Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

YLOD... so now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 03:32 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
YLOD... so now what?

Anyone have any personal experience with this? any of the tricks or tips on youtube actually work to fix this, at least long enough so I can copy off my saved games?

it's a fat 80gb backwards compatible model bought in 2007. obviously its out of OM warranty, and my Target extended warranted ended in December of last year... figures.
Old 08-06-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YLOD... so now what?

I had my 80gb YLOD back in March. Won't even turn on long enough to get the disc out. Sorry I have no advice to offer other than to see if there's anywhere local to you that might offer repairs on it (local game or electronics shop), as they're undoubtedly cheaper than Sony. And not to sound negative, but everything I've heard says that once it happens, even with a repair, it'll happen again.
Old 08-06-11, 05:44 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
I had my 80gb YLOD back in March. Won't even turn on long enough to get the disc out. Sorry I have no advice to offer other than to see if there's anywhere local to you that might offer repairs on it (local game or electronics shop), as they're undoubtedly cheaper than Sony. And not to sound negative, but everything I've heard says that once it happens, even with a repair, it'll happen again.

yeah, I've resigned myself to the fact that I need to buy another one, and since I got 4+ years out of it, I'm not that torn up, but I'd like to at least get my saved games off...
Old 08-06-11, 05:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and btw, I also had a disc in when it YLOD'd on me, and found that if you tilt the thing down (so the disc would basically eject into the floor), turn off the unit with the switch in the back, then press and hold the eject button while you turn back on the unit with the back switch, the disc did finally eject... took about 20 tries tho
Old 08-06-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

YLOD? Is that a yellow light of death on a PS3? I fear of mine dying every day...I have a 60GB from launch and to this day I still don't game on it, only Blu's, so hopefully it lasts a while longer.
Old 08-07-11, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Oh, and btw, I also had a disc in when it YLOD'd on me, and found that if you tilt the thing down (so the disc would basically eject into the floor), turn off the unit with the switch in the back, then press and hold the eject button while you turn back on the unit with the back switch, the disc did finally eject... took about 20 tries tho
You don't actually need to tilt your PS3, but something like this right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKGU35FKSpY

Damn, I just had a brainstorm. How something like that would work on a slim PS3 with no switch at the back?

Last edited by JHBulls; 08-07-11 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-07-11, 11:34 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JHBulls
You don't actually need to tilt your PS3, but something like this right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKGU35FKSpY

Damn, I just had a brainstorm. How something like that would work on a slim PS3 with no switch at the back?
Yeah, exactly like that, however for me, it DIDN'T work UNTIL I tilted the unit...
Old 08-07-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, exactly like that, however for me, it DIDN'T work UNTIL I tilted the unit...
Might be the same for me, as I tried the suggested method when it 1st happened and no matter how many times I did, 'No disc for you'.
Old 08-08-11, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Welcome to the club. It's now a $300 paperweight. Say what you will about the RROD, at least Microsoft stood behind their product and fixed the 360 for free. The best Sony could muster was a discount on repairs IF you are a PS+ subscriber. Fuck you Sony.

Since I also read they are prone to breaking again, after being repaired, I bought a stand-alone BD unit. I figure if Sony doesn't even want to stand behind their own product, why should I?
Old 08-08-11, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
YLOD? Is that a yellow light of death on a PS3? I fear of mine dying every day...I have a 60GB from launch and to this day I still don't game on it, only Blu's, so hopefully it lasts a while longer.
Blus actually put more stress on parts of the system than games do. The disc drive, for example, since blus are constantly spinning while games only spin when data needs to be accessed.

I don't know how it contributes to the YLOD, but it does lead down the path of having to replace the laser diode.
Old 08-08-11, 04:56 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

so I dropped off the PS3 to some local guy on craiglist who states he fixes these things "the right way"... here is his ad:

fix any PS3 issue sometimes while you wait! No scams cheap prices many parts in stock. e-mail or call for availability..
YLOD includes reflux and reflow of your motherbord and the cleaning of every part inside your ps3 including fan, blu-ray drive and power supply plus inside chassis all for $50.00 sony will charge you 3 times that much plus shipping..
no charge if your ps3 cant be restored back to working condition.. i allso sell reconditioned ps3's many with a brand new laser installed and most times as low as $200 dollers even lower if your trading in a broken console..

Many Blu Ray Drives and Lasers in stock!!

**This is NOT the 45 minute ylod repair done with a heat gun that will only last 2 months tops! my repair consists of a reflow and reflux done with a precision oven specially designed for reflowing motherbords the repair itself takes 3 hours and will need to be dropped off..

5 yrs experience! credentials available... warranties on all parts and labor. Loaners of equal value available for the leary Craigs List Customers.. Secure shipping and payment through Pay Pal available.

I figured what they hell.... I only pay if he fixes it... and if he gets it going fot another 6-12 months it will allow me the chance to be patient and buy another one at a good price (remember when amazon was selling them for basically $200 back in December?) as well as get my saved games off of it.
Old 08-08-11, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Welcome to the club. It's now a $300 paperweight. Say what you will about the RROD, at least Microsoft stood behind their product and fixed the 360 for free. The best Sony could muster was a discount on repairs IF you are a PS+ subscriber. Fuck you Sony.

Since I also read they are prone to breaking again, after being repaired, I bought a stand-alone BD unit. I figure if Sony doesn't even want to stand behind their own product, why should I?
I'm not choosing sides here, as I've been equally F'd over by both, but I have to interject here to say that Microsoft stood behind it ONLY after it was far too obvious a problem.

My 360 RROD'd a good while after the issue was known by gamers and I still had to pay for a repair. And even with that, rather than my own fixed console, I instead received a refurb which smelled of electrical fire, cigarette smoke and something sour. The power brick that came with this wonderful remedy also always made a high pitched whine whenever the unit was on, as if the fan inside was about to blow. On top of that, it took over a year and more phone calls than I or anyone else should have had to make, for them to relicense my DLC. it was only about 6 months after even that that Microsoft even began thinking about extending the warranty to cover the RROD, and even then it didn't cover things like the E74 error as it did later on.
Old 08-08-11, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so I dropped off the PS3 to some local guy on craiglist who states he fixes these things "the right way"... here is his ad:
Where is he located? I'm also in MA. and would be interested in hearing of your experience once you get it back.
Old 08-08-11, 05:22 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Where is he located? I'm also in MA. and would be interested in hearing of your experience once you get it back.
He's in Dracut. You can also mail it to him. I live about 25 miles away actually, but was in the mood for a ride... I'll let you know how it all turned out.
Old 08-08-11, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks.
I'm about the same distance but shop up in Nashua from time to time so he's not out of the question.
Old 08-08-11, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
I don't know how it contributes to the YLOD, but it does lead down the path of having to replace the laser diode.
I'm not sure that's true. The Blu-ray laser seems to simply fail randomly, regardless of usage level. My brother-in-law's failed after less than a year. He played a number games on it, but only ever watched one Blu-ray movie. Mine failed after just over two years, having watched about 40 Blu-ray movies and playing only two games. I did quite a bit of research on forums at the time and among people that had the problem (and there were many), there seemed to be no correlation between the type or level of usage and the failure.
Old 08-08-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got lucky when this happened to my 60 GB system 2 months ago. I could not get the eject to work (I had InFamous 2 stuck inside it) so I took the unit apart and got it out. I bought a new PS3, but of course all of my old data was still "stuck" on my old PS3s drive. I reassembled the old PS3 and took it to a local place called Tekrepublic that was not only able to recover all of my game save data (along with media), but put my 320 GB drive in my new slim PS3. The cost? $0! They considered the reclaim on parts from the old PS3 (which I let them keep) was enough of an offset to the repair cost (they quoted me $40)!

Now I back up my system every two weeks on an external drive (formatted Fat32) and so far, so good. I had wanted to replace my older PS3 anyway - my new one runs much quieter and cooler.
Old 08-08-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

He's in Dracut. You can also mail it to him. I live about 25 miles away actually, but was in the mood for a ride... I'll let you know how it all turned out.

I do hope it goes well!
Old 08-08-11, 10:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07

I do hope it goes well!
ROFL. I know, I know... sounds shady... craigslist... no receipt... just dropped it off at some random guys townhouse... I figured the PS3 is useless to me now anyway... if I already owned a heatgun and the thermal paste I probably would have tried to fix it myself at least long enough to recover my saved games then junk it and buy new... but I didn't have the tools, and for but for $10 more, hopefully this guy will fix it permanently, clean it, etc... either way I'm buying a new PS3 slim when there is a good enough deal (ie: that amazon 160gb slim for $300 w/$100 amazon credit back from December)...
Old 08-08-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

My BC 80gig PS3 yellowed a few months ago as well - I took it to a local repair shop (that repairs hundreds of PS3 & 360s every month), and they couldn't get it running again - they tried all the well-know PS3 fixes and they have a lot of experience fixing them. At least they didn't charge me. I was mostly bummed at losing all my game saves. But my new PS3 is running well. Good luck. If they're able to fix it, ask them how and report back.
Old 08-08-11, 11:15 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
My BC 80gig PS3 yellowed a few months ago as well - I took it to a local repair shop (that repairs hundreds of PS3 & 360s every month), and they couldn't get it running again - they tried all the well-know PS3 fixes and they have a lot of experience fixing them. At least they didn't charge me. I was mostly bummed at losing all my game saves. But my new PS3 is running well. Good luck. If they're able to fix it, ask them how and report back.
I have high hopes that it can be fixed, because it would turn on and seemingly work fine for about 5 seconds (ie: the startup "wave" and music would show up on the screen) then promptly die and setoff the YLOD. It only did that at the FIRST startup of the day... any subsequent attempts did nothing.
Old 08-09-11, 04:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the guy claims he fixed it... and says that he ran it for about 5 hours playing blurays without any issue.... not sure when I will be able to pick it up and confirm, but it all sounds quite promising!
Old 08-10-11, 05:51 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

well, I picked it up, brought it home, and its working great... for how long? no idea... this guy gave me a 60 day warranty... so if anyone is in MA, or willing to mail it to him, the guy seems legit and quite professional.

here's his ad:

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/vgm/2540120458.html
Old 08-10-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the link
Old 08-11-11, 01:25 PM

well, I picked it up, brought it home, and its working great... for how long? no idea... this guy gave me a 60 day warranty... so if anyone is in MA, or willing to mail it to him, the guy seems legit and quite professional.

here's his ad:

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/vgm/2540120458.html
Good to hear it's worked out so far!

FYI - Everything I've read says that a reflow is only temporary. I had Gophermods (a reputable repair shop) reflow mine, and it lasted another 6 months. Hopefully yours will last long enough for you to get a replacement.

And remember to de-activate your PSN account on it before it dies again, if that's important to you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.