Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I suck at Black Ops multiplayer,and pretty much every other FPS MP

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: I suck at Black Ops multiplayer,and pretty much every other FPS MP

I am horrible at the run 'n gun FPS multiplayer, so I pretty much stick to co-op that I am actually pretty decent at.
Old 06-28-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard a report about 6 months ago that the age of the average gamer is 35. Age does make a difference since your reaction time and hand eye coordination aren't quite the same as when you were a teenager (which unfortunately populate alot of the multiplayer space). My advice :

1. Have fun. Yeah its great to pull off a 30-2 score however it is OK to go 6-15 if you are enjoying yourself. I will sometimes give myself a little challenge by using unconvetional (douchey) techniques more to make myself giggle than to get a great k/d. Remember, it's only a game.
2. Play Smart. Learning maps is nice but learning map flow is better. You should pay attention to where the enemy is spawning and where your team is spawning. If you can anticipate where players are running in from you will have the element of surprise on your side. As others have mentioned don't go running out into the middle of the map, stay on the perimeter, come around corners with your gun already raised. Don't camp - Play defensively - stake out one section of the map as yours - not one dark corner.
3. Play to your strengths. Know what weapons, attachments and perks suit your play style.
4. Invest in a decent headset. Using a stereo or surround headset makes a world of difference since sound plays a big part in most FPS
Old 06-28-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wlj
thanks for the tips everyone. I will try and put some of these into practice.

what is everyone's fav weapon in Black ops. I use the FAMAS the most which is considered the "noob" gun in the game by the "elite" players I have found out. I honestly miss my danger close perk with my grenade launcher -- it was fun to make all the 12 year olds rage.
The FAMAS is great but treyarch is going to nerf it by giving it a higher recoil and a slower aim speed whenever they drop the next update. I mainly like the Galil and the Commando but lately I've been having some good matches with the M16 with an ACOG scope
Old 06-28-11, 09:53 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It also makes a big difference if you are playing with a team.....when I play with my friends on TDM, my K/D ratio jumps up big time. When we play an objective mode on Black Ops...like Domination it falls to about 1.2/1...but that is because we play to win, not to get our K/D up. We have won many games of Domination where the other team averages 3/1 KD over us.

I play to have fun. When I play with my friends on TDM I can get my KD up to 3/1...unfortunately some of my friends suck, so I am forced to play Domination...so my K/D falls...

When I play a game by myself, or with only one of my friends, I have had games where my K/D falls to .80 or even lower....in a lot of games you are playing against 6 organized players who are communicating and no matter how good you are you are going to suck...

As someone mentioned games like Bad Company 2 can be fun with less than a 1.0 K/D....that was my average, and we won a lot of games...

My advice... play with at least 3 other friends, make one of them the team leader, and everyone work off of him. Practice this, get out of the me only thinking, and your K/D will go up without even trying...

I am over 40....
Old 06-28-11, 09:56 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you can't get that many friends together, try your hand at free for all games for a while...don't give up right away...after you learn how the maps play differently, you will find you do better...
Old 06-28-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You might also try some of the Hardcore TDM. I like it because people actually die when you shoot them, instead of pumping a full clip into them and they still knife you.

It's also slower paced. Which may help. (Make sure to have the ghost perk on)
Old 06-28-11, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cruzness
4. Invest in a decent headset. Using a stereo or surround headset makes a world of difference since sound plays a big part in most FPS
I second this recommendation. When I play at night I'm forced to wear a headset so I don't wake up the house, and even though it's only stereo it makes a world of a difference when it comes to hearing approaching footsteps.
Old 06-29-11, 08:20 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FAMAS is great but treyarch is going to nerf it by giving it a higher recoil and a slower aim speed whenever they drop the next update. I mainly like the Galil and the Commando but lately I've been having some good matches with the M16 with an ACOG scope
i think that patch came out a couple of days ago. I can tell a small difference when using the weapon. The recoil does seem stronger.

i think lag plays a big part in this game. last night I got killed alot by people that I should not have. i know that I started shooting first. i got pretty pissed off. i mean i don't have a lightning speed connection, but it should be more than efficient to play this game. 4.1 mb download/400 upload

is my upload speed holding me back? that is the only upload speed that is offered by my ISP.
Old 06-29-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure the bandwidth is sufficient. I would bet it's the latency between you and the host more than anything.
Old 06-29-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shumway
I'm sure the bandwidth is sufficient. I would bet it's the latency between you and the host more than anything.
Old 06-29-11, 11:41 AM
wlj

so does that mean the host sucks or i suck?
Old 06-29-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wlj
so does that mean the host sucks or i suck?
Neither, necessarily. It's not a matter of sucking as a whole. I think there is a way to restrict the criteria for matches geographically, but, am not 100% certain. If there is, I would suggest that and see if your lag issues go away. Your ISP isn't a satellite provider, is it?
Old 06-29-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
.8 is pretty good, I'd take that all day.
Wow. Mine is something like 1.3. I suddenly feel like a god!

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
most of the time i get raped because i get mad someone killed me and then i repeatedly run there to kill them and they kill me over and over...
That’s a rookie move unless you’re a stone cold killer. You gotta let shit slide or else you’re gonna boost your own death totals. I am guilty of this as I go after campers with reckless abandon.

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Another suggestion could be to trail one of your teammates and pick up any kills that they don't get. You'll also be able to avenge their death when they get shot down.
I can’t tell you how right you are. It’s basically impossible to kill two guys at the same time unless you launch a well placed grenade at them. I have had to really force myself to not try to shoot at both guys and basically get at least one kill in this scenario.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Dude you're going up against guys who sit and play these games all day. Abandon hope. You'll never win.
Not true. I don’t play all day. But I have noticed that the first match I play is always shit.

I heard a report about 6 months ago that the age of the average gamer is 35. Age does make a difference since your reaction time and hand eye coordination aren't quite the same as when you were a teenager (which unfortunately populate alot of the multiplayer space). My advice :

1. Have fun. Yeah its great to pull off a 30-2 score however it is OK to go 6-15 if you are enjoying yourself. I will sometimes give myself a little challenge by using unconvetional (douchey) techniques more to make myself giggle than to get a great k/d. Remember, it's only a game.
2. Play Smart. Learning maps is nice but learning map flow is better. You should pay attention to where the enemy is spawning and where your team is spawning. If you can anticipate where players are running in from you will have the element of surprise on your side. As others have mentioned don't go running out into the middle of the map, stay on the perimeter, come around corners with your gun already raised. Don't camp - Play defensively - stake out one section of the map as yours - not one dark corner.
3. Play to your strengths. Know what weapons, attachments and perks suit your play style.
1. You suck! What’s your Xbox name so I can find you and kill you?
2. Great advice. Here’s mine: As stupid as it may sound I use a technique I call “progressions” when I play (kinda like a QB looking at his receivers). I go from one spot to another in a certain pattern. I don’t run around the map all willy nilly. I run to a spot, check out what’s going on (hopefully getting a kill along the way)( and then run to the next spot. Usually I stop behind some cover to protect and/or hide me. I usually run around in the same direction a few times, and then go the other direction. When you do this, you’ll get a better feeling of the flow of the game.
3. Again, great advice. I’m not the best shot in the world so I use sleight of hand with every class I have. Also, I use a grenade launcher as I probably won’t nail someone with my gun from a long distance. In addition, the grenade launcher is great for blowing up campers.

Originally Posted by wlj
i think that patch came out a couple of days ago. I can tell a small difference when using the weapon. The recoil does seem stronger.
Is that right? I use the famas almost exclusively and was having a beast of a time nailing people. It took me almost three days to find my rhythm in fact. I was wondering why I couldn’t kill anyone all of a sudden.
Old 06-29-11, 02:35 PM
wlj

Neither, necessarily. It's not a matter of sucking as a whole. I think there is a way to restrict the criteria for matches geographically, but, am not 100% certain. If there is, I would suggest that and see if your lag issues go away. Your ISP isn't a satellite provider, is it?
no, I have DSL.

if you can filter matches geographically that would be great, how can i do that?
Old 06-29-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Team Fortress 2, which is now free on PC and Mac, might me up your alley as it's a FPS with more options than your regular FPS (as it's team oriented, not single player).
this. play the medic, ubercharge your heavies, enjoy!
Old 06-30-11, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by madcougar
Wow. Mine is something like 1.3. I suddenly feel like a god!
Mine is somewhere around the 1.1-1.2 range. I always start off pretty awful (0.5) in all the CoD games and once I learn the maps I think I'm closer to 2.
Not true. I don’t play all day. But I have noticed that the first match I play is always shit.
What I like to call my warmup match.
1. You suck! What’s your Xbox name so I can find you and kill you?
Only play on PSN.
2. Great advice. Here’s mine: As stupid as it may sound I use a technique I call “progressions” when I play (kinda like a QB looking at his receivers). I go from one spot to another in a certain pattern. I don’t run around the map all willy nilly. I run to a spot, check out what’s going on (hopefully getting a kill along the way)( and then run to the next spot. Usually I stop behind some cover to protect and/or hide me. I usually run around in the same direction a few times, and then go the other direction. When you do this, you’ll get a better feeling of the flow of the game.
Very sound advice.
3. Again, great advice. I’m not the best shot in the world so I use sleight of hand with every class I have. Also, I use a grenade launcher as I probably won’t nail someone with my gun from a long distance. In addition, the grenade launcher is great for blowing up campers.
You get yelled a lot about how you are "a fu@$in noobtuber", don't ya?
Is that right? I use the famas almost exclusively and was having a beast of a time nailing people. It took me almost three days to find my rhythm in fact. I was wondering why I couldn’t kill anyone all of a sudden.
I noticed last night the kick was little more unpredictable and it didn't snap up as sharply when I aimed down sight.
Old 06-30-11, 09:12 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty good on objective games like Domination (I'm freakishly good w/ my kills), in FFA or TDM scenario i'm all over the place. I stay in the positive but it's not my best. I think i'm at a 1.08 last I checked.
Old 06-30-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

My overall K/D is .86, but that's because I like to switch weapon sets and use everything that's available to me. When I play with my favorite weapons/perks/equipment, my K/D is 2/1. Favorites being the Enfield and MP5, with semtex grenade, claymore, Ghost/Warlord/Ninja
Old 06-30-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You get yelled a lot about how you are "a fu@$in noobtuber", don't ya?
Yep. I don't let that bother me. I don't run around with the grenade launcher engaged (or worse with an RPG loaded on my shoulder). But if I'm about to run into an open area, I'll engage the grenade launcher for a few seconds then unengage it as I approach the end of the open area.

In all honesty, I mostly use it to blast campers' hidey holes. I love shooting one into that trailer in Firing Range for example - especially when jackasses camp proped up on the corner. I've gotten so good at it I can blast campers in Nuketown from the opposite side of the map.

I mean, come on, you can't be prestige 12 and be a noob tuber...
Old 07-01-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep. I don't let that bother me. I don't run around with the grenade launcher engaged (or worse with an RPG loaded on my shoulder). But if I'm about to run into an open area, I'll engage the grenade launcher for a few seconds then unengage it as I approach the end of the open area.

In all honesty, I mostly use it to blast campers' hidey holes. I love shooting one into that trailer in Firing Range for example - especially when jackasses camp proped up on the corner. I've gotten so good at it I can blast campers in Nuketown from the opposite side of the map.

I mean, come on, you can't be prestige 12 and be a noob tuber...
One of my douchier styles of play is all about keeping them on their heels. I will start off with a lightweight class and equip a RPG get the first couple of quick strike kills to make them tentative to rush forward. I then switch to a Ghost pro silenced class to flank them get a few kils and get them watching their flank. Then I go back to the lightweight RPGs and come straight at them (rinse, lather, repeat). I like to think it messes with opponents head (I like the idea of psychological warfare and the way I see it - as an older gamer I have to be more of a cerebral tactician in order to make up for my lack of hand eye coordination - plus it is funny). I constantly change classes to get the upper hand.
Old 07-01-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my douchier styles of play is all about keeping them on their heels. I will start off with a lightweight class and equip a RPG get the first couple of quick strike kills to make them tentative to rush forward. I then switch to a Ghost pro silenced class to flank them get a few kils and get them watching their flank. Then I go back to the lightweight RPGs and come straight at them (rinse, lather, repeat). I like to think it messes with opponents head (I like the idea of psychological warfare and the way I see it - as an older gamer I have to be more of a cerebral tactician in order to make up for my lack of hand eye coordination - plus it is funny). I constantly change classes to get the upper hand.
What a giant douche. Next time I meet you in game I'm standing behind you and cooking a grenade.
Old 07-01-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I get worse and worse at FPS my son on the other hand is always in the top 2 round after round on Black Ops. Last night I decided to get something fun with some credit and got Donkey Kong Country returns and while I was able to kick total ass he was like a fish outta water. But that only lasted about 20 mins and then he got the hang of it. SOB
Old 07-01-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
What a giant douche. Next time I meet you in game I'm standing behind you and cooking a grenade.
But you will already be dead whn I suicide kill us with the RPG.
Old 07-01-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't consider that "douchey" at all. It sounds pretty smart. To me a douche is a camper or those idiots who run around with an RPG trying to hit you. If they're on your team, you can damn well be prepared to lose. My son actually switches classes during a match. I swear it's like he's ADD or something. Whereas he can play many differnet styles (he can snipe like no one's business as well as run around with his balistic knife killing everyone), I run and gun. That's it.

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Man I get worse and worse at FPS my son on the other hand is always in the top 2 round after round on Black Ops. Last night I decided to get something fun with some credit and got Donkey Kong Country returns and while I was able to kick total ass he was like a fish outta water. But that only lasted about 20 mins and then he got the hang of it. SOB
My son has been playing video games since he was two. I couldn't keep him away from my Gamecube. He also loved gaming on my old school NES and Supernintendo. It amazes me how quickly he picks up games. His Achilles' heel as it were is that he lacks patience.
Old 07-01-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't consider that "douchey" at all. It sounds pretty smart. To me a douche is a camper or those idiots who run around with an RPG trying to hit you. If they're on your team, you can damn well be prepared to lose. My son actually switches classes during a match. I swear it's like he's ADD or something. Whereas he can play many differnet styles (he can snipe like no one's business as well as run around with his balistic knife killing everyone), I run and gun. That's it.
But I do run around like that sometimes ...... and laugh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.