Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Grand Theft Auto 5 to a V

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Re: Grand Theft Auto 5 to a V

Originally Posted by mhg83
I was so disappointed with the multiplayer in IV. They had all these activities you could do in single layer ; bowling, racing, pool etc. but are disabled in online!
Yeah, same here. I mean here they create this awesome open world and all anyone does is run around and shoot people - online play is so mindless and in such a primitive state.

But when you think about it....what can you offer? I mean really, what else is there for you to do in any video game (well, open world ones anyway)? It's crazy cause you look at how detailed these games are getting and you start saying things like "I would like to sit down in this game" lol, like literally just have the player sit down and chill (like fallout 3 had) - it does say a lot about how far games have come but I myself couldn't really give any other advice as to what I would like to see done but I guess walking up to people that are having a camp fire and being provided with a list options on certain actions you would want to take would be cool (i.e. press x to try and beat the shit out of everyone, press y to ask if you can sit down and have a beer and tell a story, press b to pour you alcohol on the fire and say a quick one-liner as you walk away) I mean shit.....it's crazy.
Old 11-14-12, 10:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I was so disappointed with the multiplayer in IV. They had all these activities you could do in single layer ; bowling, racing, pool etc. but are disabled in online!
Red Dead Redemption did it right in that regard, so it's probable that GTAV will as well.
Old 11-14-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Not to be a downer, but I'm done buying these games day one.
I'm saying it's not a day one purchase.
Old 11-15-12, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I was trying to clarify that while I enjoy the games, I don't need to own them day one anymore because I simply don't enjoy the multiplayer aspect of it. If I don't, what's the point of paying extra for it?
Old 11-15-12, 07:25 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was trying to clarify that while I enjoy the games, I don't need to own them day one anymore because I simply don't enjoy the multiplayer aspect of it. If I don't, what's the point of paying extra for it?

lol
Old 11-15-12, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd

lol
A single player game is the same experience whether you buy it for $60 or $20. You might buy a multiplayer game at launch becasue you don't want to fall so far behind the communitity or it might be dead by the time you get to it. If one doesn't care about multiplayer, and has other stuff to keep him occupied, there's really no reason to spend $60 on a game at launch.
Old 11-15-12, 07:30 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
A single player game is the same experience whether you buy it for $60 or $20. You might buy a multiplayer game at launch becasue you don't want to fall so far behind the communitity or it might be dead by the time you get to it. If one doesn't care about multiplayer, and has other stuff to keep him occupied, there's really no reason to spend $60 on a game at launch.
I knew it was a bad idea to make my little joke..lol
Old 11-15-12, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My bad man, I totally misunderstood your previous post.
Old 11-15-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I knew it was a bad idea to make my little joke..lol
Yeah, actually I realized it was probably a joke after I made my response, but then I didn't feel like deleting it.
Old 11-15-12, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Red Dead Redemption did it right in that regard, so it's probable that GTAV will as well.
As far as what? You couldn't do any of the mini-games in red dead until one of the DLC's became available - even then not all activity's were available to play in multi-player.
Old 11-15-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I'm undecided on buying this one. The last couple of Grand Theft Auto games I haven't exactly loved. San Andreas was a big disappointment to me and IV was an improvement but I still didn't love it like I did with III and Vice City. That being said though the images so far and the newest trailer make this look pretty amazing thus far.
Old 11-15-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
As far as what? You couldn't do any of the mini-games in red dead until one of the DLC's became available - even then not all activity's were available to play in multi-player.
I think the only ones you couldn't do online was Horseshoes and the knife game. Poker, dice and racing were all available.

The thing you have to remember is that GTA IV came out in 2008. The idea of taking a sandbox game and translating it to online play was a pretty new concept at that time. My biggest problem was that it took FOREVER to rank up in GTA IV. I mean it wasn't too horrible getting to level 7 or so, but once you got there it was a monster to get further. It wasn't just hard to make money, it was seriously boring. I can't tell you how many times I ran through Hangman's N.O.O.S.E. just because it was the fastest way to make money.

It's one of the reasons it took me until January of this year to get the platinum, and I started in 2009!

On the other hand, Red Dead was AWESOME online. You didn't need to play with randoms, really you didn't need to play with anyone to rank up. You could kill the scenery characters on the map and get XP, you could go and clear out computer AI hideouts for XP. You could go on a kill spree and just hide out and get XP. Then they made it even better by offering double and triple XP weekends. I got to rank 50 in less than 3 weeks, though that was helped by the fact they offered double XP for 2 weeks straight at the end of 2010. It also had a great community online for the PS3 at least.

I think Rockstar learned their lessons from GTA IV very well, and we'll see that show up in GTA V's multiplayer.
Old 11-15-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Correct but poker dice and racing weren't available out of the gate - it was part of one of the DLC's.

I couldn't stand GTA IV's mulitplayer and you're right......multi-player was in its beginning stages (well, for a lot of games anyway).

Max Payne 3 is by far Rockstars best multiplayer experience....once you get into it and learn the angles....it's such a smooth experience. One of the best things ever were the "bursts" seeing and hearing your gun getting more powerful with the more people you killed was a rush - I hope they bring that over to GTA V's multiplayer.
Old 11-16-12, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
Why must you doubt R*?

Is that the Golden Gate bridge in the background or another bridge. I'm hoping it's the latter.
Old 11-16-12, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

What would be awesome from this point forward is if they took their huge maps and tweaked them and continued to expand them outwards and adding new and old cities while keeping them tied together. It would be great if somewhere down the road you could drive from Los Santos to Vice City or to Liberty City and other cities in between.
Old 11-16-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheKing
On the other hand, Red Dead was AWESOME online. You didn't need to play with randoms, really you didn't need to play with anyone to rank up. You could kill the scenery characters on the map and get XP, you could go and clear out computer AI hideouts for XP. You could go on a kill spree and just hide out and get XP. Then they made it even better by offering double and triple XP weekends. I got to rank 50 in less than 3 weeks, though that was helped by the fact they offered double XP for 2 weeks straight at the end of 2010. It also had a great community online for the PS3 at least.

I think Rockstar learned their lessons from GTA IV very well, and we'll see that show up in GTA V's multiplayer.
Red Dead was great. You could Posse up with friends and ride around or jump right into different matchtypes or do raids.
Originally Posted by Rival11
Correct but poker dice and racing weren't available out of the gate - it was part of one of the DLC's.

I couldn't stand GTA IV's mulitplayer and you're right......multi-player was in its beginning stages (well, for a lot of games anyway).

Max Payne 3 is by far Rockstars best multiplayer experience....once you get into it and learn the angles....it's such a smooth experience. One of the best things ever were the "bursts" seeing and hearing your gun getting more powerful with the more people you killed was a rush - I hope they bring that over to GTA V's multiplayer.
Hopefully they've learned and improved things
Old 12-14-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
What would be awesome from this point forward is if they took their huge maps and tweaked them and continued to expand them outwards and adding new and old cities while keeping them tied together. It would be great if somewhere down the road you could drive from Los Santos to Vice City or to Liberty City and other cities in between.
Looks like that may be in the cards eventually:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/...es-in-one-game
Old 12-14-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Looks like that may be in the cards eventually:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/...es-in-one-game
I saw that link yesterday....that would be f'n awesome if they did that but I would definitely like to see a "link" between all the cities somehow......like just enough of a connection to see how they are connected when you are arrivng at one of them.

Either way though......that is just great news....shows how much they want to cater to their crazy ass fans who love one city/game more than the others.
Old 12-16-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Is that the Golden Gate bridge in the background or another bridge. I'm hoping it's the latter.
That is most likely a recreation of the Vincent Thomas Bridge, also a suspension design, but located in LA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Thomas_Bridge

No way Rockstar would let the world feel that small.
Old 12-24-12, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswir...ays-enjoy.html
Old 12-24-12, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

^ for the lazy

Old 12-24-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks awesome.
Old 12-24-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Crossing my fingers for none of the BS that was in the last game, like dating, "hanging out" with people and having to retrace all your steps after failing the last leg of a mission.
Old 12-24-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Crossing my fingers for none of the BS that was in the last game, like dating, "hanging out" with people and having to retrace all your steps after failing the last leg of a mission.
The developers already said that there will be no dating nor any forced hanging out. However, they did say that there will be a bigget variety of activities if you choose to do them.
Old 12-28-12, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
having to retrace all your steps after failing the last leg of a mission.
I gave up on GTA IV because of that bullshit. Totally ruined the game for me. The two expansions are so much more fun. I have to wonder if they couldn't have patched the main game to make it like the expansions where you had checkpoints during missions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.