Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Old 04-09-12, 07:17 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Originally Posted by MoviePage

come on From Software....give us 360 owners those new bosses as DLC.
Old 04-12-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since there's been plenty of discussion of the earlier title in this thread, just throwing out an FYI:

Demon's Souls Servers Shutting Down on May 31st
Old 04-13-12, 07:51 AM
wlj

Since there's been plenty of discussion of the earlier title in this thread, just throwing out an FYI:

well that sucks for Demon Souls players, especially since the game just came out in 2009. Maybe most of the community died off when Dark Souls was released, and they certainly are selling many Demon Souls games now for revenue. I just hope they don't shut Dark Souls down anytime soon, at least not until the next Souls game is released....my vote for the title is "Dead Souls"
Old 04-13-12, 07:53 AM
wlj

Please God let this be released as DLC.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzSqBfPQIEk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzSqBfPQIEk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>
Old 04-16-12, 11:37 AM
wlj

Have they released the system requirements yet? I am not a PC gamer, but if this isn't DLC for 360 -- I may be tempted to buy it on the PC. I got a new laptop last year that had a little bit of overkill in the video department. At least at the time I thought it did -- I purchased it in April 2011. Here are my specs, does it look like it might run something like Dark Souls or does my laptop suck for gaming?

Asus Laptop
Intel Core i5-430M Processor 2.26 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.53GHz

4GB of DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM, 2 slots, 8GB Max; Nvidia GT325M Graphics Engine with 1GB DDR3 VRAM

500GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM); Super Multi Optical Disk Drive; Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn; Intel WiDi

HDMI and VGA Ports; USB 3.0 port; 8-in-1 card reader; 2.0MP Webcam
16-Inch HD (1366x768) LED Display; Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System
Old 04-16-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that sucks since I haven't even opened my copy yet.
Old 04-16-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You've got exactly a month and a half. Go!
Old 04-16-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
Have they released the system requirements yet? I am not a PC gamer, but if this isn't DLC for 360 -- I may be tempted to buy it on the PC. I got a new laptop last year that had a little bit of overkill in the video department. At least at the time I thought it did -- I purchased it in April 2011. Here are my specs, does it look like it might run something like Dark Souls or does my laptop suck for gaming?

Asus Laptop
Intel Core i5-430M Processor 2.26 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.53GHz

4GB of DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM, 2 slots, 8GB Max; Nvidia GT325M Graphics Engine with 1GB DDR3 VRAM

500GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM); Super Multi Optical Disk Drive; Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn; Intel WiDi

HDMI and VGA Ports; USB 3.0 port; 8-in-1 card reader; 2.0MP Webcam
16-Inch HD (1366x768) LED Display; Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System
I think your best bet is to compare it with the performance of Skyrim. That particularly GPU could probably run Dark Souls in Low/Medium when it comes out (depending on the resolution), but I wouldn't expect much more out of it. My laptop has a Core i5 460M 2.53ghz w/ a Radeon HD 5650 GPU which is rated very slightly above the one you have and while it runs Skyrim it certainly struggles (1366x768 @ Medium), unless I overclock the hell out of it.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Compute...s.13849.0.html

Last edited by RichC2; 04-16-12 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 02:58 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think your best bet is to compare it with the performance of Skyrim. That particularly GPU could probably run Dark Souls in Low/Medium when it comes out (depending on the resolution), but I wouldn't expect much more out of it. My laptop has a Core i5 460M 2.53ghz w/ a Radeon HD 5650 GPU which is rated very slightly above the one you have and while it runs Skyrim it certainly struggles (1366x768 @ Medium), unless I overclock the hell out of it.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Compute...s.13849.0.html

i can't find a demo for skyrim PC online is there another game demo that would give me an idea of what my system could handle?

what does "overclocking" mean?

Last edited by wlj; 04-16-12 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wlj
i can't find a demo for skyrim PC online is there another game demo that would give me an idea of what my system could handle?

what does "overclocking" mean?
If you have to ask, don't even think about it. Its pretty much modding your CPU (or GPU) to run faster than its supposed to, drawing more power and generating more heat than normal. If you dont have a good cooling system or a beefy power supply and you monkey with it, it could fry your whole system.
Old 10-23-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

The DLC Artorias Of The Abyss is now released today for PS3 and 360 for $15.

I'm sure wlj is jumping for joy on hearing this.
Old 10-24-12, 04:41 AM

I've been playing the new content a bit tonight. It's really good; it feels great to come across enemies / bosses that will destroy you in a heartbeat after getting way too familiar with the core game.

I'd recommend being about Soul Level 50-60 before entering the new area; your mileage may vary, but you'll have to complete more than half the game to even access it, so consider the new content to be on par with taking on the "Lord Soul" bosses (Four Kings, Seath, etc). I rushed in at level 40 with a Dex. character and got my ass handed to me like I've never played the game before.

For the record, here's how to get to the new content, since it's not exactly obvious as to where it is:

You'll need to 'rescue' Dusk in Darkroot Basin. She's trapped in the golden crystal golem in the cove behind the Hydra, which you can get to by running around the lake to the left side. You'll need to exit/quit the game and reload for it to appear.

Once you've done that, go to The Duke's Archives, and after taking the first elevator up there will be a new blue crystal golem that will drop a broken pendant when killed. The golem will be there regardless of whether you've freed Dusk or even bought the DLC; it's part of the recent patch and will only drop the pendant if you have rescued Dusk.

Return to where Dusk was trapped in Darkroot Basin (behind the Hyrda; not where her summon sign is), and examine the... thing. Now prepare to die!

Also, for a good 'secret' challenge, after you beat the first boss (Sanctuary Guardian), go back to the boss room and there will be TWO of them to fight.
Old 10-24-12, 08:20 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by dom56
The DLC Artorias Of The Abyss is now released today for PS3 and 360 for $15.

I'm sure wlj is jumping for joy on hearing this.

I am the ultimate Dark Souls fanboy. i am 34 years old, so I should be called a "fanman"

I actually couldn't wait for the DLC and I bought the PC version earlier this month.

I have been playing games all of my life since the Atari 2600. I have never had a video game consume me like Dark Souls has. Between the 360 version and PC version I have almost 300 hours of game time. That is insane for me to have spent that much time on one game. honestly though, the game is a damn masterpiece.

With the PC version, I can now do Dark Souls videos! I am excited about that. here is my channel if anyone is interested (probably not haha)

http://www.youtube.com/user/GreyWolfSifDCA

Originally Posted by Poink
I've been playing the new content a bit tonight. It's really good; it feels great to come across enemies / bosses that will destroy you in a heartbeat after getting way too familiar with the core game.

I'd recommend being about Soul Level 50-60 before entering the new area; your mileage may vary, but you'll have to complete more than half the game to even access it, so consider the new content to be on par with taking on the "Lord Soul" bosses (Four Kings, Seath, etc). I rushed in at level 40 with a Dex. character and got my ass handed to me like I've never played the game before.

For the record, here's how to get to the new content, since it's not exactly obvious as to where it is:

You'll need to 'rescue' Dusk in Darkroot Basin. She's trapped in the golden crystal golem in the cove behind the Hydra, which you can get to by running around the lake to the left side. You'll need to exit/quit the game and reload for it to appear.

Once you've done that, go to The Duke's Archives, and after taking the first elevator up there will be a new blue crystal golem that will drop a broken pendant when killed. The golem will be there regardless of whether you've freed Dusk or even bought the DLC; it's part of the recent patch and will only drop the pendant if you have rescued Dusk.

Return to where Dusk was trapped in Darkroot Basin (behind the Hyrda; not where her summon sign is), and examine the... thing. Now prepare to die!

Also, for a good 'secret' challenge, after you beat the first boss (Sanctuary Guardian), go back to the boss room and there will be TWO of them to fight.

Yeah, no one would ever figure out how to access the new content without looking on the internet. You definitely need to be high level to do it. It is tough. It starts off with a bang with the Sanctuary Guardian. I still haven't completed all of the new content. I got there and then got the "itching" to do a Solaire build and started another playthrough. I am just using Solaire's gear the entire game and trying to build the character to what I feel his stats would be. I am having a blast. Praise the Sun!!!

Last edited by wlj; 10-24-12 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-24-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What ever happened to the GOTY edition that was supposed to come to consoles this month? Did that get scrapped?
Old 10-24-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oooh... this is out? Great! I got to the end boss but haven't been able to take him out... my plan is to play the DLC to get back into the swing of things and then take another crack at Gwyn.
Old 10-24-12, 03:53 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Oooh... this is out? Great! I got to the end boss but haven't been able to take him out... my plan is to play the DLC to get back into the swing of things and then take another crack at Gwyn.

just be prepared -- the DLC is very difficult, so it should get you into the swing of things quickly lol
Old 10-24-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dark Souls PC download version will be $20 on Amazon beginning Sunday, 10/28.

This is why I didn't get the DLC for 360 -- it's overpriced, and even though the game is one of my all-time favorites, I'd rather pay about the same price and get the full version of the game (DLC included) for a different system.
Old 10-25-12, 07:59 AM
wlj

This is why I didn't get the DLC for 360 -- it's overpriced, and even though the game is one of my all-time favorites, I'd rather pay about the same price and get the full version of the game (DLC included) for a different system.

true. if you have a good PC that can play the game fully with Durante's mods the game looks spectacular. From what I have seen in videos of course, my laptop plays the game below average, but still very playable and enjoyable.
Old 10-28-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Discounted price is live now (it's actually $19.90). Bought and downloaded earlier today, and was happy to discover that my laptop can actually run it. Can't wait to get back into the game again!
Old 10-29-12, 07:37 AM
wlj

that is a great deal. i was able to get it for $29.99 a few weeks ago which i was happy about, but $20 is downright amazing.
Old 12-21-12, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Just got this for $12.99 (Xbox 360) at Best Buy... looking forward to apparently being frustrated and having a good time!
Old 12-21-12, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered it off Amazon for $15 as a stocking stuffer for my son.
Old 12-21-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

^ that is why I bought it as well but he has a backlog right now so...
Old 12-21-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
^ that is why I bought it as well but he has a backlog right now so...
Hay we both get to play Dark Souls!!!!!! We are terrible parents
Old 06-02-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

So without reading the whole thread, what is good advice for a beginner? I started as a thief. Probably died ten times already.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.