Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Skylanders, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: Skylanders, Anyone?

I played a bit of Superchargers on my grandson's X-Box earlier today (about a half hour). So far, I'm not all that impressed with the game. I really dislike saying that as I've been a huge Skylanders fan and in spite of the blatant money grab called Trap Team like that one almost as well as the earlier games.

The racing bits frequently took me out of the action and added little to actual gameplay. Often it was nothing but a exercise in "spin/fly around shooting anything with a triangle pointing it out" but little strategy. The graphics and vehicle control is good on those sections but they feel like add-ons and contribute little to overall game play.

I found the improved/higher res graphics (based on what I'm accustomed to on the Wii) to be more a distraction than a help. After playing most of a level I believe the *only* think that prevented this game being ported to the Wii was the higher resolution graphics on display. They are more CGI looking but, at least to me, *don't* look much like Skylanders. It's possible that's only on the X-Box and the graphics on the Playstation and/or WiiU look more authentic but I've not seen the game on those platforms to know. I think it was decided "high-res" graphics only would be acceptable and didn't want to "dumb them down" for the lowly Wii. If that supposition is true, I feel it was a mistake, especially after reading comments about Skylanders "Racing" from Wii owners. If they were hoping to drive Wii owners to newer hardware by excluding the Wii this time out I think they failed. The *unskippable* cut scenes are also overly CGI looking and far too long - even my grandson complained about those.

The mechanics of the level I played have *all* been done on the Wii in the past and looked just fine (in fact, mostly better than what I saw on display on the X-Box) on those past games. Frequently there were camera angles that just didn't work or were confusing (the level had you walking on walls and ceilings in some areas) and your Skylander was frequently *too* small to be seen easily on smaller TV screens. I got the impression this one was designed for 60" or larger screens with no consideration given for anything smaller as lots of the on-screen text is rather small, often requiring getting closer to the screen to read easily.

The new character designs are good but the new animation when placing a figure on the portal is severly lacking/lackluster compared to past editions of the game.

Skystones is still a massive bore taking you out of the game anytime having to play a game pops up.

At one point my grandson couldn't stand it any more so he jumped into the game for some good old coop play. Then we hit a vehicle section. Wow... it's *worse* with two players than with one! The "weapons" player had little (actually *nothing*) to do on one section until the final exit and another was nothing more then following a "boss" around with the cursor while firing the whole time. I'm totally unimpressed with two-player vehicle implementation and not impressed enough with the one player implementation to give it much credit.

I'd been considering picking up a X-Box (or other console - need to look at available games first) to be able to continue the Skylanders franchise but I'm now reconsidering. If asked today I'd say I'm hoping Turbochargers "Racing" tanks as bad as did the tablet edition of Trap Team so I can get a inexpensive Skylanders themed racing game. I'm generally not a fan of racing only games but I'd go ~$25 for a Skylanders one.
Old 09-28-15, 11:04 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't played it but I wondered about whether I would enjoy the game since it revolves around vehicles. However the game is getting pretty good reviews.

I will delve into the Skylanders universe tomorrow night after my swap force starter pack arrives. I can't wait
Old 09-29-15, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I heard that the Wii version of the game is much different than the current gen versions.
Old 09-29-15, 05:48 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I heard that the Wii version of the game is much different than the current gen versions.

The Wii version is just a Mario kart style racing game.
Old 09-29-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj
I haven't played it but I wondered about whether I would enjoy the game since it revolves around vehicles. However the game is getting pretty good reviews.
Those good reviews are what prompted me to give it a try on my grandson's system. Several I read *liked* the vehicle segments and a few thought they are somewhat intrusive and don't work all that well - but of the reviews I've read, those who *like* them outnumber those who do not. Part of me kept wondering if I'd simply reached burn-out phase with Skylanders but I still enjoy playing the older games. In fact I recently wiped out a save spot and started the original from scratch just for fun. He still has his X-Box at my house so I may play a bit more later today and do a different level. It's quite possible the level I played is the cause of my dislike of this one but the vehicles play a major role as I don't much care for "racing" type games.
Originally Posted by wlj
The Wii version is just a Mario kart style racing game.
That is exactly what it is. It *does* look nice, but ~$75 for a racing game in which the only thing truly different is the ability to play/race with your Skylanders is a bit steep - especially considering all the other consoles get a *full* game experience and not a stripped down Mario Kart clone.
Old 09-29-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, to be honest, it is time for gamers and developers to start moving away from the Wii.
Old 09-29-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, to be honest, it is time for gamers and developers to start moving away from the Wii.
Yes, it is. Activision should have just not made a version of Skylanders for the Wii this time out rather than offer a sub-par substitution under the Skylanders name. I'd have had *no* problem with that. Basically either offer the *full* game on the system or none at all.

I *do* wonder how much of that decision was Nintendo considering the starter packs for those platforms are the only ones offering the Amiibo figures (which, IMHO, have no business in a Skylanders franchise release). Even then I wonder about the strategy since Nintendo *seems* to want people to dump the Wii in favor of the WiiU.
Old 10-02-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The birthday Superchargers figures I picked up for my grandson mostly went back... someone else beat me to 'em! Being a responsible, game playing, grandpa I returned them and am in the process of getting different figures.

So...

Those of you who are playing Superchargers... Which figures or vehicles are your in-game favorites? The ones you pick up every time you start to play. He has a couple picked out for replacements but I'm also looking to offer him suggestions based on the ones that have the "best/better" game play.
Old 10-02-15, 03:30 PM
wlj

Are there any plans of ever making a Skylanders movie? It would be a gold mine.
Old 10-02-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj
Are there any plans of ever making a Skylanders movie? It would be a gold mine.
I know my grandson would want to see it. I purchased the Skylanders' comic for him last year and he really enjoyed it (a 12 issue "arc" with Trap Team). The few issues I read weren't too bad - not the typical money grab most kids franchise based books tend to be. He's indicated he may not be interested in the Superchargers one this year but I suspect after he's played the game a bit he will be.
Old 10-04-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After two trips to Gamestop, and one to Half Price Books, we have officially traded off all of our Skylanders. I enjoyed them at their peak but now it feels good to be free of the tubs and tubs and tubs of them. Never again.
Old 10-04-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
After two trips to Gamestop, and one to Half Price Books, we have officially traded off all of our Skylanders. I enjoyed them at their peak but now it feels good to be free of the tubs and tubs and tubs of them. Never again.
What are you going to collect now? At least I have a one year old that can get use out of all the ones we collected in the next couple of years. It's almost like raising two generations of kids with the age difference between him and our daughter.
Old 10-04-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I made a run by the smaller of the 2 WM Supercenter's here this afternoon. While I was there mainly for some grocery items I did my usual perusal of the DVD/BR and Gaming sections of the store. What I found was a bit surprising.

Other than *older* starters (mostly Trap Team but a few Swap Force) there were *NO* Skylanders to be found. Absolutely *no* Superchargers starter packs and *no* figures for *any* set/series.

They had a *few* Disney Infinity starters (all versions) and a small section of figures but nothing special. I saw only 2 Amiibo characters. There were *no* Lego Dimension sets either.

The lack of these sets and figures was somewhat of a shock. While this store has never been over supplied they *have* had a fairly regular stocking of figures with each release wave.
Old 10-21-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon has the regular starters for SuperChargers on sale today - $50 each. That includes the "racing" only versions for the Wii and 3DS (although I still think it needs to be $30 or less to be a good deal on those two). Dark starters are also on sale for $75 each.
Old 10-22-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Same price at Gamestop this week. 3DS is $39.99. Just saw on another site that Best Buy will have the Wii U version for $49.99 next week. Not sure about the other platforms though.

I am going to hold off picking this up unless Best Buy knocks it down to around $40 or less during the holiday sales. My daughter and I are still working on Trap Team and are nowhere close to finishing it. This Common Core crap is wrecking havoc on our free time in the evenings right now.
Old 10-22-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I figure the prices BF week(end) will beat those. Of course I'm holding out as all I have is the Wii and absolutely will not pay that kind of premium for what looks to be a third of the full game.

Common Core sucks... I work for a large school district (~8000 students) and *everyone* except upper administration complains about it regularly.
Old 10-26-15, 10:14 AM
wlj

So what is everyone's opinion on Superchargers? It doesn't seem to get the buzz that the other games have gotten. I don't have it, I only have Swap Force right now. There are a few Skylander youtube channels i watch that seem to have gotten tired of Superchargers pretty quick and they are moving on to other things.
Old 10-26-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only played it once for about a half-hour on my grandson's XBox. I was rather unimpressed. I wasn't much of a fan of the "racing" segments and feel they somewhat take you out of the game. For the most part they felt, and played, much like the rails type flying segments in the previous games. FWIW I feel the same about the driving/flying segments in the Lego series of games. Those segments always elicit a groan from me when I see that's what's up and I get them done as fast as possible because for me they're just not fun.

The RPG parts were pretty much like the other games but levels felt shorter and not as involving as the flying/driving segments interrupt the RPG parts a couple, or more, times per level. Those interruptions make those non-flyling/driving segments feel more like the shorter side/gate quests of the previous games. The couple of "levels" I played felt more like fetch/carry/deliver segments. Go one place to "get something" or hit a switch, run back where you were, drop off/hit a different switch, go to another area to do the same, repeat. Graphics are very good but good graphics do not a good game make (another reason I feel they dropped Wii support - upgraded graphics and not updated game play mechanics as everything feels/looks/plays identical to segments in the prior installments).

It's not good enough to convince me to spring for a new gaming console for the house. We have a large enough library of engaging games for the Wii to please him and his younger sisters (ages 4 and 9) for some time. We actually spent most of last Saturday playing Lego Star Wars rather than one of the Skylanders games (a somewhat rare occurrence).

That said, my grandson still seems to like it. He's 12 and not as critical of stuff like that as am I. He has a few other vehicles and figures picked out but doesn't seem to be as obsessed about getting everything for this one. I know the true barometer will be Christmas sales but, at least for now, there seems to be no shortage of any of the figures or vehicles. That's discounting the one WM in my area that has *no* Superchargers, starters or figures, on the shelf.

The Target here did a reset of their video game section but Skylanders still has about the same amount of space, as does Disney's Infinity. They added a section for Lego, which is a bit larger than the areas for Skylanders or Infinity.

**EDIT**

I asked my grandson to rank the Skylanders games:

1 - Swap Force
2 - Superchargers
3 - Spyro's Adventures
4 - Trap Team
5 - Giants

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-26-15 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-27-15, 08:00 AM
wlj

Cool! I have read that most people prefer Swap Force. That is why I chose that as my first Skylanders game. I played with my wife and 4 year old last night and we had a blast. My wife isn't even a gamer and she really likes Swap Force alot. Good times.
Old 10-27-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like the mechanic of Swap Force and would also rank it at #1. I still haven't explored all the character combos that are possible and actually have a few still in the package.

Right now I *think* I'd rank Trap Team higher than Spyro's Adventures (by a hair) but that first one is such a fun game it'd be a tough call.

I, too, was a bit underwhelmed with Giants. Not that it's "bad" but it felt *very* short compared to Spyro's Adventures. There was some consolation in that the expansion packs (levels) for Spyro's Adventures unlock the same levels in Giants. It'd been nice had the levels been different but at least they worked that way in the new game. It was a bit of a let down that the Spyro's Adventures level packs didn't unlock levels in Swap Force too but that one has its own level packs - which *don't* unlock levels in Trap Team which has its own overpriced level packs.

I've not played enough of SuperChargers to fairly give it a ranking.
Old 10-27-15, 02:38 PM
wlj

i may wait another year to get trap team. it is probably the most expensive of the franchise with all the traps and trapmasters you need to get. I don't need 100% everything, but i do want enough to make the game enjoyable. Hopefully the toys will be alot cheaper on ebay by then. I may go with Spyro's Adventures at Christmas.
Old 10-29-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Skylander Superchargers is the Deal of the Day at Best Buy. Save $25 plus get a Crystal Water trap for free.
With GCU, that's $40 for the full game. Tempting to say the least....
Old 11-07-15, 02:08 PM
wlj

Skylanders cartoon on the way!!

http://www.twinfinite.net/2015/11/06/activision-announces-skylanders-academy-cartoon/
Old 11-15-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Target Cartwheel has a 45% off coupon that can be loaded. Expires on 11/25.

If your store allows pm + Cartwheel Wal-Mart and Amazon has it for $59.96. Should knock it down to around $33.
Old 11-16-15, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^My daughter tried here but they'd only let her do one or the other - not combined. She asked if $40 was a "good" price and I told her it was as good as it's been and appears to be for all BF ads I've seen to date.

I'm still waiting for Wii sales to tank so Amazon/Nintendo'll offer that version for $30 or less... I think that's the most I'd be willing to pay.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.