Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Skylanders, Anyone?

Old 10-15-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Skylanders, Anyone?

Finally decided to get Skylanders for my son for Xmas this year. We have the starter set and a bunch of figures hidden down in the basement waiting for Xmas. Now he just noticed that there's a new Skylanders game coming out. Can't win, LOL. Ah well. He'll have fun with the first one for now.
Old 10-15-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Did you just buy it? Apparently Best Buy will have the Starter packs on sale for $39.99 tomorrow as the Deal of the Day. Maybe you can get it price matched.
Old 10-15-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
Finally decided to get Skylanders for my son for Xmas this year. We have the starter set and a bunch of figures hidden down in the basement waiting for Xmas. Now he just noticed that there's a new Skylanders game coming out. Can't win, LOL. Ah well. He'll have fun with the first one for now.
If it's not too late you could always return the first one and buy the new one. The old figures will work but the new ones will be better.
Old 10-16-12, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Did you just buy it? Apparently Best Buy will have the Starter packs on sale for $39.99 tomorrow as the Deal of the Day. Maybe you can get it price matched.
Dammit! No, we bought it when it was on sale for $49.99 at Kmart a month or two ago. No worries. I'm not even 100% sure he'll like/play it. He's only 4. If he does like it, we'll work on getting Giants next.
Old 10-16-12, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Xander
Dammit! No, we bought it when it was on sale for $49.99 at Kmart a month or two ago. No worries. I'm not even 100% sure he'll like/play it. He's only 4. If he does like it, we'll work on getting Giants next.
My daughter just turned 4 and she loves skylanders.

I am pretty sure Kmart's return policy is 90 days. If you want to jump straight to Giants it's currently available for preorder at newegg for $63 with the following promo code EMCJNJD242.
Old 10-16-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

According to post on darkspyro.net (wave 1 from a wholesale list, and wave 2 from EB Games) here are the wave 1 & 2 figures.

WAVE 1 -Launch
> single figure assortment (12 count)
2 x Pop Fizz (new)
2 x Chill (new)
2 x Fright Rider (new)
1 x Zook (reposed)
1 x Whirlwind (reposed)
1 x Terrafin (reposed)
1 x Slam Bam (reposed)
1 x Ignitor (reposed)
1 x Trigger Happy (reposed)

> light core figure assortment (12 count)
4 x Prism Break Lightcore (new)
4 x Drobot Lightcore (new)
4 x Eruptor" Lightcore figures (new)

> giants figure assortment figure assortment (6 count)
2 x Giant Crusher (new)
2 x Giant Bouncer (new)
2 x Giant Swarm (new)

> triple pack assortment (6 count x 10)
3 x Triple pack A
A: 1 x Pop Fizz (new), 1 x Trigger Happy (reposed), 1 x Whirlwind (reposed)
3 x Triple pack B
B: 1 x Chill (new), 1 x Zook (reposed), 1 x Ignitor (reposed)

> battle pack (6 count)
1 x Chop Chop (reposed), 1 x Dragonfire Cannon (new), 1 x Shroomboom (new)

WAVE 2 -Late November
Giants Hot Head
Light Core Jet Vac
Bash S2
Double Trouble S2
Drill Sergeant S2
Flameslinger S2
Hex S2
Sonic Boom S2
Stump Smash S2
Gill Grunt S2
Flashwing
Sprocket
Triple Pack Flashwing/Gill Grunt/Double Trouble
Triple Pack Sprocket/Sonic Boom/ Stump Smash
Old 10-16-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Thanks. That's 1st post material right there.
Old 10-17-12, 08:26 AM

FYI the dragonfire cannon pack is not a GS exclusive. The only exclusive part is the golden color. Not sure if it's any different in game though.
Old 10-17-12, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Thanks. That's 1st post material right there.
And now it is. Thanks for the idea.
Originally Posted by Krayzie
FYI the dragonfire cannon pack is not a GS exclusive. The only exclusive part is the golden color. Not sure if it's any different in game though.
Well, in that case, I think I'll cancel that pre-order. Any way I don't have to buy something for full price at that evil corporation is good news in my book.
Unless, of course, I can sell it for a decent profit. But I doubt that here.
Old 10-17-12, 12:52 PM

Here's some images of the new Giants, from DarkSpyro.net

Thumpback, Crusher

Ninjini, Hot Head

Eye-Brawl, Swarm

Tree Rex, Bouncer
Old 10-17-12, 12:55 PM

And the new regular-sized figures:

Chill, Sprocket

Flashwing, Hot Dog

Fright Rider, Shroomboom

Jet-Vac, Pop Fizz

Full List of Achievements : Here

Last edited by Decker; 10-17-12 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-17-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 626 Likes on 460 Posts

Those new figures are *very* cool looking! The kids'll go nuts when they see these photos...
Old 10-17-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Flashwing and Shroomboom look like the coolest to me.

Sprocket looks like a cheap knockoff fig you'd get in a Taco Bell kid's meal.
Old 10-17-12, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cliff nOtes on this? Is it kind of like Pokemon? (each character has different abilities). So essentially you try to get as many as you can?
Old 10-17-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not really. You can play through the whole game with just the characters in the starter pack.

They all have different abilities and having 1 of each of the 8 elements allows you access to all parts of the game. So you can beat it with the starter figs, but to see 100% of the game you have to at least get 8 figures.
Old 10-17-12, 10:53 PM

It's a convergence of video games and toys. Each character is a nicely detailed toy with a NFC chip in the base. When placed on the "Portal" which is plugged into the game console, that same character appears in the game. It's like physical DLC. The experience and upgrades you attain in-game are stored on the chip and you can bring your figures to a friend's house and play that character, with his current level and upgrade, in-game on your friend's console, even if it's a different game system than yours.

You don't have to collect all the figures (and at $8- $10 each, it's pretty expensive. They will be up to $15 each this time), but many of us here did manage to compile the entire set of 32 character figures (plus other figures that unlocked levels and stuff) last round.

So bottom line : Unlike Pokemon, you don't collect the characters in-game, you collect them by begging your parents and grandparents until the purchase them all for you!
Old 10-18-12, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Krayzie
The info available so far the cannon's do show up differently in game (one is silver, the other gold) and the actual toys light up (silver one has blue eyes/barrel, gold one has orange eyes/barrel), but it's believed that they unlock the same battle arena. I'm going to keep my pre-order since it's already paid off at GS, even though I'll have to wait until 11 a.m. to pick it up.

I've only played the first two chapters of Giants so far since I only have Tree Rex (he's really slow), and I was able to use my green base figures (first game) to get into the 'locked' element areas.

Somethings I have noticed playing around with other figures, is the green base figures remember upgrades purchased in Giants when used again in the original game.

The adventure pack levels from the first game unlock in Giants as chapters 17-20 in the chapter select screen, and each one also unlocks a battle arena.

The sidekick (Frito-Lay promotional) figures work in Giants (same as the first game, they just follow you around), and from the character collection screen looks to be 4 new ones also.
Old 10-18-12, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Granite Crusher (Target exclusive/regular edition). I may wait and hit Target at 8 a.m. Sunday morning for the exclusive. I like the silver/gray/blue color scheme better.

Old 10-18-12, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Definite to the Target Granite Crusher.
Old 10-18-12, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Edison
Granite Crusher (Target exclusive/regular edition). I may wait and hit Target at 8 a.m. Sunday morning for the exclusive. I like the silver/gray/blue color scheme better.

Is the Target exclusive something they will keep stocking like the TRU legendaries? If not I can see a reseller buying every single figure.
Old 10-18-12, 11:18 AM

Skylanders Giants Review at Joystiq :

Skylanders Giants : Big Toys, Small Changes
Old 10-18-12, 11:39 AM

IGN 8.0 Review.

<object id="vid_b6a7096706fcd9e7c63ab5f9456bca5b" class="ign-videoplayer" width="468" height="293" data="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/18/skylanders-giants-video-review"/></object>

Last edited by Decker; 10-18-12 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It's a convergence of video games and toys. Each character is a nicely detailed toy with a NFC chip in the base. When placed on the "Portal" which is plugged into the game console, that same character appears in the game. It's like physical DLC. The experience and upgrades you attain in-game are stored on the chip and you can bring your figures to a friend's house and play that character, with his current level and upgrade, in-game on your friend's console, even if it's a different game system than yours.

You don't have to collect all the figures (and at $8- $10 each, it's pretty expensive. They will be up to $15 each this time), but many of us here did manage to compile the entire set of 32 character figures (plus other figures that unlocked levels and stuff) last round.

So bottom line : Unlike Pokemon, you don't collect the characters in-game, you collect them by begging your parents and grandparents until the purchase them all for you!

hah. that sounds kind of cool. Thankfully the boy is only 2.
Old 10-18-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

IGN said that this one is shorter than the last game which is not a good thing. I thought the last game was rather short when you think of how much additional stuff was put in just to find things for characters and not actual levels.
Old 10-18-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 626 Likes on 460 Posts

^Wow... that *is* bad. We thought it was a bit short as well (level wise) and were looking forward to something a bit longer based on the interview posted earlier. Of course, it won't stop me picking up a copy. Right now it looks like my Starter Kit for $63 w/coupon pre-order at NewEgg is the best price and the one I'll let go through.

And the gougers are already at it... Amazon has a listing for BATTLE PACK #1 (includes: Dragonfire Cannon - Chop Chop - Shroomboom) with whorders asking $50 up... already... for a ~$25 pack. I sincerely hope these vultures loose their shirts this time out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.