Skylanders, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-16, 07:58 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Skylanders, Anyone?

donkey kong with vehicle for $8.50

don't know how long it will last so jump on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Activision-Sup..._detailpages00
Old 05-31-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^I snagged one of those for my grandson when it got down to $6.79.

I've picked up a few other bargains in the past few months:

Power Blue Splatter Splasher (for my granddaughter): $7.77
Power Blue Gold Rusher (for my grandson): $7.00
Amazon Exclusive: Skylanders Superchargers: Fly, Dive, Drive Toy Bundle: $24.04 (this has the "Racing Sea Pack" with Deep Dive Gill Grunt, Reef Ripper, and Sea Trophy; the "Terrafin Dual Pack" with Shark Shooter Terrafin and Shark Tank; and the "Jet Vac Dual Pack" with Hurricane Jet-Vac and Jet Stream)
Racing Sky Pack (Astroblast, Sun Runner, and Sky Trophy): $13.34
Dive Bomber (regular): $4.95
Sun Runner: $2.81 (for my grandson - he has the "Legendary" version)
Tomb Buggy: $5.09
Smash Hit: $3.84
Birthday Bash Big Bubble Pop Fizz: $3.86
Sea Shadow: $4.18
Eon's Elite Boomer: $5.20
Eon's Elite Dino Rang: $5.80
Eon's Elite Eruptor: $5.93
Eon's Elite Gill Grunt: $5.63

Most are much higher now but the Supercharger prices are regularly fluctuating for quite a few figures. If you keep a close watch you can snag some real bargains on them.

The absolutely best deal I stumbled across was a MP vendor selling a *new in package* Darklight Crypt (expansion/level for Spyro's Adventures) for $22.99 + shipping. The total was $27.26 which is not much higher than the original street price + sales tax. I purchased it for my grandson as he'd never gotten that one. I'd snagged one to keep at my house on release day and they quickly went OOP/OOS everywhere. By the time he got a copy of Spyro's Adventures for his house they were very expensive, topping $40 for even used copies. I'd purchased a Eon's Elite Ghost Roaster for him for Christmas and we'd worked out a deal for him to borrow the Crypt toy/expansion a couple of times to get the level in his games. Anyway... it came in and I just sat it on top of the Skylanders storage units with several other "new in box" figures to the sides. I was wondering just how long it would take him to see it as I keep newly purchased figures in that location until we open them and there were already a half dozen or so sitting there. He saw it *immediately* and was very excited! When I told him it was *his* he was jumping up and down with joy!
Old 06-01-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Skylanders Imaginators will let you design your own characters. Somewhat disappointingly, there aren't plans to allow you to 3D-print 'em.

Release date is October 16th.
Old 06-01-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Toys R Us currently has a bunch of Skylanders stuff on sale. Most figures/vehicles are B1G2 free but in order to get one free you must have 3 of the same price(ex. 3 characters or 3 vehicles, no mixing). Supercharger starter sets are $19.99. Two pack Superchargers are $12.99 and Nintendo character related 2 packs are $13.

I only need 2 vehicles to match up with my current figures(Soda Skimmer and Buzz Wing) and would probably pick up one of the Special Edition Dive Bombers for the third, but Soda Skimmer is showing as unavailable for shipping or store pickup. My daughter recently saw Roller Brawl at Best Buy and wants her, but neither her or her matching vehicle are showing as available. I don't know if this is online only and my closest TRU is 40 minutes away.
Old 06-01-16, 01:39 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Skylanders Imaginators will let you design your own characters. Somewhat disappointingly, there aren't plans to allow you to 3D-print 'em.

Release date is October 16th.

Watched a couple of vids today, i am much more excited for it than i was Superchargers
Old 06-03-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This one looks cool! Still... will it have worthless driving sections to get more use out of the crappy vehicle mechanic of Superchargers?

Then I read this:

29 $14.99 Sensei toys and the 99 $9.99 Creation Crystals it will take to store one character from each of the ten fighting disciplines for each of the ten elements.
99... let that sink in. *99* "Creation Crystals" for you to "store one character" each. That's at $10 each. That's a thousand dollars folks... And are these going to be as difficult to obtain as were the traps?

Then there's another ~$450 to get the 29 new characters - not to mention the sure-to-appear Legendary/Nitro/alt deco. figures that'll appear.

This looks to be a bigger cash grab than Trap Team!

I gotta let that sink in before I'll know if we're going to buy into this one... Not having a version for the Wii this time out certainly makes it a bit easier as that's the only dedicated gaming system we have at my house (for now).

My grandson would spend *hours* creating Mii's on the Wii when he was 5-6. Even though he'll be 13 when this comes out I'd still expect him to spend hours with character creation. Not so much me... did that creator tool segment look pretty much like most of the "creation" is simply different looks to parts and/or different colorations? I'd like to know more about the character creation portion and just how much *can* be done.

I also read that the Dark Edition of the Starter Pack will contain three Skylanders (King Pen, Golden Queen, and Wolfgang) and three Creation Crystals (Fire, Life, and Dark), making it look like the one to get.

At least if this one tanks Activision shouldn't be able to blame it on "market saturation" caused by other systems, especially since Disney is dropping out of the game. I wish they'd just accept that Superchargers wasn't as good as they thought it would be.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-03-16 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-03-16, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Just buy a crystal or two or at most one of each element. Let's be honest and say that only the hardcore are going to be making character after character.
Old 06-04-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Just buy a crystal or two or at most one of each element. Let's be honest and say that only the hardcore are going to be making character after character.
That describes my grandson to a "T"... Of course, if I don't purchase a new "next gen" gaming system *I* won't be worried about it and it'll be all his problem.
Old 06-05-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I told my grandson about the new game today. As expected, when I told him about the make-your-own Skylander w/crystals, he said "I know what I'll be spending my allowance on!" He didn't even blink when I told him there are to be 100 total crystals at $10 each and almost immediately said "Wow! That's $1,000!! - I'll still get as many as I can!" He *very much* likes the idea of creating your own Skylander.

Amazon currently has quite a few figures and vehicles for $4.99 each. I snagged him a few he's been wanting.
Old 06-06-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I told my grandson about the new game today. As expected, when I told him about the make-your-own Skylander w/crystals, he said "I know what I'll be spending my allowance on!" He didn't even blink when I told him there are to be 100 total crystals at $10 each and almost immediately said "Wow! That's $1,000!! - I'll still get as many as I can!" He *very much* likes the idea of creating your own Skylander.

Amazon currently has quite a few figures and vehicles for $4.99 each. I snagged him a few he's been wanting.
Probably a pm of Gamestop as they had a Skylanders weekend sale. My daughter decided she wanted Roller Brawl and matching vehicle and I picked up Soda Skimmer to go along with that character. Now I just need to find a deal on Buzz Wing and I will more than likely be done. But so far it seems TRU is the only store that is carrying it.

Had there been a Toys R Us closer by I would have swung by and picked it up along with the two other vehicles mentioned above, provided they were in stock. Online it was saying quite a few were not in stock at my two closest stores, but I seem to remember seeing quite the opposite on something similar a while back. But I don't really know as I don't frequent TRU enough to know how accurate their online site is.
Old 06-06-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
Probably a pm of Gamestop as they had a Skylanders weekend sale. My daughter decided she wanted Roller Brawl and matching vehicle and I picked up Soda Skimmer to go along with that character. Now I just need to find a deal on Buzz Wing and I will more than likely be done. But so far it seems TRU is the only store that is carrying it.

Had there been a Toys R Us closer by I would have swung by and picked it up along with the two other vehicles mentioned above, provided they were in stock. Online it was saying quite a few were not in stock at my two closest stores, but I seem to remember seeing quite the opposite on something similar a while back. But I don't really know as I don't frequent TRU enough to know how accurate their online site is.
Hmmm... looking at the Gamestop ad shows it to have been a 50% off sale. I doubt Amazon was matching that as their prices are more like 66% off. I was unaware of the Gamestop sale which kind of irritates me as I'm on their mailing list and have recently purchased some used figures online but have *not* received their sale emails in quite some time. They're not winding up in SPAM - just not getting them. I might have gone to one of the local stores had I known, especially since one just bent over backwards to help me get a used Lightcore Pop Fizz (and is still trying to get a 2nd copy for me) as a "normal" price (~$10) rather than the whoreder prices at Amazon.

I'd ordered my grandson a Buzz Wing and Spring Ahead Dive Bomber along with a Splatter Splasher for his sister during TRU's B1G2 free sale. They'll be ~$6.10 each after tax (shipping was free). Considering Amazon doesn't have Buzz Wing yet I felt that was a pretty good deal. He wanted a Power Blue Trigger Happy but TRU sold out before I placed the order. Since he's paying the bill for these he has a strict limit of how much he's willing to spend. Amazon had a figure he'd wanted but it was $.25 more than he'd budgeted so he turned it down (I ordered it anyway and will pay the extra quarter but he doesn't yet know).

I have no idea how accurate TRU's site is about local stock. The closest store to us is ~2 hours away so I have my store setting for the one in Amarillo (where my son is) just in case *it* shows something in stock I want him to pick up for his kids. So far I've not used that feature.
Old 06-06-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read a article on Imaginators which has vehicle information:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/1/1182...ver-to-players

It says:
While Skylanders Imaginators won’t allow players to use vehicles in the game’s campaign, it will include the tracks and racing from Skylanders: Superchargers, which was developed by Vicarious Visions.
So... the vehicles are going to be relegated to side board status and be diversions which can be ignored if desired. I like this as I'm not a racing game fan. That means I can play the game with my grandson and not have to worry about the game being drug down and interrupted with a lame driving/flying segment just as things get interesting.

While I'm somewhat relieved to not have to worry too much about this one I *was* hoping that since Toys for Bob is the developer of the year the game would be available for the Wii. I still contend the only thing that kept it away last year was the overly detailed graphics and had they been allowed to "dumb down" the graphics the game would have run just fine on the Wii. At least I saw nothing, other than the improved graphics, on the XBox versions that hadn't already been done.
Old 06-06-16, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Count me out on the next version. I'm so glad my kid is finally starting to get bored with Skylanders. What a money sink it was.
Old 06-06-16, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Hmmm... looking at the Gamestop ad shows it to have been a 50% off sale. I doubt Amazon was matching that as their prices are more like 66% off. I was unaware of the Gamestop sale which kind of irritates me as I'm on their mailing list and have recently purchased some used figures online but have *not* received their sale emails in quite some time. They're not winding up in SPAM - just not getting them. I might have gone to one of the local stores had I known, especially since one just bent over backwards to help me get a used Lightcore Pop Fizz (and is still trying to get a 2nd copy for me) as a "normal" price (~$10) rather than the whoreder prices at Amazon.
Spoiler:

I'd ordered my grandson a Buzz Wing and Spring Ahead Dive Bomber along with a Splatter Splasher for his sister during TRU's B1G2 free sale. They'll be ~$6.10 each after tax (shipping was free). Considering Amazon doesn't have Buzz Wing yet I felt that was a pretty good deal. He wanted a Power Blue Trigger Happy but TRU sold out before I placed the order. Since he's paying the bill for these he has a strict limit of how much he's willing to spend. Amazon had a figure he'd wanted but it was $.25 more than he'd budgeted so he turned it down (I ordered it anyway and will pay the extra quarter but he doesn't yet know).

I have no idea how accurate TRU's site is about local stock. The closest store to us is ~2 hours away so I have my store setting for the one in Amarillo (where my son is) just in case *it* shows something in stock I want him to pick up for his kids. So far I've not used that feature.
Here is the flyer that was in my email. I somehow overlooked it until Friday evening.

Spoiler:
Old 06-07-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^OK. That's quite a bit different than the online sale ad. That whole bottom segment is different on the online version. If that *is* what Amazon was doing they didn't monitor it well as they still had a few vehicles for $4.99 last night. Today they're all in the $11-$13 price range. The figures were all at the "normal" (i.e. wildly varying with no seeming rhyme or reason) prices by Sunday evening.

I just tried resubscribing to their newsletter. We'll see what happens...
Old 07-06-16, 08:00 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

TRU is still selling single figures as Buy 1 Get 2 Free... and the games are $19.99 each.

Tempted, but did not bite.
Old 09-29-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I found a Superchargers Dark Edition at my Best Buy for $29.99 ($23.99 with GCU) yesterday, which was $20 less than the Standard edition of the game. Picked it up for my son -- he was pretty stoked. Guess we finally will play one of these games on a next-gen console.
Old 09-29-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

After getting nearly all the figures before Superchargers and playing those games to death, I think our family lost momentum. We bought Superchargers late, and never really got a significant number of toys. I've been tempted by the b1g2f at TRU but they don't have much variety. So I think we're out on this next round, even with no Infinity to compete.
Old 09-29-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We are going to get the starter pack of the next one with Crash Bandicoot and the free Kaos figure. We finally get to create our own Skylanders. However, aside from that, I will likely not get many if any of the other figures at first. I also hope that this is the last go for Skylanders unless they made some online Skylanders World game with a large number of real players that can link up and take on missions.
Old 10-17-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So... have any of you purchased this one?

I'm sitting it out - partly because I'd have to purchase a new gaming system to play but also because I'm somewhat burned out on 'em.

My grandson wants one, not surprising, but mostly to get a couple of crystals and make his own characters. He's said he's going to sell some of his older stuff to buy into this one. I told him he'd be lucky to get a few $$ for most but he thinks he'll make out like a bandit selling his old characters. I don't know who he's planning on selling them to as he already knows selling to Game Stop is not worth the effort and has ruled out that venue. The worst part is I have at least a half-dozen, or more, figures for *every* prior game put back for him. Oh well... I don't plan to subsidize this one.
Old 10-17-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Will wait for a big sale. I'm interested in picking up some of the villains.
Old 10-18-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm liking the game quite a bit after the first couple of levels. Playing with Crash Bandicoot is kick ass and I already have him leveled up to 9. I have not even touched the Skylanders creator despite already having 4 creation crystals. We already have 13 figures, including Kaos.
Old 10-18-16, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Yeah this series is always conveniently timed for Black Friday sales, and if not, oh well it'll be on sale soon enough.
Old 10-20-16, 09:55 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Skipped Trap Team, Superchargers, and will skip this one too.

All y'all have fun!
Old 10-31-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^I'd love to skip this one but my grandson, when asked what he wants for Christmas, tells grandma "The new Skylanders game in the Dark edition." Followed by a list of characters with prices and how the dark edition is a better value then the regular. So... looks like I'm sucked back in. But at least this time I don't own a compatible console so won't be getting it for my house.

We *still* haven't fully played through Trap Team *or* Swap Force at my house...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.