DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   If the Wii U only supports one Wii U controller, will you still buy one? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/598322-if-wii-u-only-supports-one-wii-u-controller-will-you-still-buy-one.html)

Sub-Zero 01-23-12 05:37 PM

If the Wii U only supports one Wii U controller, will you still buy one?

While Nintendo has still not officially stated whether or not the upcoming Wii U will support two Wii U controllers, there have been a lot of rumors stating that Nintendo is likely going to allow multiple Wii U controllers to be used at one time. However, if Nintendo announced that the Wii U will ultimately only support one Wii U controller, will you still be interested in buying one?

Chris_D 01-23-12 06:00 PM

Re: If the Wii U only supports one Wii U controller, will you still buy one?

Considering the Wii U tablet uses ageing DS touch screen technology that isn't scratch resistant and doesn't even support multitouch, well, whether there is one or two of them doesn't make much difference to me. So much for a next gen console.

Decker 01-23-12 06:19 PM

Yeah, this thread is useless without a "Wasn't going to get one regardless" option.
The Wii has been a total waste of my time and money. Well mostly money since I've spent so little time playing it since buying it. I'm not at all interested in getting another Nintendo home console for the one or two mildly entertaining games they put out annually.

edstein 01-23-12 06:28 PM

Not buying a Wii U this time around. My current Wii gets almost no game time as it is.

fumanstan 01-23-12 06:45 PM

Another person who probably isn't getting the Wii U regardless. I don't have much interest on a big screen on my controller.

Liver&Onions 01-23-12 07:41 PM

Michael Corvin 01-23-12 08:10 PM

:lol: Yeah, fool me once with a gimmicky controller...

No traditional controller means the WiiU will be a secondary console in 'core' gamers' lives, just like the previous 3. The GBA -> Gamecube stuff went over like a lead balloon. Dreamcast VMU? Yeah, not so hot either. Apparently Nintendo has to rely on gimmicks these days instead of creating a great traditional controller.

As for it only supporting one tablet, isn't that the least of the uphill battles this console faces? How about the PS2 quality online structure? Third party support? Friend codes? System capabilities compared to the 720 or PS4?

Too many 'core' gamers gave the Wii the benefit of the doubt the first couple years and ended up getting burned. Nintendo has a lot of goodwill to make up if they plan on wooing that demographic back.

foxdvd 01-23-12 08:14 PM

My wii is an expensive Zelda/Mario Galaxy player..and that is all...not going to get burnt again on the wii u

The Dude 01-23-12 08:24 PM

I'm actually going through a renaissance with the Wii right now (as a Zelda/Mario player, of course), but I have zero desire to buy a new console by them at this point.

Cory02 01-23-12 08:25 PM

Damn...I totally forgot about the Wii U until I saw this thread.

dvdsteve2000 01-23-12 08:29 PM

First it will be the Wii U...then 8 months later the Wii U Lite...then 8 months later the Wii Ui...then 8 months later the Wii UXL...then 8 months later the Wii 3D-U.

I'll pass om any future Nintendo products...BUT WAIT!!!!! You will be able to play Super Mario 3 on it!!!! :whofart:

maxfisher 01-23-12 08:54 PM

I don't have a much better opinion of the Wii than anyone else, but it's given me 2 Zeldas, 3 Marios and a Donkey Kong that I loved. Just counting those, it's basically like I've paid an extra $41 each to play them. I can live with that. And honestly, I also got a good deal of fun out of having people over with Wii Sports, Mario Kart & Boom Blox. I don't have high hopes for Wii U, but I'll pick up one at some point, just for exclusives. Though this time, I may wait a couple years for a console price drop and some of the AAA titles to be cheap used.

fumanstan 01-23-12 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000 (Post 11087673)
First it will be the Wii U...then 8 months later the Wii U Lite...then 8 months later the Wii Ui...then 8 months later the Wii UXL...then 8 months later the Wii 3D-U.

I'll pass om any future Nintendo products...BUT WAIT!!!!! You will be able to play Super Mario 3 on it!!!! :whofart:

I guess this would make sense if Nintendo had a habit of refreshing their home consoles?

Michael Corvin 01-23-12 09:16 PM

:lol: Yeah I didn't quite get that analogy either.

dvdsteve2000 01-23-12 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 11087697)
I guess this would make sense if Nintendo had a habit of refreshing their home consoles?

That's next. They've already sucked the handhelds dry, so they will follow suit with the console...or better yet, the 'controller'.

Chris_D 01-23-12 09:18 PM

By using such shitty out-of-date tech for the controller they are certainly leaving plenty of room for refreshes.

mattysemo247 01-23-12 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 11087501)
not buying a wii u this time around. My current wii gets almost no game time as it is.

+1

fumanstan 01-23-12 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000 (Post 11087724)
That's next. They've already sucked the handhelds dry, so they will follow suit with the console...or better yet, the 'controller'.

I don't see any reason to think so.

The controller I can see updates and improvements, just like there was a Wii Motion+ type thing.

pinata242 01-23-12 10:21 PM

I'm going to hate not playing the next Metroid. But not for that much money. I still never bothered to get Skyward Sword nor do I have a Wii Motion+ or whatever it's called. I checked out of the Wii thing about 3 years ago. Right about the time VC became a joke. Sadly, I have about 3 pages worth of games on there that are just lost forever because they're non-portable and I'm not hooking it back up. They should have honored that stuff on the DSi and beyond. I'm out.

Chris_D 01-23-12 10:25 PM

Yah, plus $5 for NES games never compared too favourably to Sony's pricing on PSN.

Groucho 01-23-12 10:26 PM

I'm holding off until they announce the next Animal Crossing...and then:

Decker 01-23-12 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 11087812)
I'm going to hate not playing the next Metroid. But not for that much money.

Um, did you play the last Metroid game? If you didn't, I assure you that you didn't miss out on much, besides frustration and disappointment.

pinata242 01-23-12 10:44 PM

MP3? I'm pretty sure, but now I'm questioning myself... Oh, you mean the Team Ninja one? Negative. Not even when it dropped to $5.

Liver&Onions 01-23-12 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 11087835)
MP3? I'm pretty sure, but now I'm questioning myself... Oh, you mean the Team Ninja one? Negative. Not even when it dropped to $5.

Your loss. 'Twas definitely worth $5.

pinata242 01-23-12 11:30 PM

Yet I endure.