I suck at Black Ops multiplayer,and pretty much every other FPS MP

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-27-11, 12:20 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love playing FPS multiplayer, but I suck at it. I finish near the bottom 75% of the time. I have like a .80 K/D ratio. Any advice? Is it just my old age (32 years old) and my reflexes just aren't there anymore? I used to think it was because my internet connection sucked, but I have one that is 3 times as fast now and I still play the same. I thought I had gotten pretty decent with Modern Warfare 2, but since owning Black ops -- I realize how much I relied on stacking kill streaks in MW2 to get my kills. It turns out that I didn't actually shoot that many people. I let my care packages with hopefully harrier and pavelow do the work for me. Anybody else in the same boat as me?
Old 06-27-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I suck at Black Ops multiplayer,and pretty much every other FPS MP

Same boat, only I don't let it bother me. I know I'm below-average to mediocre but play the modes I enjoy. BFBC2 is a game where you can score at the top, make a real difference in winning, and still not have that great of a K/D ratio.

Also, I know some very good players, like Cruz, nic, and Sauce, that are in the same age range and have much better K/D so age doesn't have to matter.
Old 06-27-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

.80 is bad? LOL!

Unless you are below .50 I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe try a game with better matchmaking?
Old 06-27-11, 12:41 PM
wlj

what mode is best for people that suck? i enjoy Ground War, Team Deathmatch and Free For All.
Old 06-27-11, 12:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The objective-based modes give those who perhaps aren't the best at shooting a chance to shine.
Old 06-27-11, 12:54 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by Groucho
The objective-based modes give those who perhaps aren't the best at shooting a chance to shine.
except for Search and Destroy...i get killed right away and have to wait till game is over to start back. LOL
Old 06-27-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Battlefield is less focused on KDR and is more team based. I really sucked because I had never played any FPS in years (since Doom on pc) The more I play the better I'm getting. I average around 1.00 to .90 KDR now, but I always go for the objective and stick with my squad taking flags/MComs. Also learning the kits and knowing when to play them makes a difference.
I've seen alot of Medic noobs on Heavy Metal maps just so they can spray and pray but that class is not effective on that style map.
I'm 41 and have noticed a slight reaction time difference but nothing that can't be overcome with practice. I also know that I'll never be one of those elite guys but I usually end up in the top 5 on the scoreboard, and that's without playing Medic which is the easiest class to score mucho points.
I can't aim for shit either so I use the USAS (auto shotty) which compensates for my piss poor aim. LOL.

FPSfreeks on my controller have helped me improve as well.
Old 06-27-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

If only they could get rid of those fucking snipers fps multiplayer would be more fun.
Old 06-27-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

.8 is pretty good, I'd take that all day.
Old 06-27-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suck at most FPS multiplayers. The only time I saw myself become somewhat decent is when I spent an inordinate amount of time with Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and the occasional Halo 3 deathmatch when they went to strictly hammers or swords . I might dive back into the waters with Duke Nukem for review purposes but I doubt I'll stick with it. I didn't touch a FPS until I was in college (and I'm now 35). A lot of these kids and young adults grew up with it so its almost as if I am at a disadvantage, but I learned to live with it.
Old 06-27-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
I love playing FPS multiplayer, but I suck at it. I finish near the bottom 75% of the time. I have like a .80 K/D ratio. Any advice? Is it just my old age (32 years old) and my reflexes just aren't there anymore? I used to think it was because my internet connection sucked, but I have one that is 3 times as fast now and I still play the same. I thought I had gotten pretty decent with Modern Warfare 2, but since owning Black ops -- I realize how much I relied on stacking kill streaks in MW2 to get my kills. It turns out that I didn't actually shoot that many people. I let my care packages with hopefully harrier and pavelow do the work for me. Anybody else in the same boat as me?
I don't know about your style of play, but maybe slow down? Take the corners with your sites ready to go. Anticipate where you think players will be. Just don't go rushing around corners. Also, don't just charge up the middle of the map. Try staying to the outside of the map and flanking the other team.

And when all else fails, camp. Pick a spot you can defend properly, set up some claymores, and pick people off. Don't be one of those people who just sits in a random dark corner though. I can't imagine how boring that style of play must be.

Those types of changes in my play have helped me out. I don't have the greatest KD, (1.08 in MW2, 1.30 in BO) but it allows me to the enjoy the game much more. Try to think strategy more than reflexes because with these games sometimes no matter how fast you can get your sites up, that person's connection is just that much faster, and you get fucked. That's the reason why you can be three steps around a corner on your screen, but get killed like you never turned it on theirs.
Old 06-27-11, 02:27 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by Rob V
.8 is pretty good, I'd take that all day.
Really? i usually always finish in the bottom 3.
Old 06-27-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shumway
Same boat, only I don't let it bother me. I know I'm below-average to mediocre but play the modes I enjoy. BFBC2 is a game where you can score at the top, make a real difference in winning, and still not have that great of a K/D ratio.

Also, I know some very good players, like Cruz, nic, and Sauce, that are in the same age range and have much better K/D so age doesn't have to matter.
Wait...I'm good? Beating up on you doesn't make me good
Old 06-27-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

My best advice is to slow down. You don't have to camp, but find an area you can keep the enemy in front of you, use decoys and let them come to you. Kill a few and then move on to another spot.

Pay attention to the map and where the enemy is. Also just as important is to try to keep track on where your teamates are. Having a general idea of where people are on your flank is great, that way if you see them die, you can anticipate where the enemy is coming from.

This technique works the best for me. I play nothing but team deathmatch though. 2.71 k/d
Old 06-27-11, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by shumway
just wait until slider sees you left him out...you better start protecting your neck!

Originally Posted by wlj

yeah, I'm 33 and I suck too...but I have always sucked. it never stopped me from playing. Nic and I have been playing Madden and NCAA FB since we were 19 or 20 on ps1 and he has always been better than me, his reactions are just quicker. I still can't figure out how anyone can deke on NHL or control where their shot goes or how anyone can make Eddie breakdance and kick the shit out of anyone on Street Fighter, so I just truck along in my mediocrety and have fun.

My advice, like thematahara said, just slow down and take your time, and pay attention. most of the time i get raped because i get mad someone killed me and then i repeatedly run there to kill them and they kill me over and over...

I also think the amount of time some people play gives them a huge advantage. I find that right after map packs launch, I'm better at killing people and i think that is because we are all new to the maps, but within a few weeks, the amount of time they have been playing gives them the advantage, and "OH NO! I SUCK AGAIN!"

at 32, yeah, you are old, but you also have a ton of stuff to do that the average 14-22 year old doesnt, so they play all day.
Old 06-27-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

I agree with those who said slow down. In fact, before you do that learn the maps. You'll have a better idea of where you are vulnerable and how quickly somebody should be able to make it to your position with certain perks. Then, slow down and be aware of your surroundings.
Old 06-27-11, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by wlj
It turns out that I didn't actually shoot that many people.

this makes me laugh. Like when an announcer says the team who scores more points wins.
Old 06-27-11, 03:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Another suggestion could be to trail one of your teammates and pick up any kills that they don't get. You'll also be able to avenge their death when they get shot down.
Old 06-27-11, 04:00 PM
wlj

thanks for the tips everyone. I will try and put some of these into practice.

what is everyone's fav weapon in Black ops. I use the FAMAS the most which is considered the "noob" gun in the game by the "elite" players I have found out. I honestly miss my danger close perk with my grenade launcher -- it was fun to make all the 12 year olds rage.
Old 06-27-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In BF BC2 i have a 0.87 K/D and Black Ops(although i haven't been playing much lately) i think i was around 0.8 also. Gears of War i'm like 0.4 I still enjoy them and every once and awhile i get on a good run and have a round where i'm not in last place. I do get frustrated though at times when i have a whole buncha bad rounds in a row and that's when i wonder why i play the shooters. Overall i enjoy them even though I ain't so great at them.
Old 06-27-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Dude you're going up against guys who sit and play these games all day. Abandon hope. You'll never win.
Old 06-27-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Not everyone with a good K/D plays all the time. I probably play maybe 3 hours a week, but I've been playing since COD4 and my K/D has gone up with each game that has come out, Black Ops being my highest at 2.71.

I can somewhat get people that are badass and play all the time, but the other night I played with a guy who had a .40 k/d with 32days worth of playing time!! To play that much to begin with is rediculous, but to play something that much that you suck at boggles my mind.
Old 06-27-11, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Team Fortress 2, which is now free on PC and Mac, might me up your alley as it's a FPS with more options than your regular FPS (as it's team oriented, not single player).
Old 06-28-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Dude you're going up against guys who sit and play these games all day. Abandon hope. You'll never win.
It doesn't always matter. My friend plays all the time, but he sits there around a .8 because he refuses to employ much of any strategy.
Old 06-28-11, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I"m terrible at modern FPS games. I was really good at CS 1.6 and source with a 2-1 KDR, but for some reason I can't adjust to the new games.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.