Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Quick 360 RROD Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick 360 RROD Question

My Elite that I've had since about January RROD'd this afternoon. With RB2 coming out on Sunday, I wasn't about to miss it, so I ran out real quick and bought a 360 Arcade to plug the hard drive into tonight and play.

I came home tonight, and for shits and giggles decided to try out the Elite...and it came right on. No problems at all.

Every quadrant was red-lighted except the upper right earlier today. Unplugged everything, plugged it back in, and it still didn't work...went to work, came home, and now it's working.

Is there a precedent for this? Should I keep ahold of the other 360 just in case? I was prepared tonight to ship it off to Micro$oft...now I'm not so sure.
Old 09-12-08, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It's dying slowly. Worst case scenario, it tears up your game discs and scratches them so much that they are unplayable.

Send it in.
Old 09-12-08, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will they even repair/replace it right now, though? Since it's not showing the RROD?
Old 09-12-08, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by abrg923
Will they even repair/replace it right now, though? Since it's not showing the RROD?
I've had my Elite since last July (year and 2 months of loooong gaming sessions), and I was playing online one day this past May and the power in the house flickered (must have been a quick outage) and my 360 clicked real loud and then showed the RROD. I turned it off and it then came on like normal.

I haven't had ANY problems with it before or since. It was a really weird situation.

Was there any extenuating circumstance that was happening at the time?
Old 09-12-08, 07:06 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had my system since Dec last year. About 2 weeks ago, the game froze and the only way I could get the game going again was to turn it off and on. A few minutes later it froze again and got a weird pixel grid on the screen. This time when I tried restarting it the three red lights came on. I waited about 20 minutes and it turned on and played fine for about 10 minutes and once again it froze. Once again I turned it on and the three red lights were on. I contacted Microsoft for repair, and they actually sent my system back as of yesterday.

I don’t know if it was repaired under the RROD warranty or my 1 year warranty, but I would NOT wait to send it in. Play a game for a bit and see if the RROD comes on. Games that you play online, and you host the game, like an online match of R6V2 that you host, are going to heat up your 360 faster, and it should crash again faster if you do have a problem.
Old 09-12-08, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Yeah, once you get the grid you are done for.
Old 09-12-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by foxdvd
I had my system since Dec last year. About 2 weeks ago, the game froze and the only way I could get the game going again was to turn it off and on. A few minutes later it froze again and got a weird pixel grid on the screen. This time when I tried restarting it the three red lights came on. I waited about 20 minutes and it turned on and played fine for about 10 minutes and once again it froze. Once again I turned it on and the three red lights were on. I contacted Microsoft for repair, and they actually sent my system back as of yesterday.
That's what happened with my Elite as well. They sent me a brand new one and now this one has green lines that flicker though the screen for the first 10 mins or so. I'm guessing it's the graphics card or something but I don't know if it's worth sending in yet. The thing will probably crap out around the time Gears 2 comes out knowing my luck.
Old 09-12-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
I've had my Elite since last July (year and 2 months of loooong gaming sessions), and I was playing online one day this past May and the power in the house flickered (must have been a quick outage) and my 360 clicked real loud and then showed the RROD. I turned it off and it then came on like normal.

I haven't had ANY problems with it before or since. It was a really weird situation.

Was there any extenuating circumstance that was happening at the time?
Not at all. I'd played the night before for about 90 minutes. I had just finished up some work on the computer, and was turning it on to play some Puzzle Quest for about half an hour...and boom. Tried it off and on for the next 60 minutes or so with no luck...then came home as I'd said after work and everything worked fine.
Old 08-07-11, 07:05 AM
Banned

Re: Quick 360 RROD Question

Originally Posted by abrg923
My Elite that I've had since about January RROD'd this afternoon. With RB2 coming out on Sunday, I wasn't about to miss it, so I ran out real quick and bought a 360 Arcade to plug the hard drive into tonight and play.

I came home tonight, and for shits and giggles decided to try out the Elite...and it came right on. No problems at all.

Every quadrant was red-lighted except the upper right earlier today. Unplugged everything, plugged it back in, and it still didn't work...went to work, came home, and now it's working.

Is there a precedent for this? Should I keep ahold of the other 360 just in case? I was prepared tonight to ship it off to Micro$oft...now I'm not so sure.
I hate to ressurect a thread from three years ago, but I'm glad I found it because this happened to me yesterday.

I have a console from a little over three years ago, (falcon chipset I think), and have never had any problem with it.

I played for about two hours. Everything was normal. Then I turned everything off to take care of something. Two hours later I came back to play some more and I was on for about 5 minutes when I got a weird 'white grid' distortion over the whole screen and everything was frozen. Turned it off, tried again and didn't get past the opening screen before it froze. After checking the internet, I removed the HD to see if that would make any difference and when I turned it back on I got the flashing red lights in every quadrant except the upper right. Turned it off, put the HD back on and immediately got the red lights again. So, I figured after a little over three years with this console, I'll be buying one of those new ones with the built in WiFi.

Now, today, I figure I'd turn it on and see what it did and it starts up just like normal. I played for about three hours and had no problem at all. Then I turned it off for five minutes, turned it back on and played for about 15 minutes with still no problem. I had just always heard the once you got the red lights that was it, but now I have no idea.

Over on the Gamespot forum, they state - "If all the lights besides the second quadrant are flashing red, then your console has merely over heated. Unplug the unit, let it cool for a while and make sure the console isnt sitting on something that will heat up the bottom. A cooling fan can be bought to help prevent this."

Maybe that's all it was, although, after three years this would be the first time that it's ever overheated. I keep it in a well-ventilated spot. Guess I'll just use until it completely craps out.
Old 08-07-11, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

^^ Sounds like the begining of the end. I've had this happen to me twice before it just dies.
Old 08-07-11, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Yup. We've all seen that before. It's never good. If it's more than three years old, you're probably fucked. At least you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much quieter the new ones are.
You can check for sure how long ago it was registered At www.xbox.com/support .if it's less than three years, once you get red lights call (800) 4MY-XBOX. they repair them pretty quickly, but figure a week shipping each way.
Old 08-08-11, 11:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker
Yup. We've all seen that before. It's never good. If it's more than three years old, you're probably fucked. At least you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much quieter the new ones are.
You can check for sure how long ago it was registered At www.xbox.com/support .if it's less than three years, once you get red lights call (800) 4MY-XBOX. they repair them pretty quickly, but figure a week shipping each way.
It was April of '08, so I'm beyond the warranty. I guess almost 3 1/2 years isn't bad, but I'll keep playing it until it dies for good.

And wouldn't you know, I just got FIOS about six months ago and finally bought the WiFi adapter for it, which I won't need for the new console. Oh well.