Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Be patient and careful.
Old 06-03-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
So without reading the whole thread, what is good advice for a beginner? I started as a thief. Probably died ten times already.
I recommend on being magic user. Casting spell have save me alot. I go with Pyromancer instead of Sorcerer, they have better gears.
Old 06-03-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

I tried a new character (Hunter) and I have never been so frustrated in my life with a game. Getting knocked off buildings, having weak ass skeletons kill me in two hits. Total bullshit.

I only paid $10 for this, and I think I wasted my money. The bad thing is I did the on demand download so I can't sell this piece of shit product.

Something awesome happened though. I became human, and within a few minutes Darkslayerz12456 or whatever shows up, glowing green with a huge ass sword and shield, and throws a few pink fireballs at me and I'm dust.

What a waste.
Old 06-03-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried a new character (Hunter) and I have never been so frustrated in my life with a game. Getting knocked off buildings, having weak ass skeletons kill me in two hits. Total bullshit.

I only paid $10 for this, and I think I wasted my money. The bad thing is I did the on demand download so I can't sell this piece of shit product.

Something awesome happened though. I became human, and within a few minutes Darkslayerz12456 or whatever shows up, glowing green with a huge ass sword and shield, and throws a few pink fireballs at me and I'm dust.

What a waste.
Had you not read anything about the game before.

What you described is exactly why I love the game. A weak skeleton from the very beginning of the game will still pose a legit threat hours into the game if I let my attention slip and play sloppily.

There are really though, not repercussions for dying so there are plenty of opportunities to practice the fighting and improve skill in handling those enemies.
Old 06-03-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I just started yesterday, but I think you made the same mistake I did at first. Don't go to the area with the skeletons yet. From the first bonfire, head to the right and up the long stairs. There you'll find a bunch of weak enemies that you can kill in two or three hits. You'll eventually find yourself in the Undead Burg area. That is where you should start.
Old 06-03-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 872 Likes on 643 Posts

What a waste.
None of this should be a surprise if you read anything about the game first. Hell, the back of the game box says "Prepare to Die!" in huge lettering. It wasn't joking...If you don't want people to be able to invade you, you can just disconnect from online or stay as a soul in the game, which is probably the better way to do it. This is definitely not a game for people who get frustrated easily.
Old 06-03-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I just started yesterday, but I think you made the same mistake I did at first. Don't go to the area with the skeletons yet. From the first bonfire, head to the right and up the long stairs. There you'll find a bunch of weak enemies that you can kill in two or three hits. You'll eventually find yourself in the Undead Burg area. That is where you should start.
Those enemies are all skeletons as well.
Old 06-03-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Hay we both get to play Dark Souls!!!!!! We are terrible parents
My daughter loves watching the game because the 8 year old finds it hilarious when I die.

Of course this lead to her drawing some art that would have gotten her sent to guidance if it had been at school. It was all these dead knights and monsters with one triumphant knight slaying a dragon. And on the ground someone had written "I did it."

It is now posted in my classroom at school.
Old 06-03-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Those enemies are all skeletons as well.
I guess. They're all clothed and armored, so they don't look like the skeletons that I'm guessing he's referring to. It is a moot point though; the point of my post was just that he's probably going the wrong way.
Old 06-03-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No I was in the Burg area. Not the reforming skeletons in the cemetery.

I'll probably play again eventually but I am beyond frustrated.
Old 06-03-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The game is all about patience. If you go in trying to hack & slash, you'll get killed every time. Even after I beat the game, my leveled up character was killed by those starting skeletons a few times when I was being careless. The game never gets easy.
Old 06-03-13, 12:01 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So without reading the whole thread, what is good advice for a beginner? I started as a thief. Probably died ten times already.

If you are a beginner, thief will be very challenging. Focus on dex, vit, and endurance. Learning to back stab is essential to playing this class

Also don't play the game blindly. Go on the net and get you a listing of what areas to do it what order. That will take some of the frustration out of the game. I am sure lots of folks head to areas they aren't prepared for early and give up. For instance alot of people head to the catacombs first -- terrible painful mistake.

Last edited by wlj; 06-03-13 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 12:04 PM
wlj

What a waste.

For starters you picked a terrible class to start with. A hunter will be brutal for a beginner. I always advise newbies to be a pyromancer for their first character. If you are early in the game, start over. Don't give up on it, your class choice is what is frustrating you.

No I was in the Burg area. Not the reforming skeletons in the cemetery.

I'll probably play again eventually but I am beyond frustrated.

Start over and change class. however if you are that frustrated take a break for a few days then start as a pyromancer. then focus putting your points into strength, vitality, and endurance. Pyromancy is not made stronger by increasing intelligence. Alot of people make that mistake.
Old 06-03-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Be patient and careful.
I wasn't kidding.

The game is all about patience. If you go in trying to hack & slash, you'll get killed every time. Even after I beat the game, my leveled up character was killed by those starting skeletons a few times when I was being careless. The game never gets easy.
Exactly. Every enemy must be approached as a potentially deadly threat. Modern games have taught people they can just blast through the little guys worry-free to get to the bosses. Not here.
Old 06-03-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay I'll start over again and go with a Pyro. I was definitely hacking and slashing. Everything about the game is fun just the deaths are ugh sometimes.
Old 06-04-13, 06:25 AM
wlj

Okay I'll start over again and go with a Pyro. I was definitely hacking and slashing. Everything about the game is fun just the deaths are ugh sometimes.

Make sure you concentrate on strength, endurance, and vitality. Also make sure you go online and get a guide of what areas to do when. That will save you a lot of frustration. Once you get the drake sword, things will get a little easier. Whenever you get accustomed to the combat and have patience you will realize that the game isn't as hard as you initially thought. The game will "click" for you soon and you will fall in love.

Oh yeah, don't put any points into resistance. That is a waste, that trait is useless.
Old 06-04-13, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure if updates changed it but pyro is definitely the way to go if you want to make the game easier. There's a certain boss later on which is damn near impossible without it.

That being said, and I'm not trying to discourage you from playing, but the game gets WAY harder. There were a few bosses which took me multiple tries and hours to beat.
Old 06-04-13, 07:39 AM
wlj

I'm not sure if updates changed it but pyro is definitely the way to go if you want to make the game easier. There's a certain boss later on which is damn near impossible without it.

That being said, and I'm not trying to discourage you from playing, but the game gets WAY harder. There were a few bosses which took me multiple tries and hours to beat.

we can agree to disagree there. i found that once i got the hang of the combat, the game became much more manageable. Also, if he takes the best route through the game. He should be leveled for each section adequately. There are some rather hard parts for sure -- Smough and Ornstein comes to mind first. That is the coolest boss fight and one of the hardest. I will be happy to post my preferred route through the game if nick wants.

Also, if you get stuck on a boss -- i have a youtube channel with TONS of Dark Souls gameplay videos that I made. www.youtube.com/greywolfsifdca

Also, if nick decides to get the Artorias of the Abyss DLC -- that is some hard stuff. I advise doing everything up until Lord Gwyn, then tackling that area. The regular foes aren't that big of a deal, but the 4 boss fights are BRUTAL.

Last edited by wlj; 06-04-13 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-04-13, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj
we can agree to disagree there. i found that once i got the hang of the combat, the game became much more manageable. Also, if he takes the best route through the game. He should be leveled for each section adequately. There are some rather hard parts for sure -- Smough and Ornstein is the main dudes that come to mind. That is the coolest boss fight and the hardest.
Biggie & Smalls is who I meant about having pyro to take out. I enjoyed the game more with each new section I went through but I found that the game got harder as you went on, even after being well leveled. Maybe I didn't have that initial learning curve since I was already used to Demon Souls.
Old 06-04-13, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I need to go back to this game. I never beat the bosses to ring the first bell.
Old 06-04-13, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, I'd say the best advice I could give is to make sure you start with the Master Key so you can avoid 80% of Blighttown. That area sucks.
Old 06-04-13, 09:09 AM
wlj

Actually, I'd say the best advice I could give is to make sure you start with the Master Key so you can avoid 80% of Blighttown. That area sucks.

VERY TRUE! That is very important, i had forgotten about telling nick that.
Old 06-04-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj
VERY TRUE! That is very important, i had forgotten about telling nick that.
I don't think I ever ended up going through the whole area. I took the back door in to beat the boss and eventually went back to get to that secret area with the Dragon Guild, or whatever it's called but I avoided being in there whenever possible.
Old 06-04-13, 09:23 AM
wlj

I don't think I ever ended up going through the whole area. I took the back door in to beat the boss and eventually went back to get to that secret area with the Dragon Guild, or whatever it's called but I avoided being in there whenever possible.

300+ hours of gameplay and I never went through all of Blighttown.
Old 06-04-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

Here a good character planner I found. You can pick a class see what stats and equipments do to that class. Hope it help.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.