Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you think Microsoft is going to solve the media/storage issue?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: How do you think Microsoft is going to solve the media/storage issue?
DVD again (multiple discs FTW!)
6.25%
Download and/or Streaming (The future now!)
6.25%
Blu-ray (We are Sony's friends)
50.00%
MS proprietary format (HD-DVD is coming back!)
29.17%
Other
8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

How do you think Microsoft is going to solve the media/storage issue?

Old 12-10-11, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How do you think Microsoft is going to solve the media/storage issue?

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
That's not the point. To break it down, in an ideal world, you want the frames per second to match the hertz of your television and the resolution of the game to match the resolution of your television. If I have a 60 Hz HDTV, the ideal is for the game to run at 60 FPS. If I have a 1920 x 1080 television, I want the game to have that same resolution.

To use an example, I'll use Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

On both the 360 and PS3, Battlefield 3 runs in a native resolution of 1280 x 720 at 30 fps. If you have a television that maxes out at 720p, you're in business as the resolution is top notch. However, anything higher? The PS3 doesn't upscale to 1080p whereas the XBOX 360 does. However, if you're playing the game on a PC? The sky's the limit for Battlefield 3 based upon your system.

Call of Duty: Black Ops on the PS3 had a native resolution to 950 x 544 at 40 fps. In a rarity, the PS3 edition of the game was able to upscale it to 1080p. If you had a 360, you got a better version of the game as it was running at 1040 x 608 with 60 fps. Again, like most games, the XBOX 360 upscales it to 1080p if your display can handle it. However, if you're playing the game on a PC? The sky's the limit.

I don't know the exact resolution of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, however the game runs at 60 fps on both the PS3 and XBOX 360. However, if you're playing the game on a PC? The sky's the limit.

The games will always be limited by the hardware. On my iMac, I'm able to run Team Fortress 2 at 2560 x 1440 at a consistent 120 fps with very little drops. Did I mention the game also has all the video settings maxed out? However, if I limit the frames per second to 60, I would never know the difference as my iMac is only 60 Hz.

If the next-gen consoles can match what a computer can do now, we will be in quite a treat for the next games we'll be able to see.
But again, you're talking about things that most people don't notice and won't care about.
Old 01-26-12, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There's a new article about the Xbox 360's successor, suggesting they may choose Blu-ray. Also of note, no more used games?

With the Consumer Electronics Show now in the rear-view mirror, it's time to start looking forward to other tech conventions like the upcoming Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), which will kick off this summer. It's possible Microsoft will announce its next generation game console at E3, and in the process dispel or confirm the many rumors surrounding the Xbox 720.

Forbes rounded up some of the more interesting ones as of late, including one originating from IGN in which it's being reported the Xbox 720 will be six times more powerful than the 360 and is slated to ship in October or early November of next year.

"Our sources have confirmed that mass production of the system's GPU will indeed begin by the end of 2012 but will not, however, be based on AMD's 7000 series Southern Islands GPU," IGN says. "Instead, the processor will be derived from the 6000 series, which was introduced last year. More specifically, it will be akin to the Radeon HD 6670, which offers support for DirectX11, multi-display output, 3D and 1080p HD output."

That's certainly within the realm of possibility, and technically, so is another rumor that Microsoft will finally implement a Blu-ray drive into its game console with the 720.

"Microsoft will upgrade its disc technology for its next Xbox from DVDs to Blu-Ray discs, catching up to rival Sony, games industry sources tell Kotaku, Kotaku reports.

What makes the Blu-ray rumor so hard to believe is the number of times we've heard similar chatter of Microsoft releasing a Blu-ray version of the Xbox 360, only to be strongly refuted by the Redmond software and hardware giant.

Kotaku also claims to have "heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system." It's unclear how it would be implemented, and while it sounds ridiculous, would anyone really be surprised if a console maker tried to pull off a stunt like this?

Microsoft, of course, is keeping mum about its next generation console.

"As an innovator we're always thinking about what is next and how we can push the boundaries of technology like we did with Kinect," Microsoft said in canned statement to Kotaku. "We believe the key to extending the lifespan of a console is not just about the console hardware, but about the games and entertainment experiences being delivered to consumers. Beyond that we don't comment on rumors or speculation."

What are your predictions and/or wishlist for the Xbox 720?
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...ames_mechanism

I don't see why it would be surprising to have BD. They're going to need more space, and consoles aren't ready for digital distribution only, so they don't have much of a choice. So what if they haven't released a 360 with BD? If they did, it would only be for movies because they're not going to bother with game releases on separate formats.

I wonder what kind of anti-used game mechanism it would be. Online activation? Discs with a writable portion?
Old 01-26-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I'd think the anti-used game thing would have to be online activation or some kind of registration, but that would really screw people who still don't have internet. I can't see them putting extra hardware for a disc write mechanism, or putting little memory cards in with every game sold, but who knows?

If they're going to go Blu anyway, why didn't they just release a Blu-ray add-on for the 360?
Old 01-26-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I stil think MS will stick to their current digital distribution ecosystem on the nexbox. I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched the optical drive all together. I may be proved wrong later but I don't see MS putting in a BD drive.
Old 01-26-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I recall reading a article a few years ago about a disk technology that had a memory chip implanted in the disc. I believe the way the disc works was something inside the drive had to activate the chip, then the chip allowed the disk to be read. I don't know what ever became of that tech; I assume it's dead since I don't recall hearing anymore about it. Maybe Microsoft is planning to do something similar here?
Old 01-26-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
I stil think MS will stick to their current digital distribution ecosystem on the nexbox. I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched the optical drive all together. I may be proved wrong later but I don't see MS putting in a BD drive.
I would be. It's already a pain in the ass to download 10+ GB games off of Steam.
Old 01-26-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's one thing to require internet connection to function, but to require high speed would likely hurt their market share.
Old 01-26-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
If they're going to go Blu anyway, why didn't they just release a Blu-ray add-on for the 360?
Because it would only be for playing movies. With the next system, they may need it for storage.

I would be shocked if they left out an optical drive. Console games just aren't ready for digital distribution only. We haven't even reached the phase that music and PC games have reached, which is the point where almost everything (new) is available either digitally or on a physical format. Apparently that's where the PS Vita will be when it launches, but it hasn't happened with home consoles yet.

If they do have some kind of activation, I hope that a nice side effect would be the ability to transfer the entire game to the hard drive and not need the disc. If they can register a particular disc to an account, they should be able to do this.
Old 01-26-12, 12:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Yeah, it's one thing to require internet connection to function, but to require high speed would likely destroy their market share.
fixed.
Old 01-26-12, 12:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

One idea is an writable RFID chip that goes into the disc (similar to the technology used for Skylanders). I put that into my console, and it associates that disc with my machine (and with my Live ID if I'm logged in...similar to to how XBLA games work).
Old 01-26-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
One idea is an writable RFID chip that goes into the disc (similar to the technology used for Skylanders). I put that into my console, and it associates that disc with my machine (and with my Live ID if I'm logged in...similar to to how XBLA games work).
And then when your Xbox 720 RRODs, what do you do? Buy the game again?
Old 01-26-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Digital content transfer of licenses.
Old 01-26-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how I feel about killing the used game market. I've enjoyed pawning off my games to Amazon or traders and recouping most of my money, on the other hand, I would love to see Gamestop go the way of Circuit City.
Old 01-26-12, 11:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Digital content transfer of licenses.
Yep. It could work just like XBLA games do today.