Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Help: Have a 60GB PS3, worth trading? ...and for what/how much?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guy at work was telling me that the new PS3's aren't backward compatible, and I could probably get a decent amount for my 60GB launch PS3. I have only played 1 game on it (Resistance, at launch for about 30 minutes), and have only used it for Blu's. I have the original box, remote, cables, controller, etc...

Is it worth it to get rid of it, and can I get a new PS3 plus other goodies for it, or would it end up just being a wash? Sorry to ask about this, but I haven't followed anything about the PS3 since I got it.

Thanks a bunch,

S2K
Old 08-11-11, 07:56 PM

Re: Help: Have a 60GB PS3, worth trading? ...and for what/how much?

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I guy at work was telling me that the new PS3's aren't backward compatible, and I could probably get a decent amount for my 60GB launch PS3. I have only played 1 game on it (Resistance, at launch for about 30 minutes), and have only used it for Blu's. I have the original box, remote, cables, controller, etc...

Is it worth it to get rid of it, and can I get a new PS3 plus other goodies for it, or would it end up just being a wash? Sorry to ask about this, but I haven't followed anything about the PS3 since I got it.

Thanks a bunch,

S2K

I'm not an expert, but I can speak of someone who bought his first PS3 this year. I would not buy a used 60GB PS3 over a new one for 3 reasons: 1) YLOD issues with the early PS3's and not with the new slim ones, 2) New slim $299 (with $50 gift card if you look) offers 160 GB of storage, not quite 3 times the storage, 3) I generally like my new big purchases to be new.

As far as backwards compatibility, its nice, but I could always play stuff on my PS2 if I wanted and besides, the point of going up to the PS3 is to have the new cooler, better graphic games, while some would like to play older games on the PS3, it seems more of a gimmick than a real selling point.

Like I said, I'm not expert, just offering one consumer's opinion.

However, the good news is that you can try to sell it for whatever you want. If you sell it for your price, great, upgrade to the new one, if not, just keep what you got. Hard to imagine people paying more for an older PS3 than they could get a newer one for, but if backwards compatibility is that important to them, maybe the would.

Just my 2 cents.......
Old 08-11-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, I've kind of always looked at it that way, too. I've never even thought about getting rid of it, but the way the guy at work was talking, I wanted to see if was really worth it. Thanks for the post.
Old 08-12-11, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Thanks, I've kind of always looked at it that way, too. I've never even thought about getting rid of it, but the way the guy at work was talking, I wanted to see if was really worth it. Thanks for the post.
I'd check used prices on Amazon. Shipping cost will be a bear, but you might do ok with it. Gamestop recently ran a deal for $50 bouns if you trade toward a new system. You can keep your eye out there as they run deals from time to time that may make it worth your while.
Old 08-12-11, 09:39 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best case, you end up a wash...but I bet you will end up still being out 50 bucks or so...just keep it..
Old 08-12-11, 01:30 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

If you don't ever play games on it, why not replace it with a regular blu-ray player instead. A decent model is less than $100 now.
Old 08-13-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD
If you don't ever play games on it, why not replace it with a regular blu-ray player instead. A decent model is less than $100 now.
Thanks guys, kinda what I figured in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the PS3 as a Blu player. I've never had trouble playing a disc, updates are easy, etc...and, if Sony ever makes an exclusive that I'm interested in, I'm good to go.

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 08-13-11 at 08:44 PM. Reason: My spelling sucks