual Shock was decent (not great) in 1997... in 2012? Sony should be ashamed of themselves. It only gets worse the longer they stick with such an outdated design. Also, X, Circle, Triange, Square... WTF was wrong with A, B, X, Y which is pretty much standard. Marketing decisions shouldn't dictate controller design. Why people stand by the DS boggles the mind.

Show me someone who prefers the Dual Shock over the 360 pad and I'll show you someone who doesn't game regularly a 360.
Old 01-30-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually kind of liked the dreamcast remote. Even though it was huge, it was pretty comfortable for me.

My worst controller, while kind of cheating, was the GBA. Loved the games on that little thing, but my hands would cramp up pretty fast on that.

But yeah, the 360 is my favorite too. I just wish they would bring the black and white buttons back.
Old 01-30-12, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best
1. Xbox 360 - so used to it now and appreciate how much it has helped me play most of my favorite games. What a controller should be.
2. Sega Genesis - Had to go with one oldie but goodies. Classic d-pad, classic three buttons (or six if you had one of the fighter ones), and everything responded great. Never had an issue.
3. Playstation 2 - it gets flack, but I always loved the d-pad and button placement.
HM: NES (the only time they had a good controller).

Worst
1. Nintendo 64 - Seriously, what were they trying to do with the thing? Jam enough crap on it and hope some of it worked?
2. Xbox - The system was the start of something great, but the controller sure wasn't. One of the huge reasons why I wish the 360 had even better backward compatibilty.
3. Atari Jaguar - Was this for a video game console or a spaceship? Awkard as heck.
HM: Wii (yes, I went there).
Old 01-30-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Xbox 360 controller. I find it very difficult to use the PS3 controller anymore now that I'm used to the better one.
+1. I still don't know what the hell Sony was thinking with the new L2 and R2 buttons. They seem worse then they were on the PS2.

And I finally ordered one of the new 360 controllers this morning with the new d pad. Excited to try it out with Mortal Kombat and the new SSX coming out.
Old 01-30-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For 2d games: Wii Classic Controller Pro (which I also use on my PC, via an adapter).

For 3d games: mouse and keyboard.
Old 01-30-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Favorite (I think I got lucky in that mine still works right)

Worst of the current:

Worst overall:
Old 01-30-12, 09:06 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

360 controller was the first controller that I actually ended up enjoying more than a mouse/keyboard...

Sega controller second...classic...
Old 01-30-12, 09:07 AM

Man, that Jaguar one looks ugly. Did anyone own one of those? How often did you need to use the keypad? Was it as uncomfortable to hold as it looks?

Speaking of uncomfortable, how many of you used a "Duke" for the XBOX? That thing was ridiculous, it felt like holding a sourdough loaf in you hands instead of a controller. I have no idea how a research team at Microsoft thought that was a good idea. The joke was that the focus group they tested it on must have been an NBA team.
What a difference the revision made.
Old 01-30-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Obligatory Penny Arcade strip:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/03/25
Old 01-30-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Decker
* assuming you have small hands, never play FPS games and like to play driving games with all-or-nothing gas and brake controls.
I've been using the DS controller for more than 10 years now and never have had issues controlling any games I've played and I have big hands.

I've used many different game controllers over the past 30 years and there isn't one that stands out as my favorite or the "best". They all have their flaws. Probably the most uncomfortable controller I ever used was the Dreamcast one.
Old 01-30-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

DualShock 3 with the real trigger extension things is by far the best controller for me.

Hate the 360 controller. it is the reason why I dont have the system. It is way too big and I despise offset sticks. Terrible design and feel for me.
Old 01-30-12, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Unclejosh

Hate the 360 controller. it is the reason why I dont have the system. It is way too big and I despise offset sticks. Terrible design and feel for me.
source

Dimensions

Contrary to popular belief, both the PS3 dualshock 3 (DS3) and the Xbox 360 gamepad are quite similar in size. With both controllers laid out, the dimensions of the controllers are roughly 6 x 3.5 x 2 inches. There is a misconception that the Xbox 360 controller is bigger than the PS3 controller which is false. The Xbox 360 controller however does have slightly more girth around the handle area causing you to cradle the controller instead of grasping it like the DS3.
Old 01-30-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Some people just aren't used to holding that girth.
Old 01-30-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The reason I hate Sony's DS controller is that it feels like I'm holding two eggs that are about to slip out of my hands - also, it's analog sticks SUCK; they're convex, constantly causing my thumbs to slip off and they have absolutely no tension or resistance at all. I do like it's digital pad and face buttons though.

This is the best controller ever made:
Originally Posted by RichC2
Favorite (I think I got lucky in that mine still works right)
Mine still works right too - I never heard of any issues with it - what were they?
Old 01-30-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I prefer the PS3 controller for games that I don't use sticks for like Street Fighter or any other fighting game since the D-Pad on the 360 controller is a joke. I prefer the 360 controller for games where I need to use the sticks, like Fifa or NBA 2k.
I don't get why you have to have "small hands" to enjoy using the PS3 controller. I don't have hands like Shaq or anything,but I think I have decent sized hands. I can palm a basketball so I know my hands aren't small.

Originally Posted by Decker
Man, that Jaguar one looks ugly. Did anyone own one of those? How often did you need to use the keypad? Was it as uncomfortable to hold as it looks?
I still have my Jaguar tucked away in a closet somewhere. Though I can't comment on the controller because I haven't used the thing since it came out.

Last edited by Maxflier; 01-30-12 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-30-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Mine still works right too - I never heard of any issues with it - what were they?
The d-pad coming off. The twisty/springy tech underneath can cause it to pop off at random, whether you use it or not. I bought one right when it came out and haven't had any issues though.
Old 01-30-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Admittedly I've never played a single XBox 360 game, so I can't comment on the 360 controller.

I have large hands and I have no particular problems with the DS3, but I'm not a hardcore gamer either. I will admit that the supplemental trigger caps are well worth the few bucks they cost and make it more comfortable to use.

My all-time favorite is probably the Sega Genesis controller. Simple, responsive, and comfortable to use. Bonus points for working with the Atari 2600, since I always found the 2600 joystick to be clunky.

And for what it's worth, I personally really liked the N64 controller. Loose analog stick issues aside, it was pretty ergonomic and worked well with a variety of different game types. It's hard for me to imagine playing the THQ wrestling games with any other controller.
Old 01-30-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

coleco vision

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.