Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

If the Wii U only supports one Wii U controller, will you still buy one?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Will you buy a Wii U if it only supports one Wii U controller?
Yes, I still want one.
52.63%
No, that is a deal breaker for me.
47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

If the Wii U only supports one Wii U controller, will you still buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: If the Wii U only supports one Wii U controller, will you still buy one?

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
It was a juggernaut, but it seems like the thrill is gone for many people.
I would include myself in that bunch. I've been a long time proponent of Nintendo, but I think I've finally reached my limit when it comes to buying a console, playing the latest Mario or Zelda game when it comes out and then watching it collect dust until the next big 1st party release. The Wii's motion controls were fun for things like Wii Sports, but by the time I finished Skyward Sword, I was just longing to play the game with a regular controller. The Wii U seems to be pushing even further towards the gimmick direction.
I'm still waiting to see what the launch lineup looks like and if they can come up with something to blow my mind, but the Wii U is shaping up to be the first Nintendo console I don't buy at launch since the SNES days and I was just too young to afford launch purchases back then.
Old 01-26-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
But that's not what I asked, was it?
What did you ask? All I think is that using outdated technology will have a negative impact on the WiiU. It probably won't impact sales, at least not initially, but once users have it home sitting next to their iPad etc. the deficiencies will be clear. I gather you think Nintendo's software experience will overcome this so this is the point we disagree on I suppose.

My gut feeling is that it will do okay, but will not replicate the Wii's success. But who knows--most people thought the Wii wouldn't be this huge juggernaut.
I think most third party software developers have a different impression of the Wii's "success".
Old 01-26-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_D
What did you ask? All I think is that using outdated technology will have a negative impact on the WiiU. It probably won't impact sales, at least not initially, but once users have it home sitting next to their iPad etc. the deficiencies will be clear. I gather you think Nintendo's software experience will overcome this so this is the point we disagree on I suppose.

I think most third party software developers have a different impression of the Wii's "success".
Outdated technology in the Wii didn't hurt

It's pretty safe to predict nothing will match the original Wii's success, but I get the feeling the appeal of all those mom's that thought it was cool has worn off just as it has with all us normal gamers.
Old 01-26-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I know the DS was a phenominal success as a handheld system, but was the secind screen really much of a gameplay success? I'm thinking back and can't think of many games that used it in a revolutionary way that was really any better than button inputs. Tapping for rhythm games, stylus steering sucked. using the stylus for aiming in FPS games was an unmitigated disaster. You could use it for typing words in word games and Scribblenauts, but a cursor would have worked just as well. There were some stylus mini-games in GTA Chinatown Wars, but nothing that was a big deal. Yoshi's Island 2 tried to incorporate gameplay into the two screens and just gave you an unplayable dead zone in the middle instead. It was more convenient for card games like Solitaire and for Seek & Find games, I guess...
I'm really trying to think of some huge reasons why the second screen was important and I can't come up with any right now.
Using it as a virtual analog stick in the Mario 64 port was also pretty horrible. I just don't like touchscreens for action games.

Brain Age used it pretty well though. Being able to write in the numbers on Sudoku was better than a D-pad/stick and buttons would have been.
Old 01-27-12, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Outdated technology in the Wii didn't hurt
Actually, the Wii's motion tech measured up very well against what the PS3 had at launch.
Old 01-27-12, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Actually, the Wii's motion tech measured up very well against what the PS3 had at launch.
And the rest of the hardware?
Old 01-27-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ubisoft seems to have done pretty well with the just dance series.
Old 01-27-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hardware was fine. It was the infrastructure (online play, friends, dlc, patches, drm, etc) that was well behind the times.

The topic of 480p vs HD for the Wii and its target market has been beat to death over the last 5 or 6 years.
Old 01-27-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
The hardware was fine. It was the infrastructure (online play, friends, dlc, patches, drm, etc) that was well behind the times.

The topic of 480p vs HD for the Wii and its target market has been beat to death over the last 5 or 6 years.
The hardware was fine, but that doesn't mean it wasn't outdated.

And this isn't specific to 480p vs HD either.
Old 01-27-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242

I think it's fair to note that the Wii started out being developed as a new peripheral for the Gamecube and at the end of the day, that's sort of what it was.
Old 01-27-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I've come to realize I don't want to play Mario or Zelda with motion controls. I'm sticking it out with Skyward Sword but I will never play through the game again. The Wii U will be the first non-handheld Nintendo console I don't own.
Old 01-27-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Motion control was the main feature of the Wii. Similarly, the tablet controller is the main feature of the WiiU.
Old 01-27-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Ubisoft seems to have done pretty well with the just dance series.
Pity about 90% of their other stuff. The exception that proves the rule.
Old 01-28-12, 10:04 AM

I'm not really sure why some people are complaining about the lack of multitouch support on the controller's screen. I don't know what that would be used for. I imagine the screen probably having an inventory or map display on it for most games. And it would just require a quick tap to select something. So it should work okay in that sense.

But I don't care about the controller that much. It's not something that will ever make you say "wow! I need to experience the game with that controller. It adds so much." It could be a slightly cool and useful thing for some games but we'll see. The thing they'll really be pushing is the ability to "play games" on the controller itself in case other people want to watch tv or whatever. But if the system only supported one controller, it wouldn't bother me very much. If I'm doing local multiplayer, I can let someone else use that controller and I could use a classic controller. I doubt I would buy extras anyway since they'll probably be pretty damn expensive and I already have a handful of Wii controllers sitting around that I could use instead.

And I might not even get the system. It depends on what they're doing with it. I'm mainly wanting to see if they're improving their online system or not. If it's more like the 360/PS3 where you just get your username and play all games on that one account and add friends to it and whatnot then I'll probably get it. If it's just another form of wii code nonsense then I'll pass.

If they're fixing the main issues that the Wii had then I'll be interested. Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong... if all of those games are bigger and better, it would be awesome. But they aren't going to sell many systems just because of a controller. And I don't know if transitioning their titles to HD is going to cut it either. They need to be focusing their gameplay on a regular controller in your hands, not motion control nonsense. They need a real online system. They need some decent internal storage and DLC for their games. Basically, if it can do what the PS3 and 360 already do and maybe even improve upon it a bit, I think it'll be great. But it's Nintendo so who knows if they'll implement stuff like that instead of just trying to be unique. I'll probably decide after E3. Alright, I'm done ranting now.
Old 01-28-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Motion control was the main feature of the Wii. Similarly, the tablet controller is the main feature of the WiiU.
Ok, ignoring the other parts of the hardware then, I agree with Tracer. As long as the controller does what Nintendo wants it to do, thats all that matters.