Reload this Page >

The Last of Us (PS3 and PS4)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Last of Us (PS3 and PS4)

Old 02-25-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
re: The Last of Us (PS3 and PS4)

ah, I can see that. thats a problem with any game with AI buddies. They had a few sequences with "protect Ellie" but you can't do that the whole game. Uncharted is like that too, and I just started GTAV, so far that I see its the same.
Old 02-25-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, in GTA V since you can switch characters, they die all the time if you don't take care of them. That was one of the big innovations.
Old 02-25-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3

I played in Normal.

My complain was more about Ellie, or any companion, being able to walk in front of any zombie without issue.
That wasn't a bad AI problem. That was a conscious decision by Naughty Dog because they wanted to avoid issues of you doing perfect stealth only to have your AI companions accidentally out you no matter how well you were playing. It's jarring at first but you accept it pretty quickly. And, if it makes you feel better, once you're spotted, the enemies also spot your AI companions if they are already out in the open.
Old 03-22-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

I am a little surprised no one has commented on this as far as the ending goes...

Spoiler:
there is shot of Ellie at the end where she looks at her bite and it is blistering. Making me think she is not immune after all.

I can't be the only one that noticed that.
Old 03-23-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I am a little surprised no one has commented on this as far as the ending goes...

Spoiler:
there is shot of Ellie at the end where she looks at her bite and it is blistering. Making me think she is not immune after all.

I can't be the only one that noticed that.
Not really sure what you're getting at...

Spoiler:
It was a fresh wound that healed up some later on. If she weren't immune, don't know how she'd still be unaffected during the events of the main game.
Old 03-23-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Spoiler:
Her bite simply looks like ia nasty scar as she probably never tended to it properly, assuming she was going to turn anyway.

That said, I guess d2cheer thinks she is turning at a much slower rate than everyone else. Basically, she's resistant to the effects of the virus but not actually immune. Would make for an interesting plot line for the sequel if Naughty Dog deciced to revisit Joel and Ellie, instead of telling a completely new story set in the same universe.
Old 03-28-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Not sure if this was brought up before, but Uncharted 3 teased Last of Us in this little easter egg:
(from the bar near the beginning of the game)

Which means Nate could very well be a zombie...
Old 04-09-14, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/9/5596...or-ps4-appears
Old 04-09-14, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I guess they're targeting 360 converts. I can't imagine paying full price for that again. I'd pay maybe $30, if my game save was portable so I could continue working on trophies.

Makes me think they're not as optomistic on Playstation NOW, since this was one of the games they were pimping hard at its announce.
Old 04-09-14, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been holding off on buying the DLC since I figured it would be included in the PS4 version. Now I'm waiting on a retail announcement and a $40 or less price tag. Hope it's not a downloadable only version.
Old 04-09-14, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Remember this whole port remastered games is nothing new:

Old 04-09-14, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83
Remember this whole port remastered games is nothing new:

Yeah, but those were multiple games, and in the case of All-Stars, a huge graphical upgrade, and an unreleased game. These days, ported remasters usually have negligible improvements made.
Old 04-09-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Some confirmation - http://kotaku.com/a-ps4-version-of-t...ion-1561228355

SCEA can confirm The Last of Us Remastered is coming to PS4, and we'll be sharing more details with you shortly.
Old 04-09-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Pre-orderable on Amazon, with cover art: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00JK00S0S/
Old 04-09-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Neil Druckmann @Neil_Druckmann
For those asking, @Naughty_Dog is developing The Last of Us Remastered and we're targeting 60fps. More info to come. #PS4
1:04 PM - 9 Apr 2014
Old 04-09-14, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/...pre-order-info

The Last of Us on PS4 will run in 1080p, "with a list of upgrades including higher resolution character models, improved shadows and lighting, upgraded textures, along with even more improvements." TLoU Remastered will also include a director's commentary for every in-game cinematic.

Additionally, The Last of Us Remastered comes with DLC, including the Left Behind single-player expansion, the Abandoned Territories multiplayer map pack, and the Reclaimed Territories map pack (more on the latter is promised soon).

Pre-ordering The Last of Us Remastered at a participating brick and mortar retailer, you will get 100 Supply Points for Factions mode, bonus skins for Joel and Ellie, increased crafting and healing speeds in the campaign, and increased reload speed and clip capacity for select weapons. Pre-ordering on the PlayStation Store will net players early access to the Brawler Survival Skill, additional loadout points, and some costume components, all for use in Factions Mode.
Old 04-09-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I have the original, unopened and unplayed. We've moved the PS3 into my son's room and I've got the PS4 hooked up to the main TV. I would LOVE it if they did the $10 upgrade but that's probably a pipe dream at this point.
Old 04-09-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
I have the original, unopened and unplayed. We've moved the PS3 into my son's room and I've got the PS4 hooked up to the main TV. I would LOVE it if they did the $10 upgrade but that's probably a pipe dream at this point.
Not going to happen. Since Naughty Dog has to go back and rewrite all the code, it's costing them more than games like Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts which had all their variations in development at the same time.

The same thing will happen with Grand Theft Auto V... which is just awaiting Rockstar to finally pull the trigger as the work on it is more than 90% done.

This summer is going to be fantastic for us repurchasing games for a second time.
Old 04-09-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Preordered.
Old 04-09-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. I'm keeping my PS3 Survival Edition but I'll definitely pick this up once the price is right. Wish they were doing some sort of collectors edition though.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The same thing will happen with Grand Theft Auto V... which is just awaiting Rockstar to finally pull the trigger as the work on it is more than 90% done.
Has any of that been confirmed? I remember people saying the same thing about RDR coming to PC, and that never happened either.
Old 04-09-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Not going to happen. Since Naughty Dog has to go back and rewrite all the code
I can't fathom that moving to a new platform demands a top-to-bottom, starting-from-a-blank-slate rewrite. I'm not trivializing the effort involved, and I'm not saying there ought to be a $10 upgrade or whatever, but it's not like they wrote the entire game in assembly.

I preordered despite (or because?) I never cracked open my PS3 copy from Black Friday.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Has any of that been confirmed? I remember people saying the same thing about RDR coming to PC, and that never happened either.
A couple of retailers overseas have listed it as a June release, but nothing's been officially confirmed.
Old 04-09-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
No, but in the powers entrusted to me, it will be coming to the PC/XB1/PS4 sooner than most people think. Rockstar is remaining quiet on the matter as the game is still selling 100K+ copies sold a week... even if it's been out now for more than seven months. Rockstar doesn't want to lose out on current sales. First rule of business: don't leave money on the table.

The original rumor was for a March release date. I could see Rockstar moving it due to the releases of Titanfall and Infamous: Second Son. The summer is a perfect timeframe as there are no notable games being released, so little-to-no-competition. It also helps that the next-gen install base has raised significantly due to the release of those two games. All the rumors now are pointing at release in June.

Expect an announcement at PAX East (where Rockstar has made announcements in the past). Possibly E3 at the latest. I would bet the DLC will be announced at the same, exact time. When it gets announced, it will be "weeks" from announcement to in customers' hands. Rockstar isn't fucking around when it comes to this release.

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I can't fathom that moving to a new platform means a top-to-bottom rewrite. I'm not trivializing the effort involved, but it's not like they wrote the entire game in assembly.
The problem is going from a cell architecture to x86. That's why emulation for 360 and PS3 games are near difficult to achieve on computers and why Microsoft and Sony had to kill backwards compatibility on the next-gen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Naughty Dog has been prepping this version for awhile now, especially since this game has been touted as far back as 2011. I'd rather pay for a remaster rather than deal with Playstation Now.
Old 04-09-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The problem is going from a cell architecture to x86. That's why emulation for 360 and PS3 games are near difficult to achieve on computers and why Microsoft and Sony had to kill backwards compatibility on the next-gen.
There's a world of difference between (1) uncompiled code that's architected around and optimized for different hardware and (2) emulating compiled code for a different platform. In no way am I saying it's as simple as recompiling, and there is undeniably a significant effort involved seeing as Naughty Dog eked out every micron of performance they could out of the PS3 with code that can't possibly carry over, but likening it to emulation is really far off. Just saying that even with as much work is required, they're not starting from anywhere near zero.
Old 04-09-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by redbill
I guess they're targeting 360 converts. I can't imagine paying full price for that again. I'd pay maybe $30, if my game save was portable so I could continue working on trophies.

Makes me think they're not as optomistic on Playstation NOW, since this was one of the games they were pimping hard at its announce.
I'm one of those "360 Converts" and will be keeping an eye on this. Solid game and the PS4 version has it all it seems. Problem is a lot of games made for the PS4 are coming also.
Old 04-09-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I only put a few hours into GTAV before I got side-tracked. So I think I'll sell my PS3 version now and just wait for the PS4 version and restart the game. I wonder how much better it'll look.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.