Reload this Page >

Aliens: Colonial Marines (Gearbox, Sega) - Spring 2012

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Aliens: Colonial Marines (Gearbox, Sega) - Spring 2012

Old 02-15-13, 11:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines (Gearbox, Sega) - Spring 2012

Last edited by Supermallet; 02-16-13 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-16-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Well, morbid curiosity got the best of me and I tried this game rental last night. Played the first few missions. Yeah, it's not very good, is it? Unfortunately, it's not as hilariously bad as I had hoped either. Just another boring FPS (or first-person door opener as that video guy said). Looks really ugly. I didn't get the Aliens all ignoring me, but they do like to dance about in your targeting reticule. They're shockingly easy to kill -- just a few bullets in the back and they crumple. Have these developers even seen an Alien film? They need to have far fewer, far tougher xenomorphs.

I did get one funny glitch : I was fighting a bunch of clone-looking marine guys (for some reason I'm fuzzy on), when targeting one guy too low and unloading a clip in him, his right leg pops off below the knee like the Black Knight in Holy Grail and he topples over like a tree. That was funny.
Old 02-16-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally sent mine back today. Amazon telling me they're going to deduct almost $5 from my refund of shipping because it's not their error. Now I'm going to have to wait for the CEs to drop to $15 instead of $20 before I re-order for that sweet, sweet statue.
Old 02-16-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, next weekend then?
Old 02-16-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Well...it just keeps on pouring down on Gearbox.....

Players Reporting Issues With Aliens: CM Deleting Saves

It's been a bad week for Gearbox and Sega. Aliens: Colonial Marines immediately became a laughingstock when it released on Tuesday, with critics and gamers alike reaming the title for its obvious quality issues. From the looks of Gearbox's message board, one of those issues may involve deleted game saves on Xbox 360.

Apparently, this bug is triggered when the Xbox 360's cache is cleared. Several players loaded up the game after doing this, only to find that their game saves were nowhere to be found. Others are claiming that the same happened to them without any cache activity.

Are any of you 360 players experiencing said issue? To add to that question...why the hell are you playing Aliens: Colonial Marines

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ns-cm-bug.aspx
Happened to me. When I went to delete my game install, my save game was gone. Not that I care...
Old 02-16-13, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Finally sent mine back today. Amazon telling me they're going to deduct almost $5 from my refund of shipping because it's not their error. Now I'm going to have to wait for the CEs to drop to $15 instead of $20 before I re-order for that sweet, sweet statue.
You should have told a white lie and come across as a super-geeky collector. Said you noticed an imperfection in the paint detail and you could never tolerate that in your collection. Flawed statute is a legitimate reason for a return. Hopelessly flawed game isn't. Doesn't seen fair.
Old 02-16-13, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did contemplate hitting back to change the reason, but I just wanted it to be over with.

I did leave Gearbox a nasty note in the comments section, not that that'll matter.
Old 02-17-13, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll still get the Wii U version of this, if it doesn't get cancelled. No interest in the other versions. I'll probably pick up that AvP game from 2010, otherwise.
Old 02-17-13, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Happened to me. When I went to delete my game install, my save game was gone. Not that I care...
Same here. Went to delete the game install and noticed the game data was nowhere to be found. Oh well.
Old 02-17-13, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

The only part of this game I want is the cover art...which is probably the best part.

Old 02-17-13, 09:44 AM

That's cool looking, and shows a xenomorph apparently oblivious to four heavily-armed marines who are standing right next to him; so it's accurate too.
Old 02-17-13, 09:49 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it is amazing a game this bad has a thread so strong....just goes to show you how much potential a game like Aliens has...

As I played Dead Space 3 I kept thinking how great of a job Visceral games could do with Aliens, using the visceral engine.
Old 02-18-13, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I usually grow tired of Jim Sterling's rants on Destructoid but I simply had to download the newest Podtoid podcast to hear what he had to say about all this nonsense. He was pretty professional and well spoken for someone who loves to curse and made extremely rude remarks.

Pretty soon I am going to just unfollow Pitchford on Twitter but I really want to wait it out a bit and see if he can stop giving out Shift codes long enough to explain the this clusterfuck.
Old 02-18-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

<embed src="http://cdn2.escapistmagazine.com/media/global/movies/player/flowplayer.commercial-3.2.12.swf" flashvars="config=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/config/6863-fbba302ad78ecd8891c7724636ae5ffe.js%3Fplayer_version%3D2.5%26embed%3D1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" width="650" height="391" wmode="opaque"></embed>
Old 02-18-13, 05:57 PM

Im sorry, but playing this game on hardened im truly enjoying it. It reminds me a lot of the Doom 3 days. I'm also a huge fan of anything Alien. I honestly think everyone is completely over-reacting, then again im playing on the PC which seems to be a whole different ballpark. I also think everyone is so over the top with bad reviews becuase the hype was so high on this game. IMO the hype is what killed it. Its by no means anything new, but neither was Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey, ETC - different age and different expectations is what "killed" it in my opinion.
Old 02-18-13, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright, let's get this out of the way. Do you work for Gearbox or Sega?
Old 02-18-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Preach it, Sterling.
Old 02-18-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

What hype? I missed it.
Old 02-18-13, 10:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
<embed src="http://cdn2.escapistmagazine.com/media/global/movies/player/flowplayer.commercial-3.2.12.swf" flashvars="config=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/config/6863-fbba302ad78ecd8891c7724636ae5ffe.js%3Fplayer_version%3D2.5%26embed%3D1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" width="650" height="391" wmode="opaque"></embed>
It's a rant, but it's a good rant.
Old 02-19-13, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoy Sterling in small doses but when a really important problem arises in the video gaming community I enjoy his far from subtle approach I certainly give him more of my attention.
Old 02-19-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Found the design document for the AI of the aliens...

Spoiler:
Old 02-25-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts

Gearbox "Stole" From SEGA to Fund Other Projects, Claims Alleged SEGA Employee

Since its release Aliens: Colonial Marines has picked up negative attention well beyond simple poor review scores.

As well as suggestions that the game was outsourced by Gearbox to Section 8 developer TimeGate, it has also been alleged that Gearbox basically left the game to die.

And now, it gets worse. A statement from someone who claims to be a SEGA employee says that Gearbox’s treatment of Aliens: Colonial Marines and its dealings with SEGA are tantamount to “theft.”

This latest development comes from someone going under the name of Bryan Danielson, on a blog called SEGA Awakens. Danielson said that while Timegate and SEGA are also responsible for the poor quality of Aliens: Colonial Marines, Gearbox is guilty of “embezzelment.”

“Gearbox stole from SEGA,” said Danielson. “They robbed us, lied to us about the game, and tried to get another company to make the game instead.

“Pitchford and Gearbox wanted to focus heavily on Duke Nukem Forever, but how would they get the money to hire some of the 3D Realms team and even buy the intellectual property?

“Sure, they made a lot from Borderlands, but guess where they got the money to fund Borderlands in the first place? Yup, SEGA.

“So Gearbox essentially lied to SEGA, mishandled funds, broke agreements and contractual obligations to work on other projects, didn’t want to work on a game they were contractually obligated to work on and gave it to another team, poor organization and direction on ACM, took on too many projects from different companies at once, and other things that we may not even know about.

“Hell, part of me believes that Gearbox wanted this thing delayed as much as possible so they can get more funding money to embezzle from SEGA.”

Danielson said that he has heard rumours that SEGA was looking to sue Gearbox, but that Gearbox had fulfilled its contract, despite the poor quality of the game and the repeated delays on the project.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was first announced as a Gearbox project back in December 2006, missing numerous release windows before hitting shelves earlier this month on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. A Wii U version of the game is due next month, but that’s supposed to be the weakest of the lot.

“I strongly believe that SEGA should not have released the game and made the fans pay for it, they should have taken Gearbox straight to court, because they stole money from us to fund Borderlands and Duke Nukem Forever,” said Danielson.

“This should be a lesson in management for you all. In my view, the board and the people supplying the money should not have any creative control over a product. In this case, what happened clearly was SEGA had a decent eye on the project, rightfully cancelled it, when they saw the problems, then someone decided to restart the project, leading to this massive mess.

“This game should have been cancelled permanently, and the final product is undeniable proof of it. Despite that, I believe SEGA wanted to try to get some of the money back, at the fans’ expense. SEGA should have also watched the project and development a lot better, because there was a lot of warning signs that said this was a disaster in the making.”

Before release it was suggested by an ex-Gearbox employee that Aliens: Colonial Marines had been largely outsourced to Timegate, a studio with a solid if uninspiring development history.

“Gearbox isn’t even making the game, except for the multiplayer,” said the source. “Primary development was outsourced to TimeGate Studios, which has a less than stellar past. I hope it proves me wrong, as I still have a lot of friends still working at Gearbox, but I am expecting it to be average at best.”

SEGA denied the claims, while Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford said that TimeGate contributed about 20-25 per cent of the work, Nerve Software created the game’s multiplayer and Gearbox handled the rest.

However, Rossinna-Sama, a moderator on the official TimeGate forums disagreed.

"They [TimeGate] are responsible for the weapons, the characters, some of the story, a fair amount of the aliens, and I don't mean conceptualisation, they did the actual work of making said weapons and so on,” said Rossinna-Sama.

Interestingly, however, there was confusion even within TimeGate, as to how much the studio had contributed.

"The game underwent a lot of changes so TG doesn't actually know how much of their content is left," Rossinna-Sama added. "Some had the estimate that 50 per cent of what you see in the campaign is their work, others wanted to see for themselves and would get back to me after playing the game themselves."

These changes are further proof of what someone claiming to be a Gearbox employee says was a development period marked by creative differences and conflicting visions.

Apparently, Gearbox began the production of Aliens: Colonial Marines back in 2006, before handing it over to TimeGate in 2010. However, when TimeGate took the lead it threw out much of Gearbox’s work, including all of the art and design that had been churned out over the proceeding four years.

So when Gearbox shipped Borderlands 2 and took back Aliens: Colonial Marines it was horrified to find that the game was in a “pretty horrid state.”

“Campaign didn't make much sense, the boss fights weren't implemented, PS3 was way over memory, etcetcetc. GBX was pretty unhappy with TG's work, and some of Campaign maps were just completely redesigned from scratch,” said a Gearbox source.

“There were some last minute feature requests, most notably female marines, and the general consensus among GBX devs was that there was no way this game was going to be good by ship. There just wasn't enough time.”

As a result, many developers at Gearbox didn’t want to work on the game, but as the company had already asked SEGA for numerous extensions, they restarted what they could, patched up what they could, and shipped it.

This would seem to be evidenced up by the huge differences in quality between a demo shown to press last year and the final product. Indeed, such has been the intrigue surrounding the game that Randy Pitchford has been forced to address the matter publicly. In an manner of speaking.

"That is understood and fair and we are looking at that. Lots of info to parse, lots of stake holders to respect," he wrote on Twitter. It’s the last official word we’ve had on the subject.

So perhaps we’ll never know the truth about the troubled development of Aliens: Colonial Marines, but from various people close to the project it looks as if we already have a decent idea. The whole thing is a mess.

We can't remember such a high profile title in recent years, that has fallen so far amidst so much acrimony.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...-Employee.html
Old 02-25-13, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

That's a lot of butt-hurt.
Old 02-25-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe, but in this case the butt that's hurt is likely going to have some legal legs under it.
Old 02-26-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't believe any of those posts unless I saw a lawsuit.

Gearbox screwed up, will we ever get the big picture? Maybe, maybe not.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.